Extra deck on the Reflection, what's the story?

zitsky

On 12/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, cruise kitty said:

When Reflection sails full, Blu is a zoo...not the same experience as on other ships.     Love Reflection, going on her again in May, but would only do either suite, or regular balcony & eat in Tuscan each night it's the only ship (for myself) that Blu doesn't quite work due to overcrowding.  

Agree 1000% (if that's possible🙂).  On our last full sailing, lines out the door every night, often 10-12 couples deep.  We ended up going to dinner at 8:30-8:45 to try to beat some of the crowds.  Maitre d' refusing to honor the fact that suite guests are only allowed on a space available basis (had a couple of large tables with suite guests every night).  Bars are also more crowded.  Just had a wonderful experience on Reflection in a sky suite, but would think twice and then some before booking AQ on Reflection in 'normal' times.

• Like 1

I love the S class ships for many reasons as a lot of other passengers do as I gather from these forums.

Therefore I have always wondered why X switched to Edge class and so stubornly sticks with it despite lots of complaints and even suggestions for improvements are ignored ?

Also the German product is superior to the ships made in France.

So why the change, is it just a matter of price ?

10 minutes ago, odysee said:

I love the S class ships for many reasons as a lot of other passengers do as I gather from these forums.

Therefore I have always wondered why X switched to Edge class and so stubornly sticks with it despite lots of complaints and even suggestions for improvements are ignored ?

Also the German product is superior to the ships made in France.

So why the change, is it just a matter of price ?

How much are they charging for those infinite verandas, and what percentage of cabins are they?

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Yep, an ocean view cabin marketed as a veranda. 🤥 Don’t let those bi-fold doors fool you. 

Marketed as an Infinity veranda.  Have you ever heard of a French balcony?  My understanding is the Infinity Veranda is far superior to a French Balcony.  

On 12/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, D C said:

Spot on.

They just moved the pool area up one deck and put more rooms below.  Follow the blue glass from the rear towards the front in these pics to see:

Others:

image.png.4f9972505e9e6074ac5a3d367a698432.png

Reflection:

image.png.c14d8b3cf255d3a542e0db171d06999f.png

so what did they remove on deck 14 to make room for the pool and chair hogs?

6 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Marketed as an Infinity veranda.  Have you ever heard of a French balcony?  My understanding is the Infinity Veranda is far superior to a French Balcony.  

Yes it isn't the same. But unlike an ocean view..the window does open.

My complaint was that the veranda area is quite small. if two people are standing on it and want to close the bifold doors... you have to remove some furniture to do it.. If your bed is by the window...well you have to consider placing a chair or table on it to close the doors... Frankly they should just get rid of them...they serve no real purpose.

Now I kinda liked it myself... I burn easily and usually spend very little time on a veranda..these allowed me to enjoy the view without the sun. I can see this being a nice cabin on an inner passage Alaskan cruise..where you don't want to miss a thing. And for a climate that is too hot or too cold to enjoy... DH hated it... He likes to sit out on one and read. It seemed that everytime I was on an excursion the captain locked the windows for cleaning...ticking of DH who would be sitting there reading. My suggestion is that they close windows only as they are cleaning so that they don't stay locked for hours. 

What I really likeed about Edge was the cabin bathroom... very well designed and spacious.. but to accomplish this they take some cabin space. The chest of drawers made up for less hanging space. But I think this could be a problem on longer cruises..unless you do what I do which is pack two suit cases and unpack one and then unpack the second as the cruise progresses...packing up some of the worn items. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How much are they charging for those infinite verandas, and what percentage of cabins are they?

Almost all veranda cabins on the Edge class are IV.. the only exceptions are sunset verandas on the fan tail and a few cabins set inside the structure with what looks like a porthole opening when viewed from outside. However the size of the verandas is just as small as the IV ones... the benefit those is sliding doors ..vs the bifold doors which are useless.  Edge class tends to be more expensive than S class...or at least was pre pandemic.. I have not checked lately.

I prefer S class for a host of reasons. Those that think they can make substantial changes likely have no idea just how costly that would be... They made commitments to multiple ships long before they launched the first. And since some love them..they have a market for it. I just hope the company realizes that there are a lot of us who would try another line rather than go back on this class of ship.  

• Like 2

Kearney, the five Solstice ships will give everyone another Celebrity option for many years.  And most likely some of  Millennium class ships.

I certainly missed Murano’s and Tucson Grill when on the Apex.

Edited by jagoffee

On 12/13/2021 at 2:56 PM, neverlaysup said:

Do you hate the E class as a whole or just the infinite veranda?? We have a suite with normal balcony on the Apex in February and looking at the video's, it looks nice. 

My feelings about the E class ship has improved a little since March 2019. When we cruised on the Edge in a S1 mid ship. Our suite was fine, better now with a coffee table to eat breakfast on. Luminae was to loud. No real bar in the Retreat Lounge and lack of shade on the Retreat pool deck. The list goes on. Many people do like the Edge ships, I'm just not one of them.

We have only cruised on Reflection twice. Once in Aqua and the other in a S1 that had been a Aquasuite. Aquasuites were added to deck 12 when the pool was move up one level. Then the AS's were changed to S1's at some point. What I like about Aquaclass was Blu and the shower wall. We were on Millie last Oct in Aquaclass and the shower wall was gone.☹️

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Kearney, the five Solstice ships will give everyone another Celebrity option for many years.  And most likely some of  Millennium class ships.

I certainly missed Murano’s and Tucson Grill when on the Apex.

You are correct they will likely keep the S class for as long as I am able to cruise... not sure if they will hold onto the M class that long..  I do love the food and service in Murano and frankly the Tuscan grill view is fabulous. I like booking that for sunset when leaving a port... nice to watch the port dissapear as the sun goes down over a nice glass of wine. The table side service at Murano is worth the extra price. 

We haven't had a chance to try M class yet. DH uses a scooter and we have found newer ships like the S class are better should you need to park it in your cabin. M class layout with bed by the bathroom really requires an accessible cabin. And since DH can still step into a shower we hate to take up one of those for the sake of parking a scooter. But I have heard nice things about this class of ship.

• Like 1

Edge class has 5 ships, the 3rd ship, the Beyond will be 66' longer than the Edge and Apex, the 4th, the Ascent, started construction last month and while specs weren't revealed its a safe bet it will at least be the same size as the Beyond.  5th ship is ordered but no known details.

I'm booked on the Reflection for April, I just got off the Equinox this past Nov and the Edge this past July.  I stayed in a porthole balcony and visited several people staying in the IV.  They could greatly improve the IV experience if they simply allowed the AC to run when the IV glass is lowered.  Because I choose to sail the Caribbean in late July, I elected to stay in a porthole room so I could both keep my room cold/humidity low and enjoy the balcony.

(note, not my picture):

1EECD1FC-9D3B-4BBE-8AD1-95092E431F44.jpeg

20 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

so what did they remove on deck 14 to make room for the pool and chair hogs?

Nothing. The pool deck and the upper pool deck moved up to where there was only blue sky above. 

With the Reflection redesign they also cut the size of the Sky Lounge by 50% and added some high end suites in that area.  Reflection and signature suites.  Initially they were going to make the same change to the Silhouette during the upgrade, but they did not.  

Celebrity  continued that approach with the Edge series as they took out the Sky lounge and replaced it with two supersized Iconic Suites.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 2:06 PM, STLCRUISIN said:

The S class ships, except Reflection, have the pool on deck 12 and the buffet on deck 14. On Reflection the pool was moved up 1 deck to deck 14 and rooms were added under the pool on deck 12 (there is no deck 13 on any ships). There is not physically an additional deck on Reflection.

MSC ships have deck 13, but not a 17. Italian thing.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:34 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Agree 1000% (if that's possible🙂).  On our last full sailing, lines out the door every night, often 10-12 couples deep.  We ended up going to dinner at 8:30-8:45 to try to beat some of the crowds.  Maitre d' refusing to honor the fact that suite guests are only allowed on a space available basis (had a couple of large tables with suite guests every night).  Bars are also more crowded.  Just had a wonderful experience on Reflection in a sky suite, but would think twice and then some before booking AQ on Reflection in 'normal' times.

Deja vu

We had that same issue in BLU on our one and only Ref cruise...Suite Concierge was walking suite guests in ahead of AQ  guests every night..After many complaints, they stopped.  Seems it is a recurring issue on this ship. It is a nice space but was being overloaded..poor  service.

(Issue of large groups at back tables in BLU is on all ships..Too loud, take up alot of staff  and non big groups or couples are bunched up away ftom the din.)

We  found many areas on Ref were too crowded and  we did not care for the revised layout.  Spa and Solarium were on diff decks, nightclub was truncated and the aft circular bar was very crowded with "long term " patrons.

The bar cuts the area in half which.makes it hard to enjoy music. And people used the seat lounge area to lay out in the sun.

Wall to Wall.

It was our least fav S Class ship. Fav is Silhouette. We  have enjoyed EDGE and trying BEYOND.

Diff strokes for diff folks

Stay Healthy

Edited by hcat

On 12/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, zitsky said:

I tried searching for this but I guess I broke the search tool.  I booked a cruise recently (Eclipse) and noticed the Reflection, listed in the catalog, has one more deck than the other S class ships.  Anyone know why this is?  The wikipedia entry is pretty brief.

Little FYI for you regarding some things that came up in this thread.    When Celebrity announced the S class ships in a press release years ago they said there would be five ships in the class.   When they announced what turned out to be Edge class, they said there would be four ships in the series.   My guess, based on past experience is they will either decide to build another ship in Edge series or they are already working on a new series.   Changes were made over the years to difference classes, perhaps biggest many years ago was when verandas started to become popular.   On the Century class ships they added extra length to the Mercury which gave them some extra public space and some new cabins.   Alway remember much depends on financing. 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:18 PM, rmalbers said:

Oh, and just to add E class was designed for the Retreat level, S class was designed for suite level, and/including specialty dining, and M class is/has all that retrofitted into it and it shows.   It's the evolution of cruising. 

S class was NOT designed for suite level, all the major suite areas including Luminae were retrofitted onto the ships, that is why some of them have not been revolutionized.    All have Luminae which was carved out of a portion of the dining room.   Blu was new to the S class ships thus its own area. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Edge class has 5 ships, the 3rd ship, the Beyond will be 66' longer than the Edge and Apex, the 4th, the Ascent, started construction last month and while specs weren't revealed its a safe bet it will at least be the same size as the Beyond.  5th ship is ordered but no known details.

I'm booked on the Reflection for April, I just got off the Equinox this past Nov and the Edge this past July.  I stayed in a porthole balcony and visited several people staying in the IV.  They could greatly improve the IV experience if they simply allowed the AC to run when the IV glass is lowered.  Because I choose to sail the Caribbean in late July, I elected to stay in a porthole room so I could both keep my room cold/humidity low and enjoy the balcony.

(note, not my picture):

1EECD1FC-9D3B-4BBE-8AD1-95092E431F44.jpeg

The original press release for Edge class ships had four ships.