First time on NCL, likely the last time (long read)

Captain_Morgan

Firstly this is not meant to be a rant or complaint ridden thread, simply an objective account of our experience as first time NCL cruisers after having cruised many times on Princess, P&O, Cunard, Seabourn and Viking.  

We chose NCL as we wanted something different, a short trip, and to just get away from the cold winter weather and the 5 day holiday cruise on Getaway ticked the boxes.  
We arrived at the port approx 10:00am as we always travel light anyway and on this trip we weren’t checking in any large cases so were able to avoid a lot of the chaos…or so we thought.  As expected the outside of the terminal was a zoo with people everywhere waiting to board buses and the hapless ground staff were attempting to corral people much like herding cats.  Due to the lack of obvious signage amidst the throngs of people, we were guided to the wrong door and were abruptly told off by a terminal security guard for not having a wristband (identifier for having been tested in the terminal).  Not the most welcoming start to a vacation but not the end of the world and when we finally found where we were meant to be, the process was straightforward so long as you had your testing barcode and ID in hand ready for inspection.  
Testing in the terminal was another herding exercise, but nonetheless easy and painless as you stick the swab up your nose yourself instead of having someone scrape the back of your brain for you.  After all the testing was complete the actual terminal check in was quick and easy which was appreciated and the waiting began as with the ship returning to the US from Europe it meant Coast Guard inspections, etc resulted in a not too unreasonable delay.  
Once onboard we did the muster station check in, and off to the cabin we went which for this trip was a standard balcony on Deck 13.  

The cabin itself was as expected with enough space to be comfortable but the design/location of the closet was a bit of a pain unless you’re petite (which the majority of passengers onboard were most definitely not) and the couch/seating area was more decorative than comfortable.  
The bathroom was pleasantly larger than expected and it was nice to have a shower with a door and not a curtain that attacks you; however, the water pressure was abysmal and was more reminiscent of that in a campground than a cruise ship. 
The bed as well, albeit large enough for two people to sleep in was the opposite of comfortable and both my wife and I woke up most mornings feeling like we had been through Boot Camp.   

The ship itself was in good condition and the level of maintenance was visible with crew cleaning regularly; however, the concept of social distancing and other COVID protocols were paid lip service more than being enforced and the signs all over the ship were clearly for decoration.  Hot tubs were jammed full most of the time, the buffet was busier than most freeways at rush hour with people entering from all angles and the hapless crew standing near the sink with a bottle of hand sanitizer trying to get as many people to ‘washy washy’ as they could were missing more people than they were catching…but let’s not forget that hand sanitizer is not soap and water!

The design of the ship seemed very choppy and broken up with questionable use of space.  We enjoyed the Spice H2O area as it was relaxing most of the time during the day and there was always plenty of space to grab a lounge chair in the sun.  
The food onboard was mediocre at best although the presentation in the buffet was visually appealing even if it was the same offerings every day, or so it seemed.  
Moderna was very underwhelming and although not comparing it to a land based restaurant of the same theme, the entire experience was just very boring as the crew seemed very disinterested not only in the restaurants but generally around the ship.  

Further to the crew being less than helpful, I made an inquiry on day 2 about the pre departure COVID testing as was advertised at the time of booking.  The young lady at the desk said she had no information about testing being done this cruise but would make a note and get back to me.  Suffice it to say no attempt to ‘get back to me’ was made and it wasn’t until I followed up the day after (day 3 of 5) that someone replied that a note would be sent to the cabin IF testing was to be done which again didn’t instil any confidence in their process or protocols.  We eventually got the letter advising that testing would be done on the morning of the 26th (day 4) at 8:00am in the Bliss lounge and we had to tell them what kind of test was required (PCR or antigen).  
Testing went as scheduled and again, no onward information was provided re. when to expect results but knowing we wouldn’t be leaving the ship without them I didn’t worry too much.  
Morning of disembarkation and no results from our tests outside our cabin as I expected them to be which prompted a call to the desk for assistance.  After being asked by the person on the phone if I had checked outside the door, and confirming that I had with no success he then stated that the information had been sent by housekeeping at 5:00am and that he would chase it up for me and get back…again, famous last words!   After nearly 90 minutes with no results I chased again for the information and went through the same process of confirming I had checked outside the door, etc and was told they would get back to me.  Much to my surprise, this time someone did actually call me back and confirmed they had the information at the desk and would have it sent up.  As it was disembarkation day I knew it would be further delays for someone to drop off an envelope that should have been delivered hours earlier so instead i just said I would get it myself.  

Although the issues and observations we encountered might seem trivial to some, we just found the entire experience to be something not worth repeating in future.  
We are not ‘cheap’ but appreciate value for money and it just seemed that at every turn we were expected to spend for things which were either grossly overpriced (dinners, Starbucks, tours) or generally disappointing.

Crew from top to bottom seemed ‘put out’ to do basic things and the cruise director sounded and acted like a reject from a Nickelodeon kids program with his childish antics and sound effects during announcements. 

I’m sure many people enjoyed their cruise and will continue to funnel money into NCLs pockets but we will not likely be among them as the lack of value, woeful lack of interest and knowledge by crew and constant barrage of marketing nonsense was not something we are likely to sign up for again!

• Like 5

While we have not been on the Getaway, we have cruised with NCL quite a bit.  It seems most of your past cruise experience has been on lines that most would agree are a step up from NCL.  You are comparing a mainstream cruise line to luxury or even premium brands.  If you would compare NCL to RCCL or Carnival that is a much closer comparison.  We have always had pretty good success on NCL with the crew being attentive but have had a few times we were less then satisfied.  You are going to find that on any mainstream cruise line.  The bigger mainstream ships are going to be a less personal experience than luxury lines.  

• Like 13

So I think you will find that any main stream line is not strictly enforcing masks or distancing (go read reviews on the RCL or Carnival boards).  Also understand that most of us just off NCL were expecting maskless cruising, so you may have run into people who were defying the rules.  On my cruise it was not bad until about 10PM, and then it seemed all bets (and masks) were off.

As for the food, that is very subjective.  I would say NCL is better then Princess, but my last Princess cruise was in 2007, and I vowed to never go back as the ship was in poor repair and it seemed very dirty (again, we all have our opinions).   Did you try any other specialty restaurants?  MDR?  Can we get some context of where you ate?  I find Moderna to be my favorite restaurant and I am part Brazilian and frequent that type of restaurant on land.  I challenge you to spend 48 dollars per person on land and get the same food.  Around me in Raleigh NC it is usually that or more, with less selection on the bar (for sure no specialty seafood salads) and no free drinks.

The security guard was just doing their job, they are trying to strictly restrict people from an area you were not supposed to go to, the job is thankless, and they work super long hours (ask any of them when their day starts and ends).  It could have been that maybe you took it wrong as well.   Also, they don't work for NCL, they work for the pier, so it could have happened no matter the line you boarded.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

While we have not been on the Getaway, we have cruised with NCL quite a bit.  It seems most of your past cruise experience has been on lines that most would agree are a step up from NCL.  You are comparing a mainstream cruise line to luxury or even premium brands.  If you would compare NCL to RCCL or Carnival that is a much closer comparison.  We have always had pretty good success on NCL with the crew being attentive but have had a few times we were less then satisfied.  You are going to find that on any mainstream cruise line.  The bigger mainstream ships are going to be a less personal experience than luxury lines.  

We’ve cruised quite a lot on mainstream lines (Princess, P&O) and definitely went in expecting a mainstream experience; however, what we got was pretty subpar when it came to even basic customer service.  As mentioned, the ship was in a good state of repair but between the crew seemingly having no idea about their own offer of testing, lack of enforcement of their own policy, and basic things like being passed in the hallway and being greeted, it really just left the experience feeling less than expected.  

• Like 1

Sorry, @Captain_Morgan Princess is one of Carnival's higher-end lines, maybe P&O also.  Maybe not to the level of Seabourn or Cunard, but it's a step up from 'mainstream'.  NCL is the 'mainstream' line for NCLH while Oceania and Regent are the higher-end.

I agree with the other poster, the fair comparison is Royal Caribbean.  I see NCL as an intermediate between Carnival and Princess even if both Carnival and NCL can be classed as 'mainstream'.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

So I think you will find that any main stream line is not strictly enforcing masks or distancing (go read reviews on the RCL or Carnival boards).  Also understand that most of us just off NCL were expecting maskless cruising, so you may have run into people who were defying the rules.  On my cruise it was not bad until about 10PM, and then it seemed all bets (and masks) were off.

As for the food, that is very subjective.  I would say NCL is better then Princess, but my last Princess cruise was in 2007, and I vowed to never go back as the ship was in poor repair and it seemed very dirty (again, we all have our opinions).   Did you try any other specialty restaurants?  MDR?  Can we get some context of where you ate?  I find Moderna to be my favorite restaurant and I am part Brazilian and frequent that type of restaurant on land.  I challenge you to spend 48 dollars per person on land and get the same food.  Around me in Raleigh NC it is usually that or more, with less selection on the bar (for sure no specialty seafood salads) and no free drinks.

The security guard was just doing their job, they are trying to strictly restrict people from an area you were not supposed to go to, the job is thankless, and they work super long hours (ask any of them when their day starts and ends).  It could have been that maybe you took it wrong as well.   Also, they don't work for NCL, they work for the pier, so it could have happened no matter the line you boarded.

I agree completely that other lines are fairing worse than NCL when it comes to masks, etc as evidenced by outbreaks across several RCCL ships!

The food overall was better than Princess, I absolutely agree there but it did seem a bit repetitive even on a short trip.  Presentation was much better but the ‘nickel and dimeing’ with so many ala carte restaurants was a bit off putting.  Moderna was alright but as mentioned the crew didn’t seem to want to be there which puts a damper on what should have been an enjoyable experience.  We ate in Moderna, the buffet, Ocean Blue, and had snacks in O’Sheahans (sp?).  We wanted to try Teppanyaki but couldn’t get a good time and the idea of sitting near nose to nose with someone in the noodle bar was not appealing.  

As for the security guard, the issue was less with their presence and more about the way they ‘greeted’ us after being sent to the wrong door in the first place and an obvious lack of visible signage.  I know it’s a thankless job at the best of times but barking at people who are about to start a vacation isn’t necessary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Sorry, @Captain_Morgan Princess is one of Carnival's higher-end lines, maybe P&O also.  Maybe not to the level of Seabourn or Cunard, but it's a step up from 'mainstream'.  NCL is the 'mainstream' line for NCLH while Oceania and Regent are the higher-end.

I agree with the other poster, the fair comparison is Royal Caribbean.  I see NCL as an intermediate between Carnival and Princess even if both Carnival and NCL can be classed as 'mainstream'.

If Princess is considered higher end than they’re either masters of marketing or the definition needs to be revisited as I would consider them more mainstream than upscale, as is the same with P&O where the latter is changing considerably from catering to the ‘old and bold’ to more families and younger passengers overall

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Morgan said:

but it did seem a bit repetitive even on a short trip.

What I found on NCL is that the MDR menu has the 'classics' side and the 'specials' side.  'Classics' are on the menu every day, the 'specials' vary by day and I think they have a rotation of 14 specials menus.

3 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

As for the security guard, the issue was less with their presence and more about the way they ‘greeted’ us after being sent to the wrong door in the first place and an obvious lack of visible signage.

The point wasn't that they were there but that they are not a representative of NCL and you would have had the same experience with the guard if it had been a Princess ship in port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

however, the water pressure was abysmal and was more reminiscent of that in a campground than a cruise ship

It took me 4 days on the Bliss to realize how to increase the shower pressure.  At first it seemed like the dial stopped at low pressure, but if you pressed the button and twisted, it goes further. The same trick works on the other dial to make the water warmer.  

I assume the Getaway has a similar system.  Probably not helpful to you at this point, but it might help other cruisers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hallux said:

Princess is one of Carnival's higher-end lines,

Nah. I've sailed with Princess and NCL and they are comparable. The demographics are different, sure, but the services and amenities are very much comparable. The biggest difference is all the kids crap on NCL ships (slides, parks, carts, etc.) which Princess does not offer.

There is nothing high-end about Princess.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, skent259 said:

It took me 4 days on the Bliss to realize how to increase the shower pressure.  At first it seemed like the dial stopped at low pressure, but if you pressed the button and twisted, it goes further. The same trick works on the other dial to make the water warmer.  

I assume the Getaway has a similar system.  Probably not helpful to you at this point, but it might help other cruisers. 

Oh yes, definitely discovered the dial button on first shower and sadly it was still quite poor pressure.  Upside was there was enough room to move inside the shower without dancing the cha cha with the shower curtain

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

If Princess is considered higher end than they’re either masters of marketing or the definition needs to be revisited as I would consider them more mainstream than upscale, as is the same with P&O where the latter is changing considerably from catering to the ‘old and bold’ to more families and younger passengers overall

I agree Princess is mainstream but even mainstream have a difference in levels.  Think Kia versus Toyota.  I would put Carnival then NCL and RCCl and then maybe a step up would be Celebrity, Princess, HAL.  Just my opinion of course.  I hope you find a line you like and meets your personal needs and expectations.

• Like 2

I think that the "Covid World of cruising..." is going to lead to a lot of disappointment, confusion, and frustration for many. Before even setting foot onto the ship, the OP had to deal with issues that probably wouldn't have been there in 2019.

Those who don't mind the safety protocols will feel a certain way when some guests aren't following and the crew isn't enforcing. Others will not be happy because of the protocols and will resent the cruise from the start.

The crew is going through even more changes than the guests so it's understandable that the crew is confused, frustrated, and mentally drained.

I might be taking some family members on their first cruise. It could be interesting to see how they react when they don't have a reference to "normal" cruising.

Hopefully, the OP will have better cruises in the future whether it's with NCL, Oceania, Regent Seven Seas, Explora, MSC, Celebrity, Seabourn, Silversea, Ritz-Carlton, etc. There are still many different types of cruises that can match what an individual wants...but it can get expen$ive. 😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So how many other cruises, on other lines, have you taken post-covid? it's a different world now.  Crews are new, policies change daily so it is hard to keep up.

I was on the Getaway in October and the crew was happy to be back to work.  But I suppose a few months of trying to herd cats (masks, social distancing, cancelled ports/excursions) and listening to complaints about things over which they (NCL and/or crew members) have no control might just bring down spirits after time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

I agree Princess is mainstream but even mainstream have a difference in levels.  Think Kia versus Toyota.  I would put Carnival then NCL and RCCl and then maybe a step up would be Celebrity, Princess, HAL.  Just my opinion of course.  I hope you find a line you like and meets your personal needs and expectations.

Totally agree about the levels of mainstream, and as another poster mentioned I think the biggest difference is the lack of or inclusion of gimmicky items such as waterslides and climbing things…both of which were virtually empty during our cruise yet still occupied a huge footprint.  
We were hoping the ship itself would be the destination, but sadly the overall experience was quite disappointing despite glimmers of hope along the way. 

We just got off the same cruise and our experience was a lot different from yours.  About the only thing I agree with is the chopped up ship and the closet location in the balcony cabins.  We did very much miss the large interior promenade, dining room, theater and MUCH nicer pool decks on our go to Royal Caribbean ships.

However, we thought the service was excellent.  The “free” drink packages were a nice plus, as was our one free specialty dining voucher, which we used for Le Bistro.  Excellent meal.  We eat all of our dinners in the MDR typically and I would say the the quality and selection is a bit of a step down from Royal but still enjoyable.

Overall had a great cruise.  We will stick with Royal or Celebrity if we can but I would sail NCL again if we had the right group going.

Dan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

We’ve cruised quite a lot on mainstream lines (Princess, P&O) and definitely went in expecting a mainstream experience; however, what we got was pretty subpar when it came to even basic customer service.  As mentioned, the ship was in a good state of repair but between the crew seemingly having no idea about their own offer of testing, lack of enforcement of their own policy, and basic things like being passed in the hallway and being greeted, it really just left the experience feeling less than expected.  

We disembarked from the Getaway on the day you embarked after 28 days on the ship.  I can agree with much of what you have written since many of our experiences were very similar.  We called the ship the SS Miscommunication since much of the communication was flawed (at best).  But we found our way around that by handling many things on our own.

Although we connected with a number of the crew (friendly, helpful and eager to be of service) there was a distinct and perceptible disconnect from many.  Looking the other way instead of greeting you, e.g.  This was especially evident from Senior Crew who passed us literally dozens of times in the nearly 1 month we were onboard and we were greeted, at best, less than a handful of times.  The usual approach was a look to the side, not even meeting eyes with guests.  I realized that many of our sailings have been with Celebrity (mainstream) and Azamara (premium) where officer involvement is far more visible, but even on our 20 or so previous NCL sailings it just seemed that there was much more involvement (and availability if needed).

Overall, we had a decent month onboard, but not one that we will repeat.  Although we still have 5 NCL cruises booked worldwide, we determined that the big ships are simply not our preference by any means (and the last 17 days on Getaway was in the Haven).   We cancelled our Prima cruise while onboard because we've had our fill of long lines for tiny venues (e.g. Sid Normans here and Cavern Club on Epic), reservations being needed too often, etc.  And that was with this ship at only 60% of capacity.  I shudder to think of 100% (actually I don't need to....experienced it on the Epic a couple years ago). 

Strongly disagree about the food.  Found it quite good in Taste/Savor as MDR as well as all of the Specialty restaurants where we dined 11 times.  We did Moderno 3 times and found it close to Fogo de Chao stateside which is considerably more expensive. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

The cabin itself was as expected with enough space to be comfortable but the design/location of the closet was a bit of a pain unless you’re petite (which the majority of passengers onboard were most definitely not) and the couch/seating area was more decorative than comfortable.

39 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

About the only thing I agree with is the chopped up ship and the closet location in the balcony cabins.  

Were these "bed near closet" or "bed near balcony" configuration? Getaway has both for balcony and club balcony staterooms.