Trying to keep an open mind about NCL

coaster

We started cruising on NCL in the 90's. We abandoned them when they went away from traditional dining with the same waitstaff in the early 2000's.  Just wanted to look again after so many years later. I really can't comprehend the sail away fares and the included fares.  Seems complicated now. Website seems so cluttered now with multiple offers for the same sailing date.

Thought NCL dropped the ‘freestyle’ marketing not to long ago. Ok if NCL abandoned those who loved them 20 and some years ago. Again, trying to keep an open mind. Don’t need a TA.

Edited by coaster

Experience Freestyle Cruising

Imagine cruising just the way you want it: with no schedule to follow but your own. That is what Norwegian's Freestyle Cruising provides for all our ships and itineraries. Indulge your taste buds at one of our wide-ranging dining options, or perhaps you would prefer a dinner and a show combination? Relax at some of the most spacious and modern staterooms in the cruise industry before venturing out to experience the shore excursion of your choice.

6 minutes ago, coaster said:

Ok, unfortunately recent posters here  never  got the pleasure to experience NCL before Star cruises bought them out in the early 2000’s.  

I cruised NCL under the more traditional approach and cruise them now. I prefer freestyle, but to each their own. NCL hasn’t dropped freestyle and it’s highly unlikely that they would ever. Many lines have both traditional dining and my time dining. If you like a more traditional approach, I would recommend Holland America.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

Experience Freestyle Cruising

Imagine cruising just the way you want it: with no schedule to follow but your own. That is what Norwegian's Freestyle Cruising provides for all our ships and itineraries. Indulge your taste buds at one of our wide-ranging dining options, or perhaps you would prefer a dinner and a show combination? Relax on some of the most spacious and modern staterooms in the cruise industry before venturing out to experience the shore excursion of your choice.

Nice theory. We have been on 2 NCL cruises. On the first, I was really looking forward to freestyle, but then I discovered you could not just go to any dining room any time; they were all booked well before the cruise.

On the second, there was an excursion we bought before the cruise that we really, really wanted. We were warned that there did not seem to be enough passengers booking it for it to happen. As the date got nearer and we kept checking, one of the crew who were selling excursions said it was a great excursion, and that he would push it. But it did not happen.

The next year, we were at a cruise expo, and I spoke to the NCL representative and told her about it. Her reply was "You should do what everyone else does." I wanted to ask her how that answer could possibly be in agreement with do what you want, when you want. (BTW, the excursion was to Arles from the port of Marseilles).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Ok, unfortunately recent posters here  never  got the pleasure to experience NCL before Star cruises bought them out in the early 2000’s.  

I think this is only a matter of personal preferences.

The majority of the NCL customers chooses them because of the free style cruising. There a quite a few good cruise lines out there that offer the traditional style of cruising.

So i doubt that the old NCL would be a pleasure for all recent cruisers on NCL. Cause many wouldn`t like that traditional style.

this has nothing to do with the quality itself.

IMO the options at booking are rather simple.  Either a sail away rate with no added promotions or the higher rate with the “free at sea” promos.  

I’ve been cruising for over 25 years and I prefer not having an assigned table and eating time.  As an introvert being seating with strangers that I was expected to socialize with in order to eat dinner was exhausting.  Additionally I cringed every time the serving staff was required to sing and dance in the middle of service.  Hated all of it.

Give me the flexibility to eat when, where I want and with who I want.  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, coaster said:

Thought NCL dropped the ‘freestyle’ marketing not to long ago. OK if NCL abandoned those who loved them 20 and some years ago. Again, trying to keep an open mind. Don’t need a TA.

Freestyle is still alive and well at NCL.  I cannot imagine why they left left you after 20 years of your absence.  I'm sure an open mind and an open wallet will bring them back.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coaster said:

Thought NCL dropped the ‘freestyle’ marketing not to long ago. Ok if NCL abandoned those who loved them 20 and some years ago. Again, trying to keep an open mind. Don’t need a TA.

It's called good business. The cruise line is catering to the next generation cruiser who will sustain their business for the decades to come. The "old timers" (like us) will have sailed for many decades will continue to sail. And we, for one, embrace the change. We don't want to be stuck with set time dining (and you see that many cruise lines are offering "freestyle-like" options). 

If the website is too confusing for you, you should engage a trusted travel agent to set up your vacation. 

Again, businesses need to evolve to meet the needs of the contemporary cruiser or suffer the fate of the dinosaurs who failed to adapt. And we are happy that NCL is adapting to be our cruise line in the future. 

• Like 2

@coaster If traditional dining with a set table & dining companions along with shows scheduled to those dining patterns is your preference, along with things like Formal nights, I'd definitely say the NCL of today is not a good fit (Nor is Princess now that they have moved entirely to Dine My Way and el;eliminated traditional dining altogether like NCL).  Lines like Holland America, Celebrity, Carnival and RoyalCaribbean (on Non-Oasis/Quantum Class Vessels) will better suit someone who likes a more traditional style of cruising as they still offer set seating times/tables/waiters/companions.  Princess, NCL and Royal (on the Oasis and Quantum Class vessels) are more geared to those who prefer open seating, multiple entertainment options and a more go with the flow atmosphere.  NCL is also the most casual dress of all the cruise lines.

That said you can replicate, to some degree, traditional dining on NCL - when Dining reservations open(around 90 days prior to sailing) you can reserve online (or by calling their sales office, or your travel agent) for the complimentary "main dining room" for the same venue/time for the duration of the cruise, then once onboard you can speak to the seating host/hostess on night 1 and request same table/waitstaff for the entire cruise.  They will do their best to accommodate.  All NCL ships have at least 2 main dining rooms, and many have 3 - all share the same menu that changes daily.  Typically NCL seats land-side restaurant style by party size and does not seat you with strangers.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Nice theory. We have been on 2 NCL cruises. On the first, I was really looking forward to freestyle, but then I discovered you could not just go to any dining room any time; they were all booked well before the cruise.

On the second, there was an excursion we bought before the cruise that we really, really wanted. We were warned that there did not seem to be enough passengers booking it for it to happen. As the date got nearer and we kept checking, one of the crew who were selling excursions said it was a great excursion, and that he would push it. But it did not happen.

The next year, we were at a cruise expo, and I spoke to the NCL representative and told her about it. Her reply was "You should do what everyone else does." I wanted to ask her how that answer could possibly be in agreement with do what you want, when you want. (BTW, the excursion was to Arles from the port of Marseilles).

We’ve been on 4, family of 7, never made a reservation in a MDR, never waited for a table.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, coaster said:

It's like any other marketing decision.  More people love NCL because of the "freestyle" concept than were chased away.  Same as the vax requirement:  More people are inclined to cruise NCL because they have it than choose to go elsewhere.  

In both cases, other cruise lines have different policies.  If you love the traditional dining setup, HAL or others would probably be a better option for you.  For me, Freestyle Dining is a feature, not a bug.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

More people love NCL because of the "freestyle" concept than were chased away. 

I agree.  NCL pioneered the concept of "freestyle" dining, and it proved to be so popular that most of the other mainstream cruise lines were forced to adapt and come up with their own versions, with their own euphemisms (anytime dining, my time dining, etc.).  But their ships were not purpose-built for this (as NCL's are) and I don't think it has worked as well on other lines that are still trying to have both traditional/fixed dining and "anytime" dining.   

I've done the fixed dining thing.  Not interested.  Certainly not interested in being assigned a table with strangers for the length of a cruise.  And I first cruised on NCL in 1998, with many more NCL cruises since then (the most recent just last month), so I guess NCL didn't abandon me.

If the OP isn't interested in freestyle dining, there are other cruise lines that would work for them, as many comments above point out.  

• Like 1

I agree with the OP that NCL's pricing on the website is a complicated mess.   The open bar option requires prepayment of about $20 per person per day for tips, and the specialty dinner option also requires prepayment of tips.  And which promos are available for which category cabin during any given promo period is anything but clear.  

When choosing an NCL cruise, I could decline the special offers and take a guarantee cabin (a "sailaway" rate), I didn't like that option.   I turned to an experience cruise travel agent, and told her I wasn't interested in the bar or dining freebies that involved prepaid tips, I wanted to make my own air arrangements, but I would like any amount of free internet time and excursion discounts - and I wanted to choose my cabin.    She did whatever negotiating was necessary and got me what I wanted at a price I was satisfied with.

If the OP prefers not to use a TA, then he or she could phone NCL rather than trying to book online.  A live person should be able to explain the options and may have the discretion to customize the choices.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I agree with the OP that NCL's pricing on the website is a complicated mess.   The open bar option requires prepayment of about $20 per person per day for tips, and the specialty dinner option also requires prepayment of tips.  And which promos are available for which category cabin during any given promo period is anything but clear.  

When choosing an NCL cruise, I could decline the special offers and take a guarantee cabin (a "sailaway" rate), I didn't like that option.   I turned to an experience cruise travel agent, and told her I wasn't interested in the bar or dining freebies that involved prepaid tips, I wanted to make my own air arrangements, but I would like any amount of free internet time and excursion discounts - and I wanted to choose my cabin.    She did whatever negotiating was necessary and got me what I wanted at a price I was satisfied with.

If the OP prefers not to use a TA, then he or she could phone NCL rather than trying to book online.  A live person should be able to explain the options and may have the discretion to customize the choices.   

You shouldn't need much help to simply click two "decline" buttons.  

image.thumb.png.59226f0196a241e2f87ccb7aa0d282ec.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, coaster said:

We started cruising on NCL in the 90's. We abandoned them when they went away from traditional dining with the same waitstaff in the early 2000's.  Just wanted to look again after so many years later. I really can't comprehend the sail away fares and the included fares.  Seems complicated now. Website seems so cluttered now with multiple offers for the same sailing date.

I did not read any of the replies before replying to you.  I immediately saw the SS Norway which I cruised for my honeymoon 42 years ago and five times after that.  This gives me perspective about your post.

Those days I am afraid are gone.  All cruise brands focus on Perks.  Third party agents like *****.com or others pull the perks out to get a lower price added to confusion.  The NCL Site is actually the best bet.

Here is how I have done it and maybe it will help you.  

1. Look for the Stateroom I want: Inside, Balcony, Suite or Haven.  
  2. Look at the location and sf.  Also look at the Balcony size they are different.
  3. Look at the Perks.  Some staterooms seem like bargains until you realize they don't include perks.  There is no free lunch with cruise brands.
  4. Remember, just because it says the Drink package is a perk, it is not free.  That is where some confusion comes in.
  5. Then when you make your decision, come back and ask for folks whom have stayed in that stateroom for advice. 

At first I would simply do mock bookings until I got the feel for it then I felt much less confused and much more confident.  You are right, not easy.  But worth it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

As an introvert being seating with strangers that I was expected to socialize with in order to eat dinner was exhausting.  Additionally I cringed every time the serving staff was required to sing and dance in the middle of service.  Hated all of it.

Our last cruise we were set by an "interesting" couple at the specialty dining. It was all I could do to make it through the meal. If we had to sit next to them for all our meals, I would have starved myself instead. I take cruises to get away from people I HAVE to deal with in my every day life. I don't want to be forced to do it on a vacation. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, coaster said:

You could pair up with other people interested in dining together on your roll call. You can propose anyone interested in dining together can meet at a set time at the chosen dining room.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, vacationut said:

I take cruises to get away from people I HAVE to deal with in my every day life. I don't want to be forced to do it on a vacation. 

Good news is that I am unaware of any main stream cruise line that doesn't offer dining choices. Each line calls it something different, but they all offer some type of freestyle now.

52 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I immediately saw the SS Norway which I cruised for my honeymoon 42 years ago and five times after that.  This gives me perspective about your post.

I sailed on the SS Norway also. Truly a grand ship in every sense of the word!! But the OP has sailed many large ships since then (Harmony of the Seas for example) so they should be well aware of the industry changes over the last 30 years.

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Again, businesses need to evolve to meet the needs of the contemporary cruiser or suffer the fate of the dinosaurs who failed to adapt. 

Ironically; most agree that it wasn't adaptation that caused the dinosaurs to become extinct, rather it was a major catastrophic event (like shuttering the entire cruise industry for over a year). Jury is still out on how Covid will effect the industry in the long term.

18 hours ago, coaster said:

No major cruise line is dropping freestyle dining. Running the kitchen like shore side is more cost effective and survey after survey over many decades indicates it is what most people prefer. As far as NCL abandoning you, I respectfully disagree. They evolved to meet the desires of the consumer. I remember when NCL first made the change they offered 1/2 the dining room freestyle and the other half traditional. That went by the wayside as the majority of cruisers wanted freestyle. You can still get a set dining time and waiter on NCL, but it's unlikely you will be seated at a large table and dine with the same people every night, although that may also be possible also with the right concierge. 

As a minor point of clarification - NCL was NOT the first mainstream line to offer an open seating option. That distinction belongs to Princess who introduced Anytime Dining (with open seating as well as traditional dining) with the launch of the Grand Princess in 1998. NCL’s Freestyle Dining was introduced in 2000 and initially was a copycat of Princess Anytime Dining and offered traditional dining as well as open seating.  Where NCL holds the distinction is that they were the first mainstream cruise line to go 100% open seating and completely eliminating traditional dining. 

• Like 1