Live from the Explorer, from new Regent Cruisers…

gcorgain

21 hours ago, gcorgain said:

but that Cartagena would be a technical stop due to their changing rules and no passengers would be allowed off the ship. So effectively another sea day. That is a minor disappointment, but one we were prepared for.

Aahhh, I have an upcoming Mexican Riviera/Panama Canal cruise on Bliss in two weeks. I've been getting travel alerts about Columbia since last November. I just learned that they are now requesting that all sea passengers be tested 72 hours before arriving in port. I called NCL, and they assured me they are prepared for that. But it sounds like Nicaragua: another sea day 🙄. Oh well, I expected as much from both those ports anyway.

My first Regent sailing will be on Splendor this December to the Eastern Caribbean, and I really can't wait. 😆

53 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

I can't agree more. I absolutely hated Celebrity's shows. The sets were awesome, but (to me) the music sucked. 

I loved your post, and am so shocked by the service your friends got for their emergency.

I read that on Regent all guests get the same level service, but guests in Penthouse & Named Suites get more attention, but not better service. I was surprised by the incident with the vodka.

Named suites have certain advantages as do people with a lot of nights and people who have spent a lot of money recently...I do not think there is a priority for Penthouses aside from the butler. There is a VIP list created for each cruise and given to certain staff members.

14 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Raspberries in ANYTHING is delicious. I also like them in my bubbly. Blackberries in a glass of champers is also yummy!

Funny, I thought I read “booze in ANYTHING is delicious!” As a true BM&M Society member would say.  
Z and TB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I pretty much believe in everything should have booze, hot sauce, or cheese. Sometimes more than one…

As for Cartagena the Captain said that first they added a PCR testing requirement, which Regent was ready to do. But then they said they wanted to also randomly test people as they were disembarking, which would make the tours untenable. That is the reason we are just refueling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gcorgain said:

I pretty much believe in everything should have booze, hot sauce, or cheese. Sometimes more than one…

As for Cartagena the Captain said that first they added a PCR testing requirement, which Regent was ready to do. But then they said they wanted to also randomly test people as they were disembarking, which would make the tours untenable. That is the reason we are just refueling. 

Wow!  We are booked on the return leg, SD to MIA, so, I presume Columbia is out for us, too.  But, being optimistic, things change quickly, and revenue generating passengers may change the minds of the powers that be!

• Like 1

Thank you for posting your experiences.

As many others have stated, the manner your friends were handled with the medical emergency does need to be reported.  But also, you will get a mid-cruise survey.  This needs to be described in the survey.  If you have talked with the hotel manager by this time, explain this in the concern.

Really happy to see your postings, Greg. We, too, are longtime committed Celebrity suite cruisers soon to embark on our first Regent cruise (Explorer on 2/14). I was a bit concerned about the entertainment but your reports have alleviated that. In fact, with the exception of the medical issue (and maybe the vodka), you've got me looking even more forward to our journey. We once tried Silver Sea but found it expensively disappointing (food was very good, but not exceptional; entertainment was both limited and boring) and quickly returned to Celebrity. But Regent has some interesting Med itineraries so thought we'd give them a try in the Caribbean before committing to Europe.

I have a couple of minor questions if you have time:

1. Was your pre-cruise hotel in Miami the Mandarin Oriental? If so, how was it?

2. Kind of like your vodka situation, I asked if ouzo was available and was told "probably not", so we'll stock our bar with Irish whisky and bourbon. I know it's not a beverage the masses look for, but have you seen any ouzo in a shipboard bar?

Your postings have given us some great first-timer information. Thanks and please keep it up.

32 minutes ago, XtaSea said:

Really happy to see your postings, Greg. We, too, are longtime committed Celebrity suite cruisers soon to embark on our first Regent cruise (Explorer on 2/14). I was a bit concerned about the entertainment but your reports have alleviated that. In fact, with the exception of the medical issue (and maybe the vodka), you've got me looking even more forward to our journey. We once tried Silver Sea but found it expensively disappointing (food was very good, but not exceptional; entertainment was both limited and boring) and quickly returned to Celebrity. But Regent has some interesting Med itineraries so thought we'd give them a try in the Caribbean before committing to Europe.

I have a couple of minor questions if you have time:

1. Was your pre-cruise hotel in Miami the Mandarin Oriental? If so, how was it?

2. Kind of like your vodka situation, I asked if ouzo was available and was told "probably not", so we'll stock our bar with Irish whisky and bourbon. I know it's not a beverage the masses look for, but have you seen any ouzo in a shipboard bar?

Your postings have given us some great first-timer information. Thanks and please keep it up.

we've seen Ouzo (and had it) a few times in the past, but usually on the mediterranean itineraries. Never seen it in the Carribean or Americas. Substituted with Pernod 🙂

Hi, I haven’t seen Ouzo, sorry. Our pre cruise  hotel was the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne and we liked it very much. We ended up coming in for a second night and both nights the bar ended up being mostly Regent cruisers, almost a pre party situation.  

the bus to the ship was only half full, but a little hectic. I think that might be because everyone was eager to get through the COVID test. 

The shoe fell…

This morning Aaron woke up with a runny nose and a bit of a cough. I felt fine. We decided we should get tested and this afternoon we both tested positive. So we get to stay in our room for the next ten days. Ugh. I thought they would move us, but apparently the quarantine cabins are full already. 

The medical, contract tracing, and executive concierge are being nice, but this is a bummer of a way to spend your vacation. Especially as I feel fine and Aaron effectively has a cold. Still we don’t want to spread COVID so we will settle in. Happy to answer questions about this experience as we go along…

• Like 1

All they have said regarding cases is on Day 2 that there were “a few” employee cases. Then last night they said a few employees had failed their weekly tests. Nothing about case counts. We had asked a couple of crew members but they said they didn’t know. 

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You are 4 days in and the quarantine cabins are full already?

All new staff have to quarantine seven days before they can assume duty; therefore there is a significant larger crew size than are actually working.  On Splendor there were 441 crew on one report and then 553 later.

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

All new staff have to quarantine seven days before they can assume duty; therefore there is a significant larger crew size than are actually working.  On Splendor there were 441 crew on one report and then 553 later.

Aren't they on Explorer?

We are on Explorer. I don’t know who or why is in the quarantine cabins, just that they are full. I was told that some might open up towards the end of our quarantine and we might be asked to move, but I will try to resist that if I can at all. If this is good enough for 7 or 8 days, it should be good for 10.

• Like 1

It is the new CDC policy. Interesting enough Regent makes you quarantine for 10 days if on the ship, but 5 days on land. And if you are on Day 7 say when your cruise ends, you can just leave. No need to finish the quarantine. 

Pcarded or other knowledgeable folks, are we supposed to get a FCC or something for our days in quarantine? I thought I remembered something about that…

1 hour ago, gcorgain said:

So we get to stay in our room for the next ten days.

So sorry for your plight; every cruiser’s nightmare at this time.

Have you any idea when or where you picked up the virus?

Presumably some crew members and other guests will be required to isolate for a period (until testing negative?) as a result of contact tracing

30 minutes ago, gcorgain said:

It is the new CDC policy. Interesting enough Regent makes you quarantine for 10 days if on the ship, but 5 days on land. And if you are on Day 7 say when your cruise ends, you can just leave. No need to finish the quarantine. 

Pcarded or other knowledgeable folks, are we supposed to get a FCC or something for our days in quarantine? I thought I remembered something about that…

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a refund?
Guests who are quarantined and/or disembarked due to a positive COVID-19 test, immediate travel party or close contact as defined above should submit an insurance claim for trip interruption. Proof of claim denial from insurance carrier, proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider prior to flying to embarkation port, as well as all receipts are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, Regent will provide a pro-rata Future Cruise Credit (FCC) on the amount of cruise fare paid based on the number of nights sailed; the FCC will post to the guest’s account within 30 days. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any reservation within one (1) year on any Regent voyage departing within two (2) years. Alternatively, guest may request a pro-rata monetary refund to the original form of payment** on file by sending an email to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever. ** If any portion of the booking has previously applied Future Cruise Credits, those Future Cruise Credits will be reinstated to the guest’s account and are non-refundable.