Spirit Covid Status

CJANDH

Everyone is being tested today while in port at Castries, St. Lucia. The test site is set up in Indochine. Long lines when it opened at 10 AM. We waited until 11:30 and the whole process took about 30 minutes. Test results were emailed about an hour later. We were negative (Wheeeew). Hopefully, everyone will have their results before 6 PM and maybe we will know if any of our fellow travellers had bad news. If nobody tested positive Spirit should go GREEN again in a day or two. Fingers crossed.🤞

Not going GREEN any time soon. As it is on board Silver Spirit, we all had mid-cruise tests yesterday. Crew were open that there were some positive cases, but did not say how many. However, this morning there are little yellow magnets on many suite doors. Speculation is that the yellow dots signify a close contact of someone who tested positive and they are being isolated in their suites for (an unknown) period until a second test shows negative. We are in port today in Antigua and are allowed to go ashore on our own. So maybe things are not too bad.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, Snuffie said:

I just received an email from friend on board.  They saw food and beverages in styrofoam packaging being delivered to a cabin on deck 6. The delivery person was wearing face mask, face shield, gloves and gown covered with plastic. Person inside cabin opened their cabin door just wide enough to take in food.  

No announcements have been made to passengers as of now. 

That is correct.  There was one passenger involved.  Also, any crew member joining the ship had to be in quarantine on board before being “set free”.  It was a non-event for those of us on board not involved.  Passengers on deck 6 were aware, the rest of us were blissfully unaware.

• Like 1

Message from friends suggest that Spirit is far from green now:

”Capt announced  this morning that 17 pax and 4 crew have tested positive, for rate of 2.3%. St Thomas and St Kitts will not accept ship.  Hope to stop in Virgin Gorda.  Silverseas has not shined here.  Testing was a mess, with long lines, people sitting shoulder to shoulder.  Shouldn’t take 30 minutes to get qtip in nose.  It’s as if who ever was in charge wanted a super spreader event.  Friends at pool bar said it was even worse on earlier cruise and that they think Silverseas is trying to save money by squeezing all testing into a few hours.  Crazy because testers are on ship for entire cruise.  Never heard of appointments?  Of having testers go deck by deck?   Several not happy campers about testing process.” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Host Hattie changed the title to Spirit Covid Status

FURTHER MESSAGE:

”At noon report, Capt said Virgin Gorda refused entry to ship.  Ship going now to Fort Lauderdale.  Speed increased from 6 to 10 knots.  Probably arriving a day early.  Crew remain wonderful.  Continued complaints about the testing mess.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From CDC:  

ellow Ship Criteria

• Ship is at or above CDC’s investigation threshold:
    • Restricted Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 0.10% or more of passengers (e.g., if 6500* passengers on board, CDC’s investigation threshold is met if there are 7 or more cases among passengers occurring during the previous 7 days), or
        • This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.
      • One or more cases reported in crew.
    • Simulated Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 1.5% or more of passengers, or
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
    • Ships with Crew Only (i.e., not yet submitted requests for simulated voyages or applications for restricted voyages, pending CDC approval, or sailing at a later date).
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
  • OR
  • During the past 7 days, the ship failed to submit one or more daily EDC submissions on time (by 1200 ET). On a weekly basis, CDC emails all ships a reminder to submit the EDC form. In addition, CDC sends a reminder email if a ship does not submit their EDC form.
  • Like 1

For what it is worth, Silver Spirit has essentially cancelled the balance of its cruise. We have 17 passengers and 4 crew who have tested positive for COVID and have been quarantined in the "red zone" on level 6. Quite a few others are quarantined in their staterooms as close contacts of those testing positive.

As the 20 cases represent about 2% of the people onboard, all our future ports-of-call have denied us docking rights. The captain has announced we will reduce speed and head back to FLL with four at sea days instead of two ports and two days at sea.

This just illustrates that it is too easy for our small ships to meet an arbitrary percent level. A big ship with significantly more case is still allowed to visit. Surely it is the number of infected people that counts not the percentage.

The Russian Roulette game has worked against us. Too bad . . . we were having fun.

• Thanks 2

I am kind of surprised that testing is a mess as well. They had been doing a smooth job of it previously. (on my sailings anyway)

Wishing everyone a safe trip back to Fort Lauderdale.

2 hours ago, Throast said:

Really surprised that testing was a mess, we were on the moon, and testing was quick efficient, and socially distanced, due to join the Spirit on Monday for 11 days so a little conserned

Apparently there is variation in testing process from ship to ship, determined I guess by captain or cruise director or doctor or hotel director, etc.  Different experiences described on Facebook.  Some were assigned times by decks.  Some by zodiac number.  On Spirit it was apparently unstructured:  here are some hours when you can get a test, come whenever you like.  Not surprising that some people had smooth experience (no lines) and others a bumpy one (lines, waits, etc.)

41 minutes ago, Observer said:

Apparently there is variation in testing process from ship to ship, determined I guess by captain or cruise director or doctor or hotel director, etc.  Different experiences described on Facebook.  Some were assigned times by decks.  Some by zodiac number.  On Spirit it was apparently unstructured:  here are some hours when you can get a test, come whenever you like.  Not surprising that some people had smooth experience (no lines) and others a bumpy one (lines, waits, etc.)

Captain possibly, but more likely HD in conjunction with the Doctor. It would never, ever be the responsibility of the Cruise Director.

The CDC has gone to level 4.....Do not cruise!

The COVID-19 Travel Health Notice level has been updated from Level 3 to Level 4, the highest level. This reflects increases in cases onboard cruise ships since identification of the Omicron variant.

Key Information for Cruise Ship Travelers

• Avoid cruise travel, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants.
  • The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads easily between people in close quarters on board ships, and the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is very high, even if you are fully vaccinated and have received a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose.
  • Outbreaks of COVID-19 have been reported on cruise ships.
  • If you travel on a cruise ship, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel and get a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose if you are eligible.

20 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Silver Spirit has essentially cancelled the balance of its cruise. We have 17 passengers and 4 crew who have tested positive for COVID and have been quarantined in the "red zone" on level 6. Quite a few others are quarantined in their staterooms as close contacts of those testing positive.   As the 20 cases represent about 2% of the people onboard, all our future ports-of-call have denied us docking rights. The captain has announced we will reduce speed and head back to FLL with four at sea days instead of two ports and two days at sea.

So sorry to hear about the "adjustment" with the schedule for Silver Spirit.  Four sea days in a row for the Caribbean would significantly disappoint me, especially with so many passenger confined to their rooms, etc.

Be interested to know if the staff is now providing any special and/or added ship-board activities or entertainment to fill up these four sea days and make this situation more interesting?

Prior to the Covid spike-up, two questions: Q#1:  Was this ship having the regular evening entertainment and shows?  Any special seating or distance requirements?   Q#2: Did this cruise have a special speaker and/or destination expert doing programs?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 234,657 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

The CD has added a few extra entertainment activities today and is promising a spectacular New Year party on the pool deck starting at 9:30. All the entertainers have been scheduled to perform. Sounds good. Let's see how much fun it will be all masked up.

All shows have continued despite the spike in cases. They have some very high quality singers this trip and the shows have been generally very good. Tonight we have comedy magician Danny Buckler for a pre-dinner show. I have heard he is good.

Professor Dr. Dick Farkas is the enrichment lecturer. I haven't been as the subject matter seems too heavy.

The captain has announced that Silversea will provide all passengers with a complimentary FCC valued at 30% of the cost of this cruise to compensate for the inconveniences. Very generous; but also good marketing as it almost guarantees that everyone on board will now book another cruise.

Have the "masking requirements' increased on board the Spirit since the beginning of the 12/21 sailing? I was on the 12/9-12/21 sailing where masking was simply required in public areas and when not eating or drinking indoors. Not at all required outdoors. Has this changed?

5 hours ago, CJANDH said:

The captain has announced that Silversea will provide all passengers with a complimentary FCC valued at 30% of the cost of this cruise to compensate for the inconveniences.

It's like getting paid to eat and drink on a tropical sea. I can think of worse things! Seriously, though, you seem to have a realistic outlook and great attitude, @CJANDH Have fun!

2 hours ago, molemaui said:

Have the "masking requirements' increased on board the Spirit since the beginning of the 12/21 sailing? I was on the 12/9-12/21 sailing where masking was simply required in public areas and when not eating or drinking indoors. Not at all required outdoors. Has this changed?

Is this really necessary?  All Silversea guests are of course fully vaccinated.  Here is recent CDC guidance:

Current data suggest the risk of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in outdoor settings is low. In general, fully vaccinated people do not need to wear a mask outdoors. Fully vaccinated people might choose to wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings if they or someone in their household is immunocompromised, at increased risk of severe disease, or not fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Observer said:

Is this really necessary?  All Silversea guests are of course fully vaccinated.  Here is recent CDC guidance:

Current data suggest the risk of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in outdoor settings is low. In general, fully vaccinated people do not need to wear a mask outdoors. Fully vaccinated people might choose to wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings if they or someone in their household is immunocompromised, at increased risk of severe disease, or not fully vaccinated.

I'm well aware of that. What I asked of anyone on board currently if things are different then they were when I sailed the Spirit December 9-21 just one sailing prior. We had zero cases of Covid and abided by moderate masking rules whether we liked it or not or whether we thought it was necessary or not.

Silversea and many other lines are going beyond CDC guidance,. My next cruise is next week on Oceania. It was booked in early December when no masks were required, Now they are,. 

10 hours ago, molemaui said:

I'm well aware of that. What I asked of anyone on board currently if things are different then they were when I sailed the Spirit December 9-21 just one sailing prior. We had zero cases of Covid and abided by moderate masking rules whether we liked it or not or whether we thought it was necessary or not.

Silversea and many other lines are going beyond CDC guidance,. My next cruise is next week on Oceania. It was booked in early December when no masks were required, Now they are,. 

Compliance with masking has increased significantly in the second half of the trip as positive continue to increase. Our cruise director, Aime, tested positive on Dec 31 and has been quarantined. People were being more careful until last night when there was a big New Year Party on the pool deck. Even though it was outside people were getting awful close to each other and a lot of masks came off as the booze went down.

• Thanks 1