What are you doing with your mask?

When I cruise I never carry a purse with me around the ship. At night I’ll carry a wristlet to put my phone in but it’s too small to fit my mask too it barely fits my phone. And my sundresses mostly don’t have pockets. So what are you all doing with your masks when you get to your destination where you can remove it? I’m trying to get ideas so I don’t have to go get a bigger wristlet.

I use a carabiner and hang my mask by the ear loops.  I can always find something for the carabiner to attach to.

Small carabiners are sold in a rainbow of colors on Amazon fairly cheaply.

Oh, and the carabiner can also hang your button pusher on a key ring.

Edited by LadyShiva
  • Thanks 1

I bought some “evening” masks from Etsy that have narrow, light decorative trim material attached as lanyards.  During the day, I just use a larger wristlet or hang the mask loops from my wrist if it will be a short period of time.  

My phone is large and used to be kept in the safe all week.  Now that it is required for use on the ship, I have to use the larger wristlets anyway.  I do miss the tiny, cute ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I think the scientific advice was to keep your mask in a sealed plastic bag when not in use to avoid contact with other surfaces. Not saying I follow that all the time but it makes sense that something used to cover your mouth would be kept clean and away from others. 

In August I saw waiters handing out bags to people in the MDR that were sitting down, taking their masks off and dropping them on the table 

• Like 2

My 10 yo DS has a lanyard for his mask. Masks are mandatory at school (thank goodness), but they take them off during lunch and snacks, and also during outside recess. I don't want him to drop or lose it, so he clips it to a lanyard. We have plenty of free ones - from work, from cruises (Princess), etc.

The extra mask is in a ziploc bag in his backpack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

I think the scientific advice was to keep your mask in a sealed plastic bag when not in use to avoid contact with other surfaces. Not saying I follow that all the time but it makes sense that something used to cover your mouth would be kept clean and away from others. 

"science" also said never to touch it and if you do, immediately replace it. Also to wash it each night.

Then we found out covid was an airborne virus which made all that "science" obsolete.

• Like 6

We use the loop with clips.  Ours are kn95 so we fold them flat against ourselves.  This does mean the front of your shirt is “contaminated”. But your chin/neck stays clean.  We also have a flexible soft plastic sleeve we could slip them into and lay them on a table.  I can use a sanitizer wipe inside and out on this to keep it clean everyday.  We use those at a restaurant but it does mean you have to carry something around.  I might use those for dinner.

The loops are much easier for quick off and on when cruising.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

That does not work if you put them in and out of the bag.  It works for single use of the bag.

Otherwise, when you put it in, one side is contaminated and the other not.  Those sides touch the bag, so one side of the bag is contaminated and one side it not.  You take it out, and put it back in, and have a 50/50 change of putting it in such that the clean side of the mask is on the contaminated side of the bag.

Also, this advice was for the N95 respirators, where you are preventing yourself from being exposed by someone with it.

The masks people are wearing are more for preventing an infected person exposing others.  So no worries about the contaminated side.  If it is really contaminated, so are you. 😄

And you do NOT want to use a plastic bag.  It traps moisture and your mask can grow mold.  Use a paper bag.

• Like 2

Also, if you want a smaller wristlet for on board, pick up an small older phone of the same operating system as your current one.  And when cruising, either use it wifi only, or move  your sim card from your normal phone to your smaller one.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LadyShiva said:

I use a carabiner and hang my mask by the ear loops.  I can always find something for the carabiner to attach to.

Small carabiners are sold in a rainbow of colors on Amazon fairly cheaply.

Oh, and the carabiner can also hang your button pusher on a key ring.

"Button pusher"?  LOL.  I use my knuckle and always have.  I don't need an extra thing to deal with. I usually carry a wristlet too and haven't worn a mask except to Dr's appts in months.  Not looking forward to wearing them again, but obviously will to cruise.  I have my own opinion about healthy vaccinated people but will avoid it here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BND said:

"Button pusher"?  LOL.  I use my knuckle and always have.  I don't need an extra thing to deal with. I usually carry a wristlet too and haven't worn a mask except to Dr's appts in months.  Not looking forward to wearing them again, but obviously will to cruise.  I have my own opinion about healthy vaccinated people but will avoid it here.

Eh... some people like button pushers, so I mentioned them.  Norovirus is not fun, and washing your hands like Lady Macbeth gives some people raw skin.

Printing button pushers and mask neck thingies gives me a reason to have a 3D printer other than "but it is so COOL!"--you know, the reason used for all the power tools in other people's garages/workshops.  😆

Good luck continuing to avoid breakthrough Covid!  🙂 May the odds forever be in your favor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

When I cruise I never carry a purse with me around the ship. At night I’ll carry a wristlet to put my phone in but it’s too small to fit my mask too it barely fits my phone. And my sundresses mostly don’t have pockets. So what are you all doing with your masks when you get to your destination where you can remove it? I’m trying to get ideas so I don’t have to go get a bigger wristlet.

I carry plastic bags for the mask when not wearing them.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I carry plastic bags for the mask when not wearing them.

But then I’d have to figure out how to comfortably carry around the plastic bags😂 At this point I guess I’m going to look into the mask lanyard but I may just risk annoying my husband and ask him to put it in his pocket.

1 hour ago, LadyShiva said:

Eh... some people like button pushers, so I mentioned them.  Norovirus is not fun, and washing your hands like Lady Macbeth gives some people raw skin.

Printing button pushers and mask neck thingies gives me a reason to have a 3D printer other than "but it is so COOL!"--you know, the reason used for all the power tools in other people's garages/workshops.  😆

Good luck continuing to avoid breakthrough Covid!  🙂 May the odds forever be in your favor!

Well, less than 1 out of 100 (actually closer to 1 out of 200) vaccinated people get "breakthrough" cases, it's not that difficult.  The odds are in all our favors if we're vaccinated.  We just got back from our fourth week at the beach in 14 months and we eat out, go in stores, etc.

My DS has a 3D printer but has yet to make a button pusher.  Not sure if he's made mask strap, although at work he has to wear a mask when he's out of his private office.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

I keep my mask in my cell phone belt pouch.  I suppose if one were wearing the appropriate attire, my Aunt's solution would work.  She now has a bit of the elastic ear loop of a mask alongside the corner of her hankie descretely peeking out of her neckline.  I've learned not to ask......

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

"science" also said never to touch it and if you do, immediately replace it. Also to wash it each night.

Then we found out covid was an airborne virus which made all that "science" obsolete.

And our thin face coverings that aren't fit tested basically of little to no  real protection.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

These were amazing.  I always had my mask available and didn't have to hold it or have it fall on the floor off my lap.  I know I must have looked like a nerd wearing it around my neck like this, but it was so convenient.

• Like 2