Transgendered & Cruising - Question

RyanMFitz1

I am in the beginning phases of my transition and have a cruise already booked 2 years from now.  Of course we can't predict the future, my question is this:

Based on your experienced, how are transgendered people received on a cruise?  Any line "better" than the other in regards to this?

PLEASE KEEP HATEFUL SPEECH OR NEGATIVE OPINIONS TO YOURSELF.  THANKS 

• Like 2

I wish you well on your journey. I had a co-worker several years ago, who went to Thailand for her transition. She was pleased with the end results. Since this is such personal matter, I guess it depends on how open you want to be. Is it anybody's business?  (This is a rhetorical question!) 

Sorry I don't know, which cruise lines may be  more open minded/ tolerant..Hope it all works out for you.  Happy cruising!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

I am in the beginning phases of my transition and have a cruise already booked 2 years from now.  Of course we can't predict the future, my question is this:

Based on your experienced, how are transgendered people received on a cruise?  Any line "better" than the other in regards to this?

In all honestly, a better approach might be to find a cruise line(s) whose itineraries, food/service quality, bottom line pricing appeals to you and ask your question on each line’s specific forum. 
There’s also a Gay/Lesbian forum here on CC where transgender issues may be discussed with greater frequency.

• Thanks 2

Since you already have your cruise booked, then asking on that forum might be more helpful. Or on the Gay & Lesbian forum as mentioned.

Since we have only cruised RCCL and Celebrity the last 10 years, I can only comment on them, and my observations are positive. I've noticed quite a few transgender pax, and from what I observed they were treated no differently by crew or guests.

• Thanks 1

Maybe not super helpful but when someone says they don't "get it" in regards to my teen being trans, I let them know they don't have to get it , but if they make problems they can "get" these hands. 

Jokes aside, I would assume it's probably the same as anywhere else. Every cruise will have a fair mix of people from all walks of life including allies, LGBTQ , and unfortunately the transphobic.  Do not be afraid of speaking to crew members if you come across a problem with a particular passenger, they are there to make sure EVERYONE has a good vacation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

... Based on your experienced, how are transgendered people received on a cruise?  Any line "better" than the other in regards to this?

43 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

It isn't the cruise ship where you may find issues.  It will be in ports.  That is where you will need to do your research. 

Howdy @RyanMFitz1  emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo34.gif  I see it has been awhile since you have posted on the boards.

I also see you previously posted on the Gay & Lesbian Cruisers forum first but so far no replies there as I type this here. Perhaps the Cruise Critic article Top 10 Cruise Lines for Gay and Lesbian Travelers will be helpful. And regarding the post from @Elaine5715, if Jamaica is one of your ports of call please see another Cruise Critic article 6 Ways LGBTQ Cruisers Can Stay Safe on a Port Stop in Jamaica.

Be sure to use the Follow feature on this thread. That way you won't have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts on this thread because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience!  emo49.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It isn't the cruise ship where you may find issues.  It will be in ports.  That is where you will need to do your research. 

This post is right on, no issues on any line but some countries in the Caribbean are very homophobic and trans. One place is notorious for this but I will get in trouble for telling the truth. So you will have to look it up.

• Haha 1

From what we have seen on our cruises (we have been on many) few folks have any interest in one's gender, sexual persuasion, etc.  That being said, if folks are very flamboyant about their preference they would likely get some attention (mostly negative) because of their behavior....not their preferences.   I do agree that it can be a bigger issue in some ports, but this primarily would happen only if folks are determined to call attention to themselves.  

Hank

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

From what we have seen on our cruises (we have been on many) few folks have any interest in one's gender, sexual persuasion, etc.  That being said, if folks are very flamboyant about their preference they would likely get some attention (mostly negative) because of their behavior....not their preferences.   I do agree that it can be a bigger issue in some ports, but this primarily would happen only if folks are determined to call attention to themselves.  

Hank

I'll guess this post means well, but I couldn't help think that it's message is similar to blaming a woman's attire for her rapist's crime???

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I'll guess this post means well, but I couldn't help think that it's message is similar to blaming a woman's attire for her rapist's crime???

LOL!  At the risk of getting into one of those crazy blogs on dress codes I will admit that when I see a man in the MDR (of any ship) wearing a backwards baseball cap at dinner my thought is "he must have been raised by wolves."   But we do keep our thoughts to our self and simply avoid socializing with the children of wolves :).

Hank

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I do not think that was the message posted.

I just saw the (reasonable) notion that over-the-top PDA’s and flamboyant dress/behavior of ANY sort are likely to bring reactions.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

LOL!  At the risk of getting into one of those crazy blogs on dress codes I will admit that when I see a man in the MDR (of any ship) wearing a backwards baseball cap at dinner my thought is "he must have been raised by wolves."   But we do keep our thoughts to our self and simply avoid socializing with the children of wolves :).

Hank

Of course, wolves aren’t the only providers of questionable upbringing —- I am inclined to think that some diners I have encountered were more likely to have been tutored by warthogs.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

Back in 2019, over the course of a long conversation with QM2's Security Officer, it was noted that Cunard accommodations for Trans folks include issuing two different ship's cards for folks who are 'part time' - one for each presentation. This would pull up the correct picture on the display when re-boarding after a port visit.

17 hours ago, RyanMFitz1 said:

I'm assuming you are taking care to have all your documentation 'in sync' - passports and tickets need to match, even it that's not preferred name you will be using on board.

• Thanks 1

I thank you all for your feedback.  ❤️ 

As a LGBT cruiser, I am pretty CONFIDENT on the one port NOT to get off at <wink>  Of course more research would need to be done on my part.  

By the time I cruise, I will have all proper documentation in place, that alligns with the gender that I identify with.  

I didn't really think much attention would be paid if I "blend in" like everyone else does.  🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hollowgirl said:

Maybe not super helpful but when someone says they don't "get it" in regards to my teen being trans, I let them know they don't have to get it , but if they make problems they can "get" these hands. 

Jokes aside, I would assume it's probably the same as anywhere else. Every cruise will have a fair mix of people from all walks of life including allies, LGBTQ , and unfortunately the transphobic.  Do not be afraid of speaking to crew members if you come across a problem with a particular passenger, they are there to make sure EVERYONE has a good vacation. 

Thank you for this positive and first hand account of the issue.  I am confident in myself, and certainly being in the LGBT community no stranger to comments/confrontation.  I have found in the past on cruises, no one pays anyone any mind unless some actions warrants that.  

Much love to you and your teen.  ❤️ 

18 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

I wish you well on your journey. I had a co-worker several years ago, who went to Thailand for her transition. She was pleased with the end results. Since this is such personal matter, I guess it depends on how open you want to be. Is it anybody's business?  (This is a rhetorical question!) 

Sorry I don't know, which cruise lines may be  more open minded/ tolerant..Hope it all works out for you.  Happy cruising!

I agree, is it anyone's business in the big scheme of things.  I have always tried to be conscientious of everyone.