Live from the Emerald Princess 11/6-11/16

abqmommyof4

18 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

Princess.thumb.jpg.758ffcb113440e6b6928b9f0a42dde2a.jpg

Leaving the Panama Canal we drifted to the right and left our mark on the above light pole.  The bridge clipped it. 

That will buff out...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There is a Panama pilot onboard with full responsibility for the ship which is being pulled by tugboats thru the new canal (they use the “mules” to move the ships in the old canal). I suspect no one will be blamed for damaging the lights!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The Panama Canal agency requires the Captain to give full control of the ship over to the pilot.  This is the only place in the world that has this requirement.  I forgot what happens if this is denied.  

I think that the Pilot has full control over the ship in the Great Lakes, also, except for navigation.

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

EXACTLY!!

Y'know Steelers, another reliable source woult be @Heidi13

I truly wish one of these respected contributors would stumble onto this question.  I agree that the local pilot does have culpability.  However, I am not buying into the thought that the presence of a local pilot absolves the bridge command of any responsibility,

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Y'know Steelers, another reliable source woult be @Heidi13

I truly wish one of these respected contributors would stumble onto this question.  I agree that the local pilot does have culpability.  However, I am not buying into the thought that the presence of a local pilot absolves the bridge command of any responsibility,

In most ports, the local pilot is a resource for the Bridge Team, that advises the Master & Deck Officers. Even in areas of the World with compulsary pilotage, the Master or a Deck Officer can over-rule the pilot.

On boarding, the Master & Pilot exchange information regarding the ship's handling characteristics and agree a passage plan. The Pilot will normally have the con and is monitored by the Master and/or Deck Officers. If the Pilot deviates from the plan, or stands the ship into danger, s/he should be challenged for a response. If the Master, or in his/her absence the Senior Deck Officer (SOOW) believes the ship is in danger, the SOOW can and must over-rule the pilot, taking action to ensure the safety of the vessel. A Deck Officer must call the Master immediately.

In these situations, a pilot error resulting in an incident is still the responsibility of the Master. It is best described with how we used to make log book entries - Courses & speeds various to pilot's advice and Master's orders. The pilot may be conning the vessel, but it is still at the Master's Orders.

In the Panama Canal, the Master relinquishes legal responsibility for the safe navigation of the vessel to the local canal pilots. On many cruise ships, you may see the Canal Pilot hand the ship back to the Captain to do the actual approach into the locks, through the locks and the exit. This is because the Canal Pilots have less experience than the Masters in handling that type of propulsion. Regardless of who is actually on the controls, in the Canal, the Pilot is responsible.

Contary to a previous post, while the ships do use tugs/mules, but at least in the old locks they certainly don't pull the ships through the locks. Especially Panamax size ships. No way they could supply sufficient mules to pull the ship against the wall of water that develops at the head of the lock. As a 40,000 ton ship enters a lock, it must displace an equal volume of water, which has less than a foot either side and a few feet under the keel. On SS Oriana, we were pushing in at 1/2 ahead until just before the end. No amount of mules could develop that power requirement. The mules help keep us centred when adjusting the water levels. Mind you on smaller ships they would be more of an assist. 

The other consideration in reviewing these types of incidents. Based on the ship's Safety Management System, after an incident, they will conduct a fact finding investigation to determine the causes, so as to hopefully improve procedures and prevent another occurrence. Only when actions are deemed culpable would blame and disciplinary action be contemplated.

Hope this assists in clarifying the situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just off the ship and waiting at my gate at FLL for my 11 am flight. 

Disembarkation was very quick and easy. I was in the first group after the self walk offs. Easy face scan and off to the taxi stand. It looked like they had several lanes open so hopefully for the later groups it was just as easy. 

Princess did a great job (except the app😂). I completed my post cruise survey sitting here at the gate. The app was my only criticism. Several times it froze up and I had to delete and reinstall it.

Was everything perfect no, but it was the reaction of the crew when something went wrong that counts. 

The Panama Canal excursion that returned late, that was in no way Princess’s fault, was fully refunded. When checking my statement yesterday I noticed a goodwill credit in the amount of the excursion price. This was completely unnecessary. They left a note in my cabin at the beginning of the cruise explaining to bring water etc that it could be a long day. We were at the mercy of the canal rules and authorities.

Again it’s how one reacts when something doesn’t go right. 

My next cruise is on the Emerald as well in 6 months for the British Isles. I’m already counting down. I can’t wait to be back on  board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Off the ship and on our way.  Picked up a rental car at the airport.

We ate in Clubclass dining the first night but opted to have our remaining meals  with our family ( we had previously made dining reservations to eat with them)

Biggest complaint.. all the game shows were held at 10 pm. 

That and they made us get off this morning

I tried posting during the  cruise but my phone would not play nice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, puggymom said:

Disembarkation was very quick and easy. I was in the first group after the self walk offs. Easy face scan and off to the taxi stand. It looked like they had several lanes open so hopefully for the later groups it was just as easy. 

Princess did a great job (except the app😂). I completed my post cruise survey sitting here at the gate. The app was my only criticism. Several times it froze up and I had to delete and reinstall it.

Was everything perfect no, but it was the reaction of the crew when something went wrong that counts. 

The Panama Canal excursion that returned late, that was in no way Princess’s fault, was fully refunded. When checking my statement yesterday I noticed a goodwill credit in the amount of the excursion price. This was completely unnecessary. They left a note in my cabin at the beginning of the cruise explaining to bring water etc that it could be a long day. We were at the mercy of the canal rules and authorities.

My next cruise is on the Emerald as well in 6 months for the British Isles. I’m already counting down. I can’t wait to be back on  board. 

Thanks for all your posts onboard, it was great to follow along

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:20 AM, abqmommyof4 said:

Off the ship and on our way.  Picked up a rental car at the airport.

We ate in Clubclass dining the first night but opted to have our remaining meals  with our family ( we had previously made dining reservations to eat with them)

Biggest complaint.. all the game shows were held at 10 pm. 

That and they made us get off this morning

I tried posting during the  cruise but my phone would not play nice

I agree with you regarding the game shows.  I don't think I've made it to more than a handful over the course of many years.  Maybe the next time.  I hear they can be quite entertaining.  

On 11/16/2021 at 9:49 AM, puggymom said:

I agree, the disembarkation was a breeze. Adding the facial scan at the GE lanes was a big help getting through customs.

There is a simple work around for the app locking up without having to delete the app and downloading again while we were on the ship which we found by talking to the MedallionClass person on deck 7.  Most of the lockups occurred when trying to get into future bookings on the app while being on a current booking.  This is being addressed.

We'll see you on the Emerald if you are on the April 16 to May 9 bookings.  Some of the familiar faces we saw on the Emerald Nov.6 voyage will be on holiday, but many will be there to great us again.

In the meantime, we have two other bookings before that.  One on the Sky and the other on the Enchanted.

8 hours ago, Grego said:

I agree, the disembarkation was a breeze. Adding the facial scan at the GE lanes was a big help getting through customs.

There is a simple work around for the app locking up without having to delete the app and downloading again while we were on the ship which we found by talking to the MedallionClass person on deck 7.  Most of the lockups occurred when trying to get into future bookings on the app while being on a current booking.  This is being addressed.

We'll see you on the Emerald if you are on the April 16 to May 9 bookings.  Some of the familiar faces we saw on the Emerald Nov.6 voyage will be on holiday, but many will be there to great us again.

In the meantime, we have two other bookings before that.  One on the Sky and the other on the Enchanted.

I’m on the May21st sailing 

The freezing up issues I had weren’t future sailings. One was looking at my current onboard statement, another was checking specialty dining reservations and my favorite one was ordering lunch on deck. I wasn’t sure if it went through and was reinstalling the app to see what the status was.  Sanctuary team member came over and asked if I meant to order 3 chicken sandwiches. He got a call to confirm my order. I explained that I wanted 1 but the app froze. I started to ask about the Diet Coke I ordered and with that 3 diet Coke’s arrived. We all a good laugh.