On Oasis after waiting 90 minutes family misses ship.

Karter

4 minutes ago, badvector said:

We've been late one time in all of our cruises.  We were about 35 minutes late getting back to port in Costa Maya as there was an accident and we were held up in traffic.  Thankfully we were on a private group excursion that was arranged through Royal.  Guide took pictures as we went by the accident scene as I'm sure Royal wanted answers as to our delay.  We had 10 cruising in in our group.  I was still stressed when we got back even though we knew Royal was holding for us.

Your case isn't anything new. However you weren't standing on the dock smoking your cigarettes for an hour holding up the crew for an hour while the crew was urging you to board the ship. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Your case isn't anything new. However you weren't standing on the dock smoking your cigarettes for an hour holding up the crew for an hour while the crew was urging you to board the ship. :classic_rolleyes:

Those people out smoking where probably out there smoking up a storm because they were a part of that group that where late.  They were probably so nervous waiting for them that they smoked a pack knowing the ship would only wait so long.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Those people out smoking where probably out there smoking up a storm because they were a part of that group that where late.  They were probably so nervous waiting for them that they smoked a pack knowing the ship would only wait so long.

They showed up an hour late then wanted to finish their cigarettes before getting on the ship. They were not part of the family that missed the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Karter said:

They showed up an hour late then wanted to finish their cigarettes before getting on the ship. They were not part of the family that missed the ship.

Such venom towards people who smoke.  Maybe the crew told them it was okay as they were waiting for the family of 8 anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

On liberty port time was 1 hour later than the texas ship time. 

Yeah, meant not the actual Island Time, the "Island Time" as in who looks at the time the Boat will wait... Though since you brought it up been on Fall longer Caribbean Cruises where we would adjust the Ship Clock 3 times a Cruise... All Good...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

We were late once.  A Royal excursion. The heavens opened with tropical  rain and the streets were completely flooded.   It was an open Jeep for 4 and the water from the streets literally came downhill into the back of the Jeep.  Security had our names and checked us off as we boarded drenched.  The excursion was great until the last hour and I never want to do that part again. I was concerned we’d float right out to sea. I think we were only about 30 min late and the ship left as soon as we were all aboard.

We always wear a watch on shore on ship time.  Hard lesson to learn.

21 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We were late once.  A Royal excursion. The heavens opened with tropical  rain and the streets were completely flooded.   It was an open Jeep for 4 and the water from the streets literally came downhill into the back of the Jeep.  Security had our names and checked us off as we boarded drenched.  The excursion was great until the last hour and I never want to do that part again. I was concerned we’d float right out to sea. I think we were only about 30 min late and the ship left as soon as we were all aboard.

We always wear a watch on shore on ship time.  Hard lesson to learn.

Agree, always been 3-4hrs early getting back except once, a Royal Excursion  from Cozumel, Ship didnt leave until Ferry Boat brought us back. By time got back to my Cabin Ship was already moving...

10 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Which of the two time zones in that state was the ship on?

Liberty sails from Galveston so it was on Galveston time. It seems mexico and roatan are on eastern time. People kept asking if they lost a hour. Phones and devices automatically reset for local time, and we were on Galveston time. 

Isn't missing the ship like a "thing" for Nassau? There are so many reports of pier runners and videos of same ... I have a video myself from a Majesty cruise. The guy ran up the pier waving his arms madly ... like he was hailing a cab.

Edited by emeraldcity

As I understand it, the ship goes to the "mssing" person's cabin, gathers their papers, etc.  and gives them to the port agent.  That way they have the credentials to get to the next port/home.  Another good reason to cruise with a passport, not just a driver's license.   We make a photo copy of our passport and keep it with us at all times.  The passport itself lives in the safe in our cabin.

• Like 3

We came close to missing the ship once. Halifax, rented a car to do our own thing. Got stuck in construction traffic on the way to return the rental. Husband ended up dropping me off closer to the port to get on the ship and either try and get them to wait just a little or at the very least so only one of us would need to pay our way back home. He ended up dropping off the car and sprinting back to the ship, getting sick along the way, about 15 minutes after all aboard, but lucked out that an official excursion got back late due to the same construction traffic. 

We were planning on being back an hour before all aboard, but the construction traffic, plus finding a gas station to fill up the rental ate up all that and then some. Now if we rent a car on a cruise we have the gas station picked out before hand

Edited by awestover89
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

We came close to missing the ship once. Halifax, rented a car to do our own thing. Got stuck in construction traffic on the way to return the rental. Husband ended up dropping me off closer to the port to get on the ship and either try and get them to wait just a little or at the very least so only one of us would need to pay our way back home. He ended up dropping off the car and sprinting back to the ship, getting sick along the way, about 15 minutes after all aboard, but lucked out that an official excursion got back late due to the same construction traffic. 

We were planning on being back an hour before all aboard, but the construction traffic, plus finding a gas station to fill up the rental ate up all that and then some. Now if we rent a car on a cruise we have the gas station picked out before hand

Just forget about filling up the car and return it empty. I wouldn't care what the charge from the rental agency is, as long as I make the ship.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Liberty sails from Galveston so it was on Galveston time. It seems mexico and roatan are on eastern time. People kept asking if they lost a hour. Phones and devices automatically reset for local time, and we were on Galveston time. 

But you can temporary disable this function on your phones and devices.

My recommendation is to figure out if the ship time corresponds to local time or initial embarkation time where you check in.

Some cruise lines are consistent on most of their ships where they will adjust their clocks as they cross time zones.  RCCL leaves it to the discretion of the current Captain.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gatour said:

But you can temporary disable this function on your phones and devices.

My recommendation is to figure out if the ship time corresponds to local time or initial embarkation time where you check in.

Some cruise lines are consistent on most of their ships where they will adjust their clocks as they cross time zones.  RCCL leaves it to the discretion of the current Captain.  

Can I ask how you disable the function?  iPhone 11?

44 minutes ago, Scooters said:

As I understand it, the ship goes to the "mssing" person's cabin, gathers their papers, etc.  and gives them to the port agent.  That way they have the credentials to get to the next port/home.  Another good reason to cruise with a passport, not just a driver's license.   We make a photo copy of our passport and keep it with us at all times.  The passport itself lives in the safe in our cabin.

Simply scan and email yourself a copy.  Then you can access it anywhere you can access the internet.  This way you really don’t need to carry around a photo copy.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Seems so odd that 8 people can all screw it up.

It was a family group and I'm betting one person made themselves the one "in charge" of their day.  That's what usually happens.  

• Like 1