Anyone Back from Costa Maya...

Random thoughts:

* Stores and restaurants open for business.

* Dolphin experience...$.

* Bird sanctuary/rope bridge...$.

* Large swimming pool...free, but most choose to purchase food or drinks.

* Real flamingos onsite...took pictures.

* 3 Mayan temples...1 inside the shopping complex...1 just a couple of minutes walk outside the gate...and a third massive temple, with slides, located just right of the second temple. (Slides/Mayan temple closed)

* No accessible beach...and if there was, water may be a bit rough.

* There is a sand area with loungers...free...people choose to buy drinks.

* Taxis are lined up, in front, inside tbe gate, that will offer to take you anywhere.

* There were also taxis lined up outside the gate...guessing perhaps cheaper or more negotiable rates.

* Lastly, we observed numerous stores along the main street, outside the gate, either closed, under construction or renovation. We were there last month.

• Thanks 2

On 12/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, Justmekaren918 said:

How was your trip @ Costa Maya in the last month or so & what did you experience during your time? How It go & what did you notice?

We were there last Wednesday.  As a previous poster said, no pier trolly was operating.  The port shopping area has expanded significantly since we were there 2.5 years ago, but in the Mayan tongue "Costa Maya" still means "Overpriced Tacos".  IMHO, if you're not going to a beach club or to a specific Mayan site you're better off waiting on shopping and tours until you reach Cozumel... better prices, more selection, and cheaper tacos.  😁

--bruce T.

• Like 2

Was in Costa Maya on Friday.  Every time we go there, I am quickly reminded that it's my least favorite port.  But then it's mostly my fault, as I never seem to remember exactly how to get to the sole exit from the shopping area easily.  

We always go to Maya Chan, IMHO one of the best beach days you can have.

We were there on the Allure the week of December 5.  We went to MayaChan the last time we were there and had plans for Cozumel and Roatan, so thought we would just relax around the pool in Costa Maya.  There was very little relaxing done.  As we were putting our towels on loungers by the pool at 10:27 a.m., a waiter handed us a menu so we could order.  I told him we hadn’t even sat down yet and it was too early to drink.  At 10:29, another waiter showed up, still before we were even sitting.  I told him he was the second waiter during the first two minutes we were there, we hadn’t even sat down, we fully intended to purchase food and drinks later, and asked him if there was a minimum.  He grinned and left us alone after that.  The music was so loud that relaxing was impossible, and there was a constant stream of people walking past, looking for chairs (there were three ships that day).  After an hour or so, we got the attention of a passing waiter and ordered some soft drinks.  We called it a day at that point (maybe ninety minutes) and left.  We were excited to see a tram on the pier and happy to sit down.  Eventually the other people on the tram told us it was the only one and the driver had unhitched it, left it on the pier, and drove the tractor into the port.  

We won’t go to Costa Maya without making other plans again.  It was just too loud and crowded to be able to relax, have lunch, and walk through the aviary as planned.

• Like 1

I was there last thursday with 4 ships in port. I heard was a record. Celebrity apex was nosed up to rcl serenade, best they could park I think. 4 is crowding that pier. The weather was 79 degrees and not raining.

I was told right past the pool there is a place to do a left and get to a private beach area. 

1 hour ago, Btank said:

We were there last Wednesday.  As a previous poster said, no pier trolly was operating.  The port shopping area has expanded significantly since we were there 2.5 years ago, but in the Mayan tongue "Costa Maya" still means "Overpriced Tacos".  IMHO, if you're not going to a beach club or to a specific Mayan site you're better off waiting on shopping and tours until you reach Cozumel... better prices, more selection, and cheaper tacos.  😁

--bruce T.

Pier Trolley  was working couple of weeks ago . 

Edited by ssb

39 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Was in Costa Maya on Friday.  Every time we go there, I am quickly reminded that it's my least favorite port.  But then it's mostly my fault, as I never seem to remember exactly how to get to the sole exit from the shopping area easily.  

We always go to Maya Chan, IMHO one of the best beach days you can have.

Is the map they sent out recently accurate in terms of getting out of the shopping area?

We were there a week ago yesterday on the Serenade and pre-booked the Maya Chan beach resort.  It was fantastic and would do it again!  The service and food was outstanding.  Just be sure to read all the details, as they are completely transparent about the bumpy road getting there as well as the natural condition of the water.   Excellent value too!

Edited by megfla

We were there two weeks ago and had a fantastic day at Maya Chan.  The beach was beautiful, weather was gorgeous, food was amazing and margaritas were the best I’ve ever had.  The road is a very bumpy beach road but it did not seem as bad coming back.  Maybe the margaritas? 😂

Sherri🙂

I was there on the Allure a couple weeks ago. Shopping is over-priced and when I tried to bargain with one of them, he got very surly. It reminded me of my previous experience at Costa Maya. Honestly, staying in the port area isn't an optimal situation. I recommend either taking an excursion (highly recommend Chacchoben), taking local transport to an outlying beach or staying on the ship.

In the past there was some entertainment staged (aerial act) when they passed a hat afterward for tips, but even that wasn't going on.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:37 PM, Justmekaren918 said:

How was your trip @ Costa Maya in the last month or so & what did you experience during your time? How It go & what did you notice?

Was there in October, never left the ship. This port ranks near the top of ports we would rather never see again. 

Edited by Blauelini
  • Like 1

Was there a few days ago with 3 other ships. Did not see the shuttle but there were plenty of taxis to take you to town. We walked to town (done this about 5 times so far) and it took us 35 minutes from the terminal gate to the light-house. We usually walk the main road going to town and then the back-way through the residential section coming back (saw some really cool birds as well as millions of army-ants on the way back). Also saw locals building a new building which was AMAZING (6-8 guys continually climbing a 3-story ladder with a 5 gallon bucket of concrete balanced on their heads).

Most of the stores right outside the gate are closed. The "Tequilla museum" is also closed now. Downtown is mostly open. We walked all the way to the end (where the yellow barriers are). There were two areas that were pretty packed with people but then other areas that were pretty barren. Prices have always been higher than Cozumel so not sure why anyone buys things at this port. As long as the wind is not blowing too hard, snorkeling from the beach in front of the lighthouse is decent. There are about a half-dozen or so coral-heads that have some nice fish (and an octopus) on them.

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

We ate at the Flavors of Mexico in the tourist center just off the ship, and I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning there.

Sorry that happened to you. I dont eat anything in any port and will only drink from a factory sealed bottle. I havent been sick yet . Only food i consume is on the ship.

2 hours ago, loman said:

Sorry that happened to you. I dont eat anything in any port and will only drink from a factory sealed bottle. I havent been sick yet . Only food i consume is on the ship.

First time I've had an issue, but I ate something that hubby didn't, and I had all the "fun". Fortunately, everything resolved by the next morning, or I would have felt honor-bound  to report to medical, and probably would have spent the rest of the cruise in isolation.

On the other hand..... The best excursion we have ever done, in almost 40 years of cruising, was the Native Way, David and Ivan (Google it) ruins tour several years ago. We would have booked it and gone again, except that due to recent knee surgery I couldn't do the walking. Best thing to do in Costa Maya, IMO.

7 hours ago, Btank said:

--bruce T.

Wed., Dec. 15th? What ship were you on? We were on the Harmony and were supposed to be in Costa Maya that day, but were told we couldn't dock because of swells at the pier.

2 minutes ago, crmc said:

Wed., Dec. 15th? What ship were you on? We were on the Harmony and were supposed to be in Costa Maya that day, but were told we couldn't dock because of swells at the pier.

My bad - it was Thursday the 16th.  I was on Liberty; Serenade was in port with us, as well as Celebrity Apex and MSC Meraviglia.

Sorry for the confusion...      --bruce T.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, HicksRA said:

We were there last Sunday. The trolley was not operating and we didn’t want to walk all the way to port so turned around and got back on the ship. Been there many times already got the T-shirt.  

So no bus service to Majahaul? Used to be $3 a person to take the bus over. I've walked it once but a bad knee keeps me from doing that again. Are the taxis running?

11 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

First time I've had an issue, but I ate something that hubby didn't, and I had all the "fun". Fortunately, everything resolved by the next morning, or I would have felt honor-bound  to report to medical, and probably would have spent the rest of the cruise in isolation.

On the other hand..... The best excursion we have ever done, in almost 40 years of cruising, was the Native Way, David and Ivan (Google it) ruins tour several years ago. We would have booked it and gone again, except that due to recent knee surgery I couldn't do the walking. Best thing to do in Costa Maya, IMO.

Is this tour called "Native Choice"  ?? and if that's the one, which tour do you recommend. They have several.

17 hours ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Is the map they sent out recently accurate in terms of getting out of the shopping area?

Pretty much, yes.  Although it isn't a straight shot out, which would make it much easier to navigate.  Kinda like walking through an IKEA where you have to pass every single display item on your way out of the store.