upgraded from refundable balcony to non refundable j.s.- paid in full- what happens if we test positive at pier for covid?

I realize we would not be allowed to board.  we booked this cruise well over a year ago.  should i try to find insurance that would cover this to be on the safe side?  if its non refundable rate,  would we be out all that $$$ or ????

25 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, if denied boarding a full refund should be one of the options, regardless of payment type.

I see in their policy that will transport you home if you test positive onboard but have seen no mention of what happens if you test positive at the pier at embarkation.  Will they pay for your transport back home?

1)  What testing at the pier?  

2)  Since they have denied boarding for people without test results back, without any refund, what makes you think that testing positive, they will refund?

I would be buying insurance.

1 minute ago, SRF said:

1)  What testing at the pier?  

2)  Since they have denied boarding for people without test results back, without any refund, what makes you think that testing positive, they will refund?

I would be buying insurance.

I tested positive two days before the cruise and Royal committed to a full refund in 30 to 45 days.  I did have travel insurance through a third party and that money has already been refunded by the insurer.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

While I realize it is very difficult to prove a negative, where do we have a confirmed case of compensation denial when not allowed to board?

If you test positive at the pier rather than on the ship, return transportation is your responsibility. It depends on whether you flew in or drove your own car to the port. It appears from other instances reported that people are allowed to drive themselves home and quarantine there; however, you would not be allowed to fly immediately.

If you have travel insurance, the trip delay/trip interruption features would help defray expenses for hotel and rebooking flights. The policy may require a doctor’s diagnosis in addition to the positive test results in order to qualify for reimbursement as a covered medical reason.

Edited by Babr

we  have a suite on oasis on september 12 and have a royal up bid in for an aqua suite. My TA called royal to ask if we have a positive test on our precruise text but after my royal up bid is accepted(which at this time is still pending) they would refund for both the original room and the royal up bid

Deposit type is irrelevant after final payment.  Once you reach final payment due date and pay for the cruise in full everyone is subject to the same cancellation terms and conditions and same protocol/virus/testing related options.

44 minutes ago, coachmike1959 said:

we  have a suite on oasis on september 12 and have a royal up bid in for an aqua suite. My TA called royal to ask if we have a positive test on our precruise text but after my royal up bid is accepted(which at this time is still pending) they would refund for both the original room and the royal up bid

This was my same circumstance and Royal said everything, including Royal Up fee, would be refunded. 

24 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Just a note that refundable means you can get back any deposit/money paid *before* final payment is due if you cancel. If you've gotten to the pier it's long past that.

Not sure what you are saying here.  We were long past final payment, and just two days before cruising when we had to cancel, so pretty much everything (other than taxes and fees) was technically Nonrefundable at that point.  However, due to a positive COVID test, Royal agreed to refund everything.  

23 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Not sure what you are saying here.  We were long past final payment, and just two days before cruising when we had to cancel, so pretty much everything (other than taxes and fees) was technically Nonrefundable at that point.  However, due to a positive COVID test, Royal agreed to refund everything.  

Your subject title mentioned you went from refundable to nonrefundable fare. I was just pointing out that didn't matter after final payment.

Just now, twins_to_alaska said:

Your subject title mentioned you went from refundable to nonrefundable fare. I was just pointing out that didn't matter after final payment.

I am not the OP.  Just wanted to clarify it did not matter whether the deposit was refundable or not.  When I tested positive, my reservation was cancelled and Royal committed to refunding all payments. 

This is a great to know and hope it continues.  I understand you’re out if you don’t get the testing.  It should be on you to ensure that’s done.  But if you comply and can’t go it does seem fair that Royal refunds your money.  It makes it much easier to make final payment for us too. While it wouldn’t break us it would leave us uneasy to try again.  

2 hours ago, piercetc4 said:

We were told we would do a wellness check in of sorts at the pier before you board.......I think they test near the end of the cruise too?  and all of this could change by nov 27.

kids get tested at the pier.

Whether adults get tested at the pier would probably depend on where you are sailing from. Someone has just reported testing positive at Barcelona terminal: 

2 hours ago, piercetc4 said:

We were told we would do a wellness check in of sorts at the pier before you board.......I think they test near the end of the cruise too?  and all of this could change by nov 27.

As of right now, you need to get a test done 2 days before your cruise and show results when you arrive at cruise terminal.     Currently, they are not testing vaccinated passengers 12 or older at check-in for US sailings.     They are only testing unvaxxed children ages 2 thru 11 at cruise terminal before check in. 

Great option is to do the Proper at home covid test which is available thru emed or optum websites.

Yes, they will ask and/or have you complete a health/wellness questionnaire at check-in. 

Testing is done at the end of the cruise for passengers that need a test to fly home out of the US, for unvaxxed children or for b2b/s2s cruisers.

If you drove or flew to the cruise terminal from a state within the US and are cruising out of a US port they will Not test you at the middle or end of your cruise since you are fully vaxxed.     Now if they have a positive case onboard and it is determined that you had a close contact thru contact tracing with that person then you would be tested and if negative you may leave your cabin, if positive they will put you in quarantine and/or remove you from the ship at whatever port (possibly fly you home but I think that is only offered up thru 10/31 as of right now).   

Yes, expect there will be changes by end of November.