Is YC always Forward?

MonsterJoe

Last week was our first cruise, and it was amazing....except for one thing.

My wife learned that she gets seasick.  Particularly at night while trying to sleep.  During the day she would recover mostly, and be in good shape through dinner into late night - but every overnight/morning she would suffer.

Now, as I understand it - the highest and most forward decks of the ship always experience the most "motion in the ocean" 😉 ,  but at least on the Mera, this is where the whole of the YC is contained.  

Is this true for all the ships?

We're willing to try a shorter itinerary, mid-ship on a lower deck to see if that helps, but it sure would be a bummer to miss out on the YC.

Edited by MonsterJoe

4 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Is this true for all the ships?

Beamafar's reply is accurate with one slight exception.  The YC Restaurant on Divina is near the aft part of the ship, but, it is also on an upper deck.  

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Unfortunately for your wife the answer is Yes.  YC is situated in the same area on all ships that have it.   

4 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

....Now, as I understand it - the highest and most forward decks of the ship always experience the most "motion in the ocean" 😉 ,  but at least on the Mera, this is where the whole of the YC is contained.  

Is this true for all the ships?....

Yep, with the exception of the restaurant on Divina and Preziosa. All the new ships, and new builds planned have the complete YC enclave in the forward high locations, but this has never been a problem on any of our YC cruises.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Beamafar's reply is accurate with one slight exception.  The YC Restaurant on Divina is near the aft part of the ship, but, it is also on an upper deck.  

Very true!   Fantasia-class ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Divina and Preziosa) have the YC restaurant aft on deck 15, with the windows overlooking the pool and sun beds area - the view is somewhat unpalatable when supposedly dining in grandeur. 😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Fantasia-class ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Divina and Preziosa) have the YC restaurant aft on deck 15, with the windows overlooking the pool and sun beds area - the view is somewhat unpalatable when supposedly dining in grandeur. 😁😁

Indeed, although I didn't realise Fantasia and Splendida had YC, we certainly saw some awesome sights appearing through those windows during our lunches in the Preziosa YC restaurant.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

If someone is prone to seasickness, picking a particular part of the ship will help a little. But you’ll get much more relief from one of the many drugs out there. Personally, I’m a huge fan of meclizine. 

Second that.

We start taking 1 at night a week before cruising. Continue when on board.

Since it can cause drowsiness, evening is best. Mixing with alcohol should be moderated.  Available OTC for about $4.00 at big box pharmacy.

12.5 or 25 mg / 100 count   1-2 tablets daily.
We cruise to Alaska every year and this is the thing that works on those rough sea days, especially when doing outside passage.

59 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

If someone is prone to seasickness, picking a particular part of the ship will help a little. But you’ll get much more relief from one of the many drugs out there. Personally, I’m a huge fan of meclizine. 

40 minutes ago, phissy said:

Second that.

We start taking 1 at night a week before cruising. Continue when on board.

Since it can cause drowsiness, evening is best. Mixing with alcohol should be moderated.  Available OTC for about $4.00 at big box pharmacy.

12.5 or 25 mg / 100 count   1-2 tablets daily.
We cruise to Alaska every year and this is the thing that works on those rough sea days, especially when doing outside passage.

She took the non-drowzy dramamine, the regular dramamine, and those pressure bands.

Is that better?  She's really willing to try anything that will work, because other than that, she loved the experience.

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

I always take it starting the day before we cruise, then at bedtime every day. I don't even know if I need it. Legend has it that I got very seasick once on our way to Mackanac Island when I was a young child.

• Like 1

She took the non-drowsy dramamine, the regular dramamine, and the pressure bracelets.

She's open to using whatever works, but we didn't know it was going to be an issue, so didn't bring an arsenal.

Is there a common consensus about what works the absolute best? Or is more of a subjective experience?

I always have some Meclizine with me, but have not had to use it.  My YC Suite was on deck 15 on Meraviglia.  No question that there was more motion noticed during my Caribbean cruise.  But, it was only at times.  Bothersome to me?  No.  Noticeable?  Yes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

She took the non-drowsy dramamine, the regular dramamine, and the pressure bracelets.

She's open to using whatever works, but we didn't know it was going to be an issue, so didn't bring an arsenal.

Is there a common consensus about what works the absolute best? Or is more of a subjective experience?

I take Bonine. If the Dramamine and a bracelet didn't work, maybe she should try the patch. I've never used one, but I've seen plenty of cruisers wearing them.

How much movement was there?  We were the week prior and Mera being a large ship plus calm seas never felt anything.  I'd be more concerned about risk of a future trip with some real seas as escalation in seas has major impact on people.

Our DS usually doesn't feel well in rough seas.  Bands don't work for him.  Various pills do.  Butlers have brought green apples.  The other thing that we take based on reports is ginger candy.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

How much movement was there?  We were the week prior and Mera being a large ship plus calm seas never felt anything.  I'd be more concerned about risk of a future trip with some real seas as escalation in seas has major impact on people.

Our DS usually doesn't feel well in rough seas.  Bands don't work for him.  Various pills do.  Butlers have brought green apples.  The other thing that we take based on reports is ginger candy.

Even though I was fine, I'd say it was very noticeable while in our cabin and we could watch things swaying constantly on our ceiling hooks.

We'd be concerned about it being worse also - that's why we'll probably try a 3 day in the middle of the ship to see if that helps.

One of our YC servers brought her green apples with salt one time after dinner. 🙂

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

One of our YC servers brought her green apples with salt one time after dinner. 🙂

Green apples, saltine crackers, and ginger sometimes help those with a touch of mal de mer.  My traveling companion has some issues when the seas really become a bit bumpy.  Green apples and saltines help her.  

Meclizine is less drowsy Dramamine. (Also called antivert if you can get a prescription). The best out there I think is scopolamine patch. You wear it behind your ear and change it every 72 hours. No drowsiness. I used it but one time it blurred my vision badly enough someone had to read the memes to me. The last time I got seasick (landsick) for 7 days after the cruise when I removed them. My house kept rocking lol. Now I do non drowsy Dramamine during the day and Dramamine at night. Seems to help leaving consistent levels in my body and no problems with vision or land sickness. 

22 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

I think motion sickness relief can be rather subjective. I have tried all of the remedies mentioned…some work, others not so much. I get drowsy even from the “non-drowsy” meds but I keep some in my purse or pocket at all times when cruising. Patches made me dizzy so I haven’t tried them again. Wrist bands had a marginal effect but they have to remain on the exact pressure point and be tight enough to press it.

What has helped me the most is an electronic wrist band called ReliefBand. It sits on that wrist pressure point but the band only needs to be snug enough to keep it in place. The current level is adjustable so higher when you need it and very low (or off) when you’re fine. I have the one that looks like a fitness tracker so it looks acceptable in formal wear but there are 2 other versions.

I want to stay ahead of motion sickness so having chewable pills as back-up to the ReliefBand works for me. And if I think I might want the medicine, I’ll often break the tablet into pieces and only take 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2. Having peppermints, like a few Altoids, is also helpful to me as it’s distracting from the motion. 

LOL - you have just made a discovery that have had some of us sniggering for years.

High and forward on a ship has always been an undesirable location due to the motion and wind when the ship is underway.

As a result, that location on ships has in the past been under utilized  open deck space or used for bridge crew cabins.

Some marketing genius at a cruise line came up with the solution of making that undesirable space a ship within a ship space of "luxury" accommodations and service. And the gullible bought into the concept and paid a premium to experience the motion (no wind because high barricades were erected around the area).

MSC is not the only one to sell the undesirable location as a premium exclusive enclave. NCL and others also do the same.

One solution is to try a cruise line that gives the level (or exceeds it) of the Yacht Club to all passengers throughout the entire ship. One can book a cabin that is lower down and amidships for a more comfortable ride.

Just imagine - no more being in a pricey  ghetto  and being free to roam at will for the same high level of service and quality of the experience. 

Look at Azamara, Viking Ocean, Oceania and other small ship lines.

57 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

....try a cruise line that gives the level (or exceeds it) of the Yacht Club to all passengers throughout the entire ship. One can book a cabin that is lower down and amidships for a more comfortable ride.

Just imagine - no more being in a pricey  ghetto  and being free to roam at will for the same high level of service and quality of the experience. 

Look at Azamara, Viking Ocean, Oceania and other small ship lines.

I cannot yet speak for Viking Ocean or Oceania, but having experienced both Yacht Club and Azamara I disagree that Azamara  exceeds or even gives the the same experience level as Yacht Club. To give one example, the MDR food in Azamara does not come close to the YC level and it's pricing is broadly similar to YC....incidentally one is free to roam at will throughout the whole ship, whether in YC or not! 😉

If there is one cruiseline that does exceed the level of Yacht Club in our experience, throughout the entire ship, at broadly the same price point it's Crystal.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

High and forward on a ship has always been an undesirable location due to the motion and wind when the ship is underway.

As a result, that location on ships has in the past been under utilized  open deck space or used for bridge crew cabins.

Some marketing genius at a cruise line came up with the solution of making that undesirable space a ship within a ship space of "luxury" accommodations and service. And the gullible bought into the concept and paid a premium to experience the motion (no wind because high barricades were erected around the area).

An old cliche, but very true for all cruise lines whose very premium accommodations are at the top of the vessel.  The more you pay, the more you sway.

That's OK if one realizes that.  And accepts that possibility.   But, some don't before they book and can become anti-cruisers as a result of the natural "ocean will be in motion".  And, when King Neptune is having a very bad day, the "ocean will be in motion" much more than usual at times.