The Daily for Monday 12/27/2021

richwmn

Today is Make Cut Out Snowflakes Day, National Fruitcake Day, and Visit the Zoo Day

Any life is made up of a single moment, the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is. - Jorge Luis Borges

Meal Suggestion for today - Turkey Dumpling Stew
Drink of the Day - Whiskey Sour
Wine of the Day - Quinta do Crasto 2016 Reserva Vinhas Velhas Red (D
Destination of the Day - Qingdao, China

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam

Destination Half Moon Cay

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam

Destination Cabo San Lucax MX

Bridgetown, Barbados

Rotterdam

08:00 - 17:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Nieuw Statendam

08:00 - 17:00

Loreto, Baja California Mexico

Zuiderdam

08:00 - 23:00

Saint Thomas Island, Charlotte

Nieuw Amsterdam

USVI 08:00 - 16:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Westerdam

Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 12/29

Corfu GR

Volendam

Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam

Malaga ES (Spain)

Oosterdam

Anchorage

1227World.thumb.png.0af992921778701ce9303085001fc7f8.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.

It is 40°F cloudy and rain in NE England.

Thank you for posting today's daily and fleet reports Rich from your cruise ship.

Many of us made paper snowflakes at school.

Fruitcake is very nice.

Zoo's are important for the safety of animals and are interesting for us to see animals we would not normally see.

I will give the food and drink today a miss.

I am looking forward to seeing photos of today's destination.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

• Like 33

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I haven't been to a zoo recently, haven't cut snowflakes for many years but love fruit cake.  Pensive Borges quote.  The meal sounds nice.  Have not been to Quingdao, 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation
RIP Archbishop Tutu

Welfare of furloughed crews
Strength for Atexsix and healing for his father
Mamaofami’s friend and Walkerin hospice
1ANGELCAT with finger in splint
Mamaofami awaiting  Covid results
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
Tana’s continuing struggles

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kwanza
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers

Himself recovering from Covid
Av8rix (1/9) Seasick Sailor (1/16), Lindaler, garlictown, Sharon, and Rich(Rotterdam to 2 Jan)  a
Copper10_8 (Koningscam to ½) and Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8) at sea
msmayor in Virginia
luvteaching DH home from hospital
Ger_77 celebrating birthday in Calgary
HorizonChaser1957 in Chilliwack
Welcome home smitty34877
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Excess space
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 13

Good morning to all my friends on the Daily.

Thank you Rich for being up early and giving us the report.

I hope all is well on your cruise.

I think I will also pass on the meal and drinks.

We are still working on the leftover turkey and stuffing and other leftover stuff.

Nothing big planned for today.  Just staying home and trying to be safe.

Have a great day everyone and God Bless.

Terri

• Like 31

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm not a fan of Christmas cake, but I make it every year for my mom and husband.  Mom gobbles hers up quickly, hubby tries to make his last until the new year.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'd love a whisky sour, hope the wine is tasty too.

We've got a storm in our forecast - wind and snow this afternoon.  I'll stay in.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I haven't been to a zoo recently, haven't cut snowflakes for many years but love fruit cake.  Pensive Borges quote.  The meal sounds nice.  Have not been to Quingdao, 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation
RIP Archbishop Tutu

Welfare of furloughed crews
Strength for Atexsix and healing for his father
Mamaofami’s friend and Walkerin hospice
1ANGELCAT with finger in splint
Mamaofami awaiting  Covid results
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
Tana’s continuing struggles

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kwanza
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers

Himself recovering from Covid
Av8rix (1/9) Seasick Sailor (1/16), Lindaler, garlictown, Sharon, and Rich(Rotterdam to 2 Jan)  a
Copper10_8 (Koningscam to ½) and Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8) at sea
msmayor in Virginia
luvteaching DH home from hospital
Ger_77 celebrating birthday in Calgary
HorizonChaser1957 in Chilliwack
Welcome home smitty34877
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting today's care, celebrations and shout out lists Roy.

I hope your continuing radiotherapy treatment is having the desired results.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good morning from the beautiful Rotterdam. Thank you Rich for the fleet report. I'll skip the food and beverage selections, and no to China, past or future

Blessings and prayers to our Jacqui, Roy, Father, and Jose. Jacqui I hope you're able to be with Jose today. Xx

Played Trivia with Sharon, Rich, and Allen last night. We also had a quick visit from Linda and son. It's been fun meeting our Daily friends.

I heard from a friend our hospice friend woke up Christmas night. They didn't have details. Frustrating I know but I can't imagine what state his wife must be in. God bless them.

• Like 32

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebrations list. 

Thank you for keeping me on it.  I am improving, but far from where I should be.  

I hope you are doing okay from your radiation treatments that should be just about over.  Hope this takes care of your problems.

Prayers for Jacqui and Jose and the whole COVID situation at the hospital.

@Himselfhope you are recovering nicely from your bout with COVID and will be able to enjoy the New Year.

@mamaofamihope your PCR test is negative and you are feeling better.

@grapau27hope you are healing from your MOHS surgery and the scar will be hardly noticeable.

CHEERs to all celebrating and enjoying time on their cruises.  May they stay safe.

Have a great day.

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebrations list. 

Thank you for keeping me on it.  I am improving, but far from where I should be.  

I hope you are doing okay from your radiation treatments that should be just about over.  Hope this takes care of your problems.

Prayers for Jacqui and Jose and the whole COVID situation at the hospital.

@Himselfhope you are recovering nicely from your bout with COVID and will be able to enjoy the New Year.

@mamaofamihope your PCR test is negative and you are feeling better.

@grapau27hope you are healing from your MOHS surgery and the scar will be hardly noticeable.

CHEERs to all celebrating and enjoying time on their cruises.  May they stay safe.

Have a great day.

Terri

Thank you Terri.

I'm pleased to hear you are improving and hope you soon attain the very best health possible.

Take care.

Graham 

• Like 18

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  It’s back to work today so I won’t be cutting out paper snowflakes or going to the zoo.  Maybe a small slice of fruitcake this evening though.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice as does the drink.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I really think you should have a hand (👋🏻) waving next to the Rotterdam on your list of ships, since that is where you are on location. A fun combo of days. I always hated fruitcake. No clue why. I love both fruit and cake separately. 

Thank you for our lists Roy! I can only imagine how you feel being close to the end of your treatments. Morning Dailyites! A bit of fog here, but already 60F and climbing.

An early appointment, then to one of my more challenging exercise classes. I discovered that hours after I could only post via my phone, I could react and post from my iPad. No rhyme or reason that I can figure out anyway. 

Let me wrap up this year’s holiday season with…

8C14BB99-75C2-42AA-ABDB-9377A0BAD0BC.jpeg.f902380c83a0052c707f6bc414cc99a3.jpeg

7017FC50-770E-4CDF-BD28-5194105487EB.jpeg.77566a723e4d0d4d45c25c1c8b4d423d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Quinta do Crasto 2016 Reserva Vinhas Velhas

All released vintages of this wine share the same excellent ratings, so pick up whichever one you can find.  You may need to hold the more recent vintages for a year or two. I found the 2016 online with prices starting at $34.98.

Winemaker Notes

#49 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

The nose is very expressive, revealing the unique characteristics of its old vines: complex aromas of fresh gum cistus and berry fruit well integrated with light cocoa hints. Elegant on the palate, evolving into a firm wine, with excellent volume and a compact structure made of fresh, velvety-textured tannins. This is a wine with a distinctive identity and a long lingering, balanced finish.

This bold red pairs well with venison, beef and pasta dishes. 

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

A blend of 30 grape varieties from vines aged at least 70 years old, this wine boasts density and a firm structure. It’s powered by tannins, dark black-fruit flavors and great concentration, and is an impressive wine that needs much more time. Drink from 2022. Editors' Choice.

RP93 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2016 Reserva Old Vines (an average age of 70 years) represents 37 of Crasto's 42 plots and/or small vineyards of old vines. In 2016, three were discarded for poor performance, while Maria Teresa and Ponte were not included because they were bottled separately this year. It was aged for 16 to 18 months, depending on lot, in 65% new oak (85/15 French and American) and comes in at 14.5% alcohol. Solid in the mid-palate, this has impressive depth and a seductive demeanor. The finish lingers beautifully. After an initial creamy hit of texture, it becomes silkier and sensual. Beautifully balanced, this has moderate tannins. It drank well after some hours of double decanting, but it is not really ready to drink. It will be much better around 2023, although it is approachable.  Rating: 93+

JS93 James Suckling

This has aromas of blackcurrants, dried geraniums, cloves and walnuts. It’s full-bodied with firm, integrated tannins and wonderful depth. Layers of ripe black fruit with cacao beans on the finish. Drink or hold.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

Well, I posted this an hour ago and it's gone poof.  I remember cutting out snowflakes when in school.  I'll skip the fruitcake and really love visiting zoo's, especially the one in San Diego when the Panda's were there.

I'll pass on the meal, quote, and China.

Can't believe in 6 days we'll be back on board a BHB.

Major prayers for our care list and a big woohoo for our celebrations.

Thank you everyone for making this thread a wonderful place to be.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Whiskey Sour:

The whiskey sour is a mixed drink containing whiskey, lemon juice, sugar, and optionally, a dash of egg white or cocktails foamer. With the egg white, it is sometimes called a Boston Sour. With a few bar spoons of full-bodied red wine floated on top, it is often referred to as a New York Sour. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Whisky, Bourbon whiskey
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Bourbon whiskey, 1 dash egg white, 1 oz (2 parts) Fresh lemon juice, 1/2 oz (1 part) Gomme syrup
Preparation: Shake with ice. Strain into ice-filled old-fashioned glass to serve "on the rocks."
Served: Shaken; on the rocks
Standard garnish: Lemon rind, Maraschino cherry, Orange slice, Sugared glass
Drinkware: Cobbler, Old fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 7.30.42 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

It's a beautiful clear-sky morning here with temperatures around 60 degrees warming to the low 80's later.

I have always loved visiting zoos and am one of the few who really likes fruitcake.

For those of us living in the northern hemisphere, the days are getting longer. I can already see it getting light a few minutes earlier than last week.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 30

Good morning! Off to a routine medical appointment. Sure seems we get to do this more frequently as we age. When we first became empty Nestors we were able to get by with one car. As we aged we had to get another car as our appointments conflicted.

Do hope you all had as memorable holiday as we did.

Thanks Rich and all who contribute.

• Like 30

Good morning  and thanks for the Daily, Rich @richwmn.I am enjoying  reading about  your cruise.

We have not been  to China and look forward  to pictures. The recipe sounds interesting   and it is a nice group of days.

My DGD at age 11 is starting  to be a picky eater.The parental units insist that she eats what is on her plate.I was on one side of her and her twin was  onthe other.She passed him  turkey pieces  and I pretended not to see!It reminded me of my DB doing the same for me  a long  time ago.

DSIL left early this morning  with our Tana for an appointment  with the pulmonoligist  in the big city.

We have  had concerns about her increased  need for oxygen a day her fatigue  levels.Thank.you Roy,for including  her on the rotation.

Sending prayers and good wishes to Roy @rafinmd, Jacqui and Jose  @kazu, and Father @Himself and all on the care and celebration  lists.

Terry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I was in a rush this morning and will repost a sentence from the slightly off shout out list:

Av8rix (1/9) Seasick Sailor (1/16), Lindaler, garlictown, Sharon, and Rich(Rotterdam to 2 Jan)  and  Copper10_8 (Koningscam to ½) and Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8) at sea

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6