Unable to be vaccinated for health reasons?

39august

Does anyone know how a person,  unable to be vaccinated because of a physical condition,  is able to board a cruise ship as part of the 5% unvaccinated.? My DIL has lyme disease and her doctor advises she should not risk vaccination. Yet we would like for her to join us on a cruise this summer. 

12 minutes ago, 39august said:

Does anyone know how a person,  unable to be vaccinated because of a physical condition,  is able to board a cruise ship as part of the 5% unvaccinated.? My DIL has lyme disease and her doctor advises she should not risk vaccination. Yet we would like for her to join us on a cruise this summer. 

This is to important to leave to chance or misinterpretation. Speak to Celebrity or better still the Captains Club and ask for a formal written statement of the policy. I must say I thought there were no exceptions but things change so often.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tfred said:

that hotline doesn't mean that it is possible, it just means that there is an avenue for a question.  Be prepared for bad news.  There is really no reason for X to say yes

I agree, why open Pandora's box.  

59 minutes ago, 39august said:

Here is some info on Lyme Disease and Covid Vaccines from a good source.  Not questioning the medical advice from her doctor but just providing some information.  

https://www.lymedisease.org/covid-vaccination-side-effects/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tfred said:

that hotline doesn't mean that it is possible, it just means that there is an avenue for a question.  Be prepared for bad news.  There is really no reason for X to say yes

Best to go to the source to address the issue than an opinion from people who just don't want to sail with unvaccinated people. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 39august said:

My brother has severe lyme disease and has been vaccinated with no issues as have others we know. A lot of it where we live and the only exemption is allergy to the vaccine

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have a family member with lyme disease and she was strongly urged by her epidemiologist to get the vaccine, which she did. The doctor cited several very credible sources of info for that recommendation, including the Canadian lyme disease foundation.

Not disputing that your DIL was advised against it by her doctor, but wondering what sources a doctor would rely on to dispense that kind of medical advice.  Up here in Alberta, the ONLY medical exemptions to receiving a covid vaccine are for anaphylaxis or other severe reactions to related immunizations.  Doctors are restricted from providing a "medical exemption to vaccine" letter for anyone unless those very specific conditions are stated. 

Maybe it's different in the US?

Edited by nunuc2000
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It is honestly too early to know if you'll be allowed to sail if you are unvaccinated.  As of right now, Celebrity is turning away anyone who is in the age group to be vaccinated (so over 12 years of age)  if they are not fully vaccinated, which is defined by received 2 doses of most of them (1 of J&J) and 14 days past the second dose.  

There are a number of places (countries) who will not allow unvaccinated guests to visit.  So, it will all depend on where you are going, and when.  They are making limited exceptions for those too young to receive vaccines, but not for any other reason.  Currently, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are ONLY making vaccination exceptions for those age 11 and younger.  

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

It is honestly too early to know if you'll be allowed to sail if you are unvaccinated.  As of right now, Celebrity is turning away anyone who is in the age group to be vaccinated (so over 12 years of age)  if they are not fully vaccinated, which is defined by received 2 doses of most of them (1 of J&J) and 14 days past the second dose.  

There are a number of places (countries) who will not allow unvaccinated guests to visit.  So, it will all depend on where you are going, and when.  They are making limited exceptions for those too young to receive vaccines, but not for any other reason.  Currently, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are ONLY making vaccination exceptions for those age 11 and younger.  

GOOD

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 39august said:

You most likely will need to find another cruise line to take her on, if any exists at the moment... sailing options for the un-vaccinated are very limited, if any, currently.

You can also make deposits on several different lines to see who is the first to permit un-vaccinated passengers to board who have health issues and cannot take the or any vaccine for C-19.

Others with lyme disease, as I Am sure you have read by now, have very different input and experience(s) with the input of their doctors and taking the vaccine itself. It may be time to take a pause and re-think the situation ONLY if she and the family believe it is necessary.

I wish your DIL good health regardless and that you can find a line that is willing to make the exception(s) so she can sail.

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 4

If I had any type of health  issue that kept me from getting vaccinated I would not want to go on a cruise even though I would like to.

I could not imagine what would happen if I got the virus on board.   It is bad enough to get it on land away  at home.

Just my opinion and that doesn’t mean much and I am sure others will disagree

Happy cruising  🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'd like to see Celebrity mandate everyone be vaccinated no matter their age medical condition(s) or excuse(s) in order to board their ships. Maybe 2023 readdress the issue for those cruises. 

That would certainly eliminate the “exceptions” questions!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yep, no exceptions! 

Even now, any medical exceptions have to be in writing from an M.D.  Even then (if then), it; no guarantee the exception would br granted.

Better to require 100% vaccinated and remove any doubt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Even now, any medical exceptions have to be in writing from an M.D.  Even then (if then), it; no guarantee the exception would br granted.

Better to require 100% vaccinated and remove any doubt.

There have been a handful on news stories recently of doctors being caught giving out fraudulent Covid exemption notes. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies take a very hard stance against exemptions.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

There have been a handful on news stories recently of doctors being caught giving out fraudulent Covid exemption notes. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies take a very hard stance against exemptions.

I read about those.  I think they are coming down hard on them.  Same goes for the fake vaccine cards.

• Like 1