Canadian travel vaccine passport certificate to be unveiled “in the coming months, or a year”.

Robjame

Agreed.  IMHO there are just too many layers of government involved.  Every layer adds additional red tape and creates roadblocks.  I personally would love to see health care be a Federal responsibility but that will never happen.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robjame said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8165931/trudeau-vaccine-passports-travel-interim-measure/

Kicking the ball over to the provinces is irresponsible. Forcing the provinces to support this vaccine passport is a sure-fire way to ensure failure. International travel is the responsibility of the federal government.

Healthcare is constitutionaly a provincial area of responsibility. The provinces posses the necessary health data and the federal government would be hard pressed to compel them to give it up.

Without provincial cooperation it is quite literally not possible to implement a national vaccination certificate.

• Like 1

It was brilliant when Prime Minister Trudeau made the travel vaccine passport a customs and immigration issue rather than a healthcare issue.

Like many many issues in Canada, make the federal decision and leave it up to the provinces as to whether to comply. Watch the provinces fall in line!

So what changed between the announcement of the Canadian vaccine passport and now? Oh ya - an election.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

Kicking the ball over to the provinces is irresponsible.

I'd agree if that were the case, but nowhere in the article or elsewhere has there been any indication that the ball is being kicked over to the provinces.  What the article does point out is that that the GOC needs to work with the provinces.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

[if] there been any indication that the ball is being kicked over to the provinces.

“It is an interim measure that will be very good for the next year or so, easily..." (Trudeau)

(Hajdu) May 1 2021 - "...government embraces the concept of "vaccine passports" and will come up with a form of certification to allow vaccinated Canadians to travel internationally again."

"Speaking to reporters in Charlottetown, P.E.I., Trudeau said Ottawa will be responsible for a documentation framework for international travel specifically but that it’s up to provinces to come up with a plan domestically." July 27 2021 (Trudeau)

1 minute ago, Robjame said:

“It is an interim measure that will be very good for the next year or so, easily..." (Trudeau)

(Hajdu) May 1 2021 - "...government embraces the concept of "vaccine passports" and will come up with a form of certification to allow vaccinated Canadians to travel internationally again."

"Speaking to reporters in Charlottetown, P.E.I., Trudeau said Ottawa will be responsible for a documentation framework for international travel specifically but that it’s up to provinces to come up with a plan domestically." July 27 2021 (Trudeau)

These are not contradictory statements. What is the point you are trying to make?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'd agree if that were the case, but nowhere in the article or elsewhere has there been any indication that the ball is being kicked over to the provinces.  What the article does point out is that that the GOC needs to work with the provinces.

For sure.  GoC has to work with other countries too... a stand-alone 'made in Canada' digital proof of vaccination won't be too useful if USA and Europe (for example) don't recognize it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

2 hours ago, broberts said:

These are not contradictory statements. What is the point you are trying to make?

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

I apologize if this is confusing to you, broberts. I was responding to. Fouremco and should have made that apparent. 

A small point, but all CC members are free to comment on all posts, even those not specifically addressed to them. The more information or disparate points of view the better.

As @broberts has asked, what is the point you are trying to make? None of the quotations you have provided indicate that the GOC is kicking the ball over to the provinces as you contend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DirtyDawg said:

Sorry @Robjame, count me in with the others,  none of the quotations you have provided indicate that the Fed's are  kicking the ball over to the provinces. 

Thanks DirtyDawg, I guess I made a leap there. Thanks for your kind response - getting Covid overload and looking for boogie men behind each headline.😀

• Like 2

So much easier for the Provinces to handle.  They have the responsibility for Health. They administer health care.   They have the electronic health records that include all  vaccinations. 

No permission is needed to produce the passport, unlike the Feds who would actually have to request the recipient's permission for access to the Provincial record.

Having said that I would really like to see some sort of vaccine passport attached to our Canadian Passports in some manner.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

So much easier for the Provinces to handle.  They have the responsibility for Health. They administer health care.   They have the electronic health records that include all  vaccinations. 

No permission is needed to produce the passport, unlike the Feds who would actually have to request the recipient's permission for access to the Provincial record.

Having said that I would really like to see some sort of vaccine passport attached to our Canadian Passports in some manner.

Sorry, I'm feeling a little disconnect between how 'easy' it would be for the provinces to handle it (whatever it is) and how desirable you'd find it to have a vaccine record attached in some way to your Canadian passport, which is clearly a federal responsibility.

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Sorry, I'm feeling a little disconnect between how 'easy' it would be for the provinces to handle it (whatever it is) and how desirable you'd find it to have a vaccine record attached in some way to your Canadian passport, which is clearly a federal responsibility.

In the very short term I would like to see a Provincial vaccine passport.  By short term, I mean in the next  month or so.  Several provinces are in the process of doing this.  Where I live, in Alberta, we will  have one as well but it will be called something other than a vaccine passport for political reasons.

In the long term I would like to see a vaccination record of some sort attached to our passport.  Clearly this would be a much more significant IT and procedural  endeavour .  It would only take effect when we renewed our passport.  In our case about eight years from now.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

It seems to me that the provincial requirements for a domestic passport and the federal need to address international travel requirements are similar but distinct, as is the information to be held in the passports.

For a variety of reasons, including eliminating or reducing the need for future lockdowns if possible, provinces want to limit entry into certain venues to fully vaccinated residents. The vaccination passport need only identify the individual and the fact that he or she is fully vaccinated, as there is no need for the venue gatekeepers to know anything further. Whether a QR code printed on paper or other medium, or stored in an app on an e-device, the provinces can and should keep it simple IMO.

In order to meet the more complex requirements for international travel, the GOC will have to develop a vaccination passport that provides full details of the traveller's vaccination, including the dates and vaccine(s) used. While this might be in the form of an app and/or a printed document initially, I can see this information being incorporated in your travel passport in time, added to the biodata and biometrics already already contained on the chip imbedded in Canadian passports. As this chip is locked and can't be updated, a second chip might be required. Of course, if annual booster shots become routine, how and where the vaccination information would be updated becomes an issue that the system designers will need to address.

• Like 5

On July 1, 2013, Passport Canada started issuing a new, even more secure electronic passport, known as the ePassport. This new-generation passport has an electronic chip embedded in the book to provide greater protection against fraud and tampering, and contribute to domestic and international travel security.

From its simple beginnings as a letter of safe conduct, the passport has become the single most important international identity document a traveller can carry.

Perhaps immunization records could do with a little makeover....

• Like 5

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Perhaps immunization records could do with a little makeover....

No doubt. But that is a project requiring years of discussion and debate, both domestic and international. At the moment there is a somewhat pressing need for an immediate solution to verify a single type of vaccination.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

No doubt. But that is a project requiring years of discussion and debate, both domestic and international. At the moment there is a somewhat pressing need for an immediate solution to verify a single type of vaccination.

An immediate app-based solution can be developed and implemented as quickly as a paper-based system, and it can provide far greater security. Just look at the mess in the US with stolen and counterfeit CDC vaccination cards. While our international partners may be willing to accept the documents issued by the provinces for the short term, they will be looking for a secure, GOC-sanctioned digital passport in the near future. IMO, reintroducing the old paper immunization record approach simply won't cut it in the 21st Century.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, broberts said:

Is there really a need to reinvent the wheel for international travel? Yellow immunization record booklets have been in use for over sixty years.

Easy to forge, unfortunately.  And not registered in a central database. And easy to misplace (which I have done). 

• Like 4