5-11 year old vaccines

On 10/26/2021 at 6:37 PM, Rosy Season said:

Sorry got the letters mixed up. But I heard that when the 12+ became a requirement it was almost immediately mandated and they just cancelled cruises. 

even if you turned 12 the day before the cruise the expectation is that you are fully vaccinated even though it’s not even possible. 

Yes. RCCL changed their policy at a point where it would be impossible for 12 year olds to be vaccinated in time for the first cruises requiring it. I did not follow, in detail, what happened to kids back then. 

On 10/26/2021 at 6:37 PM, Rosy Season said:

Sorry got the letters mixed up. But I heard that when the 12+ became a requirement it was almost immediately mandated and they just cancelled cruises. 

It depends on what you mean by "became a requirement".  FDA authorized EUA for Pfizer vaccine on 12 to 15 years old May 10, 2021.  Royal did not require vaccine for 12 years old until August or September.

If you make arrangements to get the shot as soon as EUA is authorized, you have almost three months to get vaccinated.  It should be obvious to anyone following the cruise industry that Royal is following CDC guideline lock step and will require Covid-19 vaccine for 12 to 15, just as I believe Royal will soon require vaccine for anyone above 5.

Edited by PCHENG

On 10/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

There is ZERO possibility of that.  First of all, it was the FDA advisory panel, not the CDC. Second, it has to be approved by the FDA itself, which might take days or longer. Third, the pediatric doses need to be distributed.  Even IF someone lucks out and that all happens fast, the first dose might be next Monday (November 1st), dose two would be three weeks later (November 28th) and immunity would be declared two weeks after that (December 12th).

Not to mention, the dose still won't be "approved", but will rather be permitted under "emergency use authorization".  So you're not going to see it mandated at all.

Just a quick note, based on your timeline, 3 weeks (21 days) would be Nov 21st not the 28th. On your timeline the earliest cruise would be Dec 5th.

I only bring this up, as my family cruise is on the Dec 12th and I’m watching everyday so I can get my 10year old Vaccinated in time. I know that her dday would be the November 7th to get on the ship fully vaccinated. 

(fortunately we’re going on a back to back and no matter what she’ll be vaccinated for the second leg)

On 10/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, leisuretraveler223 said:

There is ZERO possibility of that.  First of all, it was the FDA advisory panel, not the CDC. Second, it has to be approved by the FDA itself, which might take days or longer. Third, the pediatric doses need to be distributed.  Even IF someone lucks out and that all happens fast, the first dose might be next Monday (November 1st), dose two would be three weeks later (November 28th) and immunity would be declared two weeks after that (December 12th).

Not to mention, the dose still won't be "approved", but will rather be permitted under "emergency use authorization".  So you're not going to see it mandated at all.

It was mandated for cruising for 12 and over under Emergency Authorization

9 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

It was mandated for cruising for 12 and over under Emergency Authorization

Indeed. I would expect cruise line mandates by February 2022. Thankfully, it doesn’t appear it will be too difficult to find a shot within the next few weeks. Plenty of doses available. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Anyway, to the original point the orange top vials have already been shipped, my hospital has them in the pharmacy. 

RI already has a supply on hand and ready to go also and well as plans for various clinics. Once the ok comes this is going to move pretty fast.

I anticipate RCI moving the requirement to everyone age 5 and older at the start of 2022. Conceivably, they could move to 100% vaccination. I don't think dropping families with kids under 5yo would affect that many bookings and perhaps the use of masks would go away. That could bring in enough new booking to compensate for any that are lost because of having kids under 5yo.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

RI already has a supply on hand and ready to go also and well as plans for various clinics. Once the ok comes this is going to move pretty fast.

I anticipate RCI moving the requirement to everyone age 5 and older at the start of 2022. Conceivably, they could move to 100% vaccination. I don't think dropping families with kids under 5yo would affect that many bookings and perhaps the use of masks would go away. That could bring in enough new booking to compensate for any that are lost because of having kids under 5yo.

I agree 100%, next week when the approval comes down, probably sometime Tuesday, we will be able to start administering, literally within minutes, of the approval being announced. 

12 hours ago, PCHENG said:

It depends on what you mean by "became a requirement".  FDA authorized EUA for Pfizer vaccine on 12 to 15 years old May 10, 2021.  Royal did not require vaccine for 12 years old until August or September.

If you make arrangements to get the shot as soon as EUA is authorized, you have almost three months to get vaccinated.  It should be obvious to anyone following the cruise industry that Royal is following CDC guideline lock step and will require Covid-19 vaccine for 12 to 15, just as I believe Royal will soon require vaccine for anyone above 5.

My question is about the timing between when the FDA approved or authorized use for 12 year olds and when RCCL mandated them for cruises.  What was that time frame?  I have a cruise with a 7 year old at the end of November so even if I schedule the first vaccine asap then there still wouldn’t be enough time to be fully vaccinated before that date.  We also have one for December 26th so that is also concerning.  Especially if there is a mad rush for the vaccine and we can’t get a date.

I think requiring it starting Jan 1 makes the most sense. The only other earlier option is some mid month date of Dec. I would think royal would opt for the "clean" start of month date... unless the cdc or Bahamas pushes an earlier date.

We'll find out by Monday what the Bahamas are doing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I think requiring it starting Jan 1 makes the most sense. The only other earlier option is some mid month date of Dec. I would think royal would opt for the "clean" start of month date... unless the cdc or Bahamas pushes an earlier date.

We'll find out by Monday what the Bahamas are doing. 

I think if timing works and they make it mandatory mid Dec, Royal would lose a lot of bookings as many families travel over xmas holidays.  

I also guess in the new year (assuming it is approved in the next few weeks)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

My question is about the timing between when the FDA approved or authorized use for 12 year olds and when RCCL mandated them for cruises.  What was that time frame?  I have a cruise with a 7 year old at the end of November so even if I schedule the first vaccine asap then there still wouldn’t be enough time to be fully vaccinated before that date.  We also have one for December 26th so that is also concerning.  Especially if there is a mad rush for the vaccine and we can’t get a date.

If I remember correctly, FDA authorized Pfizer vaccine for 12 to 15 year old kids in May of 2021, and RCCL mandated vaccine for 12 to 15 starting August for all US departures.  The only exception is Florida, where Royal waited until September before requiring vaccine, and only after several Bahamas and Caribbean countries banned all cruise ships from sailing in their waters unless everyone eligible is vaccinated.  Many parents who thought no vaccine was needed for kids when sailing out of Florida got blindsided and could not get vaccinated in time before the mandate takes effect on September 3, 2021.

Moral of the story, get your kids vaccinated if eligible, because CDC or the cruise port will most likely require them, and RCCL must abide by the CDC and foreign government requirements.

Edited by PCHENG
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

RCCL changed their policy at a point where it would be impossible for 12 year olds to be vaccinated in time for the first cruises requiring it.

Keep in mind that RCCL and other lines pretty much responded to what the ports required.

1 hour ago, PCHENG said:

If I remember correctly, FDA authorized Pfizer vaccine for 12 to 15 year old kids in May of 2021, and RCCL mandated vaccine for 12 to 15 starting August for all US departures.  The only exception is Florida, where Royal waited until September before requiring vaccine, and only after several Bahamas and Caribbean countries banned all cruise ships from sailing in their waters unless everyone eligible is vaccinated.  Many parents who thought no vaccine was needed for kids when sailing out of Florida got blindsided and could not get vaccinated in time before the mandate takes effect on September 3, 2021.

Moral of the story, get your kids vaccinated if eligible, because CDC or the cruise port will most likely require them, and RCCL must abide by the CDC and foreign government requirements.

Good advice. Anyone who does not wish to vaccinate probably shouldn’t be booking any cruises. Save yourself the headache of trying to beg for a refund and just take the kids to Disney World. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PCHENG said:

the key here is US sailings.  As far as I remember the only cruises where 12 years old were affected were the initial June cruises out of the Bahamas (we sailed on the 12th of June), where there wasn't enough time to get 12yr olds vaccinated, but this was driven by the Bahamian gov't, not RCL.

17 hours ago, csnarpy said:

Just a quick note, based on your timeline, 3 weeks (21 days) would be Nov 21st not the 28th. On your timeline the earliest cruise would be Dec 5th.

I only bring this up, as my family cruise is on the Dec 12th and I’m watching everyday so I can get my 10year old Vaccinated in time. I know that her dday would be the November 7th to get on the ship fully vaccinated. 

(fortunately we’re going on a back to back and no matter what she’ll be vaccinated for the second leg)

Thank you. My math sucks! LOL! 

I still vouch there is no way they are going to mandate it as strictly as they did for older individuals for two reasons:

First, those cruises were among the first going out, and they were absolutely doing everything they could to make them as safe as possible.   But now, they've had countless under 12 on those cruises without vaccinations, it's almost draconian to try and enforce it overnight.  It lacks credibility.

Second, and I say this as a pediatrician with 20 years experience:  It's a lot harder to mandate parents give something to their 5-11 year old under "EUA" than it is for a 12 and over.  Parents just view those kids as their "babies" a lot more.  I see it every day in families that didn't hesitate to get their 13 or 16 y/o vaccinated, but aren't so eager for their 6 or 9 year old.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, smokeybandit said:

Then it'd be a real slap in the face because making protocols even more strict despite basically zero cases anywhere on a cruise ship already makes perfect sense.

Perhaps the protocols have something to do with the number of cases?  No, that would be too logical.  Just get rid of them all and see what happens, don't stay with what you know is working. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:41 AM, PCHENG said:

Mine is definitely getting vaccinated as soon as possible...I just want us to be able to sail on our vacations too.