Is there a dinner option for those who do not want to dress up?

comcox

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

all advertising is aspirational and just enough truth to pass ASA. Cunard is no different.  

Let's just enjoy our cruises, 

Remember dress is superficial,  it's manners and consideration that count.

Agree, it’s good manners to show consideration for others and adhere to the stated dress code.

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

A few interesting points have been raised in this thread.

Personally, I’m a firm believer in keeping traditions alive. The UK is world famous for our traditions. Our armed forces are the envy of every other nation when it comes to ceremonial events, many of which have been performed for centuries, such as Trooping the Colour and the ceremony of the Keys at the Tower.

Same with the Royal Navy. What other country gives an order (from the Queen) to “splice the mainbrace”.

Sadly with the reorganisation of the army and the demise of some regiments some traditions will be lost.

Tradition, more than anything else, was our biggest reason for travelling with Cunard for the last 14 years and spending north of £300K. I’m sure we are not alone, just as I’m sure there are many more people that have spent much more than us in the same period and for the same reasons.

If the traditions, such as the dress code are being dumbed down to suit the mob that think cutting the front off a baseball hat and sewing it on the back makes them cool, then the risk becomes a choice of losing loyal customers who are not afraid to spend in favour of low spending ill mannered party animals who couldn’t even spell etiquette.

Unless a gentleman is a serving member of the armed forces and engaged in an official ceremony, there are no circumstances that a hat should ever be worn indoors, let alone a dinner table,

Two years ago at the World Club cocktail party on a Gala night we saw this clown (because that’s exactly what he looked like) wearing a brightly checked 3 piece suit with a matching trilby hat. From where do they get their ideas?

More recently on our 1 November trip, there was a chap in the Grill lounge with no jacket and no tie with his cuffs half rolled up his forearm. He really did look as if he was about to do the washing up.

If the traditions start disappearing then so will we.

Well, I guess you won’t like my bright red plaid pants with my red cashmere sweater and black boots. A cocktail party sounds like a great place to show your style in a brightly checked suit.

@Victoria2I so appreciate your post about the fabulous gowns and inaccuracies of the pictures posted by Cunard. I have spent hours trying to find a beautiful gown that is black and white. Two are being returned today because each took up an entire carry on and had so many layers I would have a heat stroke! We will be flying to LHR, spending a few days in London, doing a TA, then flying home from New York. I need to be reasonable about how much luggage we can manage. So, I will be wearing beautiful black velvet pant suits and hope I don’t offend. But, if I do I am not going to let it stop my enjoyment and hope it doesn’t curb anyone else’s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

oh majortom, that's awful. What a horrible man and I feel for his poor wife. Glad it didn't put you off. 

Thank you for your comment. To be honest it really upset me at the time until I realised that it was him that was the problem and not me. We did carry on cruising but after 2 or 3 cruises left cruising with them and cruised with other cruise lines until we returned to Cunard after nearly 15 yrs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Victoria2I so appreciate your post about the fabulous gowns and inaccuracies of the pictures posted by Cunard. I have spent hours trying to find a beautiful gown that is black and white. Two are being returned today because each took up an entire carry on and had so many layers I would have a heat stroke! We will be flying to LHR, spending a few days in London, doing a TA, then flying home from New York. I need to be reasonable about how much luggage we can manage. So, I will be wearing beautiful black velvet pant suits and hope I don’t offend. But, if I do I am not going to let it stop my enjoyment and hope it doesn’t curb anyone else’s.

When we first started cruising with Cunard ten years ago, I used to take the ball gowns I have in the wardrobe [mine, not 'wardrobe's'] worn at  formal functions  [black and also white tie] at home

They took up space and even though they weren't sequined  [a no no for me] they were heavy. They still would fit the brochure aspirations but I think them too formal for me these days.

Now I take a couple of long dresses, not in the  gowns category but not informal  'maxi' and they fit the bill nicely. All of them are black.

Your outfit sounds perfect.

Wear and enjoy.

If this is your first Cunard trip, do let us know your thoughts.

Edited by Victoria2

45 minutes ago, techteach said:

Well, I guess you won’t like my bright red plaid pants with my red cashmere sweater and black boots. A cocktail party sounds like a great place to show your style in a brightly checked suit.

On a Black Tie "Gala" night, when 95% of men are wearing tux's? I'm afraid a bright check suit AND HAT to match is simply not appropriate. Some people would benefit from having a good read of Debrett's.

Thankfully, we always dine at a table for 2 as my pet hate is people with no table manners. It's really not that difficult. Our now grown up children moaned and groaned about being educated in etiquette, but now they are grateful and could dine anywhere with anyone without showing up themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

On a Black Tie "Gala" night, when 95% of men are wearing tux's? I'm afraid a bright check suit AND HAT to match is simply not appropriate. Some people would benefit from having a good read of Debrett's.

The hustling turf accountant and a retired Guards officer at the same table?

6 hours ago, techteach said:

o, I will be wearing beautiful black velvet pant suits

So wilI I. I haven't worn a skirt in 25 years.

On the question of evening gowns... I love seeing them and have complimented on quite a few.  BUT at my senior age I really feel a ballgown or flowing evening dress wouldn't be flattering.  I feel some other ladies would think the same.  Therefore I wear black velvet or flowy trousers with floaty tops and some bling.   I have been on Queen Mary (Club) and Queen Elizabeth and always felt good and never felt underdressed or out of place.    A great number of ladies were dressed like me.  Everyone made an effort.  Luckily I have never met snobbery either, in fact Queen Elizabeth was the happiest ship ever and great fun.

I feel that new Cunard cruisers might be put off or worried about not having enough ballgowns. I did worry... but with nothing to have worried about at all.

I have new equipment this time, a small mobility scooter to use when necessary, after an accident abroad on the way to a cruise  nearly 3 years ago. and  I have met so many kind and polite people since then  and think it will be the same on our cruise in 10 days. How life can change in a heartbeat!!!!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree, it’s good manners to show consideration for others and adhere to the stated dress code.

I always do follow Cunards dress code, but don't obsess about others , dress code violations

But  when i see men however dressed who don't hold open doors for ladies or elderly!!

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

So wilI I. I haven't worn a skirt in 25 years.

On the question of evening gowns... I love seeing them and have complimented on quite a few.  BUT at my senior age I really feel a ballgown or flowing evening dress wouldn't be flattering.  I feel some other ladies would think the same.  Therefore I wear black velvet or flowy trousers with floaty tops and some bling.   I have been on Queen Mary (Club) and Queen Elizabeth and always felt good and never felt underdressed or out of place.    A great number of ladies were dressed like me.  Everyone made an effort.  Luckily I have never met snobbery either, in fact Queen Elizabeth was the happiest ship ever and great fun.

I feel that new Cunard cruisers might be put off or worried about not having enough ballgowns. I did worry... but with nothing to have worried about at all.

I have new equipment this time, a small mobility scooter to use when necessary, after an accident abroad on the way to a cruise  nearly 3 years ago. and  I have met so many kind and polite people since then  and think it will be the same on our cruise in 10 days. How life can change in a heartbeat!!!!!

Ah, yet another who has found the reality differs from the aspirational. Good. Spread the word.  One can be elegant and well dressed without needing to look as if one stepped out of a glossy brochure.

Although I often wear a dress on formal nights onboard - long [the only dresses I possess are long] and non floaty- well cut separates are usually my go to.

I have two favourite brands, one very high end and the other mid range and yet my favourite dress was bought in an M & S sale for under £30. Bling it up, add a pashmina and it can pass for Escada  any day.

My mother, a great lover of QE2 and 'the Fjords' used to do her version of a charity run, except hers was to scour the shops for clothes, which she would then customise.

I have a lovely photo of my parents at a World Cruise dinner in Hong Kong and she looked fabulous, in a £5 [ish] dress!!

The brochures entice [or put off for some] but the reality is still overall elegant but far more 'ordinary'. Long may the formal nights continue and I shall still dress elegantly 'casual'  on the other nights. 

Nothing has or will change for me. 🙂

• Like 1

Well, when I first started this thread a short time ago, I did not expect to engender such responses!

I did not mean to argue about or demean the existing dress code; I only wanted to know if there were any options for someone who did not want to dress up that much at dinner time.

I've since spoken to a Cunard agent and was assured I would be able to have some dinner in a way that suited me with no problem so I've now booked the transatlantic for January.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, comcox said:

Well, when I first started this thread a short time ago, I did not expect to engender such responses!

I did not mean to argue about or demean the existing dress code; I only wanted to know if there were any options for someone who did not want to dress up that much at dinner time.

I've since spoken to a Cunard agent and was assured I would be able to have some dinner in a way that suited me with no problem so I've now booked the transatlantic for January.

Im so pleased. I'm sure you will have a splendid time, doing as you wish, but not impinging on anyone else's enjoyment. And, with a couple of minor exceptions, all the people I have met actually on Cunard ships, over many years, both staff and passengers, have been lovely. Enjoy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, comcox said:

That's good to hear, as you've noticed this is a very divisive topic on these boards and some people have been put off trying Cunard after reading threads here. That's a great shame and I'm glad you are going ahead.

Have a great time and if you're feeling brave please report back on your experience.

• Like 2