HAL Zuiderdam vs Princess Royal Princess

Carlys_chaos

I’m taking a multi-generational trip to Alaska this May- my husband, 10 year old, 77 year old stepdad, and myself. I’m currently deciding between two itineraries.

1. HAL Zuiderdam Inside Passage: Depart Vancouver, Inside Passage, Tracy Arm Inlet, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Arrive Vancouver 

2. Princess Royal Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Northbound: Depart Vancouver, Sea Day, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Arrive Anchorage.

Thoughts on the two itineraries and lines? HAL would save us $200/each. My son is most interested in learning about the wildlife and nature, not so much on-ship entertainment and shows. My stepdad is just along for the ride, haha!! I’m leaning towards HAL, but this will probably be a one-time thing for us so I want to make sure I’m choosing wisely. I appreciate your input! 

I've sailed on both ships. If the entertainment isn't important, then go with the HAL ship. It has better viewing areas for the glaciers around the ship. I wouldn't recommend a one-way itinerary unless you have time to tour more after your cruise. 

• Like 2

I've been on Zuiderdam on that itinerary and on Princess (different itinerary).  HAL did a very good job on this.  Zuiderdam is not a new ship, but it works.  Princess tends to have a younger crowd. That all said both go to Glacier Bay, which I would say is a must.  We did not get very far into Tracy Arm so I'd recommend taking the excursion to the Sawyer Glaciers. The itineraries are fairly similar so check the time in port to make sure they are consistent.  Good luck and enjoy.

Make sure that you compare the times in port. One of the HAL stops in 2021 was Juneau from 1 -10 pm which to me stinks. Also check how c-19 tests might affect border crossing to VAN but that is pretty unknown now. Canada (home)- Van-Van or US (home)-Van-AK & fly home. Also understand that when they say ANC they likely mean fairly long train or bus to the airport.  This May is not very far off. Sightcrr. 

Edited by SightCRR
add ANC info.

Thank you all for the feedback! 
 Between those two options, we’ve decided on HAL. 

Follow on question though: the other option is Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas. Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver. Would this itinerary be better for two people that have never cruised? My stepdad gets restless sitting around, so would it be better to have more stops? Or are the glaciers more important? 

• Like 1

I have not been on R/C so can't comment on ship, food, rooms or activities. We like cheaper rooms and more money for off ship tours. The stops look very good to me. Fly to ANC, bus/train to Seward and add small boat glacier trip before cruise, Hubbard not Glacier Bay but spectacular & sometimes closer, JUN whale watching & or glacier, Skag train (if construction is complete), Haines gold panning ??, ISP zip line or short nature walk, Ketch crab boat tour. The HAL only has three stops and even though the scenery is always changing there will be some down time. With R/C six stops plus Seward has hardly time to catch your breath.  Most of our trips have been on HAL.  sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

3 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

Follow on question though: the other option is Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas. Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver. Would this itinerary be better for two people that have never cruised? My stepdad gets restless sitting around, so would it be better to have more stops? Or are the glaciers more important? 

Good decision. 

I have been to Alaska 15 times on HAL and will be on your ship the last week of April.  That means I will be posting the daily activities brochure, When & Where, as well as menus to help in your planning.

Tracy Arm will be just sailing past the entrance since there will be too many ice flows to be safe.

Here is a link to my photo reviews of the ports you will visit:  Alaska Ports

I strongly recommend the Bering Sea Crab Fishing excursion in Ketchikan that stops to feed the eagles.  All of the swooping eagles grabbing fish from the water plus the crab fishing demos from the TV series "Deadliest Catch" makes it one of the top excursions in Alaska.  The boat is mobility-friendly, overhead heaters, and good seating.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050039.jpg

Skagway - Any train ride but especially the excursion to Lake Bennett for amazing pictures with snow still in May.  Train is heated but great photos from the platforms between the cars.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/white-pass-yukon-railroad/p5212151.jpg

Juneau - Any whale watching.  Bigger boats have more amenities (restrooms, snack bar, great heat, mobility friendly) whereas the smaller boats have the minimum facilities.  All boats go to the same place and see the same whales.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/orcas/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-060-2.jpg

Glacier Bay - bring binoculars and keep watch for the baby harbor seals on the ice flows near the glaciers.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/harbor-seals/P5246680-2.jpg

Enjoy your planning. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

Many feel Glacier Bay is a must....I don't. Really consider the RCI itinerary Radiance is a great ship and that itinerary is a favorite of ours but we do prefer doing it the North Bound instead.

4 hours ago, Carlys_chaos said:

we’ve decided on HAL

I specifically agree with Crew News' following recommendations.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

I strongly recommend the Bering Sea Crab Fishing excursion in Ketchikan that stops to feed the eagles.  All of the swooping eagles grabbing fish from the water plus the crab fishing demos from the TV series "Deadliest Catch" makes it one of the top excursions in Alaska.  The boat is mobility-friendly, overhead heaters, and good seating.

Skagway - Any train ride but especially the excursion to Lake Bennet

Glacier Bay - bring binoculars and keep watch for the baby harbor seals on the ice flows near the glaciers.

Regarding your question about the Radiance of the Sea:  The ports of Haines and Skagway are very close to each other.  Ships that are unable to dock at Skagway sometimes will dock at Haines and guests will take excursions to Skagway.  That itinerary appears you are "getting a bit more Alaska", but really not.  

IMHO, Hubbard Glacier is not very scenic as it only has one glacier, which is very close to the sea (have been there once), but Glacier Bay is a "real" bay with the main feature being the John Hopkins Glacier.  It's spectacular in May/June, not so much in Sept in my experience.

I would also favor the Zuiderdam for this itinerary.

Edited by BarbinMich

I prefer Glacier Bay to Hubbard Glacier. I do think Zuiderdam has better viewing areas on the ship than Royal Princess. I prefer Royal Princess's itinerary. 

In May - it is going to be rare to get to the glaciers in Tracy Arm.

Tough choices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I was thinking that Skagway and Haines were two different days. 7-5 in Skag is ok but 7-11pm in Haines stinks. Sunset is about 9-10 pm. sightcrr. 

I'm betting some people will take the ferry from Skagway to Haines on that day, either independently or on excursions through the cruiseline. There's not much time to see anything there from 7 to 11. 

I still advise to do a roundtrip cruise unless you're able to spend time in Alaska before that itinerary. I wouldn't want to fly to Anchorage and transfer to the port the first day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, geoherb said:

I still advise to do a roundtrip cruise unless you're able to spend time in Alaska before that itinerary. I wouldn't want to fly to Anchorage and transfer to the port the first day.

I have no problems with one ways. I have to fly all day as I don't have direct flights anywhere. So it is not any more to fly to Anchorage than Vancouver. When you do a one way cruise, generally your times in port are better and you have one less sea day (with out a glacier). One way trips are just better for seeing Alaska.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, geoherb said:

I'm betting some people will take the ferry from Skagway to Haines on that day, either independently or on excursions through the cruiseline. There's not much time to see anything there from 7 to 11. 

Same as Coral, I also recommend 1-way cruises, as it provides a greater exposure to Alaska than the touristy SE Alaska ports. Especially N'bd cruises that cruise through Prince William Sound.

Having completed 2-full seasons of R/T cruises, it can get very repetitive.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:10 PM, Carlys_chaos said:

My son is most interested in learning about the wildlife and nature, not so much on-ship entertainment and shows.

Your ship should have a naturalist. Seek them out as they are a wealth of info on wildlife, geology and culture.  They will be providing talks on the area including spots along the way for increased chances of seeing wildlife.

• Like 1

I still don't recommend one-way cruises unless you have time to spend in Alaska before or after your cruise. From my airport, getting to Anchorage is tedious. Even the itineraries with one stop take 12 or more hours and put arrival in Anchorage at after midnight. I'd only do it if I could spend at least a couple of nights in Alaska before a cruise. 

On 12/26/2021 at 11:38 AM, geoherb said:

I still don't recommend one-way cruises unless you have time to spend in Alaska before or after your cruise. From my airport, getting to Anchorage is tedious. Even the itineraries with one stop take 12 or more hours and put arrival in Anchorage at after midnight. I'd only do it if I could spend at least a couple of nights in Alaska before a cruise. 

And I still recommend one way cruises in Alaska for the times in port. It is not easy for me to fly anywhere if it be Vancouver or Anchorage - I am flying all day regardless. I like as much time in port and I find RT Seattle cruises lacking in times in port. Plus, you get 2 glacier days. I have done 2 RT Seattle cruises and 1 RT Vancouver cruises and they were my least favorite Alaskan cruises. The trips I have enjoyed the most have been one way cruises.

For some of us - flights are inconvenient regardless. I have no direct flights anywhere.

I can see why those Seattle round trips are so popular as they are just easier logistically for most. We did one last May and it was a short cab ride to the pier. Seattle is also usually easier and cheaper airfare wise.

Another option, and one we’re looking at this May, is the 14 night roundtrip from Vancouver on Princess. It’s basically a b2b but can be booked as a 14 night. Fares just went down to $829 for two weeks and you get 3 glacier days including 2 days in Glacier Bay!

• Like 1

HAL used to offer a 14 day RT from Seattle that visited most of the popular ports, but added ports that aren't often visited such as Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak.  Maybe, as cruising is re-starting, that will become available again.  It was a very nice cruise!  

• Like 2

We did HAL round trip out of Vancouver with Glacier Bay mid August.  Doing a southbound one way with Celebrity out of Seward.  We get to see Hubbard glacier on this trip.  Taking the train from Anchorage to Seward and one night in Seward prior to cruise.  Going again in August.  

We like the ships with less passengers.  Would have gone with HAL again, but they don't do the one way that we wanted.  Have fun.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Would have gone with HAL again, but they don't do the one way that we wanted. 

Just my opinion, but the best Southbound itinerary is what Princess usually offers that includes Hubbard Glacier as well as Glacier Bay.  I have wondered why HAL does not also offer such an itinerary in either direction.  It's a winner!  

On 12/27/2021 at 11:36 PM, Coral said:

And I still recommend one way cruises in Alaska for the times in port. It is not easy for me to fly anywhere if it be Vancouver or Anchorage - I am flying all day regardless. I like as much time in port and I find RT Seattle cruises lacking in times in port. Plus, you get 2 glacier days. I have done 2 RT Seattle cruises and 1 RT Vancouver cruises and they were my least favorite Alaskan cruises. The trips I have enjoyed the most have been one way cruises.

For some of us - flights are inconvenient regardless. I have no direct flights anywhere.

Last year was perfect for RT cruises from Seattle since they got to skip going to Canada. We were in Ketchikan from 8 until 5, Skagway from 7 until 7, and Juneau from 1 until 10. That was plenty of time to do things in each port.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Just my opinion, but the best Southbound itinerary is what Princess usually offers that includes Hubbard Glacier as well as Glacier Bay.  I have wondered why HAL does not also offer such an itinerary in either direction.  It's a winner!  

I like the NB which gives me time in Juneau to do Adventure Bound Alaska. I absolutely hate 1-10 or 2-10 times in Juneau. Worthless. People often come here after they book something to realize that they are limited with those times on scheduling excursions.

I agree about SB which has both Hubbard and GB.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1