Now this is a World Cruise

cwtravel

5 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

It also appears that higher level members in the Crown and Anchor  program  get some included  excursions.

Adding the beverage  package  as part of the fare does mean that the diamond  and above member benefit  of daily free drinks (4-6 depending on level) is no longer a benefit. But I  can see how this would make things easier for the staff.

All in all an interesting  concept  at this time. Not booking yet, but the first  segment  looks interesting. I had planned  the HAL South America  for Jan this year, but of course  that was canceled. I  still have hope I'll  get to sail it eventually.

Not so much higher.  Anyone Platinum or above get the 7 major excursions and that level only requires 30 points.

I do think this will sell very well.  The ship isn't huge by today's standards.  It's my understanding HAL won't even have anything smaller than Vista class in Europe in 2023.  It's the way of the world now.

And the segments are composed of very popular and familiar itineraries.  And... RCI really knows how to market.  They make it sound "easy."

If I tell DH that platinum gets those excursions, he might make me go.  But then there would be all that jello parfait to eat for dessert.  🤦‍♀️

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cccole said:

The maximum passengers on the HAL Zuiderdam and the RCI Serenade of the Seas seems to vary by website, on some the difference is 120 passengers and others 300+passengers.  But as others have said there will be a lot of tendering with both World Cruises.  Cherie

I got the passenger load straight form the RCI website for this ship.  I think it should be accurate - at least, I hope so 😉 

19 minutes ago, whogo said:

Marketing Cochin as the port for the Taj Mahal is like marketing Ft. Lauderdale as the port for Yellowstone National Park.

You nailed it beautifully 👍 

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

I got the passenger load straight form the RCI website for this ship.  I think it should be accurate - at least, I hope so 😉 

You nailed it beautifully 👍 

You're so right.  The driving distance from Mumbai (the HAL port) to the Taj Mahal is 20 hours and the driving distance from Cochin is 36 hours.  I wonder how many HAL passengers drive 20 hours to see the Taj Mahal.  I think I have enjoyed several WC reports about their travels to the Taj Mahal, always amazing!!!  Cherie

42 minutes ago, cccole said:

You're so right.  The driving distance from Mumbai (the HAL port) to the Taj Mahal is 20 hours and the driving distance from Cochin is 36 hours.  I wonder how many HAL passengers drive 20 hours to see the Taj Mahal.  I think I have enjoyed several WC reports about their travels to the Taj Mahal, always amazing!!!  Cherie

The Taj Mahal is one of the included tours so I would expect as with Machu Picchu it will be a charter flight from the port and back.

8 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Lots of tendering..with 2500 pax

In going through the ports most can dock a ship of that size.  The locations where tendering will be required (not many) are pretty much those where all the ships tender if they want to stop there such as Port Stanley  or Lahaina.  Look to be only a couple each segment.  

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Marketing Cochin as the port for the Taj Mahal is like marketing Ft. Lauderdale as the port for Yellowstone National Park.

We did the Taj Mahal on a fairly modest cruise line once - got off the ship in Goa flew to New Delhi - train to Agra and flew back to Mumbai to pick up the ship again - included two overnights and flights, trains etc and as I recall it was well over $1000-2000 each.  (?)

The crowds at the Taj Mahal at that time were very heavy so it was very rushed visit with a lot of standing in lines, but if one wants to see the Taj Mahal and will not be coming back, this was the only way to do it. I think India deserves a more in-depth land/train tour - a thoroughly fascinating country to be done with time and care. Had also done a two week land tour earlier - think one needs to take in its vast variety and impacts very slowly. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We did the Taj Mahal on a fairly modest cruise line once - got off the ship in Goa flew to New Delhi - train to Agra and flew back to Mumbai to pick up the ship again - included two overnights and flights, trains etc and as I recall it was well over $1000-2000 each.  (?)

The crowds at the Taj Mahal at that time were very heavy so it was very rushed visit with a lot of standing in lines, but if one wants to see the Taj Mahal and will not be coming back, this was the only way to do it. I think India deserves a more in-depth land/train tour - a thoroughly fascinating country to be done with time and care. Had also done a two week land tour earlier - think one needs to take in its vast variety and impacts very slowly. 

On the 2019 WC we got off the ship in Columbo and flew to New Delhi.  We spent five days covering a lot of ground including both an evening and morning viewing of the Taj. We barely scratched the service in seeing sites as India has so much to see.  We rejoined the ship in Mumbai.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

IIRC I read that the WC includes 50+ ports to which RC has never sailed. That did it for me right there, since onboard experience and expertise with ports are a big part of what makes a trip enjoyable for me.

For the price and the product, I wouldn't expect excellent onboard enrichment, but they could probably work things out in the ports okay, as they can draw on the expertise of their other brands. (Silversea does world cruises.)

Anyhow, this was a fun one to ponder.  It's just so random.  Personally, I don't want to do a world cruise anyway -- preferring segments.  DH does want to, though.

12 hours ago, carolyn22 said:

I also wouldn’t do this particular cruise given that it’s their first world cruise. I don’t want to pay that much money to be their world cruise guinea pig. 

This is a key point for me. Having been on some ships doing itineraries where several port calls are new ones AND where the staff/crew are not experienced with meeting these challenges, it can be a real downer. I've sat in a new port for hours waiting to go ashore because apparently details were not taken care of in advance and the formalities had to be observed. And/or docking positions/berths were not favorable compared with lines that call regularly.

35 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

For the price and the product, I wouldn't expect excellent onboard enrichment, 

But on the bright side you could finally learn how to use the Flowrider. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is a key point for me. Having been on some ships doing itineraries where several port calls are new ones AND where the staff/crew are not experienced with meeting these challenges, it can be a real downer. I've sat in a new port for hours waiting to go ashore because apparently details were not taken care of in advance and the formalities had to be observed. And/or docking positions/berths were not favorable compared with lines that call regularly.

But on the bright side you could finally learn how to use the Flowrider. 

I don't even want to know what a flowrider is, much less how to use one.  But yes, lots of practice time for those who do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nocl said:

In going through the ports most can dock a ship of that size.  The locations where tendering will be required (not many) are pretty much those where all the ships tender if they want to stop there such as Port Stanley  or Lahaina.  Look to be only a couple each segment.  

Unfortunately, you can scratch downtown Shanghai for a ship of that size, as well.  The Westerdam had to dock several miles upstream, while the Amsterdam was esconsed downtown, where we thoroughly enjoyed the evening lights.  I will very much miss that sight should our WC 2024 actually materialize.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Unfortunately, you can scratch downtown Shanghai for a ship of that size, as well.  The Westerdam had to dock several miles upstream, while the Amsterdam was esconsed downtown, where we thoroughly enjoyed the evening lights.  I will very much miss that sight should our WC 2024 actually materialize.  

Oh dear. I was thinking about that segment of the 2024 world cruise but your comment is causing me to rethink whether it wouldn't be better to do it on a smaller ship.

Maybe Fred. Olsen will have a RTW itinerary on Borealis (nee Rotterdam) that is more appetizing at some point in future. Not a big fan of the 2024 one.

23 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

This is going to sound really rude, but truth is they'd have to pay me to get on an RCI ship for a world cruise.  🤯

Our first cruise on Royal was on this ship, to Alaska (2009) and the layout is horrible.  It's version of the Crow's Nest is midship overlooking the midship pool so no magnificent views forward over the bow at all.  Royal is not a good fit for us but even if it were, this is NOT the ship I'd want to be on for this one reason.

• Like 3

Add Istanbul and Malta to the list of magnificent ports at night -or early dawn. Though larger ships are allowed into these berths.  

Shanghai was glorious, so not being able to dock there overnight would be a deal killer if other choices can be made. Bangkok unfortunately only takes much smaller ships today, but is also another city that is glorious from the water at night and seeing the intense river traffic by day. 

Lots of research is necessary today to learn up front where will a ship most likely dock, now due to size or seasonal weather considerations , ship traffic and tides. Gone for the most part are the downtown docks for the smaller ships, where one could just get off and go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I don't even want to know what a flowrider is, much less how to use one.  But yes, lots of practice time for those who do.

Possibly this ship would be good on which to bring children or grandchildren?

We have visited Shanghai docked both far away (2007) and downtown (2012).  Both provided shuttles to the Bund dropoff.  The difference was the length of time on shuttle buses.  The downtown views from the ship were priceless.

Barbara 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Possibly this ship would be good on which to bring children or grandchildren?

Barbara 

I think all of Royal's ships are good for kids which is why they seem to be so popular with families.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cccole said:

The driving distance from Mumbai (the HAL port) to the Taj Mahal is 20 hours and the driving distance from Cochin is 36 hours.  I wonder how many HAL passengers drive 20 hours to see the Taj Mahal.

One does not drive from wherever the ship docks to Agra and then back again to re-join the ship.  At least, they wouldn't if they are sane.  One flies.  

This world cruise itinerary plan would be a perfect April Fool's joke.  But, April 1st is long gone and not on the near horizon.  

I understand that there is a non-refundable requirement adds to the "funniness" of this cruise.  Who in their right mind would book such a cruise so far in advance with such a requirement?  

• Like 2

We very much enjoyed our last two RCI cruises.  One was 21 days Oz/NZ, the other 10 days Rome-BCN (with excellent one way air home).

We booked both very close to the sailing date and we were very pleasantly surprised.   As one would expect, very, few children on either cruise.    We had not been on RCI in years.  We appreciated RCI honoring our Celebrity status.   Their Diamond lounge, on both ships, was first rate.

rkacruiser - I understand that probably 99% of passengers would fly, that was the point of my post.  The port the cruise ship uses just determines which airport you use, so distance from the Taj Majal is not as monumental unless driving.  Thanks for clarifying that "one does not drive" though!  Cherie