Affordable hotel in Fort Lauderdale ?

monsieurlouis

On 10/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, gizbug said:

Hilton Marina, stay there a few times a month for work. Good location and close to the port (can see the ships from your hotel window)

I believe they now charge a “resort fee”, even though it is not a resort at all. I am a Diamond Hilton Honors member and this is a deal breaker for me even though I like the location and some of the types of rooms/suites. If staying here check. I believe it is $25 additional per night.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, bubbadogmom said:

Anyone stay at Hyatt Centric Las Olas Fort Lauderdale? I traditionally book only where there is an airport and cruise shuttle but I noticed many people saying the port etc is so close that a taxi /Uber is cheap and should not dictate my hotel choice.

Take this for what it is worth. I have not stayed at that Hyatt Centric, but Hyatt Centric and Hyatt House are my of two favorite Hyatt brands now, even over Hyatt Regency's. I have yet to stay in a bad Centric or Hyatt House.

I also agree with your thinking on shuttles. Cabs and Ubers are cheap enough that I'd never choose a hotel based on whether or not it had a free shuttle.

• Like 1

I was able to book the Hyatt House using points I never even realized I had (okay I needed to 'up' the points a bit and just had to pay $25 to do so) - great bargain!  LOL

....and for my post cruise hotel I also discovered some Marriott points - did a better upgrade there for nicer hotel (costing me $130 in additional points) and booked Le Meridien at the airport (based on their pool pictures LOL).  Hoping to sit by the pool on my last day in Florida and soak up as much sun as possible before heading back to cold Canada! (and lots of nice restaurants in the area as well and airport shuttle too!).

Edited by Froufie

General comment for the benefit of my fellow Canadians. High season around the 17th street area can see VERY high prices given our exchange rate. We tend to stay away from that area during those times and move slightly farther afield to one of two other good areas, with lots of hotels to choose from as well as restaurants and shopping. The first is the Dania Beach area, just south of FLL, a bit farther than 17th street from the port but usually much cheaper. We'll be staying in Dania Beach this Feb. as the 17th Street strip prices were stratospheric. Even consistently cheaper, but much farther away, though we've used it in a pinch, is Plantation, again with with lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping.  Farther away but the savings can be substantial. IIRC at least one hotel in Plantation has both airport pickup and cruise port shuttles.

11 hours ago, lx200gps said:

IIRC at least one hotel in Plantation has both airport pickup and cruise port shuttles.

Pre-covid the transportation options at the Halmpton Inn Plantation were mentioned frequently.  I would check their website and call them if it isn't clear whether they still offer the airport and port shuttles.

We love the Sleep Inn in Dania, Fl.  It has free FLL airport transportation.

The location is perfect for us.  There is a Walgreens across the parking lot.  Directly across a small side street is.a Dollar Tree, inexpensive but excellent Chinese restaurant, and a Walmart food store.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:27 PM, cwtravel said:

I believe they now charge a “resort fee”, even though it is not a resort at all. I am a Diamond Hilton Honors member and this is a deal breaker for me even though I like the location and some of the types of rooms/suites. If staying here check. I believe it is $25 additional per night.

I already had reservations at Embassy Suite for my December Cruise. Had not made reservations for my next FLL cruise day before stay - but was planning on the Hilton Marina. I did not know they have a "Resort Fee". I really detest Resort Fees - It is just a means of hiding true hotel costs. Now that I know they have "Resort Fees" I will certainly reconsider other Hotel options.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:03 AM, crusinthrough said:

I haven't stayed but I booked this hotel for a cruise early next year.  From the website it looks nice and there are plenty of restaurants on Las Olas Blvd.  I haven't found much information on here about the hotel.  I'll report back.  

I looked at that but stayed with my favourite Riverside on Las Olas. Love that area of town. It’s about $275pn and I booked about 8 months ago! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

I looked at that but stayed with my favourite Riverside on Las Olas. Love that area of town. It’s about $275pn and I booked about 8 months ago! 

Hi, when are you staying there? Guess I got really lucky.......I am staying there next month and got a room for less than 200.00🙂

On 11/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, little britain said:

I have a read a few posts on the Riverside Hotel.  It looks nice.  I stick to chain hotels because of the loyalty programs.  

On 10/15/2021 at 6:39 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Yep, asked a million times, and frequently without defining what "affordable" means.

It is very commonly discussed here not to focus on shuttles, as taxis and Uber/Lyft are plentiful and pretty inexpensive.

We were in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago and were told Uber and Lyft were not allowed to enter port area now. 

1 hour ago, lynncarol said:

We were in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago and were told Uber and Lyft were not allowed to enter port area now. 

Who told you that?  I haven’t seen anything in the local press about that and believe me it would be news.  It took months and months IIRC a number of years ago for Uber and Lyft to come to agreement with the port and Broward County.

4 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Curious who told you that? It has been a controversial topic for a number of years prior to Covid, but last I heard Uber/Lyft was allowed in.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:37 AM, thon said:

We have stayed at the Rodeway Inn & Suites airport/cruise port a number of times. Both pre-cruise and a day room post-cruise when we had a late flight home.  Not the fanciest place but we’ve never had any concerns there.  Will probably stay there again pre-cruise in late March.  Breakfast is included and there is a restaurant attached to the hotel that often has live music.  Our flight usually arrives in early evening and if we need food the restaurant has been fine for us.  We don’t need anything fancy.  There is a free airport and port shuttle.  Obviously a favourite of cruisers as the both the lobby and breakfast room are busy, busy during cruise season.

Do you remember if there is anything around Rodeway Inn. CVX or Walgreens, Publix or WM?

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks