Three cruises to choose from.....Please help us decide

zdad59

Which one would you choose?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you choose?

• Best of Northern Europe: (7 nights) Stockholm, Sweden...Norway Oslo (overnight)...Kristiansand, Norway...at Sea...Skagen, Denmark...Gothenburg, Sweden
    • Sacndinavia & Russia: (7 nights) Stockhom, Sweden...St. Petersburg, Russia (overnight)...at sea...Helsinki, Finland...Tallinn, Estonia...Visby, Sweden
    • New England & Canada: (9 nights) at Sea...Boston, Mass...Portland, ME...Bar Harbor, ME...St. John, New Brunswick...at sea...Halifax, Nova Scotia...at Sea

We've been cruising for a while.   Have several under our belts.   Everything has been to the Caribbean.   Well, soon we will both be retired and we can expand our options to ANYWHERE.     We came up with three but we're having trouble deciding.   Thought we'd have the wisdom of Cruise Critic help.   Especially looking for those with experience with these ports.   We look forward to your opinions.

Edited by zdad59

Dates nd prices would matter to me. Others might care about cabins.

If the dates are close in I wouldnt book overseas yet, until things are clearer about travelling.  No way I could choose without knowing more. I would love to see russia, just because I've had a lot of russian gaming friends the last 20 years.  So I'd pick 2 depending on date perhaps. 

• Like 2

I have not done any of these, but voted #2, as it's on our list. Actually had it booked for last summer, but COVID cancelled those plans. Might have even been the exact same itinerary. The overnight in St. Petersburg is key on that one. I have heard nothing but great things about this and St. Petersburg specifically.

For the first one, my preference would be to wait and do a Fjords or Arctic Circle one, not just Oslo & Kristiansand and other major cities. We are booked on the Jewel Arctic Circle one this next summer.

I'm not sure where you are from, but being from the US, compared to the other 2 options, I'm just not seeing anything overly exciting about the New England one. That one to me seems more like a "hey, let's take a week trip" vs. any sort of bucket list fulfilling trip.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Dates nd prices would matter to me. Others might care about cabins.

If the dates are close in I wouldnt book overseas yet, until things are clearer about travelling.  No way I could choose without knowing more. I would love to see russia, just because I've had a lot of russian gaming friends the last 20 years.  So I'd pick 2 depending on date perhaps. 

Good point.   Prices as of last night on line.  Plus we have a $500 FCC to use.    We are near Philadelphia, so airfares to get to embarkation required for all.

• Northern Europe  -  Aug 28, 2022  -  $1795    Balcony Room
  • Scan & Russia  -  July 10, 2022  -  $1588   Balcony Room
  • NE & Canada  -  Sep 1, 2022  -  $3038   Balcony Room

Do you live in North America or elsewhere?  I’ll assume the former for my answers.

I voted for Scandinavia and Russia for you.  Hubby and I really enjoyed a similar cruise (ours was a bit longer though; you may want to check other lines to see their offerings).  We did a lot of touring and walking on that cruise; that level of activity tends to be harder to maintain as one ages do doing it sooner tends to be better.  Budget for tours.

Best of N Europe would be my second choice. I have not done that one, but it sounds good.

We have been on Canada snd New England cruises.  We enjoyed them, but if you are North America, those locales may be accessible to you for years either cruising or land based. Lots of older folks on those cruises with us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobInMN said:

I have not done any of these, but voted #2, as it's on our list. Actually had it booked for last summer, but COVID cancelled those plans. Might have even been the exact same itinerary. The overnight in St. Petersburg is key on that one. I have heard nothing but great things about this and St. Petersburg specifically.

For the first one, my preference would be to wait and do a Fjords or Arctic Circle one, not just Oslo & Kristiansand and other major cities. We are booked on the Jewel Arctic Circle one this next summer.

I'm not sure where you are from, but being from the US, compared to the other 2 options, I'm just not seeing anything overly exciting about the New England one. That one to me seems more like a "hey, let's take a week trip" vs. any sort of bucket list fulfilling trip.

1 minute ago, zdad59 said:

Good point.   Prices as of last night on line.  Plus we have a $500 FCC to use.    We are near Philadelphia, so airfares to get to embarkation required for all.

Lol we both picked russia, if getting there no problem. Idk about travel with covid even next summer and protocols, but I would love the cruise to st peterburg. Maybe it's my age I worry about protocols and who shuts which borders and  ruising even next summer. 

Still 2 if the world settles down. I can drive to see NE and canada, been there. Nothing special enough I'd pick it over a bucket list cruise. 

7 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

voted #2, as it's on our list. Actually had it booked for last summer, but COVID cancelled those plans. Might have even been the exact same itinerary. The overnight in St. Petersburg is key on that one. I have heard nothing but great things about this and St. Petersburg specifically.

Another vote for an overnight in St. Petersburg. A private tour, which will give you priority entering the Hermitage is a must.

7 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

That's the best itinerary ever, and it's offered only once a year (by RC).

@zdad59

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I have not done any of the three but I would choose #1.  Norways Fjords are on my bucket list. 

Edit: I can pretty much drive to the ports in #3.

I have not done this yet (ask me after my Arctic Circle in June), so I could be wrong, but from what I understand, Oslo and Kristiansand don't really get you "fjords". The primary fjord ports are Flam and Geiringer. So if you are voting for #1 because of fjords, I think you'd be disappointed. Hence my suggestion earlier that instead of #1, look for a Norwegian Fjord or the Arctic Circle specific cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I would pick by ship, itinerary  would be second..  

If you were being facetious, it was missed by me.

There's a time to pick by ship (Caribbean), and a time to pick by itinerary. These types of vacations (at least 1 & 2) are the trips you pick by itinerary. An Oasis class ship is not going to do either #1 or #2 for the foreseeable future, if ever.

We've got a b2b booked for Arctic Circle and Iceland & Ireland. It's on Jewel. Would we prefer they run this on Anthem instead? Of course. Are we a little concerned about spending 24 days on a Radiance class ship? Sure. But if we want to see the places it goes, Jewel is what RC is offering.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I have not done this yet (ask me after my Arctic Circle in June), so I could be wrong, but from what I understand, Oslo and Kristiansand don't really get you "fjords". The primary fjord ports are Flam and Geiringer. So if you are voting for #1 because of fjords, I think you'd be disappointed. Hence my suggestion earlier that instead of #1, look for a Norwegian Fjord or the Arctic Circle specific cruise.

Thank you. Total honestly, I didn't take a in-depth look at any of the itineraries, I guess I just assumed that any cruise to Norway must include the fjords.  Just like any cruise to the Caribbean includes a beach.

So, I may revise my answer to #2. See St. Petersburg would be cool.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, zdad59 said:

go for the lower price! I loved NE & Canada cruise... but to get the others at half price... take it!

I was about to book the St. Petersburg one, however that port is a 50/50 chance of it being open due to COVID. That's not a chance I was willing to take since it's the main reason for that trip, something to think hard about. 

Northern Europe and New England/Canada might be roughly the same price once you figure flights in so I'd go with the most exciting ones for you, timeline that works, and excursions you would like. 

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You really want others to decide on where you should vacation?  No one here knows what you like/dislike.  

We’ll decide but insights from others with experience is always helpful.  

a part of wisdom is knowing what you don’t know. 

Definitely 1 or 2 before 3.

I've done [most of] 1 as part of Transatlantics.  And I've done 3 many times.  I've done RT CA/NE that went as far as Quebec City and I've also done one way NY to Quebec and Montreal.

And BTW, you can easily drive from Philly area to Cape Liberty (or Baltimore) for a CA/NE cruise.