Panama Canal Cruise Advice

jlnprt

We are booked for a 14 day Panama Canal cruise in January. I would love to have some recommendations for excursions (Cartegena, Puerto Caldera, Corinto, Puerto Quetzal, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta). I checked the port board and the roll call board, but there's not much information there. All of these ports are new to us, so I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Many thanks!!

I have done that cruise twice, pre-Covid. I'm speaking from my own experience and maybe other cruisers have completely other opinions. Some of those particular ports, well, the ship should have just sailed passed. The comedian in the evening even made serveral jokes about one particular stop, and said "what were they thinking when they took us here?". I'm a happy cruiser and always find a way to have a great time, no matter what, but really, docking amid garbage filled waters and being exposed to extreme povery on a pleasure cruise is just shocking. I hope things have changed, and you a have much better experience than I had. Please do your research!

Edited by BobbiSox
typos
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I would do a lot of research on Corinto before deciding what to do there.  One of my least favorite ports ever.  YMMV

I agree, one of our worst ports ever.  About the only thing to do there is go to Leon and that’s underwhelming.

• Like 1

This isn’t Paris’ Louvre, Rome or Copenhagen ambiance and I don’t need hand-holding, so I enjoyed my rustic times ashore. Corinto was volcano photo-ops and coupla beers in a Cantina with former Sandanistas. HAL’s Puerto Quetzal shuttle got us to Antigua, a real Colonial gem, truly amongst smoking Volcanos with a local market stroll and then had a fabulous Restaurant meal there. Puerto Vallarta is a yawner, except for a WalMart fix near the Pier. Cartagena will be a ‘Latin urban experience’ tour. Huatulco has nuthin’ near the Pier, but inland it was unique as a huge Volcano erupted right on time for our tour bus while having a great local catered lunch.  Alligator feeding and parrots at Puerto Caldera unless they offer a Coach Tour in direction of San Jose, Costa Rica or ??

@jlnprt: During our first Panama Canal cruise, we called at all of the ports on your itinerary (Puntarenas instead of Puerto Caldera, but they are not far apart).  I had done extensive research in advance, and posted a detailed review, with photos, when we returned, including information as to what we did in which ports, and with whom.  Here's link to that review, I hope it's helpful.  Don't hesitate to ask questions.  Also, if you haven't done so already, please do read David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas" before you go; you will appreciate the Canal even more!

• Like 2

The first time we did the Panama Canal trip was prior to Easter.  When we did tours there were festivities preparing for Easter Sunday.  They were very colorful.  We took a ride on a bus to a coffee plantation and saw blotches of red on doors.  Our guide told us it meant fresh meat.  I thoroughly enjoyed this tour.  Couple of years ago we did a banana plantation tour.  It was highly informative.

Cartagena:  I'd get a taxi to take you on a tour of the old city.  You can negotiate a decent price with them fairly readily.

Puerto Caldera:  Any tour that focuses on Costa Rica's natural assets.  I've done a mangrove tour that was excellent, and a tour that featured the butterfly garden.  My husband has done zip lining and enjoyed himself thoroughly.

Corinto:  Stay on the ship.  Have a spa day.

Puerto Quetzal:  Antigua is entirely worth your time.

Can't help you with Huatulco or PV.

• Like 2

We did these ports on our Panama Canal cruise in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed every port, but depending on your interests you may or may not, like others have commented who didn't care for some ports. What are your interests? Beaches? Shopping? Ziplines? Resort for a Day? If so, then you may really enjoy Puerto Vallarta, but you might not enjoy the other ports. If you are interested in history, seeing different cultures, lifestyles and political/governmental systems, then you will likely find Corinto, Puerto Quetzal, and Cartagena very interesting and memorable. Here’s what we did:

Cartagena – we took the Cartagena City Highlights tour, and really enjoyed it, especially the tour of the Fort and the Old City, and seeing the details of how the city was an important Spanish port in colonial times.

Puerto Calderas – we took the Jungle Crocodile Safari tour and thought it was so-so. It was like an hour bus ride each way, which was interesting to see how people lived. But the jungle safari part was pretty bad as we did not see much wildlife.  I suspect there are better excursions here because Costs Rica is a beautiful country.

Corinto – we took the Colonial Leon and Chorotega Museum tour, and loved it. Super fascinating to see the country from the inside, and seeing both Native history (Chorotega) and colonial history (Leon) and bits and pieces of the remnants of the revolution of the 70’s and 80’s. I would only feel comfortable doing a ship excursion here, and not an independent tour.  

Puerto Quetzal – we went to Antigua for the day, absolutely amazing. Originally the Spanish capital of Central America, and lots of cool historical sites, some in ruins due to earthquakes and some still intact and in use. Surrounded by several active volcanos. Also a strong Native influence there. Again I would only feel comfortable doing a ship excursion here, as it’s a long bus ride to get there and the roads are not great.

Huatulco – we took a Huatulco by Land and Sea tour, to get an overview of the area. It was fine; the next time I might go for a beach day, or maybe visit the Copalita archeological site or do the Rural Communities & Traditions tour.  

Puerto Vallarta – The most touristy port you will visit. We’ve been here several times and there is tons to do here from beaches, resorts, ziplines, a few cultural/historical tours, and it’s an easy and safe place to tour on your own (in town at least). On our first time we took a City Highlights tour to get an overview, but my favorite tour here was the Las Caletas Getaway – expensive, but a cool and fun place to spend the day and enjoy the water.   

Again, your personal interests will help determine what you might enjoy at each port. Some people just want to enjoy the ship, or may have limited mobility, and staying on the ship makes sense for them. Others view these ports as an opportunity to see and experience different people, places, and things most people will never have the opportunity to see and experience. Good luck in whatever you choose to do!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, visagrunt said:

Cartagena:  I'd get a taxi to take you on a tour of the old city.  You can negotiate a decent price with them fairly readily.

Puerto Caldera:  Any tour that focuses on Costa Rica's natural assets.  I've done a mangrove tour that was excellent, and a tour that featured the butterfly garden.  My husband has done zip lining and enjoyed himself thoroughly.

Corinto:  Stay on the ship.  Have a spa day.

Puerto Quetzal:  Antigua is entirely worth your time.

Can't help you with Huatulco or PV.

i agree with Caragena totally and Antigua is a lovely little town

25 minutes ago, esimon said:

i agree with Caragena totally and Antigua is a lovely little town

OP: For a first time visitor to Cartagena, I strongly recommend booking a private shore excursion with a few others from your Roll Call, with one of the tour operators highly recommended here on CC, like Dora (see link below). We had a great tour with her, as I detailed in my review linked above. 

http://www.cartagenatour.com

Antigua is absolutely worth seeing.  Use r/t transportation from the ship, since it’s a good distance from the port.  The guide on the bus should give you a map, and, once there, you can easily walk around on your own in the small historic area. 

One of the best tours we have even taken was a private Segway tour in Cartagena (Segway Cartagena).

The old city is fascinating and they provide a history lesson during the tour.

Then after the tour we enjoyed exploring on foot and stopped in a cafe to watch the world go by!

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

OP: For a first time visitor to Cartagena, I strongly recommend booking a private shore excursion with a few others from your Roll Call, with one of the tour operators highly recommended here on CC, like Dora (see link below). We had a great tour with her, as I detailed in my review linked above. 

http://www.cartagenatour.com

Antigua is absolutely worth seeing.  Use r/t transportation from the ship, since it’s a good distance from the port.  The guide on the bus should give you a map, and, once there, you can easily walk around on your own in the small historic area. 

On our cruise I arranged a private tour of Cartagena with others from CC --- saw way more than we did on a previous ship tour & for far less $....If I can remember the company I used I'll let you know.

We have done two walking tours and one horse drawn carriage tour in Cartagena.  Enjoyed them all.  Love, love Antigua, Guatemala.  If you love history and culture, this is the place.  If they offer Antigua on your own, take the bus and then wander.  Often they will start you at the jade factory, Jade Maya.  You don’t need to stay for the tour or talk, or even to shop.  But it is the place to use the restroom!  We love to wander down the streets, stopping in the shops, wandering through the courtyards where ladies have spread out their crafts.  There is also a labyrinth of a shopping mall off the main square.  Make sure you go around behind the current cathedral to the ruins of the original building.  What is in use now is just the entrance hall of the original building.  The building was destroyed in an earthquake in 1773.  The ruins are amazing.  EM

I loved going to Leon. Huatulco has 5 bays which are part of a national park. It's a great place to take a boat tour of the bays, or a combo tour of some of the bays and snorkeling. You can go to almost deserted beaches and eat at fish restaurants. Puerto  Vallarta is a good place for a boat tour or snorkeling, too! 

I agree with Gail and Marty. Stay on the ship. Going through the canal is the   

reward of the cruise.

If you must get off, there are two ports IMO that might be worthwhile.

In Antigua, we took a private tour that was quite interesting. But it is far from the port, as mentioned, so take the ship transportation to get there and back. Sorry, I do not remember the vendor, but found him online.
Cartagena was ok , but we took the ship tour, and were we ever to  go back (ha! ) I would try Dora since she gets so many positive reviews on these boards.
As for anything in Nicacagua, I would never go back. Worst port I have ever been in on over 30 cruises. 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, jlnprt said:

We are booked for a 14 day Panama Canal cruise in January. I would love to have some recommendations for excursions (Cartegena, Puerto Caldera, Corinto, Puerto Quetzal, Huatulco, Puerto Vallarta). I checked the port board and the roll call board, but there's not much information there. All of these ports are new to us, so I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Many thanks!!

jlnprt: If you are interested in something DIY, when my wife and I visited Cartegena in 2010, I asked a Colombian friend where I could enjoy a nice lunch. She recommended the resturant, El Santisimo. The restaurant, El Santisimo, was nice. It is in the San Diefo area of old town, on Calle El Toro. We took a taxi there and walked much of the way back before catching a taxi the rest of the way to the ship. We never felt unsafe. BTW we were two couples and be aware that it doesn't open until 1PM.

Edited by celem