Can anybody at Celebrity spell? Or proofread? Or use spellcheck even?

Alakegirl

On 4/9/2023 at 8:31 PM, Newbury newbie said:

Wasn’t me, but what have you Americans got to say about Aluminum, when quite clearly it’s Aluminium!!

Or specialty when the word is speciality ???? Why lose the I? Or math when it is maths??? I bet there are more that I don’t know of. Ruining the fine old English language 😁 something us in Yorkshire get accused of too, we have our own unique version.

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Or specialty when the word is speciality ???? Why lose the I? Or math when it is maths??? I bet there are more that I don’t know of. Ruining the fine old English language 😁 something us in Yorkshire get accused of too, we have our own unique version.

We stayed at a country farm house in Yorkshire some years ago. At breakfast the lovely farmers wife asked us at breakfast if we would like “Moa mil”…We needed a man from Leeds to translate it to ‘more milk’…Later in the day I went into a lovely local bakers and I asked for two barm cakes and confused the lady serving. When I pointed to the desired items she said “You mean our floury baps”…One country and many dialects!

As an ex teacher it is signs that really get to me…

”Please switch of the lights” being one in our community hall (couldn’t change or alter or I would have offended someones wife or mother) and “Help yourself to desert” in a local hotel… I had to pin my husband to his seat to prevent him asking what flavours of sand they had…

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Clearly, we dropped the “i” in speciality in order to shorten the word from 5 syllables to 3. 🙂

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 7:16 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Get used to the proof reading, spelling errors.   If you have worked with any recent high school or even college grads you will know they can’t spell.   It may be because of texting or just shortcomings in our educational systems.   You will also learn that basic math is also beyond them unless they have a PC or Phone to do calculations for them.   

They can't even make simple change at the store without help from a machine,   esp if you add an extra quarter to cover part of the  coin change!

The new math is quite odd but is geared to problem solving over simple math/arithmetic.  My grandson does it all quickly in his head but has to write out how he got the answer..

I worked as a p/t proofreader in college.  Love to find errors in print and online books.. all of which have professional editors on staff and maybe spell check.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

They can't even make simple change at the store without help from a machine,   esp if you add an extra quarter to cover part of the  coin change!

The new math is quite odd but is geared to problem solving over simple math/arithmetic.  My grandson does it all quickly in his head but has to write out how he got the answer..

I worked as a p/t proofreader in college.  Love to find errors in print and online books.. all of which have professional editors on staff and maybe spell check.

Jim..You started a great thread!

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Who is Jim?  The thread was started by a female, presumably ……. L

Probably was referring to this thread:

43 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Who is Jim?  The thread was started by a female, presumably ……. L

Apologies to the OP.. thought it was  Jim_Iain.