The Daily for Friday September 24, 2021

richwmn

@Sharon in AZPositive thoughts headed to Jakob.

@rafinmdWe loved the Segway tours.  Did them in many places. Segways are no longer being produced.  Sigh....

@kazuWe do like our air fryer and use it a lot.  The one we have is made by Instant Pot. My daughter had the air fryer lid for her Instant Pot, but found it too small.  She recently got a Ninja XL.  It is larger than the toaster oven she replaced. But fits on the counter  under the cupboard. Can toast 9 pieces of bread, She cooked a whole head of cauliflower and 4 chicken breasts at one time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As usual, I am late to the party!  But, I have a great accomplishment that took most of the day.  My office is clean, clear of clutter, and all the filing is done!  Tomorrow morning I will dust it!!!  Yay for me.  I have sorted, purged, shredded, and organized.  Been a long time since it looked so nice in here.  Note to self:  Don't let the office get out of hand again.

It is really cooler this week.  This weekend is our little town's Fall Festival.  Haven't made any plans to attend--the fun stuff is at night, and I don't like walking around in the dark.

@grapau27, so good to read that your cataract surgery was a success.  Even after my surgery on both eyes, I still have to wear corrective glasses.  I had an infection in my right eye over 40 years ago, and the doctor said he had corrected my vision as much as was possible at the time of the surgeries!  Enjoy your enhanced eyesight!

Getting an air fryer sounds intriguing, but I think that is crazy.  I am only cooking for one, and I truly don't cook that much!  In the winter I am a big Crockpot user though.

Have a good evening, and enjoy the weekend.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, msmayor said:

Though I haven't yet tried it, the new stove/oven I got this spring when we re-did our kitchen has an air fryer built in.  Made by Frigidaire.  I've heard that using the setting does get the oven a bit dirty, but that's what the self-clean cycle is for, I guess.  

We may have the same model.  When I started the appliance curse when my stove/oven decided to quit, I got a Frigidaire with the air fryer built in.  I've tried it a few times, but don't see much of a difference with what I could do before.  And, yes, that is what the self clean cycle is for, but that is also how the first one met its demise.   It malfunctioned and the control panel went out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Now you have me thinking.

I love my convection oven though and my regular oven.  Do you  have that?  What make?  

My fridge needs to be replaced soon (I hate new appliances their life is not what the old life is) and the stove is fine but it’s sure not new.

Love to hear more about yours.  Thanks 🙂 

With the exception of the dishwasher which had already been replaced twice, the range and fridge were original to the house when we had it built in 1995 ( the original fridge is still going...it's now in our garage for beverages).  My microwave?  A countertop model that was purchased in 1989...32 years old and still working.

We had the kitchen re-done this spring and bought a full suite of Frigidaire Gallery appliances.  The range is Model FGGH3047VF:  

image.png.cd948b41eb3610a2d5828aae30156f88.png

Natural gas (not a fan of electric stoves) with five burners on top.  The Air Fryer option is also a feature as well as what Frigidaire refers to as "true convection".  We've had it about three months and without a doubt the oven is fantastic - very even bakes.  Nice control on the burners too - I can get a very low simmer going, something difficult on my old stove.

The fridge is actually quite basic - french door counter-depth with a bottom freezer.  There is an interior water dispenser but we do not have a water line, so it isn't connected.  Same with the ice maker...it's there, but we still make ice the old fashioned way.  (our kitchen remodel wasn't a full-gut; and I wasn't going to go through any plumbing changes to get a water line in).

image.png.fe7ef010acdf85e50ca9f59b0cbe649f.png

The dishwasher is the best we've had - super quiet.  The one thing I'm still getting used to is that all the 'buttons' for the controls are hidden on the top edge of the door, so the face is just pure stainless.  You set the wash cycle, hit 'on' and then it doesn't actually activate until the door is fully shut:

image.png.a9b994fd9b5240cc8b26c32e735f560d.png

Microwave is VERY basic...probably the lowest-level Gallery appliance in the line.  No convection features or fancy bells/whistles...we use it for basic side-dish cooking and re-heating, so no need to spend a lot on it:

image.png.fc09333929cbb45e7624c76d256f0138.png

I know I'll never get the kind of life out of these appliances that we did on the originals - they just don't make them last anymore.  As long as they stay around long enough when we're ready to sell the house in 4-5 years, I'll be happy.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Rich  @richwmn  for the daily, to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and celebration lists, and to everyone who contributes to make the "daily" such a friendly thread.  Have not been to Santa Barbara, so appreciate seeing all the photos.

@JazzyV good luck with the pre colonoscopy diet.

@rafinmd Roy, are you not able to access your PET result?

A very strong wind this morning, less now, a sunny day, temperature 16 C.

Stay safe, Take care everyone.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, cruzn single said:

As usual, I am late to the party!  But, I have a great accomplishment that took most of the day.  My office is clean, clear of clutter, and all the filing is done!  Tomorrow morning I will dust it!!!  Yay for me.  I have sorted, purged, shredded, and organized.  Been a long time since it looked so nice in here.  Note to self:  Don't let the office get out of hand again.

It is really cooler this week.  This weekend is our little town's Fall Festival.  Haven't made any plans to attend--the fun stuff is at night, and I don't like walking around in the dark.

@grapau27, so good to read that your cataract surgery was a success.  Even after my surgery on both eyes, I still have to wear corrective glasses.  I had an infection in my right eye over 40 years ago, and the doctor said he had corrected my vision as much as was possible at the time of the surgeries!  Enjoy your enhanced eyesight!

Getting an air fryer sounds intriguing, but I think that is crazy.  I am only cooking for one, and I truly don't cook that much!  In the winter I am a big Crockpot user though.

Have a good evening, and enjoy the weekend.

Thank you cruzn single.

Eye Surgery has improved dramatically  and maybe your eyes would benefit from new lenses.

I will have to get reading glasses but it is nice not having to wear my varifocal glasses all the time which are no good now.

I was told to wait 6 week's before going to an optician for new glasses.

Sounds like you have done a great job reorganising your office.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 5