Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, erber said:

The Canadian regulations apply to anyone cruising either from a Canadian port or has a Canadian port on their itinerary. They have just changed the antigen testing requirement to within 2 days before boarding (instead of 1 day). This change is in the April 1st Canadian regulations. 

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Now we just need Princess to update their FAQ's, as they still show Antigen 1 day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, erber said:

The Canadian regulations apply to anyone cruising either from a Canadian port or has a Canadian port on their itinerary. They have just changed the antigen testing requirement to within 2 days before boarding (instead of 1 day). This change is in the April 1st Canadian regulations. 

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Antigen test requirement is now within 2 days. I wonder why did not use the 3 days requirement for PCR test, instead they use 72hrs.  I wonder if that will have an effect on which exact time/day I need to do the test for an Alaska cruise that leaves on a Sunday. 

Under Princess PCR test rule, we could do the test any time 3 days before so that makes it a Thursday(any time during Thurs).   

Now I am confuse. Will need to think this through now, sigh.

24 minutes ago, dchan865 said:

Antigen test requirement is now within 2 days. I wonder why did not use the 3 days requirement for PCR test, instead they use 72hrs.  I wonder if that will have an effect on which exact time/day I need to do the test for an Alaska cruise that leaves on a Sunday. 

Under Princess PCR test rule, we could do the test any time 3 days before so that makes it a Thursday(any time during Thurs).   

Now I am confuse. Will need to think this through now, sigh.

The 72 hours vs 3 days could indeed present a problem. Also princess says "PCR test" and Canada regs say "molecular test." I am trying to figure out if Walgreens NAAT ID Now test, which is a rapid molecular test, qualifies as a PCR type / molecular test  for Canada. Since my cruise is on wed June 1, working back 2 days I would have  antigen test on Memorial day. Have to figure out if CVS or Walgreens will do tests that day. If not, I need to do a PCR / molecular test on Sunday the 29th but late enough in the day it doesn't violate the " within 72 hour rule. " It shouldn't be this hard to travel.....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, d9704011 said:

If the cruise originates in Seattle, any necessary Covid testing has nothing to do with Canada.

The ship will make a stop in Victoria.  In addition, we have booked a trip that goes into Canada.

• Like 1

To make your head really spin....If I were to get a PCR test on Sunday at 4:00 EDT ( that is really 1:00 PDT in Canada) but I don't board until 4:00 Alaska time is 4 hours earlier than EDT on Wednesday have I also violated the 72 hour rule???? We have booked the Alaska Cruise Transfer bus from Anchorage to Whittier including the wildlife conservancy visit so we won't probably board until 4:30 or 5 p.m. that Wednesday So if I wanted a covid test on the previous Sunday, Walgreens wouldn't probably even have tests available late enough that day to qualify so I would have to do the PCR test on Memorial Day, if they do testing then. This is really ridiculous. Now I am back to thinking I need to get the rapid antigen test on memorial day if it is available. 

• Like 1

According to ArriveCAN you don’t need a pre-entry test if you are fully vaccinated 

Pre-entry testing (accepted types, timing)

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

I think everyone is confusing pre cruise testing with ArriveCAN. All of Princess Cruises Canada cruise testing talks about 3 day PCR tests. Hours should not make a difference. There is no requirement for testing to enter the country

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

I think everyone is confusing pre cruise testing with ArriveCAN. All of Princess Cruises Canada cruise testing talks about 3 day PCR tests. Hours should not make a difference. There is no requirement for testing to enter the country

My issue was that Princess said test 3 days prior, but info from Canada specifically said test within 72 hrs. Now I don’t have to worry about what time my test is😊

10 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

My issue was that Princess said test 3 days prior, but info from Canada specifically said test within 72 hrs. Now I don’t have to worry about what time my test is😊

My cruise is embarking from LA and won’t get to La for 5 days so I don’t see how the 72 hours would work except for ArriveCan

Canada has specific rules for passengers of cruise ships. The link below are regulations dated April 1, 2022. 

This is where I am concerned about pre-cruise testing requirements. It seems clear that such are required whether vaccinated or not if you are going on a cruise ship that has Canadian ports. I would believe the Canada regs more than Princess' website statements on the requirements. Canada says 72 hours for PCR test, not 3 days. 

25 minutes ago, erber said:

Canada has specific rules for passengers of cruise ships. The link below are regulations dated April 1, 2022. 

This is where I am concerned about pre-cruise testing requirements. It seems clear that such are required whether vaccinated or not if you are going on a cruise ship that has Canadian ports. I would believe the Canada regs more than Princess' website statements on the requirements. Canada says 72 hours for PCR test, not 3 days. 

I believe this might apply to cruises embarking in Canada but there is no way they can apply to cruises embarking in the U S and then getting to Canada a week or so later

53 minutes ago, memoak said:

I believe this might apply to cruises embarking in Canada but there is no way they can apply to cruises embarking in the U S and then getting to Canada a week or so later

The Canadian embarkation requirements also apply to any cruise ship entering Canadian waters during the cruise.

But just to add to the confusion the link provided says 2 days for an antigen test but Arrivecan and Princess say 1 day.  uggggh

All these rules are making my head spins.

Princess site(FAQ last updated 3/31/22) still show PCR test requirement for that includes Canada is 3 days instead of 72hr.    So I don't know which we should follow Princess or Canadian rule.  But I don't think its a show stopper for us. We'll just do the PCR test later on a Thurs afternoon. We should still get the result back by Saturday evening(fingers crossed). If we don't get result back in time by Sunday morning, we'll just do the dang monitored covid antigen test at hotel. And in case if there is a problem, we'll just pay for the dang test at the Seattle cruise terminal if its available or a nearby clinic. 

Any one that cruised Alaska in 2021 know if Princess has a testing station  in terminal or a contracted rapid test vendor near the terminal?

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

I missed those days when we could just pack up and cruise without jumping through so many hoops.

1 hour ago, dchan865 said:

All these rules are making my head spins.

Princess site(FAQ last updated 3/31/22) still show PCR test requirement for that includes Canada is 3 days instead of 72hr.    So I don't know which we should follow Princess or Canadian rule.  But I don't think its a show stopper for us. We'll just do the PCR test later on a Thurs afternoon. We should still get the result back by Saturday evening(fingers crossed). If we don't get result back in time by Sunday morning, we'll just do the dang monitored covid antigen test at hotel. And in case if there is a problem, we'll just pay for the dang test at the Seattle cruise terminal if its available or a nearby clinic. 

Any one that cruised Alaska in 2021 know if Princess has a testing station  in terminal or a contracted rapid test vendor near the terminal?

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

I missed those days when we could just pack up and cruise without jumping through so many hoops.

We cruised out of Seattle last August and at that time they did the testing on board.  But I think they all have testing at the pier for those that need a test to fly home.  Not sure if you have to make an appointment but I think I saw on the Princess site they start booking 10 days out.

We are flying from Ireland via UK to Vancouver on 25th May,  staying 3 nights in Vancouver, plan to get an Antigen test on the second day to cover the 2 day window, ( anybody any suggestions for Antigen testing in Vancouver ?) We board the Royal Princess on May 28th for a 7 day cruise followed by a 5 day land tour. Does anybody know if we will be tested at the end of the cruise at Whittler before we embark  on the land tour and will we require to be tested before we fly down to San Francisco from Anchorage when the trip is completed ?We both carry US Passports. By far the most complicated cruise we have done, only for making final payment we would cancel especially after reading Blogging from the Ruby Princess.

40 minutes ago, Munsterguy said:

We are flying from Ireland via UK to Vancouver on 25th May,  staying 3 nights in Vancouver, plan to get an Antigen test on the second day to cover the 2 day window, ( anybody any suggestions for Antigen testing in Vancouver ?) We board the Royal Princess on May 28th for a 7 day cruise followed by a 5 day land tour. Does anybody know if we will be tested at the end of the cruise at Whittler before we embark  on the land tour and will we require to be tested before we fly down to San Francisco from Anchorage when the trip is completed ?We both carry US Passports. By far the most complicated cruise we have done, only for making final payment we would cancel especially after reading Blogging from the Ruby Princess.

Suggest you have a look through this thread for testing options in Vancouver...

The Princess website has updated info as of today for trips involving Canada. PCR within 3 days or antigen within 1 day. Since you are boarding a Princess ship I would use this. Also must fill out ArriveCAN within 72 hours of boarding

I am a bit late to the party so I apologize if I am asking something that has been asked and answered on a prior post in the 22 pages of discussion.  We are traveling on a land/cruise tour (all booked with Princess) starting in Fairbanks on July 12 and boarding the ship in Whittier on July 16.  A few questions:

1.  How does the pre-boarding testing get done in this case.  Given the advance time frames, it seems that the tests would have to be done while either on the land portion of the tour or at the port (presumably by Princess)?

2.  Does anyone have any information on what vaccination exemptions Princess is allowing for children under 12.

Appreciate any information that folks can provide.  Thanks much!

6 minutes ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

I am a bit late to the party so I apologize if I am asking something that has been asked and answered on a prior post in the 22 pages of discussion.  We are traveling on a land/cruise tour (all booked with Princess) starting in Fairbanks on July 12 and boarding the ship in Whittier on July 16.  A few questions:

1.  How does the pre-boarding testing get done in this case.  Given the advance time frames, it seems that the tests would have to be done while either on the land portion of the tour or at the port (presumably by Princess)?

2.  Does anyone have any information on what vaccination exemptions Princess is allowing for children under 12.

Appreciate any information that folks can provide.  Thanks much!

This is the most recent information posted on Princess.com:

UPDATED: Do testing requirements differ for cruise or cruisetour itineraries that include Canada?

Yes, based on current Canadian requirements for voyages that include Canada on their cruise itinerary, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding the ship:

• Within 1 day for Antigen
  • Within 3 days for PCR 

Children aged two to four (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) will require a medically observed negative viral PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days before boarding, plus an antigen test taken at the terminal (complimentary).

We’re working closely with Canadian health authorities to manage updates as policies evolve and will advise booked guests of any changes as they occur.

For cruisetours that begin with the landtour, guests do not need to be tested prior to their landtour. We will facilitate and cover the cost of testing for these guests toward the end of the landtour prior to their embarkation. No testing is required for disembarkation in Vancouver.

For cruisetours that end with the landtour, guests are not required to be tested prior to disembarkation.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

The Princess website health protocols has all the info (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/) about vaccine requirements for kids.  Basically kids 5 and up must be vaccinated because a vaccine is available.

Edited by capriccio

11 minutes ago, capriccio said:

The Princess website health protocols has all the info (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/) about vaccine requirements for kids.  Basically kids 5 and up must be vaccinated because a vaccine is available.

I appreciate your help on this.  But when I look at the website it just says to call Princess about available exemptions without indicating what kinds of exemptions they will consider.  I was hoping that someone might have been in contact with them and had an idea about what specific exemptions they would consider.  Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, H2O Polo Willie said:

I appreciate your help on this.  But when I look at the website it just says to call Princess about available exemptions without indicating what kinds of exemptions they will consider.  I was hoping that someone might have been in contact with them and had an idea about what specific exemptions they would consider.  Thanks again.

I believe (but I could be wrong) that this is going to depend on if you are R/T US (say out of Seattle) or if Vancouver is your point of Embarkation/Disembarkation.  Canada, if I am reading things right, is only allowing exemptions for Canadian citizens.  I believe the US will allow for under 12, medical (such as some chronic disease medications, etc.), and religious.  I also think that if you are considering applying for one that you do so sooner rather than later.  I believe that the CDC guidance only allows the ship (for those participating in the program, which Princess is) to be up to 5% unvaccinated and Princess has handled these in a first come, first served manner, so you need to make sure that it would even be possible on your voyage.

10 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

I believe (but I could be wrong) that this is going to depend on if you are R/T US (say out of Seattle) or if Vancouver is your point of Embarkation/Disembarkation.  Canada, if I am reading things right, is only allowing exemptions for Canadian citizens.  I believe the US will allow for under 12, medical (such as some chronic disease medications, etc.), and religious.  I also think that if you are considering applying for one that you do so sooner rather than later.  I believe that the CDC guidance only allows the ship (for those participating in the program, which Princess is) to be up to 5% unvaccinated and Princess has handled these in a first come, first served manner, so you need to make sure that it would even be possible on your voyage.

From the Princess website (https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/)

Will you offer any exemptions to your vaccination standards?

We manage an exemption process for a small number of guests who are ineligible for vaccines, subject to the regulations of the ports we visit. Exemptions are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Children under five years old (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) are not required to apply for a vaccine exemption but must still follow all other requirements for unvaccinated guests.

To request an exemption, please call us:

• North America: 1-800-PRINCESS
  • United Kingdom: 0344 338 8663

Please note that Canada is not currently supporting a process for exemptions to vaccination for embarkation or disembarkation in Canada (e.g. Vancouver) for non-Canadian citizens. Cruises beginning or ending in Canada will require 100% of guests to be fully vaccinated, except for children under 12. Find out if you can enter Canada at travel.gc.ca^.

• Like 1