Where to find current Caribbean port restrictions

RoperDK

I looked at the ports of call forum, CDC website, and asked Google.  I see recommendations and old info from a month ago.  Where can I find what is currently required for these ports.  I'm particularly interested in if masking is required outdoors.  

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

The US Embassy Barbados, which covers the entire eastern Caribbean, has an informative website that includes Covid information for those islands:  https://bb.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Good Lord! Almost every port is Level 4!

Are cruises still sailing there?

I think you would have to check the government website for each country that you are visiting.   There is not going to be a complete list on one place, unless someone has compiled it and is keeping it current.  

Each country has their own requirements, which they change as needed, for entry for tourists and for daily activities.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Good Lord! Almost every port is Level 4!

Are cruises still sailing there?

In almost every case, yes.  I haven't heard of a port in a long time that has gotten so "hot" with COVID-19 cases that it's been skipped by the cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

We travel frequently to the Caribbean on land based vacations.  I go to each island's government website to get the most currently information.  At this time, everyone is requiring masking and pre-COVID testing, some have entry forms you have to fill out, and some require vaccination.  We have a holiday planned for Grenada in December we have to:  pre-pay for COVID testing to be preformed when we get there, show proof of negative COVID test, show proof of vaccination, complete a form (per person) for the Mininstry of Health and get approved for travel.  Once there, we get tested and are quarantined until the results come in, we will be restricted to our resort for 5 days, tested again, and then, if passed, can go on a "bubble" land tour.  I think Grenada has the strictest rules right now, but other islands are similar.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunset329 said:

It looks like all Caribbean islands are Level 4 and requiring vaccinations and masks. Are cruisers allowed to visit ports independently, or must they take the Princess excursions? 

Princess doesn't start Caribbean cruises until mid November.  I haven't seen any threads concerning itinerary changes yet (and I'm watching because we have our first post-Covid cruise on the Enchanted in mid March). 

There is no simple answer as port policies can quickly change with little or no notice.  And there are other issues.  For example, the Seabourn Odyssey has been doing 7 day cruises out of Barbados since July.  As part of their deal to use Barbados as their base, they have agreed to only allow "Bubble tours" at any of their ports.  So, in this case knowing the rules of a specific port would not even be relevant.  Since cruises are generally booked weeks or months in advance it is impossible to know what will happen when you actually take that cruise.  That is one reason why we (and many others) decided to cruise in Greece this past summer because we knew the Greek government had a very pro tourist/cruise policy.  I do not think there is another country in the world that has been as friendly to cruise ships as Greece.

Hank

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Princess doesn't start Caribbean cruises until mid November.  I haven't seen any threads concerning itinerary changes yet (and I'm watching because we have our first post-Covid cruise on the Enchanted in mid March). 

We're on Enchanted mid-November; one change so far, from Grand Turk to Nassau. 

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Princess doesn't start Caribbean cruises until mid November. 

The Emerald leaves San Pedro on 10/15 and makes stops at each of the ABC islands. 

We, too, are wondering if all tours will be bubble tours or if we will be free to just wander around. The fact that all are Level 4 is interesting but doesn't answer the bubble tour question. 

12 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

In almost every case, yes.  I haven't heard of a port in a long time that has gotten so "hot" with COVID-19 cases that it's been skipped by the cruise lines.

I suggest following the Celebrity forum. Their cruises have been like a roulette wheel of islands being canceled, substituted for different ones, skipped altogether, or changing their requirements for arriving passengers on cruise ships (anything from tests required within a certain time before arrival, masks required, strict curfew hours, ship tours only, etc.).

Anyone selecting a Caribbean cruise for the next few months should not kid themselves that the itinerary delivered will resemble the one booked.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Anyone selecting a Caribbean cruise for the next few months should not kid themselves that the itinerary delivered will resemble the one booked.

Agreed! We have a November cruise booked and it will be interesting to see where we end up. Maybe 5 days at Half Moon Cay?😄 Or it could end up as a week in Florida at my mom's house if either of us test positive before the cruise.

No matter what, my mom and I are going to enjoy our week together, wherever that may be!

• Like 2

The level 4 designation made by the US government has no bearing on the answer to this question. The levels are made for US citizens to make a decision whether or not to visit a particular country before they leave home!

Once you travel to another country, you will abide by the rules set by THAT country. The best place to find out their rules in in that country’s specific website.

And as has been mentioned, any individual cruiseline may make a separate arrangement with a country. 

If the ship’s shore excursions are refundable and you don’t know whether it’s bubble excursions or not, book one at every stop, and then cancel within the time frame if you can do the stop independently.

As with any country regulations the best and most accurate information is to go to the individual countrys' tourism or immigration websites. The Caribbean is not one country so there is not going to be an official information portal for every port in the Caribbean Sea on one site. There are no shortcuts you just have to go through the tedious process of checking each country whose port you are planning or expecting to visit and check again regularly as you near your visit in case any changes have occured.

I have a TA with Costa in December sailing from Barcelona to Guadeloupe, including a stop in Martinique. The authorities last week closed both Guadeloupe and Martinique ports to cruise ships until the middle of January. Costa have said nothing yet and are still selling this cruise on their website. 

Cruises: "There will be no season in the West Indies this winter" (tourmag.com)