Vegan Food On Princess

jdacombe

7 hours ago, nini said:

Thanks for posting. People always question me, what do you eat?

We will not have Club Class dining so I hope that the main dining room can be as accommodating (on the Sky).

What were some of his favorite dishes for lunches and dinners? Does he consume oil?

Thanks!

he consumes only olive oil. No coconut oil or others (a lot of vegan products, like vegan cheese, use coconut oil, so that's out).  Last cruise the chef made him vegan Samosas.  They were so good he had them almost every day and then they gave us the recipe to take home. He is big on fancy salads, likes all kinds of bean dishes. stir-fry or steamed veggies,  Saw that Gastro Pub has Impossible Burger, so he will 'splurge' on that (no bread).   We are also big on the Instapot at home - great soups and stews. We find if we ask for things like that the night before, they have been very accommodating.  Even at home, when making a reservation, we let them know in advance and it's amazing how chef's come up with creative and delicious meals.  He also love Oatmeal and can eat that all day long (sometimes add savory items, not big on sweet ones).  I recommend stopping by the dining room on embarkation day and speak to the Head.. (not sure of new titles..) .  You can also list dietary restrictions in the Medallion app.  Enjoy!

5 hours ago, Familycruzer11 said:

he consumes only olive oil. No coconut oil or others (a lot of vegan products, like vegan cheese, use coconut oil, so that's out).  Last cruise the chef made him vegan Samosas.  They were so good he had them almost every day and then they gave us the recipe to take home. He is big on fancy salads, likes all kinds of bean dishes. stir-fry or steamed veggies,  Saw that Gastro Pub has Impossible Burger, so he will 'splurge' on that (no bread).   We are also big on the Instapot at home - great soups and stews. We find if we ask for things like that the night before, they have been very accommodating.  Even at home, when making a reservation, we let them know in advance and it's amazing how chef's come up with creative and delicious meals.  He also love Oatmeal and can eat that all day long (sometimes add savory items, not big on sweet ones).  I recommend stopping by the dining room on embarkation day and speak to the Head.. (not sure of new titles..) .  You can also list dietary restrictions in the Medallion app.  Enjoy!

Thank you so much for your experiences and suggestions. I wish I  could do even olive and coconut oil. I am fortunate as I love salads and lots of greens. I actually used to eat raw oatmeal straight out of the "box" when I was little- I love it!

• Like 1

Was recently on a HAL cruise where I was thrilled to discover they had a nightly vegetarian menu.  Have an upcoming Island Princess cruise. Can any one say if this apparently hit or miss Princess vegetarian menu is available on the Island? 

Edited by elgingirl

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, elgingirl said:

Was recently on a HAL cruise where I was thrilled to discover they had a nightly vegetarian menu.  Have an upcoming Island Princess cruise. Can any one say if this apparently hit or miss Princess vegetarian menu is available on the Island? 

There is a thread from someone who is currently doing a World Cruise on the Island Princess.  I asked about the Vegan menu in the MDR.  She said she asked and they said they did have one.  Attached is the current Vegan/Vegetarian menu.  It is SO MUCH smaller than the one I had on the Regal in 2021.  I am very disappointed.  Based on this particular menu, there's nothing on here I would eat.  Maybe the Eggplant.

menu4.jpg.323b7e81bd0f8ed1692ba4b108daec90.jpg

Edited by Denali2003

3 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

There is a thread from someone who is currently doing a World Cruise on the Island Princess.  I asked about the Vegan menu in the MDR.  She said she asked and they said they did have one.  Attached is the current Vegan/Vegetarian menu.  It is SO MUCH smaller than the one I had on the Regal in 2021.  I am very disappointed.  Based on this particular menu, there's nothing on here I would eat.  Maybe the Eggplant.

menu4.jpg.323b7e81bd0f8ed1692ba4b108daec90.jpg

Well, I am allergic to eggplant and do not care for green bell peppers. I do enjoy the red, orange, and yellow. That s a very SKIMPY and unimaginative menu.

My husband is a vegan.

We haven't sailed Princess this year but it has always been our experience in the past that the Head Waiter for our area would come over every evening as we finished dinner with the next night's menu and he and my husband would come up with something for his dinner.

I don't know if that's still the case, though.

We're signed up for next year's World Cruise so I certainly hope so!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Princess Medallion App now allows one to indicate if they are Vegan.

In the Princess Medallion App go to:

My Preferences

then

Dining

1st page will be "Share Your Allergens" click on Save button at bottom of the page.

2nd page of Dining will be "Diet "page

Select there "Vegan" and click on "Next" button. On the following page click on the Save button.

We were on the Ruby in April 2022. We didn't eat in the MDR but I was able to find enough vegan items to be satisfied. The room service vegan chili was really good but the portion was tiny, so you need to order two of them. The buffet items were not labeled so I had to continuously ask if something had butter/dairy in it. The staff was helpful.

We are now looking at booking the Crown and this time we'll be in the MDR. In previous years on Princess I've done well in the MDR by talking to the headwaiter in the beginning and getting things customized. It seems like the vegan menus vary wildly from ship to ship. Curious to see what is happening on the Crown.

Thanks for posting a vegan menu, knew they had a vegetarian one, but not vegan.  I don't usually eat in the MDR, especially when I cruise solo, so I'm hoping on my next solo cruise, they'll let me order from it through room service.  When solo, I usually end up in the buffet.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:12 AM, nini said:

Well, I am allergic to eggplant and do not care for green bell peppers. I do enjoy the red, orange, and yellow. That s a very SKIMPY and unimaginative menu.

I'll take your eggplant!  Would it be easy to do vegan in the buffet?  I haven't tried it, but I think being able to pick out your ingredients from the salad bar would work.  I guess non-stop salads would get boring, but you wouldn't have to guess is there's secret dairy or meat ingredients in a dish.  (My vegan cousin says sneaky things like chicken broth sometimes show up without being identified.)

On our 2018 cruise on the Star Princess I asked to talk to the head chef in the buffet.  He came out and I asked about the Vegetarian / Vegan options.  More to the point, telling him there were none (except for the salad).  He agreed.  He does not have control over it.  However, he did go to the back of the kitchen, came back with the buffet menu for the rest of the cruise.  He too is a Vegetarian and is disappointed in the lack of choices.  Then every time I went to the buffet, he saw me and came out from the kitchen and walked me around the buffet showing me what I could eat.  I thought that was very kind of him.  There was one dish on the buffet -- spaghetti wrapped in eggplant slices.  OMG, that was good.  He said he made that dish.  I made sure I got his name and gave him a great review.  I felt bad for him one day.  He was at the meat carving station.  He's a Vegetarian and has to stand there and cut up a animal (couldn't remember if it was a turkey or pig).

On our 2021 cruise on the Regal Princess (the ship was only half full but full crew) the Head Waiter (Erno) from the dining room went above & well beyond with my food choices.  On that cruise, the Vegan dinner menu was much more extensive than it is now.  Each night he would bring me the next night's Vegan menu and I picked what I wanted.  One night we had dinner at Sabatini's.  He contacted the main guy there - Franco and told him to "take good care" of me.  He did.  Then, just after we ordered our dinner at Sabatini's, Erno came in and showed me the next night's Vegan menu and I picked what I wanted.  Another night we decided to have dinner in the buffet.  Erno had my dinner delivered to the buffet for me to eat!  Like I said, WELL above & beyond.  A few times Erno saw me in the buffet and walked me around to show me what I could eat.  He was disappointed to see that salad was my only option.

On our 2022 cruise it was full passengers and only 50% crew.  Our experience was less than desirable.  Guess we were spoiled on our 2021 cruise.

I will see how our May 2023 cruise goes. We will be on the Island Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denali2003 said:

On our 2018 cruise on the Star Princess I asked to talk to the head chef in the buffet.  He came out and I asked about the Vegetarian / Vegan options.  More to the point, telling him there were none (except for the salad).  He agreed.  He does not have control over it.  However, he did go to the back of the kitchen, came back with the buffet menu for the rest of the cruise.  He too is a Vegetarian and is disappointed in the lack of choices.  Then every time I went to the buffet, he saw me and came out from the kitchen and walked me around the buffet showing me what I could eat.  I thought that was very kind of him.  There was one dish on the buffet -- spaghetti wrapped in eggplant slices.  OMG, that was good.  He said he made that dish.  I made sure I got his name and gave him a great review.  I felt bad for him one day.  He was at the meat carving station.  He's a Vegetarian and has to stand there and cut up a animal (couldn't remember if it was a turkey or pig).

On our 2021 cruise on the Regal Princess (the ship was only half full but full crew) the Head Waiter (Erno) from the dining room went above & well beyond with my food choices.  On that cruise, the Vegan dinner menu was much more extensive than it is now.  Each night he would bring me the next night's Vegan menu and I picked what I wanted.  One night we had dinner at Sabatini's.  He contacted the main guy there - Franco and told him to "take good care" of me.  He did.  Then, just after we ordered our dinner at Sabatini's, Erno came in and showed me the next night's Vegan menu and I picked what I wanted.  Another night we decided to have dinner in the buffet.  Erno had my dinner delivered to the buffet for me to eat!  Like I said, WELL above & beyond.  A few times Erno saw me in the buffet and walked me around to show me what I could eat.  He was disappointed to see that salad was my only option.

On our 2022 cruise it was full passengers and only 50% crew.  Our experience was less than desirable.  Guess we were spoiled on our 2021 cruise.

I will see how our May 2023 cruise goes. We will be on the Island Princess.

Good luck with your May cruise. It really sounds like the vegetarian/vegan experience is so dependent on having at least one employee going above and beyond great service. It is always the right thing to do when this happens to make sure you turn in your report of how they did go above and beyond to make your cruise special.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Good luck with your May cruise. It really sounds like the vegetarian/vegan experience is so dependent on having at least one employee going above and beyond great service. It is always the right thing to do when this happens to make sure you turn in your report of how they did go above and beyond to make your cruise special.

Apparently, all staff of Princess Corporate can eat anything and they are perfectly healthy with no health issues. And this would include their families and friends. Ugh!

36 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

No Vegan Menu on CB in the MDR, I specifically asked last night

Did you notify Princess in advance of the cruise that you want vegan meals?

You specify dietary request in the Princess Medallion App.

In the Medallion App go to:

My Preferences

then

Dining

2nd page of Dining will be Diet page

Select there Vegan

and then at the next page Save.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I have found that to be the case! One Princess cruise we had a vegan host in the MDR and my meals were spectacular!

• Like 2

I’m here for almost a month, I was working off the vegetarian menu which is beyond limited. 
I spoke with the restaurant manager, he said a vegan menu doesn’t exist on the CB and moving forward I just have to chat with him the night before and we’ll come up with a plan for the next day.

I just wanted to alert people at least on  this ship a separate Vegan menu doesn’t exist.

***I’m only a vegetarian but with that still don’t eat certain foods so i was hoping for options.

• Thanks 1