The Daily for Monday September 27, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from central Texas.  I started reading the daily early thins morning and off and on during the day. 

This morning turned out to be busier than planned.  Besides, laundry (the last load is now in the dryer!), I took the convertible to the neighborhood service staton to be inspected.  After breakfast, we took the motorhome there to be inspected.  That is more entailed than just driving a car there.  Fortunately, I was able to resgister them online in prepartation for the fall migration to Quartzsite in a few weeks.

We have been to Sydney twice.   The first time was in 2000 on P&O's Oriana world cruise.  (It was the only one that was going all the way around.)  In 2002, we were on the 64-day APEC cruise on Volendam, and spent 1 1/2 days in Sydney.

I'll post my pictures, some of which may be a version of ones already shown, but others are new.  When I'm finished, I'll go back and reread the daily and probably make some comments.

In 2000, when we were a lot younger, we had a busy day beginning with the sail in.    We took the Ho-Ho and then walked around downtown Sydney.

The sunrise as we sailed in and the pilot boat.

P2140234.thumb.JPG.193a92d020f98e07946f9877d01443f9.JPG

Our first view of the skyline and the Opera House as we headed toward Circular Quay.

P2140238.thumb.JPG.a4f77b98610e8db795679b952c9e7e38.JPG

Just one picture of the shopping district

P2140243.thumb.JPG.bb319f55daca6f895ce70266b98639b7.JPG

When we got back to Circular Quay, we decided to take the ferry to Manly across the bay.

P2140262.thumb.JPG.0c6b2b748f200620eb1e83070b18bf50.JPG

P2150264.thumb.JPG.eb7e2975cce8a507439043558ab706bc.JPG

P2150266.thumb.JPG.34806026f79ab167d938d86dd56df8a3.JPG

I couldn't resist the sunset pictures on two iconic symbols of Sydney.

P2150271.thumb.JPG.d0f15c97e8a0934431c2ab260cc75637.JPG

P2150272.thumb.JPG.ed774cd0e52fd3caede24fb5684fea17.JPG

In 2002, Volendam sailed into the bay about noon.  This was Volendam's maiden call in Sydney, and we were greeted by a fire boat who lead us to Circular Quay.

IMG_1930.thumb.JPG.e378b46998a708bdc8c6effbe03d9bfc.JPG

When we left the ship, two wildlife experts greeted us, one with a Koala and one with a Sugar Baby, who had the softest fur.  Sorry it's a little blurry.

IMG_1957.thumb.JPG.2a1f8767f1b1fd0eb62efb70dae97add.JPG

That afternoon, we took the Ho-Ho and visited a couple of museums, including an old electric power plant, but I don't have pictures. 

The next day, we rented a car and drove to the Blue Mounstains, and on the way back, around some of the far reaches of Sydney.

We saw this unusal bug that seems to have a face on his back.  It looks like some type of moth.  I had to really zoom in so the "face" would show up.

IMG_1965.JPG.afd77417a16580245e48cdd3a4315f62.JPG

Some pictures of the Blue Mountains

IMG_1966.thumb.JPG.e2859a746b9fb2c569eb10cb1b5fa3de.JPG

IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.ad71e08e26545beb7b7f612d2533d0c5.JPG

IMG_1977.thumb.JPG.44b777a12931b88fda788b3eba32b11f.JPG

IMG_1975.thumb.JPG.d78b0e020daefcecbb2c7bea79b0bdd4.JPG
IMG_1976.thumb.JPG.98fd0fbefcbfcbdd8be11a37ff132288.JPG

I've always thought Dali's work while different was interesting.

IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.32c3d6272ff6bb5c838ccb84bf9420ae.JPG

The Rocks

IMG_1954.thumb.JPG.93038aa10a3084f49662f886252c0778.JPG

Sailway

IMG_1994.thumb.JPG.4dc743d3a19774f88e7e01fe4b3d1ae3.JPG

The sunset over Sydney as we sailed toward the Bay of Islands.

IMG_2011.thumb.JPG.4ba3955700f04abc9abcc94bd365d4d0.JPG

Lenda

Gorgeous photos thanks for sharing.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Thank you! Some ports seem relatively calm, but I gather that entrance to Sydney Harbour is always nasty. The ship and the speedboat were indeed pitching hard in opposite directions. Getting from the ladder to the speedboat involved a long wait and a split second leap at exactly the right moment. Even just watching wasn’t for the faint of heart!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

World Tourism Day, made to think about our May 2022 cruise out of Sydney, and it would be great if it went, but that is still up in the air.  To be on the safe side, we also booked the same cruise for June 2023.  World Tourism seems to be slowly coming back, and hopefully, very safely.

Family Day and Ancestor Appreciation do go together.  I have started tracing my ancestors during the pandemic.  Some branches of the family seem to be a dead end right now, but I've traced some back to Ireland in the 1700s, and some to England or Wales in the very late 1600s.

I really like today's quote, whoever said it.  Today, though it seemed like life messed with the plans for today.  😀  Still, eveything managed to get done.

I'll definitely pass on the drink and the wine.  Pulled port is a favorite here, but we preferred to cook it in the smoker for about six hours and until the internal temperature reaches 200F.  It needs to reach that temperature so that it will pull easily and be tender.

We've found that the Boston butt port shoulder with the fat left on works the best for a moist piece of meat.  We also wrap it after it has gotten all the smoke it can, and for a minimum of two hours. We use a remote thermometer to keep track of the internal temperature.

There are several rubs we like, but I usually make my own and my own barbecue sauce.  I use recipes for Carolina PUlled Pork I found in a Weber cookbook.  Texas does beef well, but the Carolinas are the experts on pork  In case anyone wants to try the rub and sauce I use, they should work in the slow cooker too. 

CAROLINA “RED” PULLED PORK SHOULDER RUB

1 T Kosher salt                                                      2 t paprika

1 T brown sugar                                                   1 t chile powder

Mix ingredients and rub on meat.  Wrap meat in foil and let marinate in refrigerator several hours or overnight.

CAROLINA “RED” PULLED PORK SHOULDER SAUCE

1 c apple cider vinegar                                       1 t Tabasco sauce

1 c ketchup                                                           1 t Worcestershire sauce

¼ c brown sugar                                                   1 t kosher salt

In a large heavy-bottom saucepan, whisk the sauce ingredients.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.  It should be spicy and tangy.

Neither DH or I are very fond of vinegary sauces, so I only use half the vinegar the recipe calls for, and it works just fine.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5

It seems there is a lot going on today while I was busy.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope your are feeling better and that the pills worked.

@St. Louis Sal  Glad you had such an enjoyable weekend.  Sorry about the hearing aids.  I've had two die on me, once on a cruise.  Fortunately, I knew it was about to go and had a backup with me.  Now, the ones I replaced this year, are the backups for an emergency.

@cruzn single  Hope your friend's DH tested negative.  That was a beautiful Colorado sunset.

@Sharon in AZ  Congratulations on your upsell.

@aliaschief  Wow, that is some upsell.  Enjoy your Pinccacle Suite.

@VMax1700  Glad you had a good visit with your granddaughters, but sorry the oldest broke her collarbone.  Sending good thoughts for quick healing.

@NextOne  Glad the move is safely behind you, DS and DDIL.

@JazzyV  Good picture of you and the group who did the bridge walk.  DH would have liked to have done it, but did not want to do it without me.  I can handle some heights, but that would be more than I would enjoy.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the kind words about my pictures.  You and Pauline would enjoy Australia.

@dfish  Debbie, good news that your cabinet will be fixed this week.

@mamaofami  Like the sounds of your DS's plans for summer jobs and for his future for med school and beyond.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser that recipe sounds delicious - I'm going to print it off and try it next time I make a pulled pork dish.

BTW, you and I have both referred to driving around topless - what do you have?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I hope you like the recipe.  Both the rub and the sauce are easy.  I usually make the sauce early and just let it sit out until needed.

We have a 2013 Volvo hardtop convertible.  For running errands, we have a 2014 Smart, that is also a convertible, but the top siides back in a track, so you can operate going down the road.

What do you have?

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

Thanks to @Quartzsite Cruiserand @JazzyVfor the new photos of your visit to Sydney.  Lots of interesting new things for us to see.

@mamaofamisorry about the confusion.  Your young man sounds like he is well rounded with his interests.  Good luck to him!

@aliaschiefbet you're glad you were available when that email popped up.  Congrats to you two and I know you'll have a great time enjoying that Pinnacle Suite.

@kazu, @JazzyV, @grapau27, and @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for your concern about me.  I felt reasonably better this afternoon but became sleepy while reading so took a rest/nap for a while.  Not feeling like eating a lot tonight so we will do a light "supper".  Thanks again!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks to @Quartzsite Cruiserand @JazzyVfor the new photos of your visit to Sydney.  Lots of interesting new things for us to see.

@mamaofamisorry about the confusion.  Your young man sounds like he is well rounded with his interests.  Good luck to him!

@aliaschiefbet you're glad you were available when that email popped up.  Congrats to you two and I know you'll have a great time enjoying that Pinnacle Suite.

@kazu, @JazzyV, @grapau27, and @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for your concern about me.  I felt reasonably better this afternoon but became sleepy while reading so took a rest/nap for a while.  Not feeling like eating a lot tonight so we will do a light "supper".  Thanks again!

Glad your feeling better.  Hope whatever it is is gone by morning.

Lenda

• Like 8

Glad you are feeling better Sandi! @StLouisCruisers taking it easy sounds wise. 

My PT team have released me a bit early. I am going to keep my Friday appointment, since it is the day after my first gym class - as insurance. But hoping all will go well and I can cancel after class. 

Now I just have to work on my knee/muscle strength, but I can do most things “normally”. And I no longer need my cane, when I take Bindi out. 

Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My PT team have released me a bit early. I am going to keep my Friday appointment, since it is the day after my first gym class - as insurance. But hoping all will go well and I can cancel after class. 

Now I just have to work on my knee/muscle strength, but I can do most things “normally”. And I no longer need my cane, when I take Bindi out. 

Thanks Ann!  We'll see how I feel after dinner.  That's when my upset stomach began last night.  🤞

You have to have been a model patient for your PT team.  Glad to hear this recovery period is almost over.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is probably funny to read my fellow Floridians comments about "cool" mornings, but here on the west coast of Florida it is feeling like gentle relief from the summer humidity.  Present dew point is 67 compared with 75 and that is better.  With the Gulf at a balmy 86, we won't chill much.

Sydney is  a top 10 destination  to see on my bucket list.

• Like 17

Featherdale Wildlife Park is located 40 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district. The Park contains various species native to Australia and is also known to be one of the world’s largest collections of Australian fauna. The Park opened in 1972 as a nursery, lined with native trees and plants, in conjunction with a wildlife park. The Park has won numerous awards, including the best NSW Major Tourist Attraction award in 2005 and 2009.

image.png.67f8f55049f5be6b1b33899d942e1198.png

The Park markets itself as Sydney’s ultimate hands-on wildlife experience and when the park recently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and fires that occurred on the southeast coast of NSW, the Park stated that the closures had significant impacts on the animals that were conditioned to constant attention from visitors.

Animals and birds of all sizes mix with visitors throughout various sections of the park.

image.png.4153a7b1728e68a9b8f84fb715aa69b3.png

image.png.77c433cd4f6e5bb3d0169504316b3b38.png

image.png.0ab54147dcdd6b86201f3d6d6a943f41.png

It can be a little scary to have a bird also as big as you are to wander along the pathways with you.102405911_Zoo1.jpg.6cccb792b8d34c132853c8fb0660410c.jpg

257884430_Zoo3.jpg.2c52dac1f1bdf6f737b97d0c8a9ab8f4.jpg

Some of the smaller animals are just plain cute!!

1814074267_Zoo13.thumb.jpg.0b61c2f3b24f23f3b9b4c5aa016ea841.jpg

Not one of the koala poses I'm used too. 

2075941718_Zoo2.jpg.72477f42a88e841a03cdc56a5b95f894.jpg

343256905_Zoo4.jpg.ea65a4c5ad916dae810101d926ceea47.jpg

877603487_Zoo5.jpg.c2fa2f1e416f8bf62951098fb60076ce.jpg

1965317158_Zoo6.jpg.5371955b767b55887c3ab0db7aa76275.jpg

• Like 20

We were in Sydney mid-week and Bondi beach was busy - at least from our perspective.

481566598_Bondi2.jpg.fc37300cfa8050a8594e7c336c1a3558.jpg

348047850_Bondi1.thumb.jpg.b213287198d4715ce3614c3d9001efce.jpg

A couple of pictures from one of the sites we visited.

767409470_Dunbar2.jpg.db5823ab7dfba0816850753467a2bc84.jpg

1558982203_Dunbar1.thumb.jpg.12f344a34ae537cac9f9f89408ae8b24.jpg

Our ship was at the Circular Quay dock and we had a nice view of the Opera House from our balcony cabin. Although the constant flow of ferries was a little noisy.

1923553892_SydneyFerry.jpg.5489de5ec7a1641acbb6e5a0d8142855.jpg

• Like 19

Good afternoon!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list and extra prayers for @VMax1700DGD and her injury. Ouch!

My DM is happy that we got some financial/banking done today. Afterward we went to Olive Garden and have enough leftovers for a while. She will never take them because since she moved into her retirement residence she has refused to cook or even reheat anything. 

Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish. I use this one https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/pork-carnitas-recipe-1925103 

because it works for Carnitas or pulled pork barbecue. Also, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser your recipe looks interesting and I think I’d like the vinegar-y sauce. 

I’m enjoying all the pictures of Sydney. Maybe someday. 

Have a great afternoon!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

That is absolutely fantastic 👍 Good for you on your hard work!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish. I use this one https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/pork-carnitas-recipe-1925103 

because it works for Carnitas or pulled pork barbecue. Also, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser your recipe looks interesting and I think I’d like the vinegar-y sauce. 

I did see that one and almost used it.  I figured I had a couple and people have their favorites.  I'm with you on liking the vinegar sauce.  I make a recipe I call "vinegar fish".   You cook it and then store it in a vinegar marinade.  It is eaten at room temperature.   It is an old Spanish recipe from back before the days of refrigeration.  The vinegar helped preserve the fish.  

Congrats to you and @aliaschiefon your upsells.  We're going to get used to these and when the ships start sailing at full capacity we'll be disappointed when we don't get them. 

@StLouisCruisers I hope you are feeling better soon.  

@cat shepard Congrats on graduating from PT.  It has been a long haul, hasn't it?

@VMax1700Sorry to hear about DGD's broken collar bone.   I hope it heals quickly.   

If the pool was the cause of my eye irritation, it is no longer.  No burning eyes today.   Must have been allergies of another sort.  I did check the allergy tracker and it was pretty much the same if I had burning eyes or if I didn't.  However, it seems to be gone, so I'll just rejoice.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

I did see that one and almost used it.  I figured I had a couple and people have their favorites.  I'm with you on liking the vinegar sauce.  I make a recipe I call "vinegar fish".   You cook it and then store it in a vinegar marinade.  It is eaten at room temperature.   It is an old Spanish recipe from back before the days of refrigeration.  The vinegar helped preserve the fish.  

Congrats to you and @aliaschiefon your upsells.  We're going to get used to these and when the ships start sailing at full capacity we'll be disappointed when we don't get them. 

@StLouisCruisers I hope you are feeling better soon.  

@cat shepard Congrats on graduating from PT.  It has been a long haul, hasn't it?

@VMax1700Sorry to hear about DGD's broken collar bone.   I hope it heals quickly.   

If the pool was the cause of my eye irritation, it is no longer.  No burning eyes today.   Must have been allergies of another sort.  I did check the allergy tracker and it was pretty much the same if I had burning eyes or if I didn't.  However, it seems to be gone, so I'll just rejoice.

Deb, whenever you get around to it, do please post the vinegar fish recipe.  That sounds so intriguing.  Probably not up everyone's alley, but this girl loves pickled herring and stuff like that, and yours sounds like a great one.  

• Like 10

Well finally I can post!  I guess it was my turn for the  gremlins!  
congratulations on the Upsell’s!   Sounds wonderful! 
@VMax1700 sorry about your grandchild’s collarbone!  

Ancestry, family and world travel are all ones I’d like to support.   DH has done some research and we’ve visited a few places that our family is from.  It makes it fun.  

A few photos from Switzerland where my great grandmother was born.  

I too have Irish background but haven’t been able to learn more than what county.   

The last two are from Wrest Park,  England  a place that an ancestor of DH bought from the Earl de Grey.  

4E9E281F-B472-4855-AF95-271F211F80BE.jpeg

CB269D46-6C5E-4117-95C0-C59B872A9100.jpeg

68FBEFFE-1895-4291-B4DA-AC6805CFD832.jpeg

FFCF8B1F-1DD2-43DC-98E8-A28A8709555F.jpeg

5A728AFE-EA2B-4EE7-B9B4-89FC20465344.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Deb, whenever you get around to it, do please post the vinegar fish recipe.  That sounds so intriguing.  Probably not up everyone's alley, but this girl loves pickled herring and stuff like that, and yours sounds like a great one.  

Ditto.  You are not alone 🙂 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, dfish said:

Sounds like an escabeche - I’ve only seen them with lemons / limes. But that fish isn’t cooked - it cooks in the marinade.   This sounds intriguing.

so glad the pool didn’t cause eye issues today 👍 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Can you handle amounts in the metric system?   I keep converting and forgetting to write down the conversions.   

• Like 5

Just now, kazu said:

Sounds like an escabeche - I’ve only seen them with lemons / limes. But that fish isn’t cooked - it cooks in the marinade.   This sounds intriguing.

It is an escabeche, but the fish is cooked first.  It calls for frying it, but I usually bake it.  Trying to save calories.

• Like 5