Cruiseline prices?????

bazzaw

Even though I have been receiving emails for the past 18 months from cruiselines promising me wonderful cruises if I was only to book with them, I have not really looked closely at them at all and they go to the Deleted bin very quickly - but I seemed to recall that they advertised fares which did not scare me. 🙂 I was very surprised to get an email from Cunard yesterday to tell me that they had extended my $5000 FCC to September 2022, even quoting a Cunard FCC Reference number  - I had been promised this FCC plus a full cash refund for our first cancelled cruise in May 2020 but only in an email with no further documentation and I thought it had all been cancelled when I received a full cash refund after 8 months of waiting last year. So my interest picked up a little - ( although I will NOT be booking anything in the future which requires me to lay out any hard cold cash immediately, notwithstanding the free FCC which we have  and until I see some other suckers actually proceeding on some cruise in Aussie waters) . So, in light of the surprise of this email,  I had a look at some Cunard cruises around Oz in late 2022 - and could not believe the prices . Up to $400 per day per person for an inside cabin. I kind of have expected this as there will be a great pent-up demand when it all starts up again - with LOTS of people already with LOTS of money inside the system waiting to be spent on a cruise - any cruise!!!!! Anyway, I am wondering if it is just Cunard - or are other cruiselines like this now???  

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

I am wondering if it is just Cunard - or are other cruiselines like this now???  

I think it's everybody, except maybe Carnival.

I'm hoping that the cruise lines are just trying it on and once they start sailing for real, the prices will come down closer to pre-pandemic levels. Then again, given their debt levels, maybe not.

I still think that the cruise schedules in place at the moment are going to have to be extensively modified to account for the 2022 cruises to PNG and some of the South Pacific islands being canceled. That should leave some holes to be filled by last minute cruisers.

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

Even though I have been receiving emails for the past 18 months from cruiselines promising me wonderful cruises if I was only to book with them, I have not really looked closely at them at all and they go to the Deleted bin very quickly - but I seemed to recall that they advertised fares which did not scare me. 🙂 I was very surprised to get an email from Cunard yesterday to tell me that they had extended my $5000 FCC to September 2022, even quoting a Cunard FCC Reference number  - I had been promised this FCC plus a full cash refund for our first cancelled cruise in May 2020 but only in an email with no further documentation and I thought it had all been cancelled when I received a full cash refund after 8 months of waiting last year. So my interest picked up a little - ( although I will NOT be booking anything in the future which requires me to lay out any hard cold cash immediately, notwithstanding the free FCC which we have  and until I see some other suckers actually proceeding on some cruise in Aussie waters) . So, in light of the surprise of this email,  I had a look at some Cunard cruises around Oz in late 2022 - and could not believe the prices . Up to $400 per day per person for an inside cabin. I kind of have expected this as there will be a great pent-up demand when it all starts up again - with LOTS of people already with LOTS of money inside the system waiting to be spent on a cruise - any cruise!!!!! Anyway, I am wondering if it is just Cunard - or are other cruiselines like this now???  

7 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think it's everybody, except maybe Carnival.

I'm hoping that the cruise lines are just trying it on and once they start sailing for real, the prices will come down closer to pre-pandemic levels. Then again, given their debt levels, maybe not.

I still think that the cruise schedules in place at the moment are going to have to be extensively modified to account for the 2022 cruises to PNG and some of the South Pacific islands being canceled. That should leave some holes to be filled by last minute cruisers.

Prices are definitely more expensive for solo sailing on small ships now. Well out of my price range even taking into account no long haul business class flights for local cruises.

Cunard fares have gone up by a huge amount. We were booked in a balcony cabin on the now-cancelled Xmas cruise this year at $345pp per day which I thought was expensive. 

The replacement cruise next year is $498pp per day. We do have a slightly better cabin but still ... We're still debating whether to do it or not but it is Xmas, plus overnight NYE in Auckland and may be our only chance to try Cunard.

Other lines have been going up a bit but not as severely.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hi

i laugh when the government says that inflation is not too bad,

if you go to the supermarket everything has increased in cost.

the hairdresser has up the price and nail salon has up the price.

I guess that they are trying to recoup their losses.   

by the way I booked a P and O cruise for April which included drinks.   Laughed when I read the small print that said you can only have 15 drinks in 24 hours.   Really,  everybody is going to be very drunk.   Don’t think we could possible manage even half that!   

probably won’t go ahead anyway !

eileen

• Thanks 1

All the cruise lines are trying to survive,some of the prices are insane.

Expect some eye watering prices.

I think even though we all want to get back on a ship.
Dont  wager more money than you are prepared to loose, we aren’t out of this yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

i laugh when the government says that inflation is not too bad,

if you go to the supermarket everything has increased in cost.

the hairdresser has up the price and nail salon has up the price.

I guess that they are trying to recoup their losses.   

by the way I booked a P and O cruise for April which included drinks.   Laughed when I read the small print that said you can only have 15 drinks in 24 hours.   Really,  everybody is going to be very drunk.   Don’t think we could possible manage even half that!   

probably won’t go ahead anyway !

eileen

My Princess Planner told me that one of her other Aussie clients always drinks all 15 each day. He must have an immense capacity for alcohol.😯

Another thing I think we will all have to consider in booking a new cruise when cruising commences is the NEW PROTOCOLS. We are concerned about wearing masks and paying hefty prices for ships tours. Could be deal breakers for us. We'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, portcbob said:

Another thing I think we will all have to consider in booking a new cruise when cruising commences is the NEW PROTOCOLS. We are concerned about wearing masks and paying hefty prices for ships tours. Could be deal breakers for us. We'll have to wait and see.

I don’t now if the cruise lines will make us use the ship tours only.

I was looking at some on a NZ cruise early 2023 and the ship tours are about a $100 a hour or more.

Its a possibly for NZ if you don’t take a ship tour you stay on the ship.

Personally, I think the costs of the Princess 2024 world cruise are the most expensive I have seen for this cruise. It was only a couple of years ago one could get an inside cabin for under $20K.......now, nowhere near it!

9 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

Personally, I think the costs of the Princess 2024 world cruise are the most expensive I have seen for this cruise. It was only a couple of years ago one could get an inside cabin for under $20K.......now, nowhere near it!

I reckon it would cost a couple in a decent balcony cabin $100,000 plus taking into account ticket price ($73,000 for two,) on board spending, shore tours whether ship's or private. Way over priced.  For me to go on my own in a balcony cabin is $71,000. That is $650 per day...No way.

Edited by NSWP

12 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

It is 3 days longer than previous world cruises.

And it would have been a lot longer than a couple of years ago that prices were under $20K for an inside cabin. I think they were around $22K in 2015.

Anyway I have the release brochure files for the last three years so here are the Saver fares for an inside cabin from those.
2022 $25,799 for 107 days = $241pp per day
2023 $26,599 for 107 days = $249pp per day
2024 $27,899 for 110 days = $254pp per day

The increase per person per day is quite small and probably in line with general increases in costs over the years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I reckon it would cost a couple in a decent balcony cabin $100,000 plus taking into account ticket price ($73,000 for two,) on board spending, shore tours whether ship's or private. Way over priced.  For me to go on my own in a balcony cabin is $71,000. That is $650 per day...No way.

Yes, well over $100,000 for a Plus fare but I don't think it's overpriced. It is a very, very long cruise. But too expensive to do solo.

The Plus fares are actually very good value, with the drinks package and full internet built in for an extra $40pp per day. I think the internet package is worth about $14 a day, so a full drinks package for $26 is a steal. You'd pay that for a speciality coffee, a cocktail and a glass of wine if you were buying as you go.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, well over $100,000 for a Plus fare but I don't think it's overpriced. It is a very, very long cruise. But too expensive to do solo.

The Plus fares are actually very good value, with the drinks package and full internet built in for an extra $40pp per day. I think the internet package is worth about $14 a day, so a full drinks package for $26 is a steal. You'd pay that for a speciality coffee, a cocktail and a glass of wine if you were buying as you go.

I agree the drinks/internet package is good.  I could drink $26 worth before lunch lol. Makes me realise what a bargain we got on P&O UK's 'Arcadia,' half worldie - 50 days, Sydney to Southampton via Africa. Obstructed view cabin - $6,500 each ($130 per day) for my wife and I in 2012.  We went at two weeks notice on the 24 hr sale and post cruise a month in England driving around. Great trip.

Demand for people wanting to cruise and cruise lines trying to recoop some of the loses and of course the higher overheads for them now means much more expensive cruises. It is worldwide as well, not just the Aussie/NZ ones.

Good news is that there are still some bargains to be had, just not as cheap and certainly much fewer of them.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, NSWP said:

I agree the drinks/internet package is good.  I could drink $26 worth before lunch lol. Makes me realise what a bargain we got on P&O UK's 'Arcadia,' half worldie - 50 days, Sydney to Southampton via Africa. Obstructed view cabin - $6,500 each ($130 per day) for my wife and I in 2012.  We went at two weeks notice on the 24 hr sale and post cruise a month in England driving around. Great trip.

Les - we also got a good bargain with P&O UK - $5500 each for Guarantee Inside Brisbane to Southampton on Oriana 42 days ( we got upgraded 9 levels to a "Luxury Outside, which was basically a Balcony cabin but with the Balcony built in 🙂 ) and return 42 days Inside on Arcadia $6500 each ( got upgraded to  a "large Inside" on this one. But this WAS 10 years ago - and I am really pleased we were able to do it - we are out of that league now. Many memories though. 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:06 AM, lyndarra said:

I saw recently that Captain Cook Cruises has attractive offerings for cruising Fiji next year. Very tempting.

Ditto.....on my bucket list. We have been to Fiji a couple of times, but never done a local cruise. A "snorkel safari". 

Prior to Covid we booked a 12 night cruise to PNG on the Pacific Adventure for August 2021, got a balcony cabin for the price of an ocean view, $1,250 per head. That of course was cancelled and they gave us the option of shifting to the same cruise in 2022, which we agreed to. This cruise has now been changed to Fiji instead, which doesn't worry us either but just for interest we tried to do a new booking (ocean view) and it comes up as $2,054 per head so the price has definitely increased at this point.