The Daily for Friday September 24, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!  Another beautiful morning and for that I'm grateful after that week of rain we had.  But a few degrees cooler than yesterday morning so I had to change my attire to long yoga pants instead of the capri length.  No wind though, but still brrrr!  I think we are going to have to pick different days to go to the gym though because Fridays there are too many there on the weight machines.  Maybe Tu-Th-Sa...

I love cherries jubileee and my favorite yogurt is black cherry.  Lately the supermarket hasn't had them though so there is either too many of us buying them or there's a supply problem.  Drat!

Native Americans are worthy of our appreciation.  I'm a big fan of koalas.  Some of my favorite photos I took while at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane follow:   00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNzgU4j-Vph-fJnelvUidM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632486582

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL6pKSfpZYZXhYpzFbT8l2c?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513619193

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUgqHlhAAIBtu0zAJOCjmc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513619190

I haven't been to Santa Barbara yet but I'm sure the photos will all be lovely.  Thanks for those provided by @msmayor!

Chicken Parmesan sounds and looks delicious, so thanks to @dfishfor the recipes and photos.  Meh to the quote!  

Nice to see our shorter Care list.  @rafinmdhave you spoken to Scout Jamie lately to see how he is doing?  With all our prayers to those on the list I hope all are progressing nicely.  And congrats to everyone on the Celebration list.  🥂

Have a wonderful day!

• Like 31

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

Fortunately it’s not cold yet but for those that are suffering from the early morning cold - this will be me soon

That could be my wife in the Meme you posted.  Heated seats and flip flops in the Nova Scotia winter.

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

Good morning to all. Thanks for our lists,recipes and the Daily.The quote is an odd one but the koalas, cherries and especially  Native Americans  deserve many days. We have not been to the port. 

Yesterday I made the crustless quiche for the gang and it was a big hit.A neighbor had given me some of his last homegrown tomatoes  and they were so good in this recipe.

Today's  recipe is also a  good one, especially  if one grills or bakes the chicken.Thanks Debbie @dfish.

@grapau27  I am so glad the surgery  went well.  It will be wonderful to see better and be able to get your new glasses..

The rain came last night without  causing major problems. Phew. Today  DD has the insurance  adjuster  coming to assess  the basement.There are so many claims it took this long to get  the appointment. 

Take care out there everyone.

Terry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

I would gladly send the rain to anyone who needs it.  We had a NASTY thunderstorm last night.  Lasted several hours and I'm someone in our development lost a tree.  The ground shook.  Our pool was at the top and we had to drain some before it spilled out into the house.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I love Cherries Jubilee and whenever I see it on the menu on a BHB, I'm sure to order it.  I have Cree ancestry, so happily recognize Native American and Indigenous peoples everywhere today.   Seriously, how can you not love koalas?  They're just so adorable.

Well the weatherman pulled a fast one on us overnight - when I went to bed I checked the forecast to see that it was supposed to go down to +4 overnight.  When I got up this morning, I turned on the radio to hear the temp is -1 with a wind chill of -6 (21F).  Nothing was covered last night; I only hope my succulents made it through.  Hopefully the fencing and trees surrounding the property protected everything, but if not, well, there will be some cleaning up to do.

@cat shepardthe wine descriptions really kill me some days:  this is light on it's feet, like a tiny dancer, held aloft by a very solid support of tannins.  LOL

@Quartzsite Cruiser yes, please share your air fryer chicken parm. recipe!

It'll be a quiet Friday here until later in the afternoon - DH and his band are the closing act for the Council on Aging's "Little Grand Old Opry" competition fundraising dinner this evening.  There are 5 acts who had to audition - because DH and his band had won the inaugural contest 5 years ago, they keep asking them to return to round out the show.  That means I get to go along (with the band), have a lovely dinner and enjoy the music. And wine.

The organizers are taking Covid very seriously, with everyone attending having to submit proof of full vaccination prior to tonight's event.  No proof, no entrance.  I'm happy to see they're being vigilant about this, as we're nearing crisis proportions in our province.  Just yesterday we were advised that the organ transplant program has been put on hold because there are no beds available.  How sad is that?

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high to cheer all those on the celebratory list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. Just received a call from CVS that our scheduled Covid booster shot scheduled for today has been cancelled. Apparently CVS is on hold giving booster unless one has immunological issues. We wanted to get booster before our cruise.☹️

Another beautiful cool morning and looking forward to a walk around the neighborhood.

Have a wonderful day and memorable weekend. Thanks to all who contribute to our Daily E-newspaper!

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning to all. Just received a call from CVS that our scheduled Covid booster shot scheduled for today has been cancelled. Apparently CVS is on hold giving booster unless one has immunological issues. We wanted to get booster before our cruise.☹️

Another beautiful cool morning and looking forward to a walk around the neighborhood.

Have a wonderful day and memorable weekend. Thanks to all who contribute to our Daily E-newspaper!

We got our booster shots at our local, independent pharmacy.  You might check with another pharmacy or the one at the big box store.

• Like 12

50 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We got our booster shots at our local, independent pharmacy.  You might check with another pharmacy or the one at the big box store.

Thanks! CVS just called back and a hierarchy approved giving a booster shot. So our appointments for today are back on.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 23

I got my booster shot at CVS a couple of weeks ago, had originally scheduled for Walgreens but when i went for the appointment they would not give the shot as I am not immunocompromised. My husband's physician recommended that  I get a booster as he has multiple medical issues and I am  his caregiver. I would be able to get it now if following the new guidelines.

It seems the booster shot guidelines are being changed daily!!

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. Thanks for our lists,recipes and the Daily.The quote is an odd one but the koalas, cherries and especially  Native Americans  deserve many days. We have not been to the port. 

Yesterday I made the crustless quiche for the gang and it was a big hit.A neighbor had given me some of his last homegrown tomatoes  and they were so good in this recipe.

Today's  recipe is also a  good one, especially  if one grills or bakes the chicken.Thanks Debbie @dfish.

@grapau27  I am so glad the surgery  went well.  It will be wonderful to see better and be able to get your new glasses..

The rain came last night without  causing major problems. Phew. Today  DD has the insurance  adjuster  coming to assess  the basement.There are so many claims it took this long to get  the appointment. 

Take care out there everyone.

Terry

Thanks Terry.

My distance reading is brilliant now with the eye that I had the op on yesterday and most of the haze has gone.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

I’ve been confused over that one. I know several people ( without risk factors, young) who have already gotten boosters ( weeks ago). And we hear it was now just approved….

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Well the weatherman pulled a fast one on us overnight - when I went to bed I checked the forecast to see that it was supposed to go down to +4 overnight.  When I got up this morning, I turned on the radio to hear the temp is -1 with a wind chill of -6 (21F).  Nothing was covered last night; I only hope my succulents made it through.  

Oh dear, I hope your plants survived 🤞 

Weatherman pulled a fast one on us too, Gerry.  Rain wasn’t supposed to start until today and now my bulbs that were outside drying are wet again 😡. Not as bad as your frost surprise though.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

It'll be a quiet Friday here until later in the afternoon - DH and his band are the closing act for the Council on Aging's "Little Grand Old Opry" competition fundraising dinner this evening.  There are 5 acts who had to audition - because DH and his band had won the inaugural contest 5 years ago, they keep asking them to return to round out the show.  That means I get to go along (with the band), have a lovely dinner and enjoy the music. And wine.

The organizers are taking Covid very seriously, with everyone attending having to submit proof of full vaccination prior to tonight's event.  No proof, no entrance.  I'm happy to see they're being vigilant about this, as we're nearing crisis proportions in our province.  

Congrats to your DH and his band for being recognized for their musical talents.  Enjoy the show, dinner & wine 👍 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All!

We have a cooler morning, but yesterday’s haze persists.  We had a strongly demarcated cloudy line of smoke that drifted down from the Central Valley yesterday. Initially I thought it was marine layer, but it was “dissolving” in the wrong direction. I’ve lived in the LA basin all my life and never have seen this. 

Love cherries jubilee and I normally order the Not So Traditional Baked Alaska at the PG without the cake or meringue- so it is essentially cherries jubilee with Cherry Garcia ice cream.

Today is house cleaning day. “Mr Mop-Paws” has spent the last few days tracking in dirt and mud from the yard. (As a 115 lb Golden retriever, his paws are huge and hairy😩). We’re in the process of redesigning the backyard, so this is just the beginning….

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

😊 Happy Friday! The drink of the day does sound interesting...especially if it's made with rum from Flor de Cana ( remembering a Nicaragua excursion).

😎 We typically drive to Santa Barbara at least once a year...great destination along with Solvang as a get away. 🍷

🐨 Koalas are also a favorite with two experiences ~~Wild Habitat in Port Douglas and the Lone Pine Sanctuary.  I remember being on an excursion to the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary in Tasmania but were there koalas??  

Hoping the lockdown ends with more getting vaccinated in AU.💉

🙏Prayers to all in need and again thanks to Rich @richwmn for The Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists!😉

👍Great photos from Brisbane @StLouisCruisersand to those contributing.

Katie

20210924_075115.jpg

349214-Pretty-Sunflower-Happy-Friday-Quote.jpg

Edited by garlictown
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

My visit to Santa Barbara was on the Crystal Serenity in 2011.  At the time I was using a blog platform called Travelpod, no longer in existence and have access only to limited backup information.  My tour was the first time on a Segway, and I was not in a position to take a lot of photos but I have a couple taken where I felt it safe, rather than where the best photo ops were.  Here's a portion of my blog:

My tour was "Santa Barbara by Segway". I was particularly curious about this tour since I wanted one for my upcoming cruise out of Baltimore but RCI deemed me "too old"

About 9 of us were shuttled about half a mile in a van to the office and fitted with helmets. We spent about 30 minutes becoming familiar with the machines before we took off. Forward and backward motion is controlled strictly by shifting one's weight forward (faster) or back (slow, stop, or reverse).

IMG_3234.thumb.JPG.81dedfa2fa05338c4e237e0c7f3c047b.JPG

The handlebars are shifted right or left to turn, and the machines can "spin in place" while standing still. The most tricky aspect of riding is dismounting as one must step off quickly with one foot while keeping the weight centered. If you shift your weight back while stepping off the segway can roll back into you.
After our introductory practice we headed out on the sidewalks and bike paths rolling about a mile eastward along the shore. We passed through a number of parks and gardens, including "shipwreck park", an area with a nautical theme in sculpture including parts of "ships" and a number of whales. We also stopped by a very vintage carousel

IMG_3235.thumb.JPG.a80f293c610fbc8209333a6c5de75bde.JPG

. After the tour I walked back to the pier and the ship, passing a number of seals sunning on a buoy on the tender ride.

Roy

• Like 23

37 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’ve been confused over that one. I know several people ( without risk factors, young) who have already gotten boosters ( weeks ago). And we hear it was now just approved….

Same here! We had several folks we know get them. Many got them at a Infection Control Clinic whom must determine each individuals risk factor. So your right and it was confusing and contradictory.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Probably not but it’s helped me. 🙃I got tired of clearing browser history and cookies multiple times a day.  😉

I was doing that, and refreshing to “like.” Then nothing worked, only reading. Then everything started working without me doing anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Cruise Critic is very fickle. 😕

• Like 15

Good morning. Thanks Rich and all who are here on the Daily. Beautiful day here but slightly colder. You can tell fall is here. Maybe 38 years ago I spent a summer as a camp host in the mountains above Solvang staying in a fire station. Great experience. Photos brought back many memories. 

• Like 18

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday. Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to all on the Care list and an extra prayer for my Ladies Retreat friend’s son, Jakob. He is 7 and struggling with a Covid related lung infection and has been in PICU.  I just found out he had a good night and was weaned down to a lower level of oxygen.  But he gets uncomfortable and anxious and that makes it harder for him to breathe, so praying for him to stay comfortable and positive. 

I haven’t been to Santa Barbara, someday I’ll get there. But we have been to Solvang twice in the 70’s. First time was on our honeymoon in 1974 and second time was later 70’s. We saw MacLean Stevenson shopping there with his daughter and this was during the heyday of Mash so that was fun. 

I need to rush now. I’m going shopping with Craig and then we are going to lunch. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday. Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to all on the Care list and an extra prayer for my Ladies Retreat friend’s son, Jakob. He is 7 and struggling with a Covid related lung infection and has been in PICU.  I just found out he had a good night and was weaned down to a lower level of oxygen.  But he gets uncomfortable and anxious and that makes it harder for him to breathe, so praying for him to stay comfortable and positive. 

I haven’t been to Santa Barbara, someday I’ll get there. But we have been to Solvang twice in the 70’s. First time was on our honeymoon in 1974 and second time was later 70’s. We saw MacLean Stevenson shopping there with his daughter and this was during the heyday of Mash so that was fun. 

I need to rush now. I’m going shopping with Craig and then we are going to lunch. 

I'm so sorry about poor Jakob.  Being 7 years old and hospitalized like that would be very scary.  Praying he is better very soon1

• Like 14