Live from the Explorer, from new Regent Cruisers…

gcorgain

Hi. We are Greg and Aaron, sailing for the first time on Regent. We have been pretty happy Celebrity suite passengers, but are looking for some new itineraries, and Celebrity had raised their suite prices tremendously during the pandemic. After doing a lot of research, we settled on trying out Regent. So now we are live on the Explorer. I had intended to post daily, starting yesterday, but we had an unfortunate situation that consumed us.

A little about us…

We are a gay married couple of 15 years, and reside in the Los Angeles suburb of Woodland Hills. I’m in Technology, and Aaron is in housing at “a major research University”. I’m mid 50’s and Aaron is mid 40’s. Yes, I think we are the youngest on the ship, but we are loving our interaction with most guests. Although several have mistaken us for crew! J

Current Explorer environment…

Explorer is sailing with approximately 450 passengers. The COVID restrictions haven’t really changed. We are to wear masks except when distanced outdoors or when eating/drinking. Drink service has been suspended in the theater, but you can bring in a drink if you want. I am very happy to report that I have seen 100% compliance. We will see how the trip progresses, but I certainly was concerned leading up to the trip, but right now everything feels like we are in a little bit of a bubble from all the COVID news elsewhere.

One thing that has changed is with embarkation. Instead of the process that has been described of someone copying your COVID Vaccination card, you fill out a short form with some of the info at check in.The agent then verifies that. It seems more efficient, as we were onboard in less than 30 minutes (including the COVID testing process).

Impressions…

As I stated earlier, I had read cruise critic for months, watched every YouTube video on Regent, Crystal, Seabourne, and Silverseas, and talked to my friends who had sailed luxury lines. The following are my initial thoughts…

BIG SURPRISE #1: We are usually a bit introverted and rarely meet people on cruises. We have already had more lengthy and interesting conversations with people on this ship and the pre-cruise hotel then we have had on all our other cruises put together.

BIG SURPRISE #2: Great Entertainment. Honestly, this was the area I was expecting Celebrity to be better, and boy was I wrong. The lounge entertainment has been fantastic, particularly Natural Duo. Last night was the first production show, and while it lacked some of the big production values, the cast was all first rate. Also I had read that none of the music was more recent then the early 70’s, but that has proven incorrect as well, with last night’s show featuring Lady Gaga’s greatest hits (among others). That isn’t to say you can’t get plenty of older music as well, but rather a nice variety.

EXCELLENT, as Expected: There were several things that I expected to impress, and they have not failed. The Ship’s décor, dining, bar, and pool service have been great. We are in a Concierge Suite, and while not as spacious as some of our Celebrity Suites, it is very nice. The bathroom and balcony in particular stand out, and the generous storage is a bonus.

JUST OK: Our room attendant does a decent job, but this is one area where I unexpectedly think I have had better Celebrity experiences. Only one real complaint: We asked for a bottle of Grey Goose and club soda for the suite, she came back several hours later and said “all you can have is Absolut” and left a 1 liters bottle and 1 can of Club Soda. When queried she said that they have no Grey Goose. I said that’s odd, because it is in every bar, and she just turned and left.

EPIC FAIL: There has been one really bad experience on the cruise, and unfortunately it is fairly major in my opinion. We were traveling with another couple in their late 70’s. They have been together 50 years. One of them fell out of their bed overnight and sustained life threatening injuries. He was taken to the hospital and shortly thereafter medi-vac’d to Miami. He is in the ICU currently. Regent handled the medical part fine. Despite assurances to his spouse to “handle everything” they had a major service failure. They promised to help with packing, disembarking, luggage assistance, and help with arranging transportation to Miami for his spouse. Instead we were transferred several times among departments who kept saying it was some one else’s job. After several hours of no progress, I took matters into my own hands and packed, arranged Uber and Rental Car, and when Regent couldn’t even help with the luggage and wheelchairs, personally took his distraught spouse to get the rental car. The only help was that they sent someone to help with luggage (but he could only go as far as security we were told). Then we had to wait a lengthy period while security validated we could leave. All while he was told his husband could die at any time. I must say that my mother had an accident a few years ago on a Celebrity cruise, and the way that this was handled was night and day from that experience, and not in a good way.

OK, that is a long winded start to this. I will try to update every day and answer any questions that people have.

Greg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Sorry for the sad start to your cruise. Hope your friend recovers soon. 
 But please continue to report on your trip, those of stuck at home really enjoy hearing from the brave ones!

Greg, thanks for the post and hopefully more updates from your trip. Sorry to hear about your travel companions accident and all the issues around it. Usually Regent would handle this just fine, but something is not right here (new staff ? ), Still, you are correct, this should have done diff. 

Hope things will be ok and hope he/she will recover quickly. 

Glad to hear that people are compliant with the masks and other covid measures. There was another post where it was mentioned that during shows...the lights go down, the masks come off (could be a new song 🙂 ) and he wasn't happy about it. 

If you don't mind, pls keep us posted throughout the trip...if there are covid numbers you find out, pls let us know as well. I hope there are none...but there were a few last trip. 

All the best and have fun. 

Wow, I am really surprised by the lack of help from Regent regarding your friend, particularly since the accident happened on the ship.  Not what I have seen or would expect from Regent—a major fail really.   Hoping your friend recovers.

We are also sorry to hear about your friend’s accident and hope for a speedy recovery.  I concur with comment above and would seek out the General Manager ASAP.  This incident needs to get elevated and resolved. Also,  in regards to not getting your Grey Goose delivered to your suite, hop into the Food and Beverage (F&B) Manager’s office and let them know of your request.  For that matter, any bartender can send you a bottle to your suite.  We had a similar issue in October in that a brand I requested was not available and the F&B Manager called and sent us a note of apology which was totally unnecessary but appreciated. 
I hope you guys have a great cruise and hope you book another one while onboard (discount) and enjoy Regent as much as we do. 
Z and TB

• Like 1

What a wonderful piece of writing!   I am very interested in your fresh impressions of Regent.  I can only imagine the angst you experienced trying to get your friend situated. I’m really surprised at the lack of hands on help.   We had a minor, but worrisome, incident as we debarked in New Zealand one cruise.   On the last night my friend came down with a wicked strep throat - Fever, difficulty swallowing, malaise.  We were to leave the ship at 8 but the medical officer put her on an IV drip at 7.  Her husband, an M D, anticipated the possibility of hospitalization in Aukland.  But, Regent let us cool our jets in the reception lobby, Davor, our GM, went off the ship to locate our rental car delivery, the CD came around for updates.   My friend recuperated on a lounge by the pool until she felt good enough to depart.  This certainly was not as catastrophic as what your friends endured but it is a small example of the kindness and gentility we expect from Regent.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind words. With regards to the situation with my friend, I must admit I was honestly very surprised as it seems out of character from my limited exposure to Regent. I think I will have a conversation with the GM tomorrow, so that hopefully the next person would not experience the same treatment. 

I will also ask for the Grey Goose from one of the friendly bartenders!

• Like 10

We sail both Celebrity in suites and Regent. We are planning to be on Explorer in May in Europe. 
Can not wait to hear your take on the similarities and differences. I recognize you from the Celebrity message board.

I love Celebrity and Luminae but Regent is a step above when it comes to food.

• Like 1

We are "scheduled" for the next Explorer cruise, San Diego to Miami.  Will REALLY appreciate updates on goings on, especially any Covid problems.

Hope the remainder of your voyage is wonderfully remarkable!

Aside from the worrisome treatment of your friend, the Grey Goose omission in tragic! I was heartbroken (well...I exaggerate a little!) that the ship did not have Hendrick's. OMG, the horror!

Anyway, my husband tried Belvedere as a change up from Grey Goose. Should it be an actual disaster that you cannot get GG in your cabin, might I suggest Belvedere.....might be a reasonable substitute. 

5 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I tried both a recent Silversea cruise and thought they were comparable. I really liked Chopin vodka. 

mmmmm! Me too! I'm not sure, but don't believe Regent stocks it....probably went bye bye with the Hendrick's........geez!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

mmmmm! Me too! I'm not sure, but don't believe Regent stocks it....probably went bye bye with the Hendrick's........geez!

We have enjoyed Chopin on RSSC - but haven't been on a ship for over two years so maybe it is gone.

• Like 1

Please keep us posted, we were long time Celebrity suite sailors until we switched to Regent almost 200 nights ago.  We just did a short Alaska cruise on the Millenium and enjoyed it very much but found it different.  The suite perks were excellent but if the ship had been full, I don't think the experience would have been the same.  We sail on the Explorer in March and are looking forward to your adventures and comparison.

27 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I was heartbroken (well...I exaggerate a little!) that the ship did not have Hendrick's.

Is this something new or just on your cruise? No Hendrick’s? That would be tragic. I’m looking forward to a Hendricks and Fever Tree Tonic when we board!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, macbest said:

Is this something new or just on your cruise? No Hendrick’s? That would be tragic. I’m looking forward to a Hendricks and Fever Tree Tonic when we board!

So was I....exactly the same drink....with cucumber. Nope, no Hendrick's. I didn't investigate further if it was a supply issue, but was just told there was no Hendrick's. I was not happy, but did manage to choke down a few other "treats"! (giggle!)

• Like 1