The Daily for Friday November 26, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

Promises to be a nice day. The  downtown art show is back on this year after being cancelled last year. I think it will draw big crowds, not sure if I will go. 

We all need to listen a little bit more.  That is another reason this board is so special, even though most of us have never met, we do really listen to what others are saying. 

It will be leftovers for us today. We had a great day yesterday and then a few Zoom calls with our families last night. Today, start the switch to Christmas decorations.

Have not been to todays port but would like to. Love to see pictures.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 21

Today's sunrise is from my 2019 combination starting with QM2, and continuing to Crystal Bach, Crystal Serenity, and finally Crystal Symphony.  On November 26 the Crystal Symphony visited Grand Turk.

dawn1126.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning/Afternoon, All.   Good collection of days.  Like so many of you, we will be eating leftovers today.  I hope we hear that @57redbird's DH is cleared for surgery.

Great collection of crockpot turkey recipes yesterday.  When we used to spend summers in Idaho, we could buy there the freshest and best turkey breasts ever.  The ones we get here in So Cal are never the same.  Frustrating.  Our turkey last night could be characterized as a la Clark Griswold.  But it was a great day.  Wind died down; we sat outside under patio heater, with both DS and DD and their families.  And DS and DDIL announced a new bun in the oven arriving next May.  Very happy news -- our third grandchild.  👶

Today we'll make it our business to avoid crowds.  

Thank you, Rich & Team for the Daily.  Roy, I hope you are feeling okay.  Prayers today for those experiencing trials and cheers for those celebrating.

Wishing all a safe and joyful day.

• Like 23

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

And DS and DDIL announced a new bun in the oven arriving next May.  Very happy news -- our third grandchild.  👶

A new grandchild is some of the best news you can ever get.  Congratulations to Mom and Dad as well as Grandma and Grandpa.  👶

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I wish everyone took the time to listen to each other rather than talk past each other.  Leftovers are definitely on the menu today.  Did make a run to Tufts with Mona.  She had an abscess so she is on meds and wearing a cone.  Poor girl.  DH is insisting on a run to the Lego store. I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.9bd08643289c22dfc09974761ddf1336.png

• Like 23

I envy you with left overs.  The buffet was nice, but not great.  All of the pies for dessert were like someone's idea of a jello filling.  So instead of peach pie, it was jello peach pie.  Very strange.  They did have salmon, although i had to hunt for it.  No one was dressed up in the restaurant.  Well, things are not like they were 20 30 40 (omg I'm getting old) years ago.

I had a honey mango yesterday for our Fruit of the Day.  (trying to get DH to eat more fruit).  I know that ceviche is cooked chemically through citrus juice, but to me it's still raw fish.

Listening is good, it saves marriages, friendships and jobs, however the older I get the deafer I get, so if you think I'm listening.  I'm not, just in my own world....🐱

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I had a honey mango yesterday for our Fruit of the Day.  (trying to get DH to eat more fruit).

I drink a citrus drink most days (Mountain Dew) and try to have a fruit salad before going to bed when I can (banana splits).

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

Good morning, all! Leftovers Day will be observed here with much enthusiasm. A salute to those with Native Heritage. It was interesting to read that with all the flooding here in the Fraser Valley, the native Sumas communities were not flooded. Their lives and livelihoods had centered around Sumas Lake for centuries, until the government drained it in the 1920’s to create farmland. In the ensuing 100 years, the elders would not let their communities build below the the original shoreline of Sumas Lake, knowing how easily the lake could return. They were right.

Yesterday’s dinner was much enjoyed by all. Well, there were only four of us, but still enjoyed by all. The pumpkin pie I was disappointed in was fine after spending a day in the fridge. I think next time I’ll give @ger_77’s Heavenly Pumpkin Pie recipe a whirl, though.

Happy Friday, courtesy of our BHB’s elevator mats. I need a set of these in my house. However, one day I’d forget to change the mat, and then where would we be?

3BD90368-0E82-46F6-BCF3-289DCA387CA2.jpeg

• Like 21

Good morning. Sunny and chilly here. The lows most mornings are in the teens and highs are in the 40's. It is supposed to warm a bit in the next few days. We had a bit of rain on Wednesday night but not enough. Just enough moisture to make the passes out of town a bit slick. We actually had two very bad accidents due to weather. This is when I am so glad I am not going anywhere.

I will skip on the meal of the day.... I have something against raw fish. I will be eating on leftovers and setting up some freezer packets for later. Still may search out a turkey breast if I can find one small enough. Looked over some cruises yesterday but am still holding off. I know our condo roof needs to be replaced in the Spring if there are shingles available. And I really am not sure where I want to go. It is so costly to get out of Durango and to a port that I have to do at the very least a 14 day cruise. So I dream on and meanwhile continue to try to sort stuff and get things out of the house. My new rule.... if something new comes in - two old things need to go. See how long that lasts!!!

Susan

• Like 22

We had a great Thanksgiving celebration yesterday at the cabin. Considering that all the food and trimmings were brought by family members and cooking in a strange kitchen the feast turned out perfect.

I elected to stay at cabin today versus walking around Yosemite. Got a good book and warm cozy cabin is my happy place for the day.

Thanks to Rich the Daily’s founding father and to all who contribute.

• Like 23

Good morning dailyites. I am another one that will be having leftovers today. Leftovers from Wed. as that is when I enjoyed my turkey breast with giblet gravey and mashed potatos. Yesterday my brother-in-law took his family, including me, to a Chinese Buffet for Thanksgiving Dinner. It was one of the very few restaurants open in our area.

I will give cerviche a miss as I am another that can not force myself to eat what I consider to be raw fish. The wine looks pricy but good; the drink of the day not so much.

I got a text from Kakalena yesterday. She is not feeling very well but is trying her best to enjoy her cruise. I am hoping that she is able to go on our scheduled cruise in January; it is a Hawaii cruise that replaced a cancelled Mexico cruise that replaced a cancelled Alaska cruise that replaced a cancelled California coastal cruise. As of right now the cruise seems to be on however I hear that that State of Hawaii has not confirmed any cruises yet.

No Black Friday shopping for me but I will be getting a long overdue haircut and color.

Jane

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!  Sounds like everyone had a nice thanksgiving.  Not sure why we now have Black Friday sales in Canada,  but I’ll be thankful!  
Off to help our son put up his Christmas lites and tidy his yard.  So thankful the weather is good, even the magpies are thankful!  

CA072444-A01E-423D-8E4A-475AC21ECEC7.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

It appears not many Dailyites have been to Suva.  I was there February 8, 2018 and my photos represent just a small slice of the island.  The main port is Lautoka on the opposite side of the island.

The main stop on my tour was the Fiji Museum where the centerpiece was the Thurston Gardens, a lovely, peaceful place for a stroll:

thurston.jpg

The other highlight stop was the Bilo Battery.  Started by New Zealand in WW2 and later finished by the US, the battery, a network of tunnels and gun placement, had a commanding view of the harbor but was never actually used in combat:

tunnel.jpg

turret.jpg

If you'll indulge me, a look at my ship from the Bilo overlook:

biloview.jpg

Going off topic a bit, while on the tour a photo was delivered to my room.  One of the perks on an earlier segment for full world cruises was "waffles on the bridge" on a sea day and a group photo was taken:

waffles.jpg

I noted in my blog that on return to the tour I stopped at the town library for wifi.  They did not have it but clued me in that the Burger King in town, was a good place.  It was 94F and for about $2.50 for a large Diet Coke I was able to get a lot of work done.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all, and many thanks to everyone who posts.  No-one needs to feel lonely when there is this thread to enjoy!   Cheers for those celebrating and prayers for those that need them.  I think about Tana a lot, what she has had to put up with, and is still suffering, but hope she had a happy Thanksgiving with you, @smitty34877.

I'm looking forward to the day when the ships with passengers outnumber the ships without.  Which one is the next one to sail?

I have another question for the Americans  - I have never been to Trader Joe's,  but next month  (December 6, actually), we hope to cross the border and head down to Bellingham for a couple of days for a shopping spree.  So, I plan to take a cooler and we are going to go to TJ's on the 8th, on our way back home.  What do you recommend I buy?  What are your favourite things?  Hopefully I will find some special treats that I can refrigerate or freeze or somehow keep for Christmas!  I would love to at least start out with a shopping list of ideas..

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm looking forward to the day when the ships with passengers outnumber the ships without.  Which one is the next one to sail?

I believe the next to sail is Zuiderdam for Christmas in Mexico December 23rd.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone!  I have been following this thread for many months. I thought I would finally jump in and respond. First I would like to say how much I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts!  Most days it’s the first thing I do after I read the morning paper. What prompted me to post is I booked the first cruise on Holland for DH and myself on New Statendam 10/02/2022 Canada- New England. We will be celebrating 50 years of marriage 9/02/22. We spent our honeymoon in Montreal and our 25th in Quebec and Montreal. We have cruised 7 times. I would welcome any information you can share that may enhance our experience of sailing with Holland America!

Nancy

• Like 21

@AncientWanderer how exciting to be able to prepare for a new grandchild!  Congrats to the whole family!

@smitty34877 I'm happy to hear that Tana was able to enjoy your gathering; hopefully she'll be able to wean off the oxygen soon.  I'm sure she was thankful to have you in her life to help with her care and that of her son and pup as well.

@nancynana9950 welcome to the Daily.  We're an eclectic group here who like checking in and checking on one another.  It's a very caring community of cruisers and we welcome new posters like you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, nancynana9950 said:

Hello everyone!  I have been following this thread for many months. I thought I would finally jump in and respond. First I would like to say how much I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts!  Most days it’s the first thing I do after I read the morning paper. What prompted me to post is I booked the first cruise on Holland for DH and myself on New Statendam 10/02/2022 Canada- New England. We will be celebrating 50 years of marriage 9/02/22. We spent our honeymoon in Montreal and our 25th in Quebec and Montreal. We have cruised 7 times. I would welcome any information you can share that may enhance our experience of sailing with Holland America!

Nancy

Welcome to the Daily!  Could you share a bit about what lines you have cruised with as it might help  us understand your preferences a bit.  One thing I will suggest is you check out the Dutch Cafe where there is a charge for the beverages but a wide variety of free food.  It's unique to HAL's newest ships, Koningsdam, Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam.

Roy

• Like 16

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning/Afternoon, All.   Good collection of days.  Like so many of you, we will be eating leftovers today.  I hope we hear that @57redbird's DH is cleared for surgery.

Great collection of crockpot turkey recipes yesterday.  When we used to spend summers in Idaho, we could buy there the freshest and best turkey breasts ever.  The ones we get here in So Cal are never the same.  Frustrating.  Our turkey last night could be characterized as a la Clark Griswold.  But it was a great day.  Wind died down; we sat outside under patio heater, with both DS and DD and their families.  And DS and DDIL announced a new bun in the oven arriving next May.  Very happy news -- our third grandchild.  👶

Today we'll make it our business to avoid crowds.  

Thank you, Rich & Team for the Daily.  Roy, I hope you are feeling okay.  Prayers today for those experiencing trials and cheers for those celebrating.

Wishing all a safe and joyful day.

Congratulations on the news of a third grandchild on the way.

I'm happy for you and your family.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nancynana9950 said:

Nancy

Welcome Nancy.

Congratulations in advance for your 50th wedding anniversary in February.

Graham.

• Like 8