Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

I used the search term: Owens Corning subsidiary PAROC fireproof panels failure to meet requirements.

Insurance Marine News, July 12, 2023: Provides original content from the Financial Times.

The final three paragraphs provide information about the ships that may be of interest.

SMAARTcompany.com: The article did not include a “finance news” perspective, as marketed. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ljsanantonio said:

The Reykjavick port has the Explora I in port on August 7, 8, and 9.

and for September 9 and 10. https://www.dokk.is/embed/calendar/5?l=en&w=csyear=2016#2016-9-27

But not sure that really means anything in light of the Kiel/Hamburg info

We have to wait some days I think because the Kiel call was booked today. So I expect next week more informations about this.

It’ showing still in Skagen on August 14, so yes we will see if they are changing the itinerary to Kiel. I don’t really care as long as it’s a go. 

Some possible positive news in that my TA was contacted by EJ today and they requested that I pay for my shore excursions. I’ve been waiting to pay for them since I wanted to understand the cancellation policy better, but have had them in my cart for a few weeks ready to purchase. 

1 hour ago, KJB416 said:

It’ showing still in Skagen on August 14, so yes we will see if they are changing the itinerary to Kiel. I don’t really care as long as it’s a go. 

Some possible positive news in that my TA was contacted by EJ today and they requested that I pay for my shore excursions. I’ve been waiting to pay for them since I wanted to understand the cancellation policy better, but have had them in my cart for a few weeks ready to purchase. 

I am on the August 1st sailing and the lack of communication and transparency for those of us who booked months ago and took it on faith that they would deliver an amazing product is stunning and not representative of people who actually care about their customers.  It leaves such a negative taste in my mouth.  I hope we end up sailing but I can't imagine ever trusting these people again with my money or my business without some type of compensation and heartfelt apology for the anxiety and disrespect they have shown us all.  This is what I imagine sailing on a budget line would be like.  It's like they have a take it or leave it attitude which does not represent the values they have spoken about for the last year in interviews and videos.  Who treats people this way?  And this is going to be my honeymoon and I've spent the last few weeks worrying about it because of their lack of caring.

• Like 12

16 hours ago, Bongomeme said:

Steamboats , where do you find that info? I’m scheduled for sept 2 and I want to reach out to my TA with this info to see if he can find out anything from explora. Thanks!

The link to the Kiel port website was in my post ("hidden" in the word Kiel) 😉

steamboats

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/safety-security/explora-i-delayed-due-fire-safety-concerns-updated

That is also interesting. They say the delivery should be on 24 July 2023 in Monfalcone. If you deliver this ship on this date, you need to sail constantly 21.8 knots to reach Copenhagen on 01st August 2023 without a bunker stop. For me this is very unrealistic with this ship..

A friend recommended The Maritime Executive — Report: MSC and Fincantieri Delay Explora 1 Due to Fire Safety Concern.

Although the article is dated July 10, 2023, it does mention SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea).

“It likely also involves the classification society, which would be responsible for certifying the ship and ensuring it meets the SOLAS standards defined by the IMO.”

International Maritime Organization (IMO) — the United Nations specialized agency with responsibility for the safety and security of shipping and the prevention of marine and atmospheric pollution by ships.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

They say the delivery should be on 24 July 2023 in Monfalcone. If you deliver this ship on this date, you need to sail constantly 21.8 knots to reach Copenhagen on 01st August 2023 without a bunker stop. For me this is very unrealistic with this ship..

That´s what Explora Journeys said when they officially cancelled the first cruise on July 17th.

steamboats

3 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

A crewmember who works at Explora I said on a Facebook group that the Kiel call is correct and Explora will communicate it in few days. 

So lets play a speculation game.  If we assume that the Kiel story is true, and going to happen, why?  The ship is scheduled to begin a voyage on Aug 21, from Hamburg.  Repositioning the ship from Italy to Kiel would put it much closer to Hamburg.  If we again speculate that all or some of the insulated panels will be replaced, this work is "dry work" that can be done by workmen at any location (even at sea).  So, carrying this pure speculation to its conclusion, do you think that Explora will cancel the cruises from Aug1 21 and than pick up their published schedule from Hamburg?

I will again emphasize that this post is pure speculation (based on nothing but the Kiel news) that is the only sense I can make out of the Kiel theory.  I would also mention that two of the larger manufacturers of this type of panel are relatively close to Kiel...which can certainly help the logistics of getting replacement panels to the vessel (more pure speculation).

Hank

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So lets play a speculation game.  If we assume that the Kiel story is true, and going to happen, why?  The ship is scheduled to begin a voyage on Aug 21, from Hamburg.  Repositioning the ship from Italy to Kiel would put it much closer to Hamburg.  If we again speculate that all or some of the insulated panels will be replaced, this work is "dry work" that can be done by workmen at any location (even at sea).  So, carrying this pure speculation to its conclusion, do you think that Explora will cancel the cruises from Aug1 21 and than pick up their published schedule from Hamburg?

I will again emphasize that this post is pure speculation (based on nothing but the Kiel news) that is the only sense I can make out of the Kiel theory.

My theory is as follows: As of now, Explora I is expected to be delivered on July 24th. Therefore, a sail to Copenhagen by August 1st seems nearly impossible, which likely means the cruise from August 1st to 15th, starting and ending in Copenhagen, will be cancelled. However, she could possibly start her 6-day tour from Copenhagen to Hamburg beginning on August 15th. Since Explora has had to cancel its christening ceremony and still wants to properly showcase the ship to press representatives, travel agencies, etc., there may be a christening voyage or introductory trip before the new maiden voyage on August 15, 2023 from Copenhagen. This could, for example, go from Copenhagen to Kiel and back. That's my idea.

Edited by Ulsteinvik
  • Like 2

I called some people in my hometown knowing navigating very well. 

If the ship is leaving Italy on 26th July it would be quite impossible to reach Copenhagen on 1 st August.

Her maximum speed is said to be 18 knots -  a brand new ship constantly on full speed???

A cruise ship is not constructed to do full speed constantly , 15 knots average  - she is not a frigate...

Ad some possible delay in Biscaia and a slowing down in the Channel ... and a slow approach to the port?

Urgent time Explora is clearing up : not a luxurious start for sure.

I am booked on 21st August ex Hamburg and I do hope it will not become a maiden cruise what I never intend to book .  

• Like 2

I am VERY  afraid Explora will delay once again everything until Southampton...

what would be extremely inconvenient  

I did book Hamburg Glasgow  , not to visit Rotterdam or Zeebrugge ( both 1,30 h from my hometown by train )  just to  avoid reaching and embarkation Southampton. 

It does appear that the EJ folks could care less about customer inconvenience.  They have, so far, made no attempt to communicate their situation and plans with Explora 1, and seem to be comfortable leaving folks in the dark until a few short days prior to a booked voyage.  This is also very unfortunate for the decent cruise/travel agents who have also been left in the dark and have no idea what advice to give their customers.    In the world of sports this would be called an "unforced error" on the part of EJ.  

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well , I did book Hamburg Glasgow and not Southampton Glasgow - one cruise with one booking number and one invoice 

I really am afraid Explora will cancel Northern Europe in full and start up in Southampton. 

OK my flight to Hamburg and pre cruise hotel is flexible  but when is Explora to give the real and final information??  

By the time they eventually give the info , probably my other options to go on a cruise in that period are sold out ( being a single )😡

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

If the ship is leaving Italy on 26th July it would be quite impossible to reach Copenhagen on 1 st August.

Even with leaving on July 24th (which is the lasted date they announced for the delivery) it might be a problem to be in Copenhagen on Aug 1st.

If that Kiel date is correct the first cruise will be Aug 15th from Copenhagen to Hamburg. So still one cruise away from your Aug 21st cruise out of Hamburg.

steamboats

34 minutes ago, Ulsteinvik said:

If she will sail 15 knots, she'll need 11 days from Monfalcone to Copenhagen without a stop. 

yes my sources in Antwerpen  told me cruise ships are not constructed at all to go full speed all the time  maybe  only the QM2 

however in 2010 the ms Europa was sailing from Singapore to Hamburg  without one port 

maybe a technical stop 

it was with passengers  , great fun and low priced  I heard afterward but I was still in my offices 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

yes my sources in Antwerpen  told me cruise ships are not constructed at all to go full speed all the time  maybe  only the QM2 

however in 2010 the ms Europa was sailing from Singapore to Hamburg  without one port 

maybe a technical stop 

it was with passengers  , great fun and low priced  I heard afterward but I was still in my offices 

Is she really that slow? 18 knots maximum speed makes her one of the slowest cruise ships. Most can travel an average of more than 20 with no issue if needed and have a maximum speed of around 24.

Edited by Saab4444

18 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Is she really that slow? 18 knots maximum speed makes her one of the slowest cruise ships. Most can travel an average of more than 20 with no issue if needed and have a maximum speed of around 24.

some people looked it up