The Daily for Thursday November 11, 2021

richwmn

27 minutes ago, dfish said:

The pictures of Geiranger remind me of a movie I watched on Netflix.  It is called The Wave and is the first Norwegian disaster film.  It is about a tsunami hitting Gerianger.   It must have been somewhat good as it held my attention.   I think it was the picture of the hotel that did it as the hotel if featured in the film.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(2015_film)

Thanks Debbie, I just added it to my Netflix!

• Like 10

I just had word that a dear cousin in Virginia has died.  His daughters have not decided whether/how to tell his widow, as she has memory loss.  For many years when we lived nearby we spent all the holidays together, and our children grew up together.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 11

Just now, Vict0riann said:

I just had word that a dear cousin in Virginia has died.  His daughters have not decided whether/how to tell his widow, as she has memory loss.  For many years when we lived nearby we spent all the holidays together, and our children grew up together.  

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this; may God bless your dear cousin and all who loved him.

• Like 13

Good afternoon.  I started reading the Daily early this moring, then our internet began acting up. That's when I started cleaning house, so I won't have to worry about it for a few days when we get back in December.

I honor all veterans.  I also remember before the name was changed to Verterans Day, we celebrated Armistice Day, which is what this day is called in France and many other European countries. 

My grandfather, father, DFIL and DH all served in the Navy or Army.  DFIL was statoned in Guam toward the end of WWII, while my father was  a general's aide at Camp Butner in NC, and Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio.  This is one of only two pictures of my father in uniform.  He is the very serious officer with the note pad in the right of the picture, and part of his duties was public reations.  I can only identify one other officer.  

jpeg031.thumb.jpg.6431bc4d98432c4b218ed0b58bc892be.jpg

Today would also be my mother's 110th birthday.  

The other days are also worth celebrating.  The past 18+months have been hard on many singles, and happily, some have found friends and comfort on the Daily.  

I had to smile at the David Lee Roth quote.

We'll pass on the food and the drink.  Like many others, why ruin a perfectly good sandwich by turning it into a drink.  We've had the wine on many BHBs.

In 2005 while on the Marco Polo, we visited Geiranger.  I shared my pictures when Geiranger Fjord was the port.  I'm enjoying all the pictures today.  Thank you to all who posted.

Last night, we finally got our cabin assignments.  We will have to change cabins once, but it's no big deal.  The health assessment form is filled out, and we will get our covid test tomorrow afternoon.  🤞 for a negative (failing) test.

@cunnorl  We watched the launch last night, and it was spectacular.

@cat shepard  Great news that you friend is feeling better and you got to have a nice visit.  Sending good thoughts for her oncologist visit today.

@rafinmd  Glad the first treatment went well, and sending positive thoughts that the others are just as easy and with little or no side effects.

@TiogaCruiser  Enjoy your visit with your father.  I loved the origami penguins.

@Vict0riann  Sorry about your cousin's death.  You have our condolences.  

@RSWBADGER Welcom to the Daily.  Your will find we are a very friendly and supposrtive group.

@bennybear  Thank  you for the picture of the troops coming home on the Queen Elizabeth.

@lazey1  Jane, I'm glad Kakalena could have her MRI today.  Sending good thoughts that the cancer has not spread to her brain.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

OK, I'm back.  Going to do some other things before I will post more but the session went pretty well.  Pretty much every day, Mon-Fri until Christmas. 

Glad to hear it went pretty well, Roy (not sure how well any chemo can go).

That’s a heavy schedule on your chemo.  Take care of yourself.  It can take a toll.

3 hours ago, RSWBADGER said:

Eurodam ETA Fort Lauderdale November 14, 2021. Sailing November 16, 2021, 8 days to Panama Canal.😃

Scheduled 11/14/2021 04:00 ARR EURODAM

8-DAY PANAMA CANAL SUNFARER

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

59 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

OH my dear Ann, I am so very sorry to hear this 😢 Our deepest condolences to you, and his family.  How difficult for his daughters with their mother’s memory loss 💔 

Our prayers for you, your cousin and his family 🙏🏻 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm really sorry to hear your sad news Ann.

Prayers 🙏 and condolences to all the family.

Graham.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

Glad to hear it went pretty well, Roy (not sure how well any chemo can go).

That’s a heavy schedule on your chemo.  Take care of yourself.  It can take a toll

@kazu Roy is receiving  radiation  therapy . For his treatment  it is usual  to give small doses  daily for several  weeks  to minimize  side effects  and long term complications  in the surrounding  tissues. Any  treatment  related  side effects  should  be local and easily  managed. Towards  the  end of the treatment  course  some tiredness  is expected . Driving  to  the  treatment  center  every  day is also tiring after a while. 

Wishing  Roy best wishes  and a happier  and healthier  2022. Miss those trip reports!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Sea Viewer said:

@kazu Roy is receiving  radiation  therapy . For his treatment  it is usual  to give small doses  daily for several  weeks  to minimize  side effects  and long term complications  in the surrounding  tissues. Any  treatment  related  side effects  should  be local and easily  managed. Towards  the  end of the treatment  course  some tiredness  is expected . Driving  to  the  treatment  center  every  day is also tiring after a while. 

Wishing  Roy best wishes  and a happier  and healthier  2022. Miss those trip reports!

Oh sorry I used the wrong word.  Mea culpa.  😳 

• Like 10

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

A big salute to all Veterans in the US, UK, Canada and other countries. A single here; it's been tough during the pandemic, especially with having no family. Thank goodness for the Daily! Origami is beautiful.

Funny quote.

I'll pass on the pate and on the drink. I'll always say yes to Champagne.

I have never been to Norway. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures.

It's cloudy but warm here; the last of the warm days. I ran to the big box store this AM while it wouldn't be crowded. Then stopped at my local grocery store pharmacy and got my first Shingrix shot. So far just a sore arm and feeling a little chilly, so sipping tea.

@rafinmd Glad the session went well today and I hope that continues. Stressful schedule though.

@cat shepard It's good to hear that your friend is doing better. Continued prayers.

@ger_77 Yikes on the snow! Seems early for that, but maybe not where you live.

@Cruising-alongI'm glad you were able to attend the memorial service. Also hoping that all went well with DH's surgery.

@grapau27 Thanks for the pictures from Mijas Pueblo.

@lazey1 Prayers for Kakalena that her MRI shows no brain mets.

@Vict0riann Condolences on the loss of your dear cousin. 

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Our 91 year old neighbor just finished 4 weeks of radiation treatments for a breast cancer issue.

Other than a little more tired , she seems the same.  We were very encouraged!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, dfish said:

The pictures of Geiranger remind me of a movie I watched on Netflix.  It is called The Wave and is the first Norwegian disaster film.  It is about a tsunami hitting Gerianger.   It must have been somewhat good as it held my attention.   I think it was the picture of the hotel that did it as the hotel if featured in the film.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave_(2015_film)

I also found it on Amazon Prime (with English subtitles). It’s on my watchlist. 😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As already said, I am starting radiation for my long standing prostate cancer.  I've had 25 pretty good years since the original diagnosis and prostatectomy, but my PSA has been rising recently and my Oncologist ordered a PET scan in August.  They found a small nodule that we plan to attack with radiation.  The nodule is right next to my bowel and the plan is to do the job in many small doses rather than a few big ones to minimize the collateral damage.  My first treatment was today, and it will continue pretty much Monday to Friday to December 23. The exceptions are Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving week but I have an additional treatment the Sunday of that week.  Most treatments will be 9AM and I will be out within an hour but there will be exceptions at the beginning as others are ahead of me in that time slot (tomorrow is 3:45) and I have a few of my own conflicts I will need to work out with them.

My treatment this morning went pretty easily.  I met with the doctor and the nurse afterwards and they indicated there may be few if any side effects, especially the first 2 or 3 weeks.  I am hopeful it will work out that way.

I don't think I have any special needs (except prayers) at this time but I will update if that changes.

Roy
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

As already said, I am starting radiation for my long standing prostate cancer.  I've had 25 pretty good years since the original diagnosis and prostatectomy, but my PSA has been rising recently and my Oncologist ordered a PET scan in August.  They found a small nodule that we plan to attack with radiation.  The nodule is right next to my bowel and the plan is to do the job in many small doses rather than a few big ones to minimize the collateral damage.  My first treatment was today, and it will continue pretty much Monday to Friday to December 23. The exceptions are Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving week but I have an additional treatment the Sunday of that week.  Most treatments will be 9AM and I will be out within an hour but there will be exceptions at the beginning as others are ahead of me in that time slot (tomorrow is 3:45) and I have a few of my own conflicts I will need to work out with them.

My treatment this morning went pretty easily.  I met with the doctor and the nurse afterwards and they indicated there may be few if any side effects, especially the first 2 or 3 weeks.  I am hopeful it will work out that way.

I don't think I have any special needs (except prayers) at this time but I will update if that changes.

Roy

Thank you for explaining your treatment Roy.

Our prayers 🙏 are sent your way for successful radiation treatment to get rid of the nodule with no side affects.

Very best wishes.

Graham and Pauline.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I'm glad you were able to attend the memorial service. Also hoping that all went well with DH's surgery.

Thank you so much, Vanessa.  I'm glad I could go too, it was good to see the other cousins, her siblings. 

DH is doing well, and today was much better when it came time to pick him up.  I think it helped a lot that he told "anyone and everyone" about the problems last week! 😉

@Vict0riannI'm so sorry to hear that you also lost a dear cousin recently.  I was horrified to see that earlier I mistakenly put a laughing emoji, I meant to put a thank-you emoji.   I don't know how that happened, I'm so sorry. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Glad to hear that the scheduling will work out for you, and that you get a 4 day weekend over Thanksgiving.

🙏🙏 on the way..

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1