Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

3 hours ago, nini said:

Which website says 72 hours? I thought the Princess website states 2 or 3 days. They also give an example: if your cruise leaves on a Monday, then you can test on Friday for 3 days ahead orSaturday for 2 days ahead.

Princesses own . It lists the window as 2 or 3 days for USA departures but for Canada PCR test it lists 72 hours. CruiseHealth FAQ page.

9 hours ago, Punxybill said:

We are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver 6/25 on Princess. Vaxxed and boosted, plan on getting the PCR test at home. What is the testing window? Website says 72 hours, is that from departure time, boarding time or simply 3 days prior to departure date. Would like to receive our results before flying west on Friday morning but within the window required to board the ship. Hoping to test Wednesday if that is possible, if not Thursday morning. Thank you

Found the testing info on the Canadian gov. Website. The rule for PCR test is 72 hours from scheduled embarkation time. So for us any time after 10:30 am on Wednesday is fine and should have results by Thursday eve.

12 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Two questions about proctored tests:

1. Does the proctor observe the test card during 15-minute wait time? I had the impression you reestablished contact after 15 minutes, but obviously you could substitute another test.

2. Several sites offer to proctor the free government test kit, OnePoint as low as $9.99. Are these accepted by Princess?

I can answer the first question. On the BinaxNow tests we've done, you need to keep the card visible to the camera for the entire time. The proctor will come back on after the fifteen minutes, but the card had to be visible the entire time. I can't tell you whether someone watched it continuously, but they can check to see if the card has been swapped. No honor system here. 

Can't help you with question 2.

Kevin

1 hour ago, kml246 said:

I can answer the first question. On the BinaxNow tests we've done, you need to keep the card visible to the camera for the entire time. The proctor will come back on after the fifteen minutes, but the card had to be visible the entire time. I can't tell you whether someone watched it continuously, but they can check to see if the card has been swapped. No honor system here. 

Kevin

You should also make sure that you have adequate bandwidth.  We had some connectivity problems in our hotel room when taking the test.  If you lose the connection, you have to start over with a new test.

2 hours ago, kml246 said:

Kevin

That answers my question, I had not thought of using a Proctor until I saw comments about CVS etc. no longer testing. We need a test on Saturday in Sept and our Kaiser only has one facility open Saturday, the one that is furthest from us 😞

8 hours ago, nini said:

Which website says 72 hours? I thought the Princess website states 2 or 3 days. They also give an example: if your cruise leaves on a Monday, then you can test on Friday for 3 days ahead orSaturday for 2 days ahead.

Recheck the FAQ’s. Any cruise embarking from a Canadian port if using OCR test the time frame is 72 hours. For the proctored antigen test it is 2 days

3 hours ago, kml246 said:

Kevin

Our cards had a scannable code, possibly they recheck it when they come back to be sure it matches?  When I tested I wondered if there was someone out there with screen whose job it is to 'watch' a bunch of cards, like a Zoom meeting with test cards!

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Haha 2

Is it the type of test or the medically observed that is the issue? I'm wondering if we'd be OK taking an antigen test in front of our local (non-US) nurse or doctor, and having them sign off that we didn't do anything sus with it, or if we should book the full PCR? 

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Our cards had a scannable code, possibly they recheck it when they come back to be sure it matches?  When I tested I wondered if there was someone out there with screen whose job it is to 'watch' a bunch of cards, like a Zoom meeting with test cards!

Good point, it was just an idle thought I had while reading about a person who had taken the test. Seemed like too big a flaw in the process.

Medically observed fall under two categories:

1.  Taken at a pharmacy like CVS/Walgreens where the test is observed by a medical professional AND processed (either in house or sent out).  Results are returned via email document.

2.  There are a few at home tests that are "monitored" via online with a medical professional from start to finish and results are sent via email.

I am not sure a "home test" taken in front of a nurse or doctor will qualify.  I don't think they have the ability to produce the required document that proves positive/negative results.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Good point, it was just an idle thought I had while reading about a person who had taken the test. Seemed like too big a flaw in the process.

It's the next step that flawed.

Anyone can create a test certificate you don't even need to take a test

They don't get checked.

Same with vaccination paperwork.

EU UK went to a lot effort to stop forgery but cruise lines don't use it.

We were planning to get the rapid NAAT COVID test at Walgreens on Sunday July 3, 2022 for Princess cruisetour land July 5th arrival in Fairbanks, for their newer requirements. This because  Walgreens  are closed on July 4th. We are hopeful that it's  acceptable vs similar PCR test, which is acceptable for ship boarding per Princess web. Also, since it's too early to schedule hoping they don't  discontinue. 

I'm not in the US so it would be a very long commute to a Walgreens/CVS. 🙂 

My biggest worry is that the laboratory we use here only provides results in the local language which is not English (and not close enough to fake it) and I'll end up in 'certified translation' hell. I'll check in directly with the cruise line and find out what they will accept and see if I can get a lab that will give me results in a reasonable timeframe and in English. 

For others; here it is from:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-may-6-2022

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected from the person at least 10 days and no more than 180 days before the person initially boards the cruise ship.

23 minutes ago, ktcishot said:

Sure hope so! Have an appointment next week!

Let us know if Princess accepts it. I would think they will, they don't do an exhaustive check when they look at the document.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

Can we bring a test kit with us and take it at the embarkation pier in front of a crew member.  NCL is doing tests at the pier (San Pedro) and it's only 20 minutes until they read the results and let you board.

Are they medically trained?  Unless you are sure I would not count on it. Do you know if the NCL people are medically trained or not?