Paying onboard for upgrade

jenndisney

29 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Have three inside cabins on the 10 and 20 Dec Enchanted.  Still assigned to them and not expecting an upgrade/upsell on any of them.  We are getting what we paid for and just happy to be cruising again.

Hi Tina,

a few days before our cruise in October I noticed there were a huge amount of Mini suites available. We had a balcony. I emailed the Upsell dept and asked for Mini, paid for it ,for two cruises (B2B).

When I got on the ship, there were huge lines of people asking and getting free upgrades for something I paid a total of $800 for and it did bother me. I felt good that I had picked my mini but didn't realize how many people not only got it free the day of the cruise , but others said they got the mini as a free upgrade a few days before.   With all the cruises we have taken with Princess, wondered why we didn't get a free offer prior to the cruise. Lots were people that went from insides.

My travel agent was angry that people were getting it for free. She knew this was happening, in fact she was on our cruise with friends and they  all had mini suites(said they all paid for theirs)She had been on a prior ship for a month and it was common knowledge that it happened on that ship too.

In normal times this would not be happening. Ships would be sailing full. Cabins wouldn't be set aside for isolation cabins for Covid.

I too, was just glad to be able to sail again. We enjoyed our cruises and are looking forward to cruising again soon in the future.

• Like 1

My bookings came with a free upgrade if available which I asked to decline since we have two cabins next to one another and this could split us up. I do plan to go to guest services and ask about an upgrade when I board because then we could make sure if upgraded we would be together if this option available. If not we are fine with the rooms we paid for.

21 minutes ago, Micklest said:

How does one find out how many cabins are still available? I'm a novice, obviously.

You do what’s called a MOCK booking. You go onto the Princess site for cruise like your going to make a booking & you’ll see what staterooms are available. 

Try this & let us know if this works. 

I’m on a cruise where in a higher category their are plenty of staterooms unsold so I have an idea of what’s left. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

Hi Tina,

a few days before our cruise in October I noticed there were a huge amount of Mini suites available. We had a balcony. I emailed the Upsell dept and asked for Mini, paid for it ,for two cruises (B2B).

When I got on the ship, there were huge lines of people asking and getting free upgrades for something I paid a total of $800 for and it did bother me. I felt good that I had picked my mini but didn't realize how many people not only got it free the day of the cruise , but others said they got the mini as a free upgrade a few days before.   With all the cruises we have taken with Princess, wondered why we didn't get a free offer prior to the cruise. Lots were people that went from insides.

My travel agent was angry that people were getting it for free. She knew this was happening, in fact she was on our cruise with friends and they  all had mini suites(said they all paid for theirs)She had been on a prior ship for a month and it was common knowledge that it happened on that ship too.

In normal times this would not be happening. Ships would be sailing full. Cabins wouldn't be set aside for isolation cabins for Covid.

I too, was just glad to be able to sail again. We enjoyed our cruises and are looking forward to cruising again soon in the future.

How does one email the 'upsell department'?  Or who does one call to inquire about possible upgades?  We are not booked thru a TA. Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, wesport said:

Why doesn’t Princess just sell upsells at embarkation for a nominal amount rather than giving them away for free. I will shy away from the feeding frenzy to get something for free. 

Not sure this "empowerment" enjoyed by the Passenger Svc people will last much longer.

Indeed, for Princess to give away what they could charge for might be a sign that, even at 30% occupancy, they are doing very well financially.  

14 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

A few days before I checked the inventory of available cabins. There were 100 balconies, and 195 minis available.

Just checked my cruise 9 days from now. A few hundred minis available. We have a great Aft Balcony Deluxe but would love to try a mini. This may be the opportunity..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wesport said:

Why doesn’t Princess just sell upsells at embarkation for a nominal amount rather than giving them away for free. I will shy away from the feeding frenzy to get something for free. 

Because it's an excellent way to make up for those of us who've had a terrible time trying to get the app to work pre-cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Hi Tina,

Hi Gloria, I would have thought that everyone would have eventually received some sort of upgrade considering how many cabins are supposedly empty.  But sailing is great no matter where you sleep.  Hope y'all have been well and missed all the bad stuff.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

What difference is it if the ship sails with empty inside cabins, or empty balconies. It costs the company nothing, and it's a wonderful way to reward those who are willing to sail under the current conditions. Even with offering 50% discounts for first responders, they are having a hard time filling cabins, so why not take care of those customers who are willing to sail? It doesn't cheapen the brand, it only cheapens the value of your balcony/mini, if that's what you paid for.

I predicted on this forum many months before sailing resumed that they would move folks from insides to balconies. I'm sorry if you feel ripped off or cheapened. I for one don't worry about what the other guy gets or doesn't get.

It does cheapen the brand because Princess is taking one group of passengers who have supported them by paying full price for premium cabins and then allowing people who paid little or nothing to have the same cabin at no or nominal cost.  

At least with most of the major airlines, hotels, and rental car companies there is a very systematic system on how upgrades are handled and it is based on status and spend.  Princess needs an easily understood system if upgrades are available how they will be distributed and cost so passengers have some sense of fairness.  Also, if upgrades are being given then some kind of refund needs to be given to those who paid full price.

If I paid for a suite and then Princess gives someone who paid for an inside cabin an identical suite there is not way I would be happy.  One customer will be happy and one customer will be leaving Princess.  If Princess looses enough customers who are willing to pay full price the brand will eventually be cheapened even more than it already has become in so many different ways.   

It is just one more example of the way the culture of entitlement is reinforced.....thanks Princess!!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wesport said:

So, if I paid for a balcony, and someone can just ask for a free upgrade on embarkation day from an inside to a balcony, it really cheapens the brand.

And what if you get an upgrade to a mini while that inside guest gets your balcony?  I think this is a short-lived phenomenon until the ships are full again.

We thought about going to Guest Services on embarkation day to see if we could get a free upgrade when we on the Majestic.   We had checked into the cost of an upsell before cruising and decided against it.  When we boarded Guest Services was packed due to changes in our itinerary due to weather.  We were on the last Alaska cruise in September.  We decided to skip asking and start enjoying the cruise which we totally did.  We heard that others asked for and received upgrades but felt happy for them.  It didn't  impact our great time.  And we didn't ask so why be upset.  Next time if we ask and get an upgrade, great.  If we ask and are told no we are still getting the cabin we decided on for a price we felt comfortable with.  Nothing in life is what we might look at as fair.  Why would I expect for it to be on vacation?  And if I don't ask the answer will always be no.  

Edited by Sea Emerald
  • Like 6

This is going to be a short lived phenomenon.  In the old days they often gave free upgrades to first timers hoping they would enjoy the balcony or mini suite so much they would pay for them in the future.  We used to do up sells from mini suite to full suite and now almost always book full suites.  If people are thinking they can book an inside for spring or summer 2022 and expect an automatic upgrade then I think they will be extremely disappointed.  

• Like 1

I am in a suite in 3 weeks. I couldn’t care less if someone paid for an inside cabin and got the suite next to mine. I’ve known for a year that I’m in a suite. I’ve been able to look online and see videos of my exact cabin and planning all the things I am going to do on the huge balcony. I’ve been excited about this cruise and counting the days until I walk into my suite. None of that experience is diminished because someone just got an upgrade that they just found out about an hour before. We all paid different prices for our identical cabins anyway depending on when we bought it and who we bought it from. 

• Like 4

We booked the cabin that we'll be happy with (a Club Class mini). There was no way that I was going to risk booking an inside or window and HOPE that I could get a free upgrade. If someone gets a free upgrade to the one next to us, they rolled the dice and won; I'm not comfy rolling the dice and risking not getting a cabin that I won't be happy with.🥂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

At least with most of the major airlines, hotels, and rental car companies there is a very systematic system on how upgrades are handled and it is based on status and spend.  Princess needs an easily understood system if upgrades are available how they will be distributed and cost so passengers have some sense of fairness.  Also, if upgrades are being given then some kind of refund needs to be given to those who paid full price.

Every time you fly, stay in a hotel, or rent a car,  there will be folks who have paid more than you, and folks who paid less than you for the exact same accommodations. Neither one will give you a refund.

As for Princess having a system regarding upgrades, maybe they do, and we're not privy to the details.

I had actually emailed the upsell department at Princess prior to our sail date requesting an upsell.  I was told that there were no upsells available at the time for my cruise but to check with guest services upon boarding.  I asked and was given a free upgrade.

Of course it could have been because the toilet was not working and had overflowed in our interior cabin……

We book and pay for our cabins based on what we want to pay for a particular cruise. Currently we have 7 cruises booked with cabins ranging from interior to balconies to mini suites.  I have been offered free upgrades that I’ve declined as well as paid for upsells.  Just depends on the cruise and/or price.  We are happy to cruise in the cabin we booked.  Do like the visits from upgrade fairy though!

Sorry, no sense of ‘entitlement’ in requesting an upgrade.  Just a sense of awareness that Princess (and other cruise lines) offer this service.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jwattle said:

We booked the cabin that we'll be happy with (a Club Class mini). There was no way that I was going to risk booking an inside or window and HOPE that I could get a free upgrade. If someone gets a free upgrade to the one next to us, they rolled the dice and won; I'm not comfy rolling the dice and risking not getting a cabin that I won't be happy with.🥂

I agree with you. I knew that people were asking for upgrades in advance(on another ship) but I wanted  the mini at the location I chose and gladly paid for it (a few days before we sailed). We had initially booked a balcony but after two years of not cruising I felt we deserved the Mini.We have always booked cabins that make us happy and have never counted on getting anything for free. In 72 Princess

cruises, that has never happened for us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

You do what’s called a MOCK booking. You go onto the Princess site for cruise like your going to make a booking & you’ll see what staterooms are available. 

Try this & let us know if this works. 

I’m on a cruise where in a higher category their are plenty of staterooms unsold so I have an idea of what’s left. 

Tom😀

How would you know which ones are blocked due to saving for isolation cabins and/or just blocked due to lower capacity?

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

I had actually emailed the upsell department at Princess prior to our sail date requesting an upsell.  I was told that there were no upsells available at the time for my cruise but to check with guest services upon boarding.  I asked and was given a free upgrade.

Of course it could have been because the toilet was not working and had overflowed in our interior cabin……

We book and pay for our cabins based on what we want to pay for a particular cruise. Currently we have 7 cruises booked with cabins ranging from interior to balconies to mini suites.  I have been offered free upgrades that I’ve declined as well as paid for upsells.  Just depends on the cruise and/or price.  We are happy to cruise in the cabin we booked.  Do like the visits from upgrade fairy though!

Sorry, no sense of ‘entitlement’ in requesting an upgrade.  Just a sense of awareness that Princess (and other cruise lines) offer this service.

Upsell department?