water Kettle in Room

jfaaborg

9 minutes ago, jfaaborg said:

I would like to bring my own water kettle. Does anyone know from experience if the power in the room has enough current to support one? 

Clearly listed in Carnival list of prohibited items. See FAQ on what to pack. Items may be discarded by security.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The electrical outlet in the cabin is a regular 110 volt like you have at home. Should be quite capable to heat up your kettle. However, I would check Carnival's list of items that are not allowed to be brought on board before bringing it. I think most items with a heating coil are prohibited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nlktx49 said:

The electrical outlet in the cabin is a regular 110 volt like you have at home. Should be quite capable to heat up your kettle. However, I would check Carnival's list of items that are not allowed to be brought on board before bringing it. I think most items with a heating coil are prohibited.

Couple of limiting factors about using a kettle onboard the ship that is different from at home (aside from the fact that Carnival bans them).  Your kitchen outlets at home are rated 20 amps, and are dedicated to kitchen outlets only (so you know what all is running on the circuit).  The ship's outlets are rated 15 amps (more like your living room or bedroom circuit), and is shared with two other cabins.  So, while one kettle may not overload the circuit, it is a high current draw for a 15 amp circuit, and if the cabin next to you fires up a hair dryer, it will probably pop the breaker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, jfaaborg said:

French press

I think that point was that if you don't like the ship's water, what water were you going to use.

Just to reiterate, you cannot have a water kettle.  Hot water is available 24/7.  Unfortunately, it is ship's water.  

7 minutes ago, jfaaborg said:

French press

French press is absolutely the messiest way to make coffee on the ship.   Cleanup is a real pain.

If you  bring a single cup melitta type filter cone  and  filters and then slow pour over grounds, yo'ullget a perfectly respectable cuppa joe.  But nothing wrong with ship water other than it's distilled vs just filtered.   

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

French press is absolutely the messiest way to make coffee on the ship.   Cleanup is a real pain.

If you  bring a single cup melitta type filter cone  and  filters and then slow pour over grounds, yo'ullget a perfectly respectable cuppa joe.  But nothing wrong with ship water other than it's distilled vs just filtered.   

Thankx, didn't think much of clean up.  a pour over was my 2nd option. 

1 hour ago, jfaaborg said:

Thankx, didn't think much of clean up.  a pour over was my 2nd option. 

I have seen FPs on board ships being used , so people do bring  them.  But you just can't shake out the grounds into the trash and wash out the cylinder without potentially clogging your bathroom drain.

40 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I have seen FPs on board ships being used , so people do bring  them.  But you just can't shake out the grounds into the trash and wash out the cylinder without potentially clogging your bathroom drain.

Besides, the cabin steward has to hand sort all your trash, so the soggy mass of grounds makes their job that much worse, and washing grounds down the sink will affect the waste water treatment plant, as will flushing grounds down the toilet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Now I'll have to rethink packing my George Foreman Grill and my waffle maker.  😞

No Problem - You can probably just take your portable gas grill and use it on the balcony...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RGEDad said:

No Problem - You can probably just take your portable gas grill and use it on the balcony...

Since we're doing obvious sarcasm I'll add this correction... 

"You can probably just take your portable gas grill and use it on [your neighbor's] balcony." 

🤣

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, ColeThornton said:

Interesting.  Now I'll have to rethink packing my George Foreman Grill and my waffle maker.  😞

Guess I should not plan on bringing my gas grill for the balcony either.