The Daily for Wednesday September 01, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Nice collection of days. I would love a cherry popover. Actually, cherries are one of my favorite fruits. Once, when I was a lot younger, I signed up to be a day picker at a cherry orchard. They paid by the pound of cherries picked. (5 cents per pound) Well, I worked a half day and got paid $1.75. I ended up eating a good portion of the cherries I picked. LOL

I'm always in the mood for lasagna and the drink sounds interesting.

Hard to believe that it is September.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22

Brrr.  It feels cold outside compared to what it has been.  Nice for walking, though.  

@Overhead Fred Safe travels

@JAM37 Happy to hear that your DH is starting to feel better.

@mamaofami  It is good to know the new aide is working out.  That makes all the difference.

@Crazy For Cats Hope you don't get too water logged.  Enjoy the lasagna.  

@cat shepard  I think yours is the first appliance that could be fixed.   Motherboards can get expensive, can't they?

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and all who are so faithful to this community if Dailyites. It was cold here last night. We still have warm days ahead of us but the nights are telling me that fall is not far away. Today I await the arrival of my son’s towed motor home. Gates are all open and site is ready. 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Up early with my cup of coffee.

@smitty34877Terry, I'm so sorry that you and Tana had such a challenging day.  You paint a vivid picture, and hopefully you'll be able to settle into a routine and take baby steps forward.   Take it easy today. 

Maxine

Thank you  Maxine. We were  both a  little  overwhelmed  yesterday but as  you  said,we  need to  take  baby steps.

Terry

• Like 10

3 hours ago, msmayor said:

We found out (and can now share the news) that we are going to be grandparents for the first time!  Our daughter and her husband are expecting, with arrival of the their first child right around the date of the cruise in March.  There's nothing that will keep us away from that event, so we'll delay our return to cruising a bit longer so we can celebrate this milestone.  

Congratulations!  🥂 🎈  Enjoy the time anticapating the arrival of the first grandchild. 

Lenda

• Like 8

Good morning, all! I love cherry popovers. It’s been a while since I hand wrote a letter, my writing is atrocious. I never knew that American chess was different than how it’s played elsewhere. That certainly warrants it a day.

Lasagne sounds good. Tonight is DDs last supper in Canada before we drive her to,the airport. It will be a sad drive home!

We have crossed the International Date Line many times, but only twice on a BHB. There are no pictures. Yesterday I bought a fish poacher on fb marketplace for,$10. It’s a long narrow vessel that’s perfect for steaming the long print rolls. I’m pleased out of all proportion. 
C71255F1-B05A-4D6A-834F-963E465C0C11.thumb.jpeg.a6a213c343e0775550eff5b3a97170df.jpeg

Happy Wednesday, courtesy of our BHBs elevators.

A37FDD87-2F83-49E9-BF8F-8C27DBDD7149.thumb.jpeg.aaec78cb8568260c376b0338a0728b99.jpeg

• Like 28

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday from the Nieuw Amsterdam!

Dinner last night in the MDR:

Sushi trio

B1921698-98BC-47B8-A65E-0DFFF234A7F5.thumb.jpeg.56b83477948d0e3d40ced0a5419220da.jpeg

Prime Rib C6702B11-E2F8-4992-9015-DC4B068420C7.thumb.jpeg.59b3c5d0c8dbb2651902151bfe0d9b87.jpeg

Ricotta Raspberry Tart 

B70A3F72-CA4D-474D-97F5-675A7CDE3B72.thumb.jpeg.e675ae7fa25e7bac27c1cff89ecd797b.jpeg

Hazelnut Mousse 

AB376BD1-5E9F-4C72-9F6F-D6A09506EFCC.thumb.jpeg.555b710db78cd85b6eb1047c4d242dcf.jpeg

Chocolate Puff Pastry 

07F21DD2-3239-44DF-A88C-643937A66908.thumb.jpeg.8f6fbdbf2ac4de680edc0d97d979e554.jpeg

The internet has been spotty so I couldn’t post pictures the past few days. Today we are in Sitka. It’s been a wonderful cruise!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

👍Thank you The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

🍒I love just plain 'ole cherries and can still find them in the grocery store but the price is going up.🍒

We watched the Queen's Gambit on Netflix and thought I'd learn how to play chess...that didn't happen, lol. 🙃

🙏Prayers to all in need!🙏 Happy September 1st.

Katie

20210901_074246.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning all!

I love cherry anything, and popovers are good, but I prefer the turnovers (the pastry is usually flakier). 

In the past pre-broken finger and arthritis, I wrote lots of letters by hand.  Now I'm lucky to write a few lines, so send emails or typed notes.  

Never have learned chess -- my 8-year-old grandson valiantly tried to teach me a few months ago, and we both gave up and played an easier game for this Nana. 😆

The meal, drink and wine all sound great, have never crossed the International Dateline.  It will be interesting to see if we get any photos, as was said it isn't very scenic!

Not much on the agenda for today, just some garden clean-up and groceries.  We leave in 20 days for a month, so we're getting to that point where we don't want a lot of extra perishables. 

@msmayorcongratulations on becoming a grandparent in a few months!  Your life will change forever, and for the better!  

• Like 24

Good morning from central Texas.  

I love fresh cherries, but not so much in pies, etc.  My DF tried to teach me chess, but we finally went back to checkers.  😁  I used to write weekly letters to DF and DFIL when the DDs were little.  Overtime as my handwriting got harder to read and with the advent of computers, I would send typed letters. I continued the letters until both fathers and both step-mothers died, as they preferred letters to email.

Today, according to @rafinmd Roy, we attained 54 years of marriage, as we will celebrate our 54th anniversary tomorrow.  BTW, in Texas don't get married on the opening day of dove season.  The wives and daughters of my parents friends attended the late aternoon wedding reception, but the husbands and sons were out hunting.  At least, DF skipped opening day that year.  🤣

I do like the quote by Ole Blue Eyes.

It's been a while since I made lasagna, either classic or vergertarian.  We'll skip the drink and the wine.

By my count, we have crossed the International Date Line by plane or ship at least 18 times, but only twice on a BHB.  Unlike Crossing the Line (Equator), we never had a ceremony, but received a certificate.

@smitty34877  Terry, while the pulmonary therapy sounds like it will tough, I hope it will help Tana regain strength and some independence.  As has been said before, she is very lucky to have your family helping her.  Take care of yourself, too.

@JAM37  Glad your DH feels stronger.

@mamaofami  Carol, hope Sam gets a good report from the cardiologist.  Glad the aide is working out.

@Horizon chaser 1957  That was a clever idea to repurpose the fish poacher.  I can''t wait to see the results after you use it.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily. Rabbit, Rabbit!

Wow, September already. I confess, I bought Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer already, lol.

All good days. I like cherry turnovers. I used to write letters home when I was in college; no computers back then. Funny Sinatra quote.

I like lasagna, but too many carbs right now. I like the drink and pass on the wine.

I haven't crossed the date line on a ship.

Lots of rain here. My rain gauge shows almost 5". We have lots of creeks around, in addition to our 3 rivers. Many streets are flooded, so some schools are closed. A few people were rescued from cars that got stuck during flash flooding, and some have water in their basements. I'm good where I live. Rain should stop this afternoon.

I got a good report from the eye doctor. What is surprising to me is I have 20/20 vision in my right eye, and it was a lazy eye and years ago was 20/200! I called my old eye doctor today, expecting a wait to get an appointment for refraction for glasses, but they can see me tomorrow.

@msmayor Congratulations on the news of a grandchild!

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana. and you.

@Overhead Fred WTG on the timely negative tests. Safe travels.

@JAM37 I'm sure DH's chills and fever last night was unsettling; hoping for continued improvement.

@mamaofami Good news.

@Sharon in AZ Glad you're enjoying the cruise.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

We've crossed the International Date Line twice flying -- once in each direction. Jumping forward a day westbound seemed weird. Repeating a day eastbound seemed even stranger. But, the craziest thing was figuring out medication schedules in either direction -- especially for the one prescription that was to be taken only every other day!

We're keeping all those in mind that need extra care and celebrating other's special joys!

• Like 20

Rain here today.... the remains of Nora. Glad I turned off our sprinkler system. And, I got a notice from the company that services it that they will be turning off the full system the 21st. That is early, but two years ago the missed the first freeze and my yard looked like a skating rink. They - whoever they are - seem to be expecting an early winter. Certainly the rodents are busy and a friend of mine lives in a mobile home park where they have so far trapped 27 !!!!! skunks who moved in under the trailers. That I can certainly do without.

Macaws have some health issues and need more blood tests. Our staff is becoming very attached to them. Hopefully we can still relocate them.... we do not need foster fails.

Susan

• Like 22

41 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  

I love fresh cherries, but not so much in pies, etc.  My DF tried to teach me chess, but we finally went back to checkers.  😁  I used to write weekly letters to DF and DFIL when the DDs were little.  Overtime as my handwriting got harder to read and with the advent of computers, I would send typed letters. I continued the letters until both fathers and both step-mothers died, as they preferred letters to email.

Today, according to @rafinmd Roy, we attained 54 years of marriage, as we will celebrate our 54th anniversary tomorrow.  BTW, in Texas don't get married on the opening day of dove season.  The wives and daughters of my parents friends attended the late aternoon wedding reception, but the husbands and sons were out hunting.  At least, DF skipped opening day that year.  🤣

I do like the quote by Ole Blue Eyes.

It's been a while since I made lasagna, either classic or vergertarian.  We'll skip the drink and the wine.

By my count, we have crossed the International Date Line by plane or ship at least 18 times, but only twice on a BHB.  Unlike Crossing the Line (Equator), we never had a ceremony, but received a certificate.

@smitty34877  Terry, while the pulmonary therapy sounds like it will tough, I hope it will help Tana regain strength and some independence.  As has been said before, she is very lucky to have your family helping her.  Take care of yourself, too.

@JAM37  Glad your DH feels stronger.

@mamaofami  Carol, hope Sam gets a good report from the cardiologist.  Glad the aide is working out.

@Horizon chaser 1957  That was a clever idea to repurpose the fish poacher.  I can''t wait to see the results after you use it.

Lenda

Lenda,thank you for your concern.I am actually  resting on the couch,rewatching "Downton Abbey" on Netfliks today.

• Like 16

Good afternoon everybody it has been a while that I posted some pictures or made comments but I have been reading the Daily every morning and have been following the only two BHB’s that are making cruisers like ourselves very, very  happy . Hope that more ships can follow soon which depends of coarse on more and more people get their vaccination and follow Covid-19 protocol all around the world . Besides Canada I have noticed a few countries in Europe like Portugal and Italy are doing just that , which makes cruising in the Mediterranean hopefully a possibility ! Even the US is finally starting to ramp up a bit ................. Sorry people had to get that of my chest ! 

Today I am remembering my very special Crossing of the International Dateline in 2013 while on the MS Oosterdam  we celebrated first my DW’s special BD , I am not allowed to tell you the special number , in the Pinnacle restaurant with cake #1 ! 

216579978_DSCN59392.thumb.JPG.d215fcdb51668c6144d7a29896899dd2.JPG

A few days later on April 21st in Apia, Samoa it was my turn to celebrate in the Canaletto with cake # 2 

1330438973_NZAU2013867.thumb.jpg.bf188eb4bba5834fb84f1a0b403f5a74.jpg

Than the next day  it was again April 21st we were in Pago, Pago , American Samoa and we had our third BD cake without having to show proof again in the Canaletto we got our cake # 3 . Usually to reach your next BD you have to make a long trip around the sun for 365 days but this was only took 24 hours , but in the end I was glad I did not have to add another year! 

1859611938_NZAU2013872.thumb.jpg.ec49115f8a85381bb72c03053002fa4f.jpg

I noticed something similar happened to @StLouisCruisers  so maybe ??  we might share our BD’s ????
 BTW I am still trying to work off those 3 BD cakes ……..

Have a great day everybody Please Take Care and Stay Safe 

Tony 😄😄
  • Like 27

@sailingdutchymy birthday is April 8, and I celebrated it twice on Maasdam in 2017.  

Here is the first April 8 as I made my way to breakfast.  We walk the stairs and don't take elevators but since they weren't busy at the moment we took a photo of the Saturday day of the week mat. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvDunAxJRacl-3KZJfGrrU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493591245

The next morning we did the same thing.  It's one of the few times a staff member doesn't have to switch out the day of the week mat.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKn7GGiiq03LbdoqfTWMdJC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493592098

• Like 27

9 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, this crossed my feed while taking a lunch break.  I’ve never had a ginger cat as part of the family.  There was a neighbor ginger that was sweet.

image.thumb.png.e46b10a7132b64046264f4bc00202c25.png

We have been lucky to have had two ginger cats, Sandy and Sargent, who have long since crossed the rainbow bridge.  Both were sweet cats and were older DD's cats at different times.  We just didn't know they were called ginger cats..

Lenda

• Like 16

5 hours ago, msmayor said:

We found out (and can now share the news) that we are going to be grandparents for the first time!  Our daughter and her husband are expecting, with arrival of the their first child right around the date of the cruise in March.  There's nothing that will keep us away from that event, so we'll delay our return to cruising a bit longer so we can celebrate this milestone.  

Yippee! Congrats! 🥰👶

• Like 9

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit!  
Good morning and thanks all!  Love cherries,. And my date line crossing has been by air, still strange!   We returned home from Japan before we left! 

@msmayor congratulations, such fun ahead,   I will never forget seeing the first ultrasound of our first grandchild in Helsinki while on a cruise.   I let out such cries of delight in their city hall where they had the wifi,  that I’m sure I raised a few eyebrows!  
@kazu love the Gallop poll😉😜😂

@smitty34877i wish more people were aware of these long term effects.  Hoping for more healing of Tana.  
@rafinmd your meal looks incredible!  I have been wanting to try Crystal, sigh! 

We had a crazy huge hail storm,  shredded many plants,but the peppers are safe beside the house.   although the ones I moved by the house two weeks earlier are flowering but.  But the others, maybe by Christmas?  

D7235EB3-F1AF-4728-AC33-D1AF8809F9E8.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We got our negative COVID test results (PCR) at about 9 pm last night. We had the swabs done at about 11:30 am yesterday - great turnaround time since it was a local lab! We planned to leave tomorrow because we were not sure how long the COVID results would take (I was originally going to try Walgreens or CVS). Once I found the local place with same day results ($119 each), we decided to leave today. Packing the car now and should be on the road by around 9:30 am. Dinner in Sault Ste Marie tonight! 

I might not be posting much for the next 2-3 weeks, we will see how our internet access goes...

Enjoy!  I wish the land border would open the other way,  haven’t seen my very elderly aunt for two years now.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 9