Do I have to use the app ?

lovescarborough

Check in for our January cruise should open in a couple of weeks or so. In the past I have always logged on to the website and printed X press passes. I keep seeing posts about uploading vaccination certificates and health questionnaires as well as checking in via the app and I'm finding it very confusing. Can't I just use the website to check in ? Also, I know the app is free to use onboard but if I have to use it to check in at the terminal it's going to be expensive as my UK data package won't cover data in the US ! 

7 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

Check in for our January cruise should open in a couple of weeks or so. In the past I have always logged on to the website and printed X press passes. I keep seeing posts about uploading vaccination certificates and health questionnaires as well as checking in via the app and I'm finding it very confusing. Can't I just use the website to check in ? Also, I know the app is free to use onboard but if I have to use it to check in at the terminal it's going to be expensive as my UK data package won't cover data in the US ! 

No is the simple answer. It's useful to upload your pics ready for your passes. Just ensure you have everything printed out ready for inspection including the originals of your covid vaccination certificate. 

I used to be adamantly against cruise ship apps, but on our last cruise (Royal Caribbean) it was very useful.  We had all of the menus posted a week ahead of time, much of the entertainment was list ahead of time, and during the cruise it was always easy to figure out almost everything.  We could look at the menus of the specialty restaurants, the time for Bingo, when the shows started, etc.

I've become a convert.  We typically pack our phones around now to use as cameras so it makes much more sense to have the apps as well.

The App is optional and you can do well without it.   Many on  the ships don't have smart phones and many many choose to lock their phone in the safe upon boarding.

From personal experience I often do most of the Check-In using my laptop.   I have had trouble uploading a picture as it says my picture is too large and have to reduce it's size.  Ugh.    I decided instead to must go back into my Check-in and shoot the pictures and also to add my Vac Certificate.

You can easily go back and forth between smart phone and on-line.     The Online is also handy as  you can scan you passport and it automatically inputs all the information as opposed to typing it in.

I found it really hand to check the menus in both Blu or Luminae and the Main Dining room menu.   We often order off the Main Dining menu when available and tired of the same ol things on Luminae's menu. 

I agree with Jim.  I entered all the information outside of the AP.  Once on the ship, I used the AP all the time.  I loved the AP and found it be almost always accurate. It was particularly useful in checking activities and menus.  On the Apex, I did miss the convenience of ordering from the MDR menu easily.  Great feature on the Solstice Class ships.

I will load the app on my phone closer to our sail date. I will do all my pre cruise check-in on line using my laptop from home. I will use the app while traveling or during the pre cruise hotel stay if needed. We won't be traveling paperless. Once we leave the hotel I'll shut the phone off and once in our stateroom put it in the safe for the entire cruise. We travel with only one phone. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I will load the app on my phone closer to our sail date. I will do all my pre cruise check-in on line using my laptop from home. I will use the app while traveling or during the pre cruise hotel stay if needed. We won't be traveling paperless. Once we leave the hotel I'll shut the phone off and once in our stateroom put it in the safe for the entire cruise. We travel with only one phone. 

What do you use for photos?

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

A little thing called a camera. Small, great zoom and great for video, great audio and great for still shots. 

I bet you cannot look at all the daily menus and activities with your camera! 

My IPhone is the best camera that I have ever owned.  I use it for everything except my underwater pictures and videos.

I suspect you already know the capabilities.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I bet you cannot look at all the daily menus and activities with your camera! 

My IPhone is the best camera that I have ever owned.  I use it for everything except my underwater pictures and videos.

I suspect you already know the capabilities.

I don't need to look up the daily menus or activities on my phone pre cruise or while on the ship. 😂 I have no need for my phone at all while on the cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I AM BOOKED ON CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE IN MARCH. I HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL WHICH SAYS I MUST DOWNLOAD THE APP. I DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE. ON MY LAST CRUISE ON SILHOUETTE IN SEPTEMBER 2021 I SHOWED ALL THE RELEVANT PAPERWORK AT SOUTHAMPTON BEFORE I BOARDED. I HAVE JUST SPENT 43 MINUTES ON THE PHONE WITH CELEBRITY WHO SUGGESTED I GET A FRIEND TO DOWNLOAD THE APP?   I CANNOT. ITOLD THEM THAT I HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY RECORDS ON MY LAPTOP. I RANG OFF AFTER BEING ON HOLD  FOR THE THIRD TIME. AFTER ALL THAT TIME ON THE PHONE I AM NO NEARER RESOLUTION. I AM 80 YEARS OF AGE, I DO NOT WANT A SMARTPHONE. IF CELEBRITY HAVE THIS POLICY WHY DO THEY NOT TELL PROSPECTIVE PASSENGERS THAT YOU ARE NOT WELCOME  TO BOOK A CRUISE UNLESS YOU HAVE A SMARTPHONE.

1 minute ago, Radford007 said:

I AM BOOKED ON CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE IN MARCH. I HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL WHICH SAYS I MUST DOWNLOAD THE APP. I DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE. ON MY LAST CRUISE ON SILHOUETTE IN SEPTEMBER 2021 I SHOWED ALL THE RELEVANT PAPERWORK AT SOUTHAMPTON BEFORE I BOARDED. I HAVE JUST SPENT 43 MINUTES ON THE PHONE WITH CELEBRITY WHO SUGGESTED I GET A FRIEND TO DOWNLOAD THE APP?   I CANNOT. ITOLD THEM THAT I HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY RECORDS ON MY LAPTOP. I RANG OFF AFTER BEING ON HOLD  FOR THE THIRD TIME. AFTER ALL THAT TIME ON THE PHONE I AM NO NEARER RESOLUTION. I AM 80 YEARS OF AGE, I DO NOT WANT A SMARTPHONE. IF CELEBRITY HAVE THIS POLICY WHY DO THEY NOT TELL PROSPECTIVE PASSENGERS THAT YOU ARE NOT WELCOME  TO BOOK A CRUISE UNLESS YOU HAVE A SMARTPHONE.

You do not have to have a smart phone.  Check-in on line and just bring a folder with all your documentation to the port with you, they will handle the rest and you will be fine.  

• Like 1