Pass The Parcel Or Pass The Buck – Why Australia Can’t Cruise While The Rest Of The World Is Enjoying A Renaissance

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Remember Princess has one ship that is nominally homeported in Australia all year round, even though that ship does the long itineraries including the world cruise. Next year it's Coral Princess and she is still scheduled for itineraries from mid-Jan onwards. 

I am having doubts that Coral Princess will be coming soon. She is currently off the Bahamas, which is a long way to get to Australia. I might change my mind if she moves to the Western side of US of A. Florida is looking more likely, at the moment. Source

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I am having doubts that Coral Princess will be coming soon. She is currently off the Bahamas, which is a long way to get to Australia. I might change my mind if she moves to the Western side of US of A. Florida is looking more likely, at the moment. Source

I doubt she will deploy to this Region for the summer season and the WC in May. Too many ifs and buts, not only port restrictions here but also world wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I have doubts too but there must be some reason Princess didn't cancel all her itineraries when they cancelled the Royal and Sapphire ones.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have doubts too but there must be some reason Princess didn't cancel all her itineraries when they cancelled the Royal and Sapphire ones.

One reason could be to spread out the workload involved in processing the cancelled cruises, and where to send the ship. Standby for an announcement this month. 🤔

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But not all the initial cases came from quarantine hotels. This current Sydney outbreak was a driver.

The driver was transporting people to/from overnight quarantine so it is IMO a quarantine failure. 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Which essentially boils down to the Federal government, whose responsibility it was, passing the buck to the State governments.

But not all the initial cases came from quarantine hotels. This current Sydney outbreak was a driver.

To be more accurate, the current NSW/Vic/ACT outbreak is the result of the driver.  There are 3 states/territories which would all like to "thank" Gladys for encouraging the outbreak to occur, forcing them into lockdown.

Edited by Vader1111
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

To be more accurate, the current NSW/Vic/ACT outbreak is the result of the driver.  There are 3 states/territories which would all like to "thank" Gladys for encouraging the outbreak to occur, forcing them into lockdown.

The limo driver (Sydney) and the removalists (Melbourne), plus everyone else who broke the rules, are the culprits. In some cases those people were not aware they had caught the virus but were lax in their Covid precautions.

I do think Gladys and her cohorts were way too slow and way too soft with both their initial lockdown, and subsequent enhancements to the lockdown, which enabled Delta to spread throughout Sydney. However I'm now beginning to think that even if we had gone hard and fast immediately this variant would have spread. People just haven't been taking it seriously this time, perhaps due to pandemic fatigue.

I expected Victoria to squash their outbreak as they have been successful in the past but Delta moves way too fast and there were too many people bending the rules. I've seen it locally - takeaway coffee "dates", people not social distancing around shopping centres. Leigh has mentioned a few things from down her way - neighbours having visitors etc.

Even NZ has conceded defeat over Delta although they are still trying to keep it contained, if not supressed.

Although our vaccination rates are looking better now, especially in places where there are outbreaks. And it seems it might take an outbreak for some people to get vaccinated. 

I think we're stuck with the damn virus and the whole of Australia needs to realise that. Open the borders to fully vaccinated people, and bring back the cruise ships.

• Like 3

Hi

I want the borders open! 

hindsight is wonderful and I feel for the people who had to make the decisions.    They criticised if they opened and criticised if they keep things shut.

let’s just hope that we can all get through this.

I want to cruise but I fear Scomo is not likely to let the ships in before an election!!

I have a Christmas cruise booked but don’t actually think it will happen.

eileen

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The limo driver (Sydney)

I seem to recall that the driver was unvaxed and unmasked, and that this was not against the rules because there were no rules, only advisories. Wow. You also have to wonder why aircrew were being driven to hotels around the city and not being required to stay as close as possible to the airport? As I recall wasn't he taking his passengers to the Northern Beaches?

However I'm now beginning to think that even if we had gone hard and fast immediately this variant would have spread.

That's possible, but we could have been much surer of that had the NSW govt at least tried to make the effort. SA and Qld beat back delta, so it wasn't like it was impossible, it just meant that you only had the one chance to do it.

Open the borders to fully vaccinated people, and bring back the cruise ships.

The cruise ships will have to wait until after the election. There aren't enough votes dependent on it for the Federal govt to take the risk of reminding voters of the Ruby debacle and their part in it. But there's no risk for the Feds in forcing the covid free states to open, because they won't get the blame for the resulting sickness and death, the states will.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The limo driver (Sydney) and the removalists (Melbourne), plus everyone else who broke the rules, are the culprits. In some cases those people were not aware they had caught the virus but were lax in their Covid precautions.

I expected Victoria to squash their outbreak as they have been successful in the past but Delta moves way too fast and there were too many people bending the rules. I've seen it locally - takeaway coffee "dates", people not social distancing around shopping centres. Leigh has mentioned a few things from down her way - neighbours having visitors etc.

Julie, I really believe that Delta was still seeding across the western and northern suburbs of Melbourne even when we had zero cases on August 4th and that is why it took off right across Melbourne and then into regional areas. People just didn't bother to get tested or isolate, households were mixing when they shouldn't have been and it took off to where we are now and possibly worse results.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I seem to recall that the driver was unvaxed and unmasked, and that this was not against the rules because there were no rules, only advisories. Wow. You also have to wonder why aircrew were being driven to hotels around the city and not being required to stay as close as possible to the airport? As I recall wasn't he taking his passengers to the Northern Beaches?

Something like that. I think some flight crews were allowed to self-isolate at home which, if true, was bloody stupid. And, yes, the driver was negligent regards the mask but it was still quite early on in the vaccination process.

That's possible, but we could have been much surer of that had the NSW govt at least tried to make the effort. SA and Qld beat back delta, so it wasn't like it was impossible, it just meant that you only had the one chance to do it.

I think it was the luck of the draw for SA and QLD. Neither ended up with cases in the wild after the initial outbreak so were able to contain it. NSW and VIC both had events, a party in NSW and a crowded pub visit in VIC by people who did not know they had been in contact with the virus at the time. Plus both Sydney and Melbourne had issues with cultures that tend to have large extended families .

But there's no risk for the Feds in forcing the covid free states to open, because they won't get the blame for the resulting sickness and death, the states will.

Now that is going to be interesting! Will the Feds force the states to open or will they refuse to, especially WA. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Julie, I really believe that Delta was still seeding across the western and northern suburbs of Melbourne even when we had zero cases on August 4th and that is why it took off right across Melbourne and then into regional areas. People just didn't bother to get tested or isolate, households were mixing when they shouldn't have been and it took off to where we are now and possibly worse results.

That's why I said "everyone else who broke the rules". 😉

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NSW and VIC both had events, a party in NSW

That's what I mean about delta being a vicious virus but not impossible to contain. There was a period of several days between the govt being aware of the Bondi infection and that party in western Sydney. That was the chance to stop it, the only chance there was, and the NSW govt squibbed it by refusing to lock down the Eastern Suburbs.

35 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

That's what I mean about delta being a vicious virus but not impossible to contain. There was a period of several days between the govt being aware of the Bondi infection and that party in western Sydney. That was the chance to stop it, the only chance there was, and the NSW govt squibbed it by refusing to lock down the Eastern Suburbs.

I think it was much easier for others to contain it because they’ve been able to see what happened in Sydney.

While NSW waited till there was 15-20 cases (similar to original lockdowns), now it’s literally lock down after 1 or 2 cases (as they’ve learnt so much)

While Melbourne locked down early the spread is a result of non compliance (the engagement party etc).

Now to see if there was a case at the NRL Grandfinal…

58 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

I think it was much easier for others to contain it because they’ve been able to see what happened in Sydney.

While NSW waited till there was 15-20 cases (similar to original lockdowns), now it’s literally lock down after 1 or 2 cases (as they’ve learnt so much)

While Melbourne locked down early the spread is a result of non compliance (the engagement party etc).

Now to see if there was a case at the NRL Grandfinal…

I am sure there was at least 1.

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Yet Victoria, ACT and NZ locked down straight away and not able to contain it

1 hour ago, stki said:

Yet Victoria, ACT and NZ locked down straight away and not able to contain it

Yet SA and Qld did.

My memory is that Vic locked down, then eased up before locking down again.

The ACT locked down in August, yet delta was circulating in Sydney in late June. Basically they sat and watched as the virus came across the border.

I don't know what went wrong with NZ quarantine. I haven't looked into it.

As I said with delta you get one chance and the NSW govt didn't even use theirs.

The NSW govt saying that it was inevitable is a cop out. They have even tried to claim that nobody knew how bad delta would be. Even though the Federal govt stopped flights from India in April because of the extreme risk of delta, well before the Bondi outbreak.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gogo65 said:

That's the approach to lockdown that Vic, Qld, WA, SA NT and Tas had always taken, and Qld and WA at least had strips torn off them by NSW and Federal pollies trying to score points because of it.

How many times were we told that the NSW govt had the right approach (whack-a-mole) and everybody else was wrong.