The Daily for Saturday August 28, 2021

richwmn

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I have one 95 year old friend that always wears bow ties. The Pony Express was important in its day. Hugs to all those who have had pets cross the rainbow bridge. Red Wine Day! That's for me!

Interesting quote.

I like the lower sugar meal and drink. I'd prefer red wine over white, but wouldn't turn this down.

I haven't been through the Suez canal. Anticipating pictures.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather from my vaccine. Sore arm but just tired, a bit of a headache, achy and cold. The AC came on as it's hot here, and I'm wrapped in a throw. I will just relax today. It's of course completely worth getting it.

@grapau27 You're looking very dapper there.

@Sharon in AZ Bon Voyage!

@JAM37 Praying your DH's cough will settle down so he can get some decent sleep.

@AncientWanderer Fingers crossed that DSIL is negative. I think I read 5 days is optimal for testing.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear Tana is a bit better. Hoping the Pulmonary Rehab helps. I shake my head at healthcare workers not wanting to get vaccinated. When you work in a hospital or in healthcare, there are lots of requirements - yearly TB test, flu shot, continuing education, etc.

@mamaofami I hope going higher up the chain gets things settled for you. So sorry about the refrigerator issues!

@Cruizer Bill Bon Voyage! Have a great cruise.

@TiogaCruiser I hope the weather cooperates with your trip. Stay safe!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list. Also for those in the path of IDA.

Stay safe, wear your mask and social distance if needed.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Having just lost a very important dog in my life, your stories brought fresh tears. And bow ties remind me of when my son and granddaughter went on a cruise with me. He wore my Father’s tux and made several bow ties to go with it. He looked so dashing. 

315E7DD5-1065-4F69-B53A-E7BA1E0F0A9E.jpeg

You look like a lovely family.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I have one 95 year old friend that always wears bow ties. The Pony Express was important in its day. Hugs to all those who have had pets cross the rainbow bridge. Red Wine Day! That's for me!

Interesting quote.

I like the lower sugar meal and drink. I'd prefer red wine over white, but wouldn't turn this down.

I haven't been through the Suez canal. Anticipating pictures.

I'm feeling a bit under the weather from my vaccine. Sore arm but just tired, a bit of a headache, achy and cold. The AC came on as it's hot here, and I'm wrapped in a throw. I will just relax today. It's of course completely worth getting it.

@grapau27 You're looking very dapper there.

@Sharon in AZ Bon Voyage!

@JAM37 Praying your DH's cough will settle down so he can get some decent sleep.

@AncientWanderer Fingers crossed that DSIL is negative. I think I read 5 days is optimal for testing.

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear Tana is a bit better. Hoping the Pulmonary Rehab helps. I shake my head at healthcare workers not wanting to get vaccinated. When you work in a hospital or in healthcare, there are lots of requirements - yearly TB test, flu shot, continuing education, etc.

@mamaofami I hope going higher up the chain gets things settled for you. So sorry about the refrigerator issues!

@Cruizer Bill Bon Voyage! Have a great cruise.

@TiogaCruiser I hope the weather cooperates with your trip. Stay safe!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list. Also for those in the path of IDA.

Stay safe, wear your mask and social distance if needed.

Thank you JazzyV.

It was formal night on the ship.

Graham.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cruizer Bill said:

Thanks for the update Rich.

Today is sail away day for us to Alaska.  One of our friends did not get her test results (negative) back until last night.  We were getting pretty nervous!  Glad it worked out and we hit the seas under sunny skies today!

Have a great cruise!

• Like 12

Good Afternoon All, project one has been completed!  I did start project two, repair kitchen ceiling where the upstairs bathroom leaked through.  I did have to go to the store to get new ceiling paint.  While there DH gave me another project.  We picked up four plants that will need to get put into the ground today or tomorrow.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Having just lost a very important dog in my life, your stories brought fresh tears. And bow ties remind me of when my son and granddaughter went on a cruise with me. He wore my Father’s tux and made several bow ties to go with it. He looked so dashing. 

315E7DD5-1065-4F69-B53A-E7BA1E0F0A9E.jpeg

That's a beautiful photo!  Lovely family!  It looks like you are wearing a strand of those wonderful aurora borealis crystal stones.  I have one that I like a lot.  Maybe I'll bring mine in October.  😍

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

This minute, I'm nervous.  We did some visiting last night, and DSIL returned from Philadelphia late Sunday night and now has a very persistent dry cough.  He did a rapid test on Wednesday morning that was negative, but I wonder if he waited long enough.

We're all vaccinated, so I'm not afraid of serious illness, but I am definitely fearful of a positive test before embarking for Alaska.  Fingers crossed.

I’m getting nervous, too. We’re supposed to have dinner at a restaurant tonight with our bible study group but I think I’ll send DH by himself. And I’ll “attend” church online. I get tested on Wed before boarding my flight. 🤞

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I’m getting nervous, too. We’re supposed to have dinner at a restaurant tonight with our bible study group but I think I’ll send DH by himself. And I’ll “attend” church online. I get tested on Wed before boarding my flight. 🤞

Better safe than sorry.  There's already too much to worry about, right?

• Like 14

A very late good morning from central Texas.  I slept in this morning, then we decided to go out for breakfast (drive-thru) and run an errand.  Unforunately, I was the only one in the store with a mask.  It's a store I usually try to avoid for that reason, but they had what I needed on sale.

And interesting collectionof days. The Pony Express was a great idea for getting mail to places the trains did not reach.  DH only wore a bow tie with his tux, which has remaind at home since 2015, as we're both getting less formal.  We've had several four legged family members cross the Rainbow Bridge, and they are all still loved and missed.

Another interesting Oscar Wilde quote.

Keeping all the military personnel, evacuees and those left in Afghanistan in our thoughs.  Hope everyone in Ida's path stays safe.

@richwmn  Rich, you are correct that this group really does not need a day to celebrate red wine, or white wine for that matter.  

I like the drink of the day. altough it has been several years since I've had one.  I'll pass on the wine of the day, and will check out the recipe.  I've had bourbon chicken before, but never made it.

We went through the Suez Canal in 2003 on our mystery cruise on the old Regal Princess.  I posted pictures of the Suez end of the canal on April 19, when the destination of the day was entering the Suez Canal at Suez.  Any pictures today would be repeats.

When our last dog, Nikki, died a friend sent me this, which I've sent to our DDs when their dogs crossed the rainbow bridge.  It still brings tears to my eyes, just like @Horizon chaser 1957 lovely story and @atexsix meme did.

A PROMISE FROM GINNIE

I will be with you every day, not with my body, which is

of no importance, but with my soul that lasts forever.

When a pet we love passes away our grief is often unbearable

Like an overflowing river, we are sometimes overcome with

feelings of loss and loneliness.

The light of love that exists between us and our pet we have lost

Shines forever brightly in the memories we treasure deep within

our hearts.

With time, there is healing and then love remains.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, my Daily friends!  And many thanks to everyone for all the interesting information.  My prayers will be added for al those needing them, for negative tests and improving health.  

We have a busy day today.  Pat has gone off to the recycling depot, and I have a huge bowl of prune plums to cut in half, de-pit and freeze, DS brought them over yesterday from his tree, along with more blackberries and lots of red and green grapes (which I will juice and then freeze).  This afternoon we have an 80th birthday party to go to, along with a celebration of life for a friend who passed away earlier this month.  I'm not nervous of the birthday party, it will be small and just close neighbours, but I'm not so sure of the other, depending on how many are there and what is going on, we may not stay long.  I'm hoping it's just a reception and condolences, and then we can slip away. (And maybe back to the birthday party.)

The chicken dish looks delish, but so many ingredients!  Haven't been through the Suez Canal, it's on the wish list.   Lots of fur- and feather-babies to remember today.  As a child in Manila, I had ducks, chickens, a mynah, some Java sparrows and a cat and dog.  Those were the days!

• Like 24

Thanks for the Daily, the lists, and everyone's updates. I love the selection of Days! 

By my count, there will be six cats & three dogs waiting for me on the other side of the bridge - at least for now. I will salute them all with red wine tonight!

Here's a handy reminder for the Garden Club:

catpot.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning from north Georgia where it is cool and overcast.. Thank you for the Daily, lists and recipes.

I think a bowtie adds something unique.

I have several furbabies who have passed over the bridge.

I very rarely drink alcohol, but do like some red wines. (I really only drink coffee and water.)

I do enjoy bourbon chicken.

Never been to Suez, looking forward to pictures.

DH had a rough night of coughing. Hoping that subsides soon so he can get more rest.

I haven't left the house in 17 days so I am off to the Farmer's Market and grocery shopping.

Prayers for all and cheers for the celebrations.

Blessings

I hope your husband's coughing subsided and he got some sleep.

Keep the room well ventilated and keep your self safe.

Prayers 🙏 for a quick recovery.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but if your DH gets exposed, you could be too - from him.  

Hopefully that doesn’t happen 🤞 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

I've been enjoying all the pictures and stories of everyone's fur babies.  Our four legged family members bring such joy and comfort into our lives, it is hard to say goodbye.

@JAM37  Hope your DH's cough has subsided and he is getting some rest.  @grapau27 Graham offered some good advice.  Take care of your self, too.

@dobiemom  Jacqui @kazu does have something to consider, and I had the same thought.

@AncientWanderer  Hope your test comes back negative on Wednesday, and hope DSIL cough clears up.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news that Tana is better than when she was discharged.  Getting rehab sounds like a good move and hope it helps her a lot.  I can't believe healthcare workers would not do everyting in their power to protect themselves and their patients.  They are supposed to cure not infect patients.

@Sharon in AZ and @Cruizer Bill  Bon voyage and have a fun cruise.  @Cruizer Bill glad your friend got her negative results in time to make the cruise.

@mamaofami  Carol, that was a good idea to contact the state agency.  Sorry about your freezer.

@TiogaCruiser  Have a safe trip, and I hope the weather and the air cooperate.

@lindaler  Linda, that was a great picture of the three of you.  Glad you booked the October cruise.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, sorry you are not feeling up to par, but as you said it is a small price to pay for being vaccinated.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I am happy to share some good news on my BFF’s husband.  After 5 long weeks,  he is coming home from the hospital.  His head injury is still needing care and ExtraMural will be coming in daily to do the treatment.  He is getting some special machine.  They will also be taking his blood but somehow my BFF has to get it the lab 😔 

My friend will have her hands full caring for him but thankfully her family is close and she has 2 wonderful grandchildren that have also offered to assist.  She knows I’m available if she needs me.

He does not have much strength from being in bed with the broken ribs although they did start having him walk.  Hopefully he is much improved in a few more weeks.

Thank you all for your prayers for him ❤️ 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am happy to share some good news on my BFF’s husband.  After 5 long weeks,  he is coming home from the hospital.  His head injury is still needing care and ExtraMural will be coming in daily to do the treatment.  He is getting some special machine.  They will also be taking his blood but somehow my BFF has to get it the lab 😔 

My friend will have her hands full caring for him but thankfully her family is close and she has 2 wonderful grandchildren that have also offered to assist.  She knows I’m available if she needs me.

He does not have much strength from being in bed with the broken ribs although they did start having him walk.  Hopefully he is much improved in a few more weeks.

Good news Jacqui. If I lived nearby I would help too, as it sounds like this couple is very close to your heart. God bless them and you.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good news Jacqui. If I lived nearby I would help too, as it sounds like this couple is very close to your heart. God bless them and you.

You are so kind ♥️ Yes, we have been friends for years.  And she has done the same for me.

When I had to have my elbow surgery it was SHE who drove me to the hospital and to several follow ups with the neurosurgeon on days when DH was working.  It’s a long wait sometimes to see the surgeon (despite an appointment time) and she never let out a grumble.  She is truly my best friend and I would do anything for her ♥️ Just as she would for me ♥️ 

• Like 21

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow, that's great news!  I'm sure he will be so glad to get out of that hospital.  Prayers for him and his wife, also the grandchildren who want to help out as he recovers completely at home.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, that is wonderful news.  I know all his family along with you are relieved that he is well enough to come home.  How nice that his family, especially grandkids, and you are there to help ease the load of his care.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but if your DH gets exposed, you could be too - from him.  

Hopefully that doesn’t happen 🤞 

I forgot about that. 😨 This COVID stuff is getting tiring! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

@Cruizer Bill Bon Voyage - have a wonderful cruise!

@kazuwhat great news about your BFF's DH!  I'll bet she's so relieved to finally have him at home, even if it means getting the grands and others to help with his rehab.  It is so draining to have to make the trek each day to the hospital, staying for hours, then returning home where the daily chores are still waiting to be done.  Been there, done that.

@lindaler a lovely photo of your family - and like @AncientWanderer, I admired your necklace.  I have a double strand of Aurora Borealis crystals that my mother used to wear that I've taken on cruises with me for the past couple of years and love putting them on - I so enjoy seeing others wear them as well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Update re Kakalena-  she had some type of medical issue and had to be hospitalized a couple of days for tests. She is home now and doing better.

Thanks kindly for the update.  Glad to hear that the issue has been overcome and she is doing better now 👍 

• Like 9