Dear Princess: With 30 days before we sail, I am done trying to use your Medallion App.

CineGraphic

How many times must one try to input their credit card info into your app before it's accepted?

I've probably entered my credit card (a Princess Visa no less) over 60 times with no luck.

My wife is shown as an authorized user, but it still says I need to enter my card, even though it shows as being the default card.

I've deleted the card, and deleted the app several times as well. Nothing works.

Emails and phone calls bring zero results despite promises.

Even an email sent 3 weeks ago to Collin Steinke, head of guest relations has gone unanswered.

My days of being a vocal supporter, and cheerleader for Princess are over.

How much time must we waste on an app that used to work just fine?

All I want is to be able to walk onto the ship with no delay, just as advertised.

Getting ready for a cruise is supposed to be an exciting time, not a pain in the ass.

It's time to get your act together. ("act" is the nicest word I can use here)

More ships start sailing soon, which means more guests, and more problems, so If you don't already have teams working on fixing the numerous bugs 24/7, you are simply not doing enough. This is no way to treat loyal customers, or even new customers for that matter.

When I see new cruisers say, "never again" right here on Cruise Critic, before they've even sailed, you know it's bad.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I stood in line in the Green Lane watching Blue & Yellow get through before me. Yeah, hoping for Blue Line in December & next April. 

FWIW you've been on a medallion cruise so your no stranger to that technology. Different app, same principle 

Edited by Ombud

Therein lies the rub, Dog.  It’s especially frustrating to hear reports like yours.  (Though I’m glad you have had no problems. 😊)  Princess can not give an explanation or fix for why it works for some and not others or why it works well initially and not later.  I agree wholeheartedly CineGraphic. In this day and age there is no excuse for an app to be such a consistent failure FROM THE BEGINNING!  The pandemic shutdown would have been a perfect opportunity to double down and fix the problems once and for all.  Most people, regardless of age, who use electronic devices daily are pretty tech savvy with apps.  This is not user error problem.  I join the chorus of people here on tug who lament the loss of directly using the website to prepare for a cruise. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

Therein lies the rub, Dog.  It’s especially frustrating to hear reports like yours.  (Though I’m glad you have had no problems. 😊)  Princess can not give an explanation or fix for why it works for some and not others or why it works well initially and not later.  I agree wholeheartedly CineGraphic. In this day and age there is no excuse for an app to be such a consistent failure FROM THE BEGINNING!  The pandemic shutdown would have been a perfect opportunity to double down and fix the problems once and for all.  Most people, regardless of age, who use electronic devices daily are pretty tech savvy with apps.  This is not user error problem.  I join the chorus of people here on tug who lament the loss of directly using the website to prepare for a cruise. 

35 minutes ago, dog said:

So very sorry to see the trouble you had.

We both were fortunate & quite quickly  had everything working on 2 different types of devices. 

I share the same concern for you. I truly hope you get your problems solved 

NO RUB was intended on my part 

Edited by dog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

How many times must one try to input their credit card info into your app before it's accepted?

I've probably entered my credit card (a Princess Visa no less) over 60 times with no luck.

My wife is shown as an authorized user, but it still says I need to enter my card, even though it shows as being the default card.

I've deleted the card, and deleted the app several times as well. Nothing works.

Even an email sent 3 weeks ago to Collin Steinke, head of guest relations has gone unanswered.

All I want is to be able to walk onto the ship with no delay, just as advertised.

Getting ready for a cruise is supposed to be an exciting time, not a pain in the ass.

More ships start sailing soon, which means more guests, and more problems, so If you don't already have teams working on fixing the numerous bugs 24/7, you are simply not doing enough. This is no way to treat loyal customers, or even new customers for that matter.

When I see new cruisers say, "never again" right here on Cruise Critic, before they've even sailed, you know it's bad.

You should try an experiment, especially since it shows your wife as an authorized user.  Maybe it's there and just isn't showing or registering.  Get on DMW and try to book a Specialized Restaurant.  When you go to pay, the card should show up if it's on file.  (Don't need to charge, just to see if it shows up.). Just an idea..  

In August, I kept trying to enter the card for my husband and didn't realize that since I entered the card first in my account, I was the authorized holder of the card.  He was added to my account in what seemed to be automatic, but maybe I chose some setting and didn't realize it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Have you sent this to the executives at Princess Cruise Lines?

Just now, CineGraphic said:

I sent an email to Collin Steinke, head of guest relations, three weeks ago.

Try higher up on the totem pole. I suspect there are a bunch of yes people just below Jan S. not telling her what is actually going on with the app.

Besides obvious bugs with the constant reloading it seems that it was not designed for usability nor had any usability testing done on it.

I would even wager that there was no story boarding done before writing code. There is incorrect use of terminology all over the place. I found a place where they mix up arrival and departure. In fact that place should use the terms embarkation and disembarkation. There are items shown which should only be shown post full payment but are show anyhow but of no use. The people developing it obviously have no sense of shame.

• Like 1

I'm experiencing frustration as well.  We leave in 9 days and as of yesterday I was in the green.  Now I'm yellow and it's asking for me to choose my medallion.  That's all fine and dandy, except I already received my medallion in the mail (arrived 2 days ago).

I clicked on the "medallion" portion and now all I have is a white screen.

Frustrating isn't the word for it.

It won't load the dining either.....argh

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

It's just so sad to read these posts.  I know what you mean and cannot blame you.  I am upset that they have not made better progress on fixing issues.

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I stood in line in the Green Lane watching Blue & Yellow get through before me. Yeah, hoping for Blue Line in December & next April. 

FWIW you've been on a medallion cruise so your no stranger to that technology. Different app, same principle 

I'd be PO'd if Blue and Yellow lanes were getting on board and grabbing up the Sanctuary chairs on a Caribbean cruise.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Mr Steinke is an exec - he is the top dog at Customer Relations.

He is not a senior executive. Customer Relations in most orgs are not even considered revenue generators so are given low standing.

50 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I sent an email to Collin Steinke, head of guest relations, three weeks ago.

Right.  And I wrote way back to him and other top execs and he was the one they elected to get back to me.  I even had a couple of live conversations with him.  My writing got some attention at Princess HQ.  But the response level has declined quite significantly recently.  I think it is time for me to rattle the chains again. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

He is not a senior executive. Customer Relations in most orgs are not even considered revenue generators so are given low standing.

You are right - he is not C-Level.  But he "owns" that area at HQ.  IDK their reporting structure.  Does anyone?  Such as who does he report to?

I feel everyone's frustration. I just booked another cruise for November 24th on the Regal 2 hours ago. We have another cruise booked on November 30th, Enchanted Princess that we booked 8 months ago. 

Everything on the Princess app for Enchanted was great. When I signed into the app this afternoon, it shows both of our cruises are booked on the Regal. Looks like I will be on the phone tomorrow for a while?

Edited by eagletwo

32 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We currently have six sailings booked. Only one of them recognizes my credit card and has me in the "green lane". Even though I used the same info for all six bookings, it only works with one of them.

That's so weird.  After our Alaska cruise on the Majestic, I started working on our Mexico Riviera cruise on the Majestic.  Our credit card info, our pictures & our info was already there.  I only had to confirm the passport numbers they already had, and we were in the green lane after I ordered the Medallions.  I would think that if one of your sailings has your credit card info that they all would have it based on what happened for us!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

That's so weird.  After our Alaska cruise on the Majestic, I started working on our Mexico Riviera cruise on the Majestic.  Our credit card info, our pictures & our info was already there.  I only had to confirm the passport numbers they already had, and we were in the green lane after I ordered the Medallions.  I would think that if one of your sailings has your credit card info that they all would have it based on what happened for us!

This is exactly the same for my bookings. It took a few extra days for all. The information to fill in for my second cruise but it did automatically I left it alone and it self corrected and filled in everything. 

• Like 1

I have ceased to worry about the wonky app.  To me it's a cost-benefit thing.  How much of my time (cost) am I willing to spend to get the app to work (benefit)

On my most recent cruise, I never could get the app to work, so I quit wasting my time and just showed up at the pier with my paper confirmation and was checked in and issued a medallion there.  After that I used the medallion like the old fashioned sea pass and never needed the app on board.

The whole medallion thing is a classic case of what happens when you let the whiz bang kids sit at the big table.

• Like 9