The Daily for Friday September 24, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Mine sits on the kitchen counter.

that’s what I’m afraid of.  I’m going to have to look at dimensions.

My kitchen counter is cluttered with coffee maker, 2 jars of dog cookies (a must) all my little spatula stirring things in a container, the toaster, etc.

It’s not as bad as it sounds but I’d like to find a way to get rid of some of the clutter rather than add to it.

the dogs have told me that the cookie jars are non negotiable 😂 

• Like 7
  • Haha 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like cherries jubilee. A salute to Native Americans and cute Koalas.

Interesting quote; not sure I agree. I like the meal, drink and wine (although beyond my price range).

I've never been to Santa Barbara. Thanks for the pictures.

I picked up my new glasses this morning, and they seem good. So no more putting on reading glasses 100 times a day.

Brrrr. It was 49 here this morning. I had turned off ceiling fans, and had to put an extra blanket on the bed. It's 70 now but I can't get warm. I just had soup for lunch. I started my low fiber diet today, with clear liquids/prep on Monday, for a colonoscopy on Tuesday.

@rafinmd Very nice sunrise.

@Sharon in AZ Prayers for Jakob. Our Children's Hospital here has been overflowing, sadly.

@grapau27 I'm glad your vision is improving. I got my 3rd shot just shy of 6 months after the 2nd due to being immunocompromised. They (scientific types) are saying in this case it should be called a 3rd shot, not a booster, since the original 2 weren't as effective.

@kb4683 Congrats on booking a cruise!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the recipe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. We had 330 new Covid cases the last 24 hours in my county, but that's down from a peak of over 500/24 hours a few days ago. Still way too many, and hopefully it keeps trending down.

A koala at the Ballarat Wildlife Park, Melbourne, Australia

665.thumb.JPG.1baece9a916769ecba9a3a845a19ca94.JPG

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

Gerry:

What kind of band is this? What type of music do they play?

I am in a band as well.

Jim

They play a mixture of 50's, 60's, 70's mainly.  Songs like  Crazy, Me & Bobby McGee, Country Roads, Folsom Prison Blues, Mr. Bojangles, etc.  The 3 guitarists all play Martin acoustics, and for big gigs like tonight, they add bass guitar and drums.  Tonight because it's a Grand Old Opry theme, they'll be wearing their western style shirts - I'll try to get a pic to post tomorrow.

What is your band's specialty?  What do you play?

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the recipe; I'll definitely try this one!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

that’s what I’m afraid of.  I’m going to have to look at dimensions.

My kitchen counter is cluttered with coffee maker, 2 jars of dog cookies (a must) all my little spatula stirring things in a container, the toaster, etc.

It’s not as bad as it sounds but I’d like to find a way to get rid of some of the clutter rather than add to it.

the dogs have told me that the cookie jars are non negotiable 😂 

I understand about the clutter.  I've tried to declutter, but since Covid, it seems we've added more to the counter, including a bigger utensil holder.

The kitchen in Quartzsite is smaller, so the Instant Pot is in the hall closet.

I think both the air fryer and the Instant Pot are worth finding the space.  I use both a lot.

BTW, I really liked the Golden Girls meme.  Used to watch it with the DDs.

Lenda

• Like 12

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Wow! What a beautiful day for a ride with the top down! Here’s a tip. Do not laminate your vaccine card. Instead use a plastic sleeve. CVS called to clarify our appointment and said bring your vaccine cards. Then they asked if it was laminated. The booster shot should be on same card. They’ll make it right but just letting you know.

I saw a tip saying to make a copy and laminate that to carry around. Leave the original in the safe in your cabin.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Lends @Quartzsite Cruiser, yes I’d love the icing recipe you use for the cake. I’ve always used the recipe from the package on the Germans’ chocolate. 

It'll be tomorrow before I'm on the laptop again, but will post both recipes.  I might even try making the cake recipe next time, even with my track record making cakes from scratch.

I got the recipes from my mother's caregiver of15 years.  Mamie also help get me through the terrible tweets and teens.

Lenda 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like cherries jubilee. A salute to Native Americans and cute Koalas.

Interesting quote; not sure I agree. I like the meal, drink and wine (although beyond my price range).

I've never been to Santa Barbara. Thanks for the pictures.

I picked up my new glasses this morning, and they seem good. So no more putting on reading glasses 100 times a day.

Brrrr. It was 49 here this morning. I had turned off ceiling fans, and had to put an extra blanket on the bed. It's 70 now but I can't get warm. I just had soup for lunch. I started my low fiber diet today, with clear liquids/prep on Monday, for a colonoscopy on Tuesday.

@rafinmd Very nice sunrise.

@Sharon in AZ Prayers for Jakob. Our Children's Hospital here has been overflowing, sadly.

@grapau27 I'm glad your vision is improving. I got my 3rd shot just shy of 6 months after the 2nd due to being immunocompromised. They (scientific types) are saying in this case it should be called a 3rd shot, not a booster, since the original 2 weren't as effective.

@kb4683 Congrats on booking a cruise!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the recipe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. We had 330 new Covid cases the last 24 hours in my county, but that's down from a peak of over 500/24 hours a few days ago. Still way too many, and hopefully it keeps trending down.

A koala at the Ballarat Wildlife Park, Melbourne, Australia

665.thumb.JPG.1baece9a916769ecba9a3a845a19ca94.JPG

Thank you JazzyV.

I'm really sorry to hear you are immunocompromised but happy to hear you have had your vaccine booster.

We always wear our masks indoors.

Take care and stay safe.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you JazzyV.

I'm really sorry to hear you are immunocompromised but happy to hear you have had your vaccine booster.

We always wear our masks indoors.

Take care and stay safe.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. It was caused by medications used to treat my eye condition (uveitis, not the cataracts). I am slowing getting off those meds, so I hope to have a more robust immune system down the road.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Thank you Graham. It was caused by medications used to treat my eye condition (uveitis, not the cataracts). I am slowing getting off those meds, so I hope to have a more robust immune system down the road.

Best wishes in the reduction of those medications and hopefully a more robust immune system.

Graham.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

I saw a tip saying to make a copy and laminate that to carry around. Leave the original in the safe in your cabin.

Just got back from receiving our booster shots. They made a new card out for us. They stated “you can only have one card!” So far feeling OK!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It'll be tomorrow before I'm on the laptop again, but will post both recipes.  I might even try making the cake recipe next time, even with my track record making cakes from scratch.

I got the recipes from my mother's caregiver of15 years.  Mamie also help get me through the terrible tweets and teens.

Lenda 

Tomorrow is fine. I won’t be making it for a while. I don’t have a good track record with cakes either. They always seem dry. And the last German chocolate one I made was all crumbly. But I keep trying. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Tomorrow is fine. I won’t be making it for a while. I don’t have a good track record with cakes either. They always seem dry. And the last German chocolate one I made was all crumbly. But I keep trying. 

The cakes I make with the mix have turned out moist.  They are just about done on the minimum time for dark pans.  Sometimes, I turn the oven off and leave them for a minute or two.  The hangover heat in the oven finishes cooking them.

Lenda

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Dry seems to be a common denominator with cakes from scratch.   Here are some tips:  https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/prevent-dry-dense-cake/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

They play a mixture of 50's, 60's, 70's mainly.  Songs like  Crazy, Me & Bobby McGee, Country Roads, Folsom Prison Blues, Mr. Bojangles, etc.  The 3 guitarists all play Martin acoustics, and for big gigs like tonight, they add bass guitar and drums.  Tonight because it's a Grand Old Opry theme, they'll be wearing their western style shirts - I'll try to get a pic to post tomorrow.

What is your band's specialty?  What do you play?

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the recipe; I'll definitely try this one!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

That sounds like fun.

Our band plays classic Rock and Blues. We have a lead guitar, rhythm guitar, keyboard, bass, drums and sax. I play rhythem guitar. Keyboard, bass and guitars are electric. We play mostly classics but also write some of our own stuff.

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

Dry seems to be a common denominator with cakes from scratch.   Here are some tips:  https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/prevent-dry-dense-cake/

I had the very bad luck to have one scratch cake turn out really delicious.  So now I think it's possible and I keep baking door stops.

The boxed German chocolate cakes really are good.  That and Joy of Cooking coconut pecan icing was my sister's favorite cake.  It always makes me think of her.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, kazu said:

the more I read about air fryers, the more I think I need to get one.  Just don’t know where it will go 😱 

Though I haven't yet tried it, the new stove/oven I got this spring when we re-did our kitchen has an air fryer built in.  Made by Frigidaire.  I've heard that using the setting does get the oven a bit dirty, but that's what the self-clean cycle is for, I guess.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just got back from receiving our booster shots. They made a new card out for us. They stated “you can only have one card!” So far feeling OK!

@aliaschiefThat's strange about having one card. I went to our local pharmacy where we had our jabs (and the booster an hour ago) to have my card changed to my legal name rather than Susie. He let me keep both cards.

• Like 4

Just now, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@aliaschiefThat's strange about having one card. I went to our local pharmacy where we had our jabs (and the booster an hour ago) to have my card changed to my legal name rather than Susie. He let me keep both cards.

Different states, countries, businesses, lots of policies. This was my USA  CVS Pharmacy experience.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Though I haven't yet tried it, the new stove/oven I got this spring when we re-did our kitchen has an air fryer built in.  Made by Frigidaire.  I've heard that using the setting does get the oven a bit dirty, but that's what the self-clean cycle is for, I guess.  

Now you have me thinking.

I love my convection oven though and my regular oven.  Do you  have that?  What make?  

My fridge needs to be replaced soon (I hate new appliances their life is not what the old life is) and the stove is fine but it’s sure not new.

Love to hear more about yours.  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 5