Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

11 minutes ago, bren61 said:

. There is such a small window to get the testing done, especially for those who need to travel to get to the port or pre-cruise hotels. 

Exactly and its about to go to 2 days instead of 3 If RC follows the new CDC guidelines. 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

On another thread, someone said the tests are good for one year from the date they are manufactured.  

I read earlier that all of the tests were manufactured in January 2021.  Hopefully there are more being manufactured at this time.

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Exactly and its about to go to 2 days instead of 3 If RC follows the new CDC guidelines. 

Can you post that?   I still don't see why hospitals and clinics allow a longer window than cruise ships for testing.  I recently had a colonoscopy and my test was on Monday for a Friday procedure.

11 hours ago, bajathree said:

Sort answer....no

With the availability of the Binax Now AG card test that you can order and do at home there should be  no worries to have to worry about scrambling to make appointments and risk not having your test results back in time.

Those test are already becoming limited and have sold out a few times already 

29 minutes ago, mek said:

Can you post that?   I still don't see why hospitals and clinics allow a longer window than cruise ships for testing.  I recently had a colonoscopy and my test was on Monday for a Friday procedure.

When I had Cataract surgery in May, the window was 6 days.  For someone with more knowledge explain why the CDC requires 3 and recommending 2 days vs requirements for other venues/activities. 

Testing at the terminal was a disaster with MSC earlier this month. You went through security and waited in a line for about 45 minutes with about 100 +/- just to be given your stickers to be tested. You then went to another line and waited about 5 - 10 minutes to go behind a partition to be tested. Then you went up the escalators to the holding pen that was the number on your shirt where you sat with others for about 45 minutes. Once the 20-30 people in your group tested negative you were brought to another escalator and went back down to another line about 15 minutes long where you were cleared to board and then went up another escalator and finally boarded. 

Royal Caribbean is a for profit company and they should not have to pay for you testing. Next you will want them to pay for your passports, parking, transfers, etc.. 

The tests cost money and why should Royal Caribbean pay for it? They will just raise the pricing to cover the costs. If I can get tested and follow the rules why should I be charged to subsidize your tests because they will pass the costs on to everyone.

As a shareholder why should they be responsible for a simple task any adult should be able to do?

FWIW I am about set to drop my daughter at school (9:10-9:15) and then go for a boarding antigen test at the city site. I should have my results in text and email by 10:00 -10:15 AM.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, outtoseacruise said:

Royal Caribbean is a for profit company and they should not have to pay for you testing. Next you will want them to pay for your passports, parking, transfers, etc.. 

The tests cost money and why should Royal Caribbean pay for it?

What an absurd comparison. 🙄  and I dont believe anyone in this thread is asking for them to do it free.

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

I think the logistics of doing the testing for 1000+ people makes it very unlikely. We were on the Edge 7/31 cruise where Celebrity tried to do it —- failed miserably and after a couple hours they abandoned the testing for vaccinated folks. 

On Allure 8/15, they tested non- vax and kids. We waited about 35 minutes for our grandkids results. During that time we commented to each other how impossible it would be if capacity was any higher. 

I don’t think they could do it and depart the same day. Maybe spend the first night in port and leave on day 2 ? Boy would people love that idea! 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

I think the test at pier should be an option for those unfortunate to get the tests/results in time.  I'm not sure, how many Paxs would take a chance of traveling to the pier and not know if +/-.  I would be concerned after flying, that I would test + and waste the investment  of airfare/parking,  plus the airport hassle.

I agree and proof of having the test but not getting the results back in time would be the qualifying factor.  I also think that testing should be available at port for all cruise lines  the same way it's available at airports. Many fly in a day or two early and could be tested 24hrs before the cruise. If the facility was open after that day's sail away there would be less traffic.

• Like 3

We are on an NCL Bermuda cruise the end of September and we have to take 3 covid tests.  First a PCR test 4 days before cruise, then NCL is giving us an antigen test at the pier day of cruise then Bermuda is giving us another PCR test before we can disembark in Bermuda.  I don't know how many passengers will be on that cruise but it sounds like a nightmare getting tested at the pier and on the ship.  BTW we have to pay Bermuda $75pp for this.

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Logistically it would be a nightmare asking for trouble.  Assuming majority of people would then wait to test at cruise terminal.

Isn't MSC checking all the passengers at the terminal?

I believe I've read that on the MSC board, but I haven't looked into it too closely since our MSC cruise isn't until April 2022.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 hours ago, bren61 said:

but I do feel that RCCL should provide a test for those that attempted to make appointments, but were unable to get in because the time slots filled quickly, or if they were tested, but don't have their results back yet. 

I think most of us agree with you on this type of situation, but unfortunately people would abuse that type of policy, so the possibility of it happening is not very good. Especially since the cruise lines wouldn't have any more 'luck' in getting the tests than the pharmacies that can't get them stocked.  Hopefully this wave will pass too, and things will calm back down.  Sigh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

My wife works in G.I. at NYU and 5 days is what they require for a colonoscopy.  If the CDC requires 2 days before the cruise there are going to be a lot of cancellations from not getting results back in time.  The cruise lines with have to come up with a plan for those who were tested and couldn't get results back in time.  I wouldn't be booking any itinerary that requires me to fly to port. Living in the northeast that limits me a lot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Isn't MSC checking all the passengers at the terminal?

I believe I've read that on the MSC board, but I haven't looked into it too closely since our MSC cruise isn't until April 2022.

MSC was testing at terminal in italy last fall/winter when their ship was sailing with a couple hundred passengers.  I think they had 1 maybe 2 ships sailing then.

As of July 2021 they require passengers to test 48 hours prior to cruise.

1 hour ago, renza said:

Those test are already becoming limited and have sold out a few times already 

I had no problem ordering from eMed last week. I did hear of some issue from another source but haven't heard yet of anyone saying eMed was sold out or had limited supply.

13 hours ago, bajathree said:

Sort answer....no

With the availability of the Binax Now AG card test that you can order and do at home there should be  no worries to have to worry about scrambling to make appointments and risk not having your test results back in time.

The issue with this test is that to be accepted, the test must be proctored by a licensed physician or nurse. 

34 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

We are on an NCL Bermuda cruise the end of September and we have to take 3 covid tests.  First a PCR test 4 days before cruise, then NCL is giving us an antigen test at the pier day of cruise then Bermuda is giving us another PCR test before we can disembark in Bermuda.  I don't know how many passengers will be on that cruise but it sounds like a nightmare getting tested at the pier and on the ship.  BTW we have to pay Bermuda $75pp for this.

Yes, Bermuda has strict rules and is one big reason why royal cancelled the Visions sailing out of Bermuda this summer.

Bermuda was limiting ship capacity too.  I think Viking ship that has been sailing out of Bermuda since June is limited to 425 or 450 passengers.

5 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I had no problem ordering from eMed last week. I did hear of some issue from another source but haven't heard yet of anyone saying eMed was sold out or had limited supply.

eMed limits to one 6 pack per order so that probably helps some.  Optum was out for a couple days of both the 2 and 3 packs but are back in stock now.   The thing is, there are only two vendors and now with it being broadcasted across the major news networks, I fully expect there to be a shortage in the coming months.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

The issue with this test is that to be accepted, the test must be proctored by a licensed physician or nurse. 

That is already included with the cost of purchase. The test is preformed virtual via your phone or laptop with an eMed person watching and instructing you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rebeccac said:

On another thread, someone said the tests are good for one year from the date they are manufactured.  

I think the 1 year thing is related to the CDC emergency approval. They have recently changed what tested they have authorized to ones that test for both COVID and the flu. The previous test was only COVID. So labs had to spend the additional time to also process a flu test.