Binax Test Order - Mixed Results

WmFoster

I ordered 3 packs of two the day that they went on sale with Royal - Sept 8.

Expedited delivery was to be by Friday Sept 10.

On Sat Sept 11 they had not even shipped.  Quick scare.  Somehow they did arrive just today. 

I ordered them with 3 cruises in mind - in 2 weeks, 6 weeks and mid-February.

However the expiration dates are not quite long enough for my February cruise and Abbott/Optum won't take them back for fear I could contaminated them.

You've been warned.  Good luck with your orders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure if they've change the site since it was first launched, but when we looked a few days ago for our cruise next month it explicitly said that the kits currently available are only valid through December 31, 2021 and they hope to have 2022 eligible kits available soon. We were going to go ahead and grab kits for our January and February cruises as well as October, but when we saw that note we opted against it.

• Thanks 1

Did they move your order status to shipped before they arrived?  I also ordered a 2-pack on the 8th… and they are reported as not yet shipped, today.   And I have a sailing on Sunday.  😕 About to cancel my order and order from eMed instead.

I personally won't buy any test kits to use for 2022 cruises.     There are so many things that can and will change from now till Jan 1, 2022.     

I understand the logic of order now and hope to be prepared with what you need for a cruise in 2022 but it could also be a waste of money if protocols for testing change.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Honestly...is a cruise vacation WORTH this headache?  I mean, I love cruising...but not at this level of insanity.

It's a decision for everybody to make, but we did a 3 day test cruise to see how we handled everything right now, and booked 4 more within 2 weeks of getting home. I can see why it wouldn't be worth it for some people, but for us it's worth it and then some to be able to be back on board. 

• Like 6

I ordered direct from Optum prior to Royal making them available. They arrived in 1 day however they were shipped in a bubble wrap envelope and both boxes crushed.  I emailed the situation and they said they’d send replacements. When they provided the tracking number it was from the original order, as of today I don’t have the replacements and Optum can’t tell me where they are or if they shipped.  I wish emed would sell a 2 or 3 pack. 

4 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Honestly...is a cruise vacation WORTH this headache?  I mean, I love cruising...but not at this level of insanity.

When I think back to pre covid and the things that people complained about, like no plastic straws, canned water, removing some favorite item on the menu, or crowded loyalty lounges, and now they are stockpiling covid tests in order to cruise with masks, social distancing, limited Windjammer hours, ever changing itineraries and new covid rules as they change from country to country. It really makes you wonder why.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We got lucky: the 6-pack we received a couple weeks ago (through emed) have an expiration of December 2021, so with the 3 month extension that makes them good through next March.

After our October '21 cruise we have a January '22 cruise with MSC so we should be able to use these for that as well. That's 4 of the 6, and we'll have one kit to spare for each cruise in case there's any problem and we need to take again.

1 hour ago, Icesk8rReedy said:

I ordered a 2 pack from Optum and it said they shipped with delivery no later than today.  When I check tracking, the number doesn't exist.  Not feeling so great about the shipping service, especially since it's FedEx.  

I ordered on 9/7, received 9/10...but I understand what you are saying about the tracking info...none provided, which is not right, by any means. Hope you received them soon.

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

When I think back to pre covid and the things that people complained about, like no plastic straws, canned water, removing some favorite item on the menu, or crowded loyalty lounges, and now they are stockpiling covid tests in order to cruise with masks, social distancing, limited Windjammer hours, ever changing itineraries and new covid rules as they change from country to country. It really makes you wonder why.

Respectfully, if you’re not interested in cruising at this time, why comment on this post? Who really needs to know whether it’s worth it to you, and why should anyone who is cruising feel compelled to explain same because you’re wondering why.   

Buying tests that are useful and necessary is not stockpiling. And wearing a simple mask isn’t a big deal to most people.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, cb at sea said:

It is not as easy as it was in July, but we are cruise people. So if cruise is possible we will go. We schedule several appointments in CVS and bought Abbott tests just to make sure we will have it.

Have 3 more this year after upcoming.

• Like 2

Received package yesterday. Package has date 2021-10-05 near hourglass (expiration?) and another date is 2021-02-08 (production date?) ...

So updated expiration date is 2022-02-08, right?

Order 3 pack on Sep 8.  Supposed to get on Sep 10.  Got on Sep 13 and received only two of the three ordered.  Customer service was very polite and said they'd send the missing one expedited.  We'll see.  Know of others who ordered the same day and have yet to receive them.  Company must be just overwhelmed.  Expiration was Oct 5, 21 extended 2 months service representative told me.

18 hours ago, cb at sea said:

It literally takes 2 minutes to order the tests online, and maybe 15 minutes to perform them.  Is that insanity? Not to me.  Cruising is safer now with these protocols than it was before with noro and other viruses lurking unchecked. Not many really weighed the chances of illnesses happening before.  Now we are much more prepared, and in my view this will be the standard going forward for healthier sailing.  And I’m glad. I’ve been sick on vacations before and it stinks.  Now I feel we are planning ahead to better prepare for healthy sailing.  Does it take some additional planning?  Absolutely.  But it’s really better than getting sick on vaca. 

Now, what I’m perplexed about is why people who don’t intend or have a desire to cruise right now feel compelled to troll and spray negative comments on threads specifically for those who are.  Maybe it’s a little envy. Maybe those comments would be more valid on a thread about people who don’t want to cruise anymore and why.  Or threads about the olden days of cruising where health wasn’t a factor.

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Received package yesterday. Package has date 2021-10-05 near hourglass (expiration?) and another date is 2021-02-08 (production date?) ...

So updated expiration date is 2022-02-08, right?

Three months from expiration. Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Respectfully, if you’re not interested in cruising at this time, why comment on this post? Who really needs to know whether it’s worth it to you, and why should anyone who is cruising feel compelled to explain same because you’re wondering why.   

Buying tests that are useful and necessary is not stockpiling. And wearing a simple mask isn’t a big deal to most people.  

The point is people complained about far less and now all of these extra steps and changes seem to be no problem. Sorry I would rather sip through a paper straw than have to breath through a paper mask.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The point is people complained about far less and now all of these extra steps and changes seem to be no problem. Sorry I would rather sip through a paper straw than have to breath through a paper mask.

Sounds like perhaps the people doing the complaining then are still complaining now, and the common sense cruisers are doing what’s necessary to continue cruising safely.

im not new to cruising, but new to this board.  I had never heard of Cruise Critic except onboard we wondered what the occasional signage was for.  

It is interesting to see the varied topics and different personalities posting for sure. 

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Sounds like perhaps the people doing the complaining then are still complaining now, and the common sense cruisers are doing what’s necessary to continue cruising safely.

im not new to cruising, but new to this board.  I had never heard of Cruise Critic except onboard we wondered what the occasional signage was for.  

It is interesting to see the varied topics and different personalities posting for sure. 

It is interesting, and it reinforces my belief that you have to pick your battles.  

So back on topic, I ordered the six pack from e-Med and received them two days later.  All six boxes are in good shape, and were shipped in a larger cardboard box.  Since we only need four tests from here to the end of the year, my hubby took one and it was super easy and quick.  Total time around 40 minutes, as we had a bit of a wait (19 minutes) to get a proctor.  He did ours on our laptop, which worked well.  

Based on our experience so far, I would feel comfortable ordering from e-Med again. 

• Like 2