The Daily for Saturday October 30, 2021

richwmn

Happy Saturday of Halloween weekend!  I am on the fence about candy corn--can take it or leave, but won't go out to buy it!  When MY ship comes in, I would love to try the wine--till then will resort to "cheaper" wines.  

I agree that the technology of today is helping families/friends to share special or significant times.  It even made me think about trying to set up a Zoom meeting with my sister than I haven't seen in almost three years and I have no hope of seeing anytime in the near future!

This Daily is so special with all of the sharing and caring that happens here.  Many thanks to @richwmnfor starting each day in such a positive way and to @rafinmdfor the lists of those on the care list and celebratory lists.  I feel that all who share their ups and downs have turned this into a wonderful group.

Football Saturday is my day.  I have loved football since my Father taught me about it when I was 12 years old--the last Thanksgiving that he was alive!  Such a special memory of him and then when I married my DH, we could enjoy that time together.  Now, it is just me, popcorn and memories!

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for the photos of Recife and Olinda you provided.  It seems we might want to take a guided tour of Olinda instead of wandering the streets of Recife.  @Quartzsite Cruiseryou're right, that 2015 Ruby Princess cruise originally had Recife on the itinerary.  About 3 1/2 months before embarkation we got the news Recife was cancelled.  I just read the booking confirmation for that cruise and they did a little shuffling and then added Grenada.  They were having some real problems with crime there apparently.  I remember hearing of a Princess tour in Salvador, Brazil having problems while there.  A woman in the group had her gold necklace ripped off her neck while with her tour group.  Moral of the story is try to be aware of your surroundings at all times!

You’re welcome! If you’ve ever done an Amazon cruise and been warned about the crime in Belém, Recife is worse. In Belém on the Princendam, our ‘Dolphin Street’ (Deck 1) next door neighbour had her phone ripped right out of her shirt pocket. She saw us right after that, and we stayed with her to take her back to the ship. Another passenger, against all advice and warning, wore a bracelet her father had given her when she went out. It was dear to her heart and she never took it off. She was pushed down, robbed, and had the bracelet ripped off her wrist. She was left with heavy bruising on her face. This is all in open tourist areas in broad daylight. The ship warns you to dress down and leave your jewelry on the ship. They mean it. A more seasoned traveler told me “Make sure your back pockets are empty when you leave the ship, because they WILL be empty when you come back.”

The Olinda tour is much safer and much prettier.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

As frequently happens with me I received an educsation from today's post regarding the Night Before Halloween. Being a desert rat all my life I never heard of anything before Halloween, just did the Trick or Treating on Halloween night.

A miracle, today I see a dinner that I can and do cook. I love balsamic pot roast cooked in a slow cooker, but it has to have carrots along with the potatos and onions.

Finally I got over the exhaustion that started the day before my coastal cruise and am feeling back to my normal. Need to refill some prescriptions and will get my booster jab at the sametime.

Thanks to everyone who posted the lovely photos of todays port.

Jane

• Like 19

12 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

You’re welcome! If you’ve ever done an Amazon cruise and been warned about the crime in Belém, Recife is worse. In Belém on the Princendam, our ‘Dolphin Street’ (Deck 1) next door neighbour had her phone ripped right out of her shirt pocket. She saw us right after that, and we stayed with her to take her back to the ship. Another passenger, against all advice and warning, wore a bracelet her father had given her when she went out. It was dear to her heart and she never took it off. She was pushed down, robbed, and had the bracelet ripped off her wrist. She was left with heavy bruising on her face. This is all in open tourist areas in broad daylight. The ship warns you to dress down and leave your jewelry on the ship. They mean it. A more seasoned traveler told me “Make sure your back pockets are empty when you leave the ship, because they WILL be empty when you come back.”

All excellent advice.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

I am not a candy corn person - too sugary. Fortunately not much is done around here on mischief night. One time I was back home in NJ from college and with no garage; someone egged my car and tried to put something in the gas tank but that car had a tricky gas cap they couldn't get open, fortunately.

Good quote.

Good meal which I've made in the past; not today. Pass on the drink and the wine is too expensive!

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

Another cloudy, rainy, chilly day here. I ran out this morning to pick up my new desktop computer. I'll set it next to my old one for a while to get it set up, move this one upstairs and donate the oldest one that's already upstairs. Also getting the den ready for the removal of the current TV and new TV installation tomorrow.

@cunnorl I'm hoping you get to video chat with your DS today.

@jimgev Interesting about Goosey Night. I grew up in central NJ at the shore, and we called it Devil's Night.

@dobiemom I too was shocked at the cost of beef. I make a sauerbraten every year for Christmas and was looking at beef recently. Fortunately I have the cut I need in my freezer already.

@ger_77 Cute idea on the aprons.

@Seasick Sailor Yay on the bathroom progress and the cable/internet being fixed!

@StLouisCruisers Very cute pictures of the DGDs.

@durangoscots Good to hear your shelter director will be back.

@grapau27 Hoping all goes well with your surgery next month.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask if needed.

Thank you JazzyV for your best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Saturday of Halloween weekend!  I am on the fence about candy corn--can take it or leave, but won't go out to buy it!  When MY ship comes in, I would love to try the wine--till then will resort to "cheaper" wines.  

I agree that the technology of today is helping families/friends to share special or significant times.  It even made me think about trying to set up a Zoom meeting with my sister than I haven't seen in almost three years and I have no hope of seeing anytime in the near future!

This Daily is so special with all of the sharing and caring that happens here.  Many thanks to @richwmnfor starting each day in such a positive way and to @rafinmdfor the lists of those on the care list and celebratory lists.  I feel that all who share their ups and downs have turned this into a wonderful group.

Football Saturday is my day.  I have loved football since my Father taught me about it when I was 12 years old--the last Thanksgiving that he was alive!  Such a special memory of him and then when I married my DH, we could enjoy that time together.  Now, it is just me, popcorn and memories!

Have a great day, everyone.

I absolutely agree with you.

Graham.

• Like 6

Good afternoon.  The motorhome is clean and ready to put the sun screens on.  Right now, the replacement sunscreens for both ends of the house are bing installed, and on the day promised!  The installation brought to mind the old adage, "measure twice, cut once."  Two of the screens are too long.  The installer is taking them back, to have them resized and will be back later today.

This morning when I opened the blinds, there was a coyote calmly walking down the street.  We see them in the neighborhood a few times a year.   This year, with the severe drought, the little critters they hunt are scarce.  Coyotes have been known to jump the fences here and snatch little dogs and cats.  When we I had our dogs, we never let them out by themselves from late afternoon to early morning.

@StLouisCruisers and @Horizon chaser 1957, we have been given the advice to dress down and leave the jewelry on the ship.  I have an inexpensive watch that if it's stolen, it's no big deal.  Otherwise, I've even quit wearing cheap ($4) earrings.  I don't want my ear ripped by someone trying to steal them.  I am always amazed at the women and some men, who dress to the nines to visit ports, and then they wonder why they were robbed.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Thank you for the pictures of Olinda and Recife.  It brought back good memories, even though Recife was plagued by crime in 1999.

@durangoscots  That's great news that the shelter manager is coming back to work.  Wish he did not need dialysis.

@NextOne  What ever design you carve, I bet the pumpkin will be great.  That was my job for years, but I haven't carved one in at least 20 years.

@cruzn single Hope you get that zoom meeting with your sister arranged.

Now, it's back to work.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Well, the CC gremlins have been leaving me alone lately and all three devices are working properly.   But now the TV is a problem.  The streaming service is having issues and it will shut down and boot me back to the Home page every 30 minutes or so.   Sometimes you can't watch a whole show.  It is past annoying. This has been going on for several days and we are getting that all familiar message:   We're working on it right now.  I know the problem is them because the other services work just fine.  

• Like 15

Good Afternoon All,

Just got back from our group’s annual costumed Halloween ride. We had more than 25 show, and quite a variety of creative costumes. One of the sticky points is they have to be safe around the bike and on the trails. One of the fun things was seeing surprise about our costumes on other MTBers and hikers on the trails. The trails were great- my favorite single track had been groomed to add larger rollers, so as to slow down some of the riders that go too fast. Another fun thing was to see another lady’s cape and my own, flying behind us as we descended a hill. 

@lazey1 So sorry to hear about Kakelina. Praying for comfort for both of you, and hopefully a good cruise on the horizon.

@dobiemom Agreed on the shocking price of meat. Interestingly, I was able to pick up really good chuck at Stater Bros last Sunday, for only $4.99/ lb. Not sure if where you are in SoCal, if there’s one near you. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I join those who are not fans of candy corn. We will make sure everything is inside and secure tonight. For those with pets, expect the firecrackers to be used with a heavy hand tonight. 
We visited Recife, Brazil in January, 2020 on the Amsterdam’s last HAL voyage. Was that really almost two years ago now? The highlight of Recife was the tour of Olinda, the pretty village up the hill and away from the crime that Recife is famous for. 

F7CD7BD7-252A-402D-9C0C-86C773394A94.jpeg.bdf1372e8a8c3926d68bbcd7eb7951b4.jpeg

The street angles of Recife make for interesting architecture.

513F32FC-B92B-4112-AD4C-2BE3EF16B761.thumb.jpeg.f194a5ac2f8465822f31a97669571870.jpeg

In early times, property taxes were based on the length of a buildings street frontage. As a result, buildings were tall, deep, and very narrow!

E2B3660E-2D27-4D1B-810A-5F345BD13EFB.thumb.jpeg.56e39e793022d2997b9ba87d2e0e8b39.jpeg

Views of Recife from the town of Olinda. The name Olinda means beautiful, and it lived up to it!

50D2ECCC-D8A3-4AA7-A223-2952336E9753.thumb.jpeg.efef8600300c88180f3b41e23faf1121.jpeg

12CC5E23-8350-4034-A244-976072B47815.thumb.jpeg.cb0b15f45bf65928d688fce04c1c7bb6.jpeg

The down side, or up side? Is the steep streets. They’re actually worse than the pictures show.

CE03BB78-E07A-4CED-BE0C-2B36C114A4B0.thumb.jpeg.9e2b69cc7b1352f4002d6859287c1a1b.jpeg

7080599D-4814-44B6-9179-7171670BD183.thumb.jpeg.81f53bcfb4ef91cb684926015bbcaf89.jpeg

681FE2AF-D2B2-4454-8E9F-1C4579713EC5.thumb.jpeg.10575ecd524510e77ee9882c0bbfd627.jpeg

96D5C7DB-9346-4240-80B0-AD5B7956A8D2.thumb.jpeg.fd5e26f025b65fb3e11504815876f528.jpeg

2534C98A-BB46-4657-AED6-46117B6C404F.jpeg.91d1e8f6d4e925fe6346146e1f720ed2.jpeg

Recife in the sunset at sail away.

E22D2F14-3BF7-4753-B715-4A816C055232.jpeg.5753c61e5826be3992a31ec46972a8d1.jpeg

Happy Saturday, and I envy those boarding a BHB today!

FC9AC38D-74AB-458F-97D0-D3963D8C1B2A.thumb.jpeg.75326b20a655b6d574bca6cf27a5128f.jpeg

LOVED THE PHOTOS. Jim,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm just a little late today!

Not a fan of candy corn.

Have never been to South America, other than a port stop in Columbia on my Zuiderdam sailing.  Liked it very much.  Maybe if I'd stop booking so many Caribbean sailings.  Booked another on Carnival last night for my cruise buddy's birthday.  Her 70th was last January 30th and, of course, we couldn't sail.  And, gasp, I didn't have an FCC to apply!  I actually had to pay for it all (but it was a very good fare).

So many places I want to see.  If I could just reign in my addiction and save up, I could do some of the really interesting and new-to-me itineraries.  But what can I say?  I'm an addict.  I now have 10 booked in the 12 months beginning with my Eurodam in a couple of weeks.  Got to make up for all the cancellations, you know?  Hmm.  Maybe I could put that MSC FCC to good use by booking something other than Caribbean or Mediterranean.

• Like 13

I think I got carried away a bit with optimism.  On Halloween night I set a little table outside my door with little baggies of candy, and a sign on the door with instructions.  I apparently expected things to be back to normal (they might be pretty normal except for the delta variant and my pending medical treatment) so I was ready with the basic setup:

DSCF8446.thumb.JPG.01f31054a8ae3ade32705

I didn't however save the template for the sign and had to figure out again how to create the arrow:

candy.JPG.5ecfe2ce5687684801d574f91db699a7.JPG

Roy

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yes, Recife is a crime spot, I would take a taxi(5 to10$)  to Olinda and walk around , see the church etc. We did

it with our priest on board and visit the church and had a beer with the priest (Irish!) and  had a great time..great view..

• Like 6

Reading the Daily has become the best part of my day, although because I am now working part time(couldn't afford to retire, but was laid off at age 65 and DH was just about to start radiation at the time) my end of day is when I am done with work, dinner created,  cats fed, trash out,) and then I sit and read.  even on Saturdays.  The upside is,  I work from home.  The downside, I am trying to sell tickets to symphonies across the country during a pandemic.  Thank goodness I don't work for commission.

Candy corn, you mean it isn't really corn?  All this time I thought I was eating a sweet veggie....

Mischief night-there was a house in my old neighborhood in NJ that for some reason the kids always threw eggs at.  They eventually painted the house, egg yolk yellow.  No more eggings.  I toilet papered my college campus  in MN...but when I moved south no one knew about Mischief night.  And I have behaved ever since....

StLouisCruiser-weather in Georgia-don't ever believe the forecast- I learned weather from my grampa, if the sky is super blue, expect bad weather, if Georgians say it will clear up today, add a day. The temperature will always be off by 10 degrees, and I think this year, we will get snow in central GA.  The amount of nuts that a tree produces indicates the coldness of the upcoming winter.  My gramps was a wealth of weather info-he was a farmer in VT.

Happy Halloween All!  

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

Prayers and kindness for health solutions and easy decisions for all in need. Thanks for The Daily. Each time I miss a few days of reading and have to catch up, I am thankful for the love and the stories! We traveled to AZ  to visit DM, and had lunch with no background noise, good food and service. A belated celebration of DM’s 101 and 1/2 year birthday! DH had the walleye, DM and I enjoyed  sandwiches and conversation. We spent the afternoon together, DH cleaned up his emails and Mom and I went through piles of paper, she shared cards, letters and pictures of her children, grand children and great grand children. That evening we watched the AZ Cardinals and the Packers (aah, Packers! ❤️). So blessed to be able to spend time with my mother. Then on to Tucson and an evening with my brother and SIL for a high school Homecoming football game, (DH and SIL went to high school together a few years ago…). Tears “stood in my eyes” watching the band, the cheerleaders, players, and the crowd filled with joy, noise, laughter and hope! Home to CA now for pumpkin carving with grandchildren  and oohing and aahing over Halloween costumes and decorations. 🎃

• Like 16

Good evening.  This afternoon, despite doing all my tricks, I have not been able to like any new posts on my android tablet.  Fortunately, the CC gremlins have left my iPad alone.  👍  I keep the iPad turned off unless I need it for CC.

I’ve done all I can trimming the mesquite tree.  There are still some dead branches, but I can’t safely reach them ot cut them with the pole  chainsaw.  Now, we either leave them alone, or hire someone to cut them down.

Depending on our timing tomorrow, I may be late posting.  We are going to Yuma and Algodones, Mexico, in the morning.  It’s basically a shopping trip, to get what we can’t get in Blythe or Parker.

The sunscreen installer was back when he said he would be.  Now, all the new sunscreens are installed. 👏

@Norseh2o  Glad you had a great visit with your DM, and then, seeing your DB and DSIL.

@TiogaCruiser  Glad the Halloween ride went well.  It must have been a sight to see all the riders in costume.

@lazey1 Jane, I’m glad you are feeling back to normal.  I too have to have carrots in my pot roast.

@dfish  Debbie, I’m happy you have not been bothered by the CC gremlins lately.  I’ll be more than happy to wish them a permanent goodbye.

Lenda

• Like 14

So glad I was able to finally check the Daily.

I love candy corn but try not to buy any.  Have a few Reses mini's for any trick or treaters that may come by.  We rarely get any so I know who will enjoy the chocolate!!  Both myself and DH.

The quote is great advice.

Mischief night is a new one for me. I will have to learn more about it!!

Prayers to all on the care list.

Happy times to those celebrating.  

Thanks for all the posts and hard work so many of you put into this.  Well appreciated.

👻

• Like 12