HAWAII MIGHT WANT TESTING EVEN IF VACCINATED

Ronnieslady

Does  anyone know what Princess would do if Hawaii requires testing 72 hours before being allowed to port.  ?????
Would they test those that want to get off the ship or just cancel our cruise??????

We are supposed to sail this November 5th for 15 days, from LA on the Grand .

Any input is appreciated.

As of today, Hawaii is not going to change their pre-arrival testing policy.   But as you inquired, no one can tell the future of cruising to Hawaii.

My best guess is that you will have to test prior to boarding any Princess ship until December 31.  With a 5 day transit, that should "quarantine" everyone on the ship.  

To ease your mind, it is not the "tourist" bringing in the virus.  It's the unvaccinated and large clusters that are community related.  Several (mostly unvaccinated) residents have taken trips to the mainland (Las Vegas) and returned without testing first.  There is no way to really do a 10 day quarantine in multi-family dwellings.  

Passengers will find that many restaurants/events/etc will be very limited.  Our numbers are really too high for anyone's comfort.  Unless these numbers see a drastic downturn, there will be many changes to life in Hawaii.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Test on board. Their onboard medical is able to do both antigen and PCR test and to analyze the tests in their onboard facilities. 

I don't think the ship can handle 2,000+ tests.  And Hawaii has required the PCR test.

Edited by LACruiser88
error

1 hour ago, Ronnieslady said:

Does  anyone know what Princess would do if Hawaii requires testing 72 hours before being allowed to port.  ?????
Would they test those that want to get off the ship or just cancel our cruise??????

We are supposed to sail this November 5th for 15 days, from LA on the Grand .

Any input is appreciated.

We lived in Hawaii for many years and have been here on Hawaii Island for 3 months now......we are headed back to the mainland this week, a month early, because on Hawaii Island the hospitals are full because of Covid patients and it would be hard to get treated if you had a serious accident or worse.

The state is projected to peak sometime in October with 3,700 daily cases if nothing changes.  The mayor of Hawaii Island has requested pre-travel testing to return again along with closing of all beaches and parks on the island plus restricting restaurants, bars and other businesses.  This has not been requested by the other mayors at this time.  They all are concerned about their healthcare system being stressed to over capacity though.

It really is the Delta variant that is causing the spread and you can argue who is responsible for that but the main culprit is Delta no matter how it gets here.  Numbers did start rising too when the pre-testing program was altered to allow those who had been vaccinated to travel here.  As you may know.....several families were arrested at the airport from the mainland with fake vaccination cards.

Also, the Ironman World championship last week was just rescheduled from October until February 2022 and that is a major economic hit for Kona and Hawaii Island.

I am sure things are going to be changing here and even if you are allowed to cruise here at that time there just may not be much to do.  Only time will tell.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I don't think the ship can handle 2,000+ tests.  And Hawaii has required the PCR test.

Have any ships done this, even in any county ?? Maybe, it could be less, if only the ones that want to get off the ship have to be tested??  Princess would probably get lots of cancellations & therefore cancel the cruise or change the itinerary. That would also bring on the cancellations.  

Watching this closely trying to decide if I want to do Hawaii this year. I won't put any deposit down before the 60 day final payment window. By then we will have much more information to go on. This situation I am sure will cause a lot of cruisers to cancel. I do like the way that Princess is handling the all vaccinated situation. Tim

• Haha 1

Based on today’s statements by Gov. Ige the state is recommending visitors & locals to restrict travel and as cr8tiv1 wrote Ige places the blame for the spread primarily on residents.

“Most” new cases are the result of residents traveling off-island and coming back home to spread COVID-19 in the community, Ige said.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/23/breaking-news/ige-tells-visitors-to-stay-away-from-hawaii/

I have not read anything in our local news about any discussions for reopening the state to cruise travel. It took many months of discussions & adjustments before flying to Hawaii resumed. With no public discussions yet about allowing cruise ships that indicates to me that cruises might not resume until next year.

Hopefully for those who are booked on cruises to Hawaii my perception is wrong but it’s based upon how Hawaii has responded to the pandemic to isolate itself.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

Princess would probably get lots of cancellations & therefore cancel the cruise or change the itinerary. That would also bring on the cancellations.  

That would make it a two week cruise to Ensenada and back.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Based on today’s statements by Gov. Ige the state is recommending visitors & locals to restrict travel and as cr8tiv1 wrote Ige places the blame for the spread primarily on residents.

“Most” new cases are the result of residents traveling off-island and coming back home to spread COVID-19 in the community, Ige said.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/23/breaking-news/ige-tells-visitors-to-stay-away-from-hawaii/

I have not read anything in our local news about any discussions for reopening the state to cruise travel. It took many months of discussions & adjustments before flying to Hawaii resumed. With no public discussions yet about allowing cruise ships that indicates to me that cruises might not resume until next year.

Hopefully for those who are booked on cruises to Hawaii my perception is wrong but it’s based upon how Hawaii has responded to the pandemic to isolate itself.

Sure hope not.  Supposed to go in December.  But, if they do, I hope they decide soon.  We've got another vacation planned for November and I could make that longer....I think I hate the waiting game more than anything.  

As has been stated above, Hawaii is beggining to sweat again. Traveling nurses are being brought in, hospitals are filling up. ALL large gatherings have been cancelled for the next 4 weeks. There has been no discussion of allowing cruise ships to dock again. The state has said only 2% of new infections have been from travel. 90% of those infected, aren't vaccinated. Leeward coast is on fire. Queens West has declared an internal emergency. New Honolulu mayor has been against any type of closing down, but has been forced to due to the uptick. 

25 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

As has been stated above, Hawaii is beggining to sweat again. Traveling nurses are being brought in, hospitals are filling up. ALL large gatherings have been cancelled for the next 4 weeks. There has been no discussion of allowing cruise ships to dock again. The state has said only 2% of new infections have been from travel. 90% of those infected, aren't vaccinated. Leeward coast is on fire. Queens West has declared an internal emergency. New Honolulu mayor has been against any type of closing down, but has been forced to due to the uptick. 

I’ve read that your employer HA will mandate all US-based staff to be fully vaccinated by 11/1/21 except for those with medical & religious exemptions. Personally that’s reassuring to me for our travel between Maui & the Mainland.

9 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Additionally, Green your Lt Governor has made no secret in the past (pre-covid) about his dislike of cruise ships in Hawaii, and in as much as he is #2 in charge of state  Covid policy, that in it's self may not bode well for cruising in Hawaii any time soon

14 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Actually RCI has been doing it all summer. We were on the July Adventure of the Seas cruise out of Nassau Bahamas. All passengers (granted we were at 1100 pax) were able to be tested (PCR) before heading back to the Bahamas/US. The cruise ship hired a company to do the testing. It was very easy and smooth. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, srpilo said:

Additionally, Green your Lt Governor has made no secret in the past (pre-covid) about his dislike of cruise ships in Hawaii, and in as much as he is #2 in charge of state  Covid policy, that in it's self may not bode well for cruising in Hawaii any time soon

He’s an ER physician on the Big Island & I respect his informed pandemic opinions. In my opinion he has been better at promoting responsible actions than has Gov. Ige who is more hesitant to make decisions. As Yehootu wrote Hawaii medical care is limited and even more so on the neighbor islands where some non-COVID care requires transportation to O’ahu.

Like Australia & NZ, I do not foresee Hawaii cruises being allowed until next year at the earliest. Hopefully for those booked later this year things will greatly improve but don’t think Hawaii is planning to reopen this year in an effort to better protect their population.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Like Australia & NZ, I do not foresee Hawaii cruises being allowed until next year at the earliest. Hopefully for those booked later this year things will greatly improve but don’t think Hawaii is planning to reopen this year in an effort to better protect their population.

I think your assessment is probably spot on... Sadly I'll be one of the cancellations, and ironically my booking on the Grand to Hawaii stemmed from my 28 day Emerald from Sydney cancellation for April 2022 -  The hit's just keep on coming !! 🤪

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Actually RCI has been doing it all summer. We were on the July Adventure of the Seas cruise out of Nassau Bahamas. All passengers (granted we were at 1100 pax) were able to be tested (PCR) before heading back to the Bahamas/US. The cruise ship hired a company to do the testing. It was very easy and smooth. 

Thank you for the information, I was obviously not aware.  Hopefully, Princess can do the same if it's required.

22 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Thank you for the information, I was obviously not aware.  Hopefully, Princess can do the same if it's required.

I agree. From what I gather a lot of cruise companies are using the same service for mass testing. We were tested on a sea day. IMO Princess could easily accomplish testing during one or two sea days as well.

• Like 1

Well... if cruising doesn't resume this year, we will save a bundle! lol

I hope we can cruise in December, but if they aren't opening up, then we will find an alternate plan. 

Covid is in our lives for good now, at least for the next few years. We can't change anything, just roll with the punches. 

• Like 3

Thank you for input.  We are “supposed” to cruise on November 5th.  Cruise paid in full.  If we cancel by September 10th we will lose our deposit (I believe that’s all we lose) which is only $200.  We don’t like all the stuff we have to do now.  Mostly wearing masks almost 24/7, finding testing (if we go) in Calf before we board (arriving a few days early) possible testing on board.  Now possible limits in Hawaii.  We will wait a couple more weeks, to see if Princess cancels.  We booked thru a large “box” store— so we might cancel—-get a refund on this cruise.  Than put a deposit down for next November.   They still have decent prices, plus bonus’s.   Then we can see what it is like next summer— I just wish we knew some of this before we made our final payment.  Lots of $$ tied up 

28 minutes ago, Momperson3 said:

Thank you for input.  We are “supposed” to cruise on November 5th.  Cruise paid in full.  If we cancel by September 10th we will lose our deposit (I believe that’s all we lose) which is only $200.  We don’t like all the stuff we have to do now.  Mostly wearing masks almost 24/7, finding testing (if we go) in Calf before we board (arriving a few days early) possible testing on board.  Now possible limits in Hawaii.  We will wait a couple more weeks, to see if Princess cancels.  We booked thru a large “box” store— so we might cancel—-get a refund on this cruise.  Than put a deposit down for next November.   They still have decent prices, plus bonus’s.   Then we can see what it is like next summer— I just wish we knew some of this before we made our final payment.  Lots of $$ tied up 

Let's try to look on the brighter side.  You don't have to wear your mask in the cabin (not 24/7).  Numbers are decreasing, but it was the weekend report.  Kilauea is showing signs of life (lots of earthquakes indicating maybe magma movement).  Hurricane season will be coming to an end (although I was there for one on November 30).  You will be entertained all the way over and all the way back.  If Princess cancels, you may be the beneficiary.  It's a wait and see game at this time.  

I do realize it is more difficult for those who travel to the West Coast.  Wishing you aloha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 5:57 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

As of today, Hawaii is not going to change their pre-arrival testing policy.   But as you inquired, no one can tell the future of cruising to Hawaii.

My best guess is that you will have to test prior to boarding any Princess ship until December 31.  With a 5 day transit, that should "quarantine" everyone on the ship.  

To ease your mind, it is not the "tourist" bringing in the virus.  It's the unvaccinated and large clusters that are community related.  Several (mostly unvaccinated) residents have taken trips to the mainland (Las Vegas) and returned without testing first.  There is no way to really do a 10 day quarantine in multi-family dwellings.  

Passengers will find that many restaurants/events/etc will be very limited.  Our numbers are really too high for anyone's comfort.  Unless these numbers see a drastic downturn, there will be many changes to life in Hawaii.  

Right now the testing requirements are until October 31, 2021 unless they have moved the date. I’m cruising on October 31 & that’s the information Princess sent me. 

Tom😀

50 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Right now the testing requirements are until October 31, 2021 unless they have moved the date. I’m cruising on October 31 & that’s the information Princess sent me. 

Tom😀

I thought they updated their sight on August 20, 2021 stating that protocols (vaccination and testing) were extended through December 31.  

Currently, Hawaii is not requiring Covid 19 pre-travel tests for passengers arriving by plane.