The Daily for Thursday December 02, 2021

richwmn

There a couple of changes we've noticed on the ship that I keep forgetting to mention, and I think they are positive changes.  In addition to female servers in the specialty restaurants, there now female servers in the MDR.  I think right now, they may be assistant servers who are learning the ropes.  Our assistant cabin steward is a very nice, friendly young lady, who we are happy to have looking after us.

Lenda

• Like 20

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I haven't had a fritter since my college days.  Mutts and Special Education have special places in our lives.  I love the meal and the Kierkegaard quote.  I've been to Costa Rica but not to Quepos.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Strength for smitty34877 and tana
Strength for Cunnorl, DH, and family on passing of SIL
JazzyV’s best friends MOHS surgery TODAY
Cruisingalong pre-travel malaise
summer slope awaiting biopsy results
From the rotation:
rafinmd undergoing radiation
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
1 day for Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
2 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam and kb4863 Regal Princess to 12/9
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) , Lynanken and Lindaler (Rotterdam) at sea
Another week for Overhead Fred
Successful MOSE for Heartfrove DD
Welcome home Norseh2o
highland cruiser in Vallarta after  her 
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy just  to  add  some  good  news  for  a  change. My Wife 

Sheila after  nearly 4 weeks stay  in hospital after her arm  surgery was  discharged dec1 and is  home  at last. Thanks  must  go  to  the Doctors  and  those  wonderful NURSES and the wonderful people  on this  board for prayers  and  kind

words of support. Heartfelt THANKS. 

irishjim.

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

There a couple of changes we've noticed on the ship that I keep forgetting to mention, and I think they are positive changes.  In addition to female servers in the specialty restaurants, there now female servers in the MDR.  I think right now, they may be assistant servers who are learning the ropes.  Our assistant cabin steward is a very nice, friendly young lady, who we are happy to have looking after us.

Lenda

That is good to hear.  We’ve had fantastic ladies in the Lido and once in the PG.  Tamarind always has them.  And one of the best wine steward we ever had (and she ended up filling in for the head) was a lovely lady.  Wonderful to see it expanding.  Thank you 🙂 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, kazu said:

This sounds perfect!  Could you share the brand or a name so we know what to look for please?  Thank you.

Jacqui, I Googled it, as it has been a long time. Allen said he's sure it is joy job. We had an older version, but the new version enables you to even telescope to 3 stories.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui, I Googled it, as it has been a long time. Allen said he's sure it is joy job. We had an older version, but the new version enables you to even telescope to 3 stories.

Thanks.  I’m looking at it and it doesn’t seem to go high enough.  I’m still digging but this will be a god send.  Our leaves fall for weeks - so clean the gutters and the dam red maple sends more. It and the Linden seem to have a challenge as to which one will drop last.  

Despite all my efforts and endless leaves, there are still some on the ground under the snow thanks to the final drop 😡 

@irishjim so happy to hear the very good news on Sheila 👍 Hope she recovers quickly 🙏🏻 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

So are the MDR food stewards still predominantly Indonesian? (When HAL resumed, someone had posted something about many now from Phillipines).

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks.  I’m looking at it and it doesn’t seem to go high enough.  I’m still digging but this will be a god send.  Our leaves fall for weeks - so clean the gutters and the dam red maple sends more. It and the Linden seem to have a challenge as to which one will drop last.  

Despite all my efforts and endless leaves, there are still some on the ground under the snow thanks to the final drop 😡 

@irishjim so happy to hear the very good news on Sheila 👍 Hope she recovers quickly 🙏🏻 

Your second story is over 25 feet??

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

That is good to hear.  We’ve had fantastic ladies in the Lido and once in the PG.  Tamarind always has them.  And one of the best wine steward we ever had (and she ended up filling in for the head) was a lovely lady.  Wonderful to see it expanding.  Thank you 🙂 

We had a nice young lady server in the Tamarind....saw her the next morning in the Lido & I mentioned I had a slightly sore throat  -- she magically appeared with hot tea with ginger & lemon.....did the trick.

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Your second story is over 25 feet??

At the back, I think so.  We are on a hill and the back part is very, very high.

I have no way to measure, but the guy who did our gutters always brought a special extension ladder to get on the back roof.   Our ladder goes to 20’

It’s not high enough.  I think the gadget does 22’ max.  Still researching.

My contractor had his guy insert things in all the gutter downspouts to help stop some of the clogging as people don’t always clean them.  His assistant brilliantly climbed a regular ladder over our garage roof (one storey) and then navigated the entire roof to to it. I just shuddered and closed my eyes.  LOL

• Like 15

Good evening, everyone!

Been busy with last minute chores and COVID tests for the cruise Saturday 🎉.  We are both NEGATIVE so let the good times roll.  Heading out tomorrow to Coconut Creek, FL, to meet some old cruising buddies for dinner then on into Port Everglades Saturday morning to board the Regal Princess.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, glad you have an appointment scheduled for your MOHS, but sorry you have to have it.  Also, safe travels down to Orlando -- we will be leaving the area as you are coming in. 😃

@irishjim, great news that your DW is finally released from hospital.

Healing hugs to all on the care list and cheers to those on the celebratory list.  

Kay

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@irishjimhow wonderful to hear your wife is home at last!  I'm sure she's as happy to be home as you are having her there.   It's always nice hearing news like this.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks very  much we  have booked a cruise  on  the ms Zuiderdam  Sept 28 2022  Vancouver Ft Lauderdale dec1 23. TOTAL 74  days. 

Veranda cabin an we will enjoy this. All OUR  PRAYERS to  every  one

in need.      Jim.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

We are glad to see they are giving the female "team members" (the new term for the crew) more opportunities to advance.  In the past, we've had a lot of female servers in Canalleto over the yeats.  The ones in there now are great.  We've also had many great female wine stewards.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So are the MDR food stewards still predominantly Indonesian? (When HAL resumed, someone had posted something about many now from Phillipines).

We both think most of the MDR staff are still Indonesian, as are the room stewards.  The MDR hostesses may be from Thailand, but I'm not sure.

@irishjim  Thank you for letting us know Sheila is finally home.  That must be a huge relief to both of you.   Sending good thoughts for her speedy recovery.

We'll be sailing in 30 minutes or less.  I'll check-in Sunday when we're in San Diego.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Thanks very  much we  have booked a cruise  on  the ms Zuiderdam  Sept 28 2022  Vancouver Ft Lauderdale dec1 23. TOTAL 74  days. 

Veranda cabin an we will enjoy this. All OUR  PRAYERS to  every  one

in need.      Jim.

How exciting  for you both to have a lovely cruise to look forward to. I am so glad your wife is home  .

• Like 12

8 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

It is a dry day finally here in the Pacific NW.  Today is a palindrome - 12/02/2021.  It is also my 82nd birthday.  Plan to do some work on my log house property and then barbecue a steak for tonight.

I am almost completely over the kidney stone thing.  Still have a few medications that were prescribed and have to have another CT scan next week to look closer at something the original scan found.  Guess when you are in your eighties you have to expect your body to be less than perfect.

Ray

Happy Birthday Ray!!🥂🍾🎉🧁🎈

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Greeting from Miami.  We are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay overlooking the cruise port.  We are happy to be here and be on our way tomorrow.  Yesterday we had another itinerary change and shortened port hours in almost every port.  No explanation.,

Special Ed is near and dear to my heart.  Having just recently lost my brother-in-law, Eugene, who was developmentally disabled due to a mastoid infection at the age of four.

When we moved from New York, we found a letter in the attic (we lived in the house where my husband and Eugene grew up) from the New York City Board of Education stating that there was no place for him in the New York City School System.  Mind you that was many years ago before they had special ed programs.  The recommended that he be institutionalized.

Things are so different now.

Here’s a picture from our hotel room:

24C321ED-D0C1-4971-B0CD-198B326BBC36.thumb.jpeg.7f122ebc89962788353166e0b041a0da.jpeg

Terri, Special Ed is dear to my heart also. DD had most of her school years in Special Ed. I know you still feel the loss of your BIL. On a lighter note enjoy your cruise!  Bon Voyage! 🛳

7 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sorry to hear this, Sandi. All of these different types are new to me, so thank you for sharing.  

A cream sounds too easy, and unreliable. Anyone else ever hear of this?

I’ve heard many good reports about Efudex. 

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope this Cheers everyone up.

Graham.

Graham!  Thank you for the laugh. I even got DH to watch. 

3 hours ago, irishjim said:

Jim, so good to hear DW is home and doing better. 

55 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

@USN59-79Happy Birthday!

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry you have to have surgery and that you have to wait so long.

Here is the front of our house before and after. WP_20170219_16_15_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.1ae487426ff668f7f13c1c4ef6a9c76e.jpgWP_20170219_16_16_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.d642334ecd025627a80eb74cf1d8e722.jpgIMG_20211202_115141004.thumb.jpg.b5813bff24f196337053c46b97a30426.jpgI don't have any from the same angle.)

Wow!  Your transformation is amazing. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kazu said:

The one we bought did the second story no problem.

• Like 6