The Daily for Saturday November 13, 2021

richwmn

@AncientWanderer  Thank you!   The amount of sugar in that recipe would put me in a coma.  I could have a bite or two.  

@smitty34877 Oh my gosh!   Miss Camilla is such a cutie!

@USN59-79  Kidney stones are excruciating!   I've had two and was reduced to crawling because it was too painful to stand up and walk.  With the second one I spent one night rolling on the family room floor in pain.  I was trying to avoid the ER due to costs.  That one took two weeks to pass.  I hope yours is a little quicker than mine was.   

@lazey1 I'm happy to read that the new antibiotic is helping.  May it continue to do so!

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

I would be very interested in seeing recipes for both of these side dishes. 

No Thanksgiving cooking for us this year - we subcontracted the chefs on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

Me, too!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this would apply to anybody but @kazubut if anyone gets an email purportedly from me asking for anything it is a fake.  I've probably spent about 2 hours today undoing the damage they did to the account, including changing the "reply to" address to go to them.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 12

11 hours ago, dfish said:

I have a question for all of you.  What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?  Mine is my mom's stuffing with gravy. 

Great question!

Mine is the sausage cornbread stuffing I make based upon my DM’s original recipe, which is really almost identical to the Jimmy Dean recipe you see in magazine ads. I just use more butter and fresh herbs and add an egg. My DM has always said that the butter is the key. 

• Like 14

10 hours ago, irishjim said:

Please add  my  wife Sheila          back to  your care list and prayers. she was  kept  in  hospital  to  get  her  stronger so she could come home and  was doing good then yesterday  she had  a setback and was  having 

problems with  her  heart speeding up and and she is being well  looked  after and hope they can sort this out soon.

Jim.

Prayers for Sheila coming your way. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Another busy day on the daily thread, thanks for all the information,photos,  humour and recipes.

I don't believe that the daily is a clique, it's good when new there are new posters.

Caregivers day should be everyday.

@lazey1 hope the new antibiotic continues to work well for you.

@smitty34877thanks for sharing the new photo of Camilla.

@bdrcole Congratulations to Malcolm with his fund raising skills.

@irishjim hope Sheila continues to improve.  How are you now?

@USN59-79 sorry that you have kidney stones, hope they pass easily.

A big Bon Voyage to @Quartzsite Cruiser.

A grey day here, have had lots of rain, temperature 12C, more rain forecast.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

A BIG thank you to @kazu and @dfish appreciate your multiquoting today.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@USN59-79,kidney stones are terrifically painful and I hope yours gets treated soon.

@Quartzsite Cruiser,Bon Voyage,I hope you have a wonderful time!

We got a new picture  today of Camilla who lost her long hair and now has fuzzy hair just on top. She so has my DN's unibrow which cracks us up!

6118.jpeg

Ooh Terry! Just precious!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, irishjim said:

LEARNED ON TONIGHTS VISIT Sheilas heart beat is getting better.

Jim.

Wonderful news!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Another busy day on the daily thread, thanks for all the information,photos,  humour and recipes.

I don't believe that the daily is a clique, it's good when new there are new posters.

Irish Jim here and I am very good. Thank you for asking. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

That and my homemade cranberry orange sauce.  I started bringing that after watching my MIL open a tin of *cranberry jelly and put slices of it in a dish for serving.  😝

*With apologies to those who enjoy sliced tinned cranberry jelly.  No offense intended. 😊

I used to make my own cranberry sauce until I found Trader Joe’s jarred sauce. It’s so good!  It’s a nice mix of whole and crushed cranberries with lots of saucy-ness. I can’t eat a bite of Turkey without it. 

• Like 10

Good evening!  I really enjoyed reading the Daily today. And welcome to all the lurkers who read but don’t post. It’s been wonderful getting to know everyone here and hope more will start posting. 

All of the recipes everyone shared today look wonderful. I saved Maxine’s @AncientWanderer!  My DM, DD and I are the only ones who eat the sweet potato casserole and I think they will love the addition of the bourbon. 

Bon Voyage Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser!  Have a great cruise!  ⛴

Rich @richwmnand Joy @Seasick Sailor, can you both email me about our upcoming cruise?  (I already have Linda’s @lindaler’s email). My email is in my signature. Thank you!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Thank you to all of you for your kind thoughts and wishes yesterday. The new antibiotic, (Amoxik Clav) seems to be helping a lot, also helpful, Dr. increased the Prednisone from 10 mg to 30 mg per day. I am hopeful that I won't have to go to Urgent Care tomorrow.

Jane

That is really good news that the new antibiotic and the increased Prednisone dosage seem to helping a  lot.  Sending good thoughts that you don't have to visit the Urgent Care tomorrow.

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We got a new picture  today of Camilla who lost her long hair and now has fuzzy hair just on top. She so has my DN's unibrow which cracks us up!

6118.jpeg

Camilla is still a cutie, even if she seems serious.  She must be trying to figure out this big world.

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Have a great cruise @Quartzsite CruiserLenda.  The weather is beautiful here in San Diego.  You should have a nice sail away.  Wish we were onboard with you!

Thank you.  The forecast for San Diego looked good this morning.  It will be warmer at sailaway than I remember.

2 hours ago, irishjim said:

LEARNED ON TONIGHTS VISIT Sheilas heart beat is getting better.

Jim.

Jim, that's great news.  Sending good thoughts for continued improvement and a homecoming soon.

2 hours ago, JAM37 said:

My Mom's cornbread dressing.

I agree that cornbread dressing, especially our moms' is the best.  When we have a neighborhood Thanksgiving dinner, they always ask me to bring the cornbread dressing.  I've tired the ones the neighbors from the north bring, and they are good, but not southern cornbread dressing.  

YUM!

33 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Bon Voyage Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser!  Have a great cruise!  ⛴

Thank you.   Any day on a BHB is a good day and makes a great cruise.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for the Bon Woyage wishes.  Some how, your post disappeared from the multi-quote above.

Lenda

• Like 4

@Overhead Fred and @dfish here are the recipes for the side dishes.  Neither of them are calorie or carb friendly, but then we don't have them often.  The broccoli-onion casserole is a recipe I found in at Better Homes and Garden cookbook 50+ years ago.  The corn casserole is a recipe a firend of my parents gave me.  I use canned green chilis, but you can use jalapenos if you want a very spicey casserole, and for the non-spicey eaters you can leave the chilis out.  I also add the juice from the canned chilis.

I usually use white or mixed forzen corn and add it to the sauce while it is still frozen.  The one time I used canned shoepeg corn, it turned out very runny.  I've found a half recipe of the sauce works,  I just add the corn until I think the corn-sauce ratio is about right.

CORN CASSEROLE

white shoe peg corn                           3 T flour

1 c chopped chili peppers                   1 c milk

1½ sticks butter                                  salt

2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese.

Dissolve cream cheese and butter over hot water or in saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add milk, flour, salt and mix.  Add finely chopped peppers.  Stir in enough corn so that there is not an excess of sauce.  Bake in 9x3 casserole in 350oF oven until well heated.

BROCCOLI-ONION DELUXE

1 lb. fresh broccoli or 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli florets

2 c frozen whole small onions or 3 med onions, quartered

4 T butter                                               2 T flour

1 c milk                                                  3 oz. cream cheese

1 oz. sharp cheese, shredded                1 c bread crumbs

Advance preparation:  Slit fresh broccoli spears lengthwise; cut into 1 inch pieces.  Cook in boiling, salted water till tender. (Or cook frozen broccoli according to package directions.)  Drain.  Cook onions in boiling, salted water till tender; drain. 

If using small whole onions, blanche them in boiling water for three minutes, and drain.  Cut off the root end of the onion and remove the outer skin. 

In saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter; blend in flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, and dash pepper.  Add milk; cook and stir till thick and bubbly.  Reduce heat; blend in cream cheese till smooth.  Place vegetables in 1½ quart  casserole.  Pour sauce over; mix lightly.  Top with cheese; cover and chill.  Melt remaining butter; toss with crumbs.  Cover; chill.

Before serving:  Bake casserole, covered, at 350oF for 30 minutes.  Sprinkle crumbs around edge; bake uncovered, till heated through, about 30 minutes more. You can cover the top with the bread crumbs.

Hope you enjoy them.  They are easy to make anc can be made ahead of time.  Our older DD and DSIL often take these dishes to office parties.  They've reported that when a party is planned, they are asked if they are bringing one of these dishes.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, dfish said:

I take it you then put them in the oven and roast them after they've been parboiled and scored?  Any seasoning?

Yes, after par-boiling and scoring they go in the hot, pre-heated oil in the oven. Sometimes I kind of rough them up a little (gently shake) instead of scoring. The trick is to not let them cool too long as they will develop a thin outer layer which won’t absorb the fat properly.  If I’m using the tin in which I’ve roasted the meat ( and drained off most of the juices for gravy) then no seasoning is needed because they’ll absorb some of that. If no roasting juices then season (s&p) as soon as they come out of the oven so it sticks to the potatoes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, dfish said:

This made me laugh.  I have a brother who will only eat the stuff that has the lines on it from the can.  One of guests this year only likes that variety as well.  Fine with me as I don't care for it to begin with as there is too much sugar.  But, if I had to eat it, I want the orange in it.  

I laughed at “the lines” because that was a vivid memory!  And I agree. Too much sugar!  After zesting the orange into the cranberries I squeeze the juice in there also. Actually, I squeeze the juice into a measuring cup then top it up to 1 cup and add to the cranberries. Then I add about a third of a cup of sugar as you need some to help it gel. Is this too much info?  😂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Great Grandma Danielson’s dressing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish. Throughout the years, DH has added to the rather plain recipe (if at home I would include it!) as the family gatherings have grown. The best times are when 2 turkeys are prepared, one with the original recipe, the other with added sausages (some mild, some spicy!), onions, chives, & garlic. DM (101 and 1/2 years old) still prepares the homemade cranberries for her contribution to the feast! This year we were able to donate our two turkeys to our local Elks Club for a Veterans Home as we will be onboard a ship on Thanksgiving Day. Looking forward to the ship’s Thanksgiving menu! 🦃

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thought I'd check back while taking a little break.  We are almost packed except for what we'll need in the morning.  Now, it's just the little odds and ends, and we'll be done for today.  For us, we are packing light, with just one big suitcase each and so far, one rolling carry-on.  

My mother used to make cranberry-orange sauce with whole cranberries, and I think pecans.  I never liked it.  Maybe that's why DH and I like the canned jellied sauce.  I never claimed to be a gormet.  😀

We never had potatoes at Thanksgiving or Christmas with our turkey.  In fact, until we lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, we didn't know they were served with turkey.  For side dishes, I have a broccoli-onion casserole, a corn with green chilis casserole or the green bean casserole.  They can all be made a day or two ahead.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for the do-ahead potato recipe.  That sounds like one that everyone might like.  I like twice baked potatoes, but do not like trying to fill the hot, floppy potato skins.

Lenda

Wishing you both an absolutely fantastic cruise Lenda.

Graham 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, after par-boiling and scoring they go in the hot, pre-heated oil in the oven. Sometimes I kind of rough them up a little (gently shake) instead of scoring. The trick is to not let them cool too long as they will develop a thin outer layer which won’t absorb the fat properly.  If I’m using the tin in which I’ve roasted the meat ( and drained off most of the juices for gravy) then no seasoning is needed because they’ll absorb some of that. If no roasting juices then season (s&p) as soon as they come out of the oven so it sticks to the potatoes. 

They sound really good.

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I laughed at “the lines” because that was a vivid memory!  And I agree. Too much sugar!  After zesting the orange into the cranberries I squeeze the juice in there also. Actually, I squeeze the juice into a measuring cup then top it up to 1 cup and add to the cranberries. Then I add about a third of a cup of sugar as you need some to help it gel. Is this too much info?  😂

Not at all.  I will file this away for the times when I do the majority of the cooking and people want real cranberry sauce.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

here are the recipes for the side dishes.  Neither of them are calorie or carb friendly, but then we don't have them often.  The broccoli-onion casserole is a recipe I found in at Better Homes and Garden cookbook 50+ years ago.  The corn casserole is a recipe a firend of my parents gave me.  I use canned green chilis, but you can use jalapenos if you want a very spicey casserole, and for the non-spicey eaters you can leave the chilis out.  I also add the juice from the canned chilis.

Thank you so much!   Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3