Is there a dinner option for those who do not want to dress up?

comcox

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Seems reasonable. I should go and enjoy.

I agree but I don't think I'd pick a cruise for a specific port of call at the moment. A general itinerary, yes. One never knows if the port might be substituted or even cancelled due to circumstances beyond Cunard's control.

Edited by Victoria2

52 minutes ago, comcox said:

I was interested in a particular itinerary they were offering.

Yup that's how we ended up on Cunard too - and that's why we have 2 more booked - the timing and the itinerary works for us.  And the dancing. And the lack of kids (even pre-covid) 

12 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One will follow one’s own instincts regardless of the stated Cunard dress code.  
After all, the declared Cunard code is only a minimum, not a maximum.  One will continue to pack, tuxedos, suits, jackets (both tailored and casual) and wear as one wishes, but always a Tux on Gala nights with additional Tux nights inserted.  
One declines to accept and join the Carnavalisation of Cunard.

Would even consider the bringing the unofficial TA QM2 dress code to the other two queens.

I agree and on my recent cruise in PG on QE on 1st Nov I wore a suit ever night but there were a few in PG who wore shirts only and obviously by the number seen around the ship many more wearing shirts and polo shirts from other dining rooms and can only see it getting more and less wearing jackets/suits. So therefore those sticking to old dress code of "jacket required" will become the minority and therefore spoil the ambiance on Cunard in the evening IMO. I personally dont want to see and its my opinion only people around the ship wearing polo shirts and trainers and odd ones in jeans as seen recently.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the Cunard dress code, and old story.  Slacks and a top may be sufficiently dressy.  Otherwise you are banished to the buffet, which in my view is quite dreary at dinner time, or you can eat in your stateroom, also dreary given the gorgeous dining rooms on board.  Maybe Cunard is not right for you, as it true for many, many potential customers.

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

Ah yes, the Cunard dress code, and old story.  Slacks and a top may be sufficiently dressy.  Otherwise you are banished to the buffet, which in my view is quite dreary at dinner time, or you can eat in your stateroom, also dreary given the gorgeous dining rooms on board.  Maybe Cunard is not right for you, as it true for many, many potential customers.

Yes. The dress code hot potato.

She [I think she] has given a valid reason for showing interest in a Cunard cruise. She has indicated she seems happy not to offend those easily offended by asking about evening buffet and is happy to relax away from the main body of the ship at night time,  what's the problem?

We all have different ideas how to enjoy ourselves and quite frankly to imply any 'alternative way' isn't suitable is rather dictatorial. If anyone wants to choose Cunard for a holiday and has no intention of going against suggested protocols, then go for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Yes. The dress code hot potato.

She [I think she] has given a valid reason for showing interest in a Cunard cruise. She has indicated she seems happy not to offend those easily offended by asking about evening buffet and is happy to relax away from the main body of the ship at night time,  what's the problem?

We all have different ideas how to enjoy ourselves and quite frankly to imply any 'alternative way' isn't suitable is rather dictatorial. If anyone wants to choose Cunard for a holiday and has no intention of going against suggested protocols, then go for it.

Cunarders will and do, welcome all cruisers who have a wish enjoy a Cunard voyage, the Cunard ambiance and the Cunard experience, without complaint,  regardless of the number of Ship’s elements enjoyed.

However, strangely, there are some holiday makers who, for some reason, will book Cunard, then go to multiple social media platforms to rail against the stated Cunard evening dress code.  This  in an attempt to change the dress code wording use from as being “stated” to just “suggested”, along with their convoluted multitude of thesaurus interpretations, before, during and after the Cunard cruise.

One’s personal take on Cunard dress code is, the wording being as “stated” delivers the true ambiance of Cunard, it’s USP, while the wording being as “suggested” delivers Carnivalisation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Cunarders will and do, welcome all cruisers who have a wish enjoy a Cunard voyage, the Cunard ambiance and the Cunard experience, without complaint,  regardless of the number of Ship’s elements enjoyed.

However, strangely, there are some holiday makers who, for some reason, will book Cunard, then go to multiple social media platforms to rail against the stated Cunard evening dress code.  This  in an attempt to change the dress code wording use from as being “stated” to just “suggested”, along with their convoluted multitude of thesaurus interpretations, before, during and after the Cunard cruise.

One’s personal take on Cunard dress code is, the wording being as “stated” delivers the true ambiance of Cunard, it’s USP, while the wording being as “suggested” delivers Carnivalisation.

The advice  on the Cunard website gives guidance  and as such,  offers suggestions and so there's nothing incorrect about the use of the word,

I do find it amusing when folk 'rail' against the Cunard dress philosophy though, after booking but in this case, at no time has the enquirer indicated she will not abide by any protocols.

As to your first paragraph,  many posts on this site, and one on this thread,  would indicate otherwise. 

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

The Cunard ships are very diverse in the very best sense.

I met a workman whose company sent him to New York by ship because of the generous luggage allowance for his work gear. He ate in the Lido or pub each evening and who’s special treat was the Godiva Hot Chocolate.

Also a fabulously muscled black male dance teacher who wore the most fabulous frocks, high cheek makeup and heels.

Neither would ever be seen dead in a black tuxedo.

Just enjoy your holiday in your way, but be open to new solutions to life’s jigsaw puzzle.

• Like 1

A few years ago we did a transatlantic from N.Y. to Southampton.  Our plans included a few days in London, and then flew to Ireland for 10 days.  We wanted to keep luggage to a minimum and did not pack any formal evening wear.  We knew we would be restricted to certain areas of the ship in the evening on formal nights and simply ate in the buffet.  We let our waiter in the main dining room, and also our tablemates, know that we would not be with them on those nights.  It was a basic courtesy so they would not be waiting for us.  It worked very well.

We actually enjoyed the food in the buffet more than the dining room.  Lots of choices, and my husband absolutely loved the cheese station!  We even saw several couples in their finery-- gowns and tuxedos--dining in the buffet on formal nights, perhaps because the dining room's menu did not appeal.  So, to each his/her own.  Please don't let the dress code deter you from booking with Cunard.  You don't have to pack glitzy clothes!  Just be aware of the limitations in the evenings and enjoy.  We sure did!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

[…] One’s personal take on Cunard dress code is, the wording being as “stated” delivers the true ambiance of Cunard, it’s USP, while the wording being as “suggested” delivers Carnivalisation.

All of this notwithstanding, one would do well to remember that there’s no correlation between ‘smartness’ and formality.

It’s very easy for someone to wear casual clothing and look quite put together; it’s similarly easy for someone to wear formalwear sloppily.

One might appreciate formalwear and all the glamour that goes with it, while still preferring the company of people who manage to be well put-together, formalwear or not. (Written as someone who relishes an opportunity to wear a dinner jacket!)

Edited by jzopp

Although I haven't recently checked the cost of a one way ticket to England from the US and vice versa, it "used to be"  it was  cheaper to sail across the Atlantic rather than fly. It may still be the case today. 

Even with the added port taxes and gratuities it might just beat business class or even an upper economy class air ticket. If I had to get to GB in some way or other and the cost was of importance, not necessarily the time, I'd sure opt to sail. Even if it limited my access to certain venues, it would be much more fun to be at sea.

• Like 1

I totally agree with Mudhen.  When we did our transatlantic,  the cost of the crossing was close to the cost of flying.  The QM2 had long been a bucket-list item, so the decision to cruise rather than fly was a no-brainer.

We would (and may) do it again!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, comcox said:

I was interested in a particular itinerary they were offering.

Oddly, Cunard was one of the few lines that offer guaranteed drop off babysitting in the kids club for children at the age of 2 (most lines only allow drop off care at the age of 3.  Some, like Disney and most new/refurbished Royal Carribean ships have nurseries where you can pay for 2 year old care, but there are space limitations and you cannot guarantee your child will be able to attend for the exact hours you'd like.  Carnival offered 2 year old drop off care, but my husband didn't want to sail with them).  So we, like you, were in the position of booking a Cunard cruise even though we don't support the dress code.  I wore a simple black dress that honestly could only be described as a day, not evening dress, but they did allow me in the dining room with my family (with my small kids black tie is really difficult, as I will wind up wearing food at a certain point).  It is possible to eat in the buffett, but at least on our cruise, there were some people in formal gowns even at the buffett.  And whole parts of the ship are restricted, not just the dining room.  You will feel a little out of place if you choose not to participate in formal dining (I have to say I think people seemed more tolerant of the difficulty of wearing formal clothes with toddlers than I expected them to, but I do really think anyone who goes on Cunard and doesn't want to dress up is going to feel a bit left out.  I really liked seeing all of the other women's beautiful clothes, so that was a plus, but I don't think it would be my first choice unless the itinerary/ price was sufficient to get over the fact that I wouldn't really feel that comfortable.  The food and amenities are quite nice, and the itinerary on our Norway cruise was excellent but you'd need to decide if not feeling 100% comfortable is something you'd want. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, Mudhen said:

Although I haven't recently checked the cost of a one way ticket to England from the US and vice versa, it "used to be"  it was  cheaper to sail across the Atlantic rather than fly. It may still be the case today. 

Even with the added port taxes and gratuities it might just beat business class or even an upper economy class air ticket. If I had to get to GB in some way or other and the cost was of importance, not necessarily the time, I'd sure opt to sail. Even if it limited my access to certain venues, it would be much more fun to be at sea.

It certainly is a bit cheaper to cross on QM2 (around $1,000) than flying business class (around $2,500+) - even paying single supplement.  For two crossing together, it is much cheaper.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:46 AM, mcloaked said:

I am sure that the topic of dress code will run for quite some time - there is a strong following of non-casual dress and having some level of smartness for dinner even on non-Gala evenings - but there is also a number of people who want to have nobody tell them what to wear and are happy to turn up for dinner as if it was on a Caribbean beach holiday with a tracksuit, or shorts and flip-flops.  So many people really don't want that atmosphere for dinner on holiday - but in any event in the Lido you can wear what you want, so why can't a less casual atmosphere be maintained in Britannia Restaurant and a more casual atmosphere for the buffet thereby keeping everyone happy! 

Equally I am sad to see that non-fixed dining has arrived for the second sitting.  I do hope that fixed time dining is maintained for first sitting - we like having the same table at the same time each evening, as do a lot of other people. If dining in MDR went the way of P&O then we would be unhappy - in fact with P&O having 'freedom dining' and no fixed seating, and time, and also diluting the Crystal Room from its prime use of ballroom dancing, meant that in recent years we stopped booking any cruises with P&O.  If dining on Cunard were to also go over to full 'freedom dining', and further dilution of the use of the Queens Room, then we, along with quite a few people we know, might also stop booking Cunard cruises - at least we still have ballroom dancing every night, and a high level professional dance couple doing high quality ballroom show dances in the ballroom on Gala nights, and people do dress up and enjoy the formality as part of something special on holiday. After all I could go to a Costa beach holiday, and never have to dress up, at much cheaper price than a cruise - if cruises went that way, what would be the point of paying the premium for something that is no different to a land based package holiday at half the price?

For 5 years we have paid a premium on Oceania for their excellent food  and casual  dress code.   No one shows up in shorts or flip flops to eat in their  many elegant dining rooms  -   no one wears a gown or tux either.  It is a lovely way to cruise - however we missed the lectures and  entertainment on Cunard.      We are diamond members so many sailings with Cunard.   We  will be sailing on the QM2 Christmas  cruise.   We will dress up but only because we feel forced to.  

1 hour ago, rrunner said:

For 5 years we have paid a premium on Oceania for their excellent food  and casual  dress code.   No one shows up in shorts or flip flops to eat in their  many elegant dining rooms  -   no one wears a gown or tux either.  It is a lovely way to cruise - however we missed the lectures and  entertainment on Cunard.      We are diamond members so many sailings with Cunard.   We  will be sailing on the QM2 Christmas  cruise.   We will dress up but only because we feel forced to.  

Nobody is forcing you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kohl1957 said:

Some of us just scratch our heads and say... "96% of the cruise product is not traditional, dressy or classic. Why can't you all just leave us and Cunard alone and travel with the 96%. We like Cunard  just the way it is (or was). We were here first."

Because there are a lot of people who just want what they want when they want it: no more, no less;  and, if the itinerary appeals to them - or just the lecture program, they feel they should not have to “buy the whole package”.

Anyone who has sailed in the 1970’s or 1980’s recall Holland America as being a “premium” line.  But they went along with the times.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody is forcing you.

Obligated then.   When you read posters suggesting you find another cruise line if you are not willing to dress up - or stay away from many area's  of the ship on formal nights  -  bit hostile.     

7 minutes ago, rrunner said:

Obligated then.   When you read posters suggesting you find another cruise line if you are not willing to dress up - or stay away from many area's  of the ship on formal nights  -  bit hostile.     

It isnt hostile but Cunard have rules on Formal nights for those that are not dressed  formally they are only allowed in certain areas of the ship which is explained on their website. On other nights when dress code is smart attire a dress shirt and trousers are acceptable and everywhere on the ship is available.

1 hour ago, kohl1957 said:

Everytime this topic comes up, it reminds me of the bloke who loves steak, chop and cutlets. Just loves them. But since the local vegetarian restaurant is closer and has free parking, he starts going there. And then complains "why can't I have  prime rib?" And expects to be accommodated.  Worse, the restaurant is run by market cowards who are afraid to be different and distinctive. And, yep, within six months, it's a "vegetarian optional" restaurant. In another year, it's just a bog standard restaurant like every other one.

Like it or not (and lots do... I think it's the definition of a core market)... Cunard has always been a traditional line, one that trades on that tradition, generally attracts folks who appreciate the traditional ambiance of ship travel from promenade decks, to steamer chairs to yes, dressing in the evening.  And it's a small company... just three ships.  Some of us just scratch our heads and say... "96% of the cruise product is not traditional, dressy or classic. Why can't you all just leave us and Cunard alone and travel with the 96%. We like Cunard  just the way it is (or was). We were here first."

We used to be regular Oceania passengers and yes got tired of chinos, polos and yes even ball caps worn at dinner. One evening, we counted four... four "gentlemen" wearing baseball caps at dinner.    So we went back to Cunard (my first Cunard voyage was back in 1977). And now, yes, it seems the chinos and polos and ball caps will be right back at us.

No one is "forced" to dress on Cunard anymore (alas) but no, nobody is "forced" to sail on them, either.

The difference on some lines between smart casual and casual is the direction of the bill on the baseball cap. .

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It isnt hostile but Cunard have rules on Formal nights for those that are not dressed  formally they are only allowed in certain areas of the ship which is explained on their website. On other nights when dress code is smart attire a dress shirt and trousers are acceptable and everywhere on the ship is available.

In the 15th years were have sailed with Cunard we have seen many passengers sitting  in the  theater   not wearing formal attire on a formal evening.      We do dress for dinner -  my point is not everyone will and  they will be permitted in the theater.    It does not bother us - we are there to watch a show not look at other passengers attire.   The rules are changing - in past years it used to be formal or semi-formal almost  every night - much more relaxed these day's.   

13 hours ago, rrunner said:

In the 15th years were have sailed with Cunard we have seen many passengers sitting  in the  theater   not wearing formal attire on a formal evening.      We do dress for dinner -  my point is not everyone will and  they will be permitted in the theater.    It does not bother us - we are there to watch a show not look at other passengers attire.   The rules are changing - in past years it used to be formal or semi-formal almost  every night - much more relaxed these day's.   

Yes I agree and we have seen the same in the theatre but there are bars on the ship where they will not serve you if you are not adhering to the dress code on Formal nights.